Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

redshirt posted:

Year of Hell, but it's just another Monday with Neelix

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

Some Voyager episodes are hands down excellent, really interesting sci fi concepts executed well with characters (at times) you can care about.

Agree with the Kazon discussion above. They mostly sucked. Then there were the garbage collectors. But the Vidiians holy crap, a species that will steal your organs right out of your body in a snap if you let them get close to you? Scary dudes and Voyager managed to create a little empathy for them as well. Maybe the show took too long to pivot to more interesting bad guys.

Chakotay being mind controlled to fight for the "good guys" was a great episode. Anything with quasi Native American stuff probably not and they leaned into it for a few episodes in the first few seasons.

As a whole Voyager went too long, had more weak or unlikable characters than good ones, and spun out quite a few meh episodes.

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

CainFortea posted:

I think the biggest hump to liking voyager is Chakotay.

Im doing a watch through and I'm already preemptively irritated that he is romantically involved with 7 of 9. I used to live in the country and we had an antenna and the channel that played Voyager back to back was the only channel that had any signal strength in a blizzard. I guess that's my excuse for liking Star trek as a whole.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Endless Trash posted:

I love the thesaurus people episode!

They're called the Voth.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Jimbone Tallshanks posted:

They're called the Voth.

:golfclap:

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Voyager immediately dropping the Starfleet/Maquis tensions (except for the annual 'Maquis stuff' episode) is a flaw everybody has pointed out so often it now goes without saying, but there are so many possibilities for drama it offered that it's mindblowing they were actively avoided. The sister show running at the same time showed you could have conflict between allied but different groups and still keep everyone ultimately on the same team, but nope, everyone from the Alpha Quadrant is in Starfleet uniform with ranks by the end of the pilot.

C'mon, there must have been someone on Chakotay's ship who was a complete crayon-eater from Buttfuq III with zero qualifications other than "I like shooting Cardassians, me." How are they going to help recalibrate the anti-tetryon matrix? Are they going to spend 75 years in the brig?

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Small Strange Bird posted:

Are they going to spend 75 years in the brig?

Janeway threatens people with that on the regular.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

Just before she's had her coffee

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

TheKingslayer posted:

Yeah but when you’re a serial killer you just get grounded in your luxury apartment

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
She shoulda spaced them for being Maquis and hired on a crew of eccentric alien misfits who want to explore the galaxy instead. Yeah I know that’s how you end up with more Neelixes but it’s a risk that needs to be taken, the Maquis can’t be allowed to live, they’ll kill however many millions of people it takes for them to be able to grow their precious organic tomatoes in a Cardassian’s backyard.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Hey don't get me wrong. I love how Janeway swings from, "No we have to respect the laws of these people. We're still Starfleet." to "I'm going to kill everything and everyone I can reach with my ship until I get Harry Kim back. Even my most worthless toys are worth killing for."

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Let's not forget Chakotay's crew of treasonous Maquis includes Seska and Lon Suder

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

redshirt posted:

Let's not forget Chakotay's crew of treasonous Maquis includes Seska and Lon Suder

Thankfully the latter solved the former.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Small Strange Bird posted:

Voyager immediately dropping the Starfleet/Maquis tensions (except for the annual 'Maquis stuff' episode) is a flaw everybody has pointed out so often it now goes without saying, but there are so many possibilities for drama it offered that it's mindblowing they were actively avoided. The sister show running at the same time showed you could have conflict between allied but different groups and still keep everyone ultimately on the same team, but nope, everyone from the Alpha Quadrant is in Starfleet uniform with ranks by the end of the pilot.

C'mon, there must have been someone on Chakotay's ship who was a complete crayon-eater from Buttfuq III with zero qualifications other than "I like shooting Cardassians, me." How are they going to help recalibrate the anti-tetryon matrix? Are they going to spend 75 years in the brig?

On the other hand, DS9 also shows that the maquis are probably one of the least interesting parts of all of star trek, so it's probably better that they did just drop it.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

I feel like if Tuvok was in charge they would’ve gotten home within 3 years, assuming he didn’t just prevent them from getting stranded in the first place

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

On the other hand, DS9 also shows that the maquis are probably one of the least interesting parts of all of star trek, so it's probably better that they did just drop it.

I thought there was some real tension/drama with the DS9 Maquis arc. Good points on both sides, etc...

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

redshirt posted:

I thought there was some real tension/drama with the DS9 Maquis arc. Good points on both sides, etc...

There are no good points that the maquis have.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

CainFortea posted:

There are no good points that the maquis have.

1. The Cardassians suck
2 The Federation sucks in a different way
3 Only Free Maquis can drive here

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

The Maquis are bunch of spoiled little turds that ran away from home to teach their parents a lesson.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Nigmaetcetera posted:

Yeah I know that’s how you end up with more Neelixes but

The Klingons would have found the Neelix homeworld and destroyed it.

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Klingons and Romulans and Cardassians all in that Schwarzenegger meme

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Animal-Mother posted:

Somebody basically already did that

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Somebody basically already did that

Jetrel's people did a better job on the Talaxians than the klingons ever did with the tribbles.

Big Ass On Fire
Jun 16, 2023

TheKingslayer posted:

The Maquis are bunch of spoiled little turds that ran away from home to teach their parents a lesson.

Yeah they seemed all bark no bite. We hear about them getting stuff done but not much rear end is kicked on screen, especially in Voy.

Kira though, that woman can throw down.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
From Randomwaffle:

naem
May 29, 2011

Animal-Mother posted:

based on Neelix and his klingon girlfriend they would have made planet Neelix into the Klingon Risa

computer angel
Sep 9, 2008

Make it a double.

Animal-Mother posted:

From Randomwaffle:

This is from the episode where the Doctor can't turn off his fantasy subroutine. There's a great gag where he's drawing Seven naked and the real Seven and Harry walk into the scene, real Seven is neutral and Harry's eyes just get progressively wider until the scene cuts.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
wait, why does a holographic doctor program have an "eroticism" setting

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

ChickenHeart posted:

He downloaded a nexus mod that bundled in some horny poo poo along with other improvements. Happens all the time.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

ChickenHeart posted:

So he can treat space hysteria

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Why do you?!

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ChickenHeart posted:

That's So Zimmerman

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Computer, activate the Riker protocol

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

The EMH was originally supposed to be one of those dentists that injects his semen into people’s gums while they’re under. Zimmerman won the lowest bid with Starfleet and he didn’t manage to delete ALL the dentist subroutines.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

ChickenHeart posted:

Barclay malware

redshirt
Aug 11, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Barclay malware

Barclware

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Oh that’s another thing I noticed in the episode previews. The preview for the first Barclay episode has no Barclay. It completely hides both his existence and of there being anything holodeck related in the episode at all. Complete Barclay erasure.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Endless Trash posted:

He downloaded a nexus mod that bundled in some horny poo poo along with other improvements. Happens all the time.

My Lovely Horse posted:

Barclay malware

Barclay, your download of Delicioso's Better Body Physics has completed

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

redshirt posted:

Everyone hated Voyager when it came out, but then Enterprise, and the JJ movies, and Picard and Disco, and folks are like "Well, Voyager wasn't so bad, right?"

Wrong

Fake edit: to put the lie to this reasoning, unironically ask for a critical reassessment of Nemesis (the movie, not the episode).

McSpanky fucked around with this message at 08:54 on May 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I thought Voyager was super disappointing and fairly dumb when I was a kid. Liked it better as an adult knowingly wanting some beige entertainment. Nemesis still sucks as hard as it ever did. The JJ era did not redeem it in my book, still dead last