Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Squidster posted:

All true and likely intentional! It's also just not particularly fun.

I was hoping for a payoff for Diamond's insecurity, for Cinnabar's keening isolation, for Rutile's obsession with reviving Padparadscha, etc. The series started with a wide engaging cast full of bubbly noise and quiet pathos, and now? Now it feels like even the author is exhausted with the work. Pray for me, author

Yeah, I’d say it’s a one of a kind comic but not a very satisfying one. Then again I’m a bigger fan of the anime than the manga, I think the imagery in the anime and the music and voice acting really elevated what was already strong material in that section of the story. I’m hoping Studio Orange can do the same with their upcoming adaption of the ending arc of Beastars as that is a comic that went off the rails in a much worse way than Land of the Lustrous, but has the possibility to be redeemed in adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i think there is something very satisfying about everything being taken to the most extreme logical conclusion. going off the rails is such a bizarre characterization of where this story went though. sorry that you want something more joseph campbell or whatever.

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Look, if Phos doesn't save a cat in the first act, how am I supposed to know they're the good guy? Next you'll be telling me they don't Resist the Call or Avenge The Mentor!

mycot posted:

White Diamond realized their happiness could only be secured with the destruction of Black Diamond.
Cinnabar was finally accepted by the other gems. The scene where Red Beryl presents them with a customized pod so that they can hiberate with the rest of the gems seems like a quick joke, but to me it signifies that Cinnabar's problem could have basically been solved at any time if anyone put in a little bit of focused effort, it's just that nobody bothered because gems are kinda assholes like that.
Rutile basically goes insane, cradling Pad's missing piece but never using it. I was never quite sure what to make of this. Is Pad ruined in Rutile's eyes because they weren't the one to fix them?
Thanks, I had in fact forgotten most of that. It does feel weird that moon life undoes a lot of their character growth, but you're right that there was a payoff. I'll have to do a re-read once the whole thing is finished.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I feel like everyone losing their identity on the moons and becoming different people was very much a thematic point, where Phos has spent the entire series dealing with becoming someone different constantly and was able to adapt and adjust and maintain some sense of personal continuity; but everyone else, who had only experienced being themselves as a single thing, once they reached any kind of conclusion their identities kind of hard-stopped and they were consumed by the moon.

When this is finally done in a month I'm gonna have to do a reread tho because honestly I remember the entire thing so distantly it's like my memories of it are memories of someone else telling me about a thing they read. This is because I too like Phos have felt my identity been altered a dozen times and each time it's felt like a new person has taken its place, so I'm really excited to see the sun engulf the earth I guess because apparently that's what happens if you live like this

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Its fine to dislike the direction but its weird to characterize it as a mistake or the author losing interest

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i find it hard to care that much about the incomplete gem character arcs after they did phos so dirty. gently caress those jerks!

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

When you don't like the direction, it's perfectly normal to characterize it as a mistake. You think it was a bad direction.

Which, in this case, it was. This series used to have very strong character writing, good pacing, and interesting plot beats. It stopped having pretty much all of those things.

Rody One Half fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Mar 26, 2024

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nah its cool. skill issue

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
One of the big themes over the whole story is change. Gem "society" was basically stagnant for millenia. New geeks are added every so often and some are taken away, but nothing ever gets resolved. Phos's actions are what starts to shift everything and eventually allow everyone to begin to move on and change. First, to reach the moon, a paradise of sorts, but not true enlightenment. Then to oblivion, which is fundamentally enlightenment

https://twitter.com/keroswikee/status/1772119829975351734

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I also didn't much like the series after all the gems went to the moon, but the little rock friends at the end almost redeemed that entire part, they're just so nice.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
In buddhist terms, the realm of the Devas is a realm without material want, where beings live like gods. However, even gods are still trapped in the wheel of samsara. The moon in HnK is simultaneously a deva realm and a hell realm. Before Kongo malfunctioned, he was able to absolve most of the normie residents of the moon. All that were left were the degenerates that Aechmea was supervising, who lived in a state of madness in a zone called the "wastebin" and constantly murdered and devoured each other ad nauseum, until Aechmea devoted himself to rehabilitating them. Kongo is revealed to be a manifestation of Kshitigarbha, the bodhisattva who vowed to postpone his enlightenment until every being in hell was purified. So even though by the time the gems reach the moon, it's a paradise-like place, it's still coded as being a kind of hell-like existence in the grand scheme of things.

the reason kongo malfunctioned is because the fragments of human consciousness floating around in the oceans would occasionally manifest as gems and take on sentient life, and Kongo developed a tiny amount of attachment toward them, a desire for human life to stick around. The problem is that, on a cosmic level, the humans in HnK are entirely hosed, having had their physical forms sundered into three, and their spirits (the moon ghosts) are so old and so weary that they just want to peace out and reach nirvana.

so the warfare in the first part of the story turns out to be a mostly pointless war for the gems; the gems and moon ghosts are fighting on a scale of eons, and even types of death that seem permanent (having your body scattered across the solar system) are ultimately solvable because the HnK cosmos is a closed loop, and there is nowhere "outside" of the system without Kongo's intervention. The gems built their identities around a military lifestyle, but once they reach the moon they learn about all sorts of other ways of living, like being a skater or a pop idol or a wife. But the ghosts are way ahead of them on that beat, and know that all of those identities are basically empty on the grand scale of things. Those identities are not suitable stopping points on a cosmic level.

So all of that is going on to directly contrast with Phos's existence, as they are basically constantly on fire searching for some kind of meaning to all the suffering they've endured. Or you could say that Phos seeks meaning in suffering. Which is why, when Antarcticite and Cinnabar's problems are solved, Phos doesn't find peace. The peace that comes from the relief of suffering means nothing to Phos; they are only chasing the suffering itself, because Phos, who was always considered weak and useless, has lived their entire existence with a low key background hum of suffering. Phos eventually identifies that constant state of suffering as being the aggregate bits of humanity in them, which they describe as a mixture of desires and qualities like beauty, kindness, and cruelty.

The gems, snails, and moon ghosts were all also fragments of humanity, but they were disparately severed. Phos is the first being who becomes truly human, and by being fully human they are able to transcend humanity. This transcendence happens both for Phos as well as for all the others.

I think, looking back on the story, rather than Dia or Cinnabar or anyone else, the two central characters are Phos and Kongo. Kongo loved the gems too much to extinguish humankind, and Phos spent their entire existence wanting the gems to acknowledge and love them. So even when Phos achieves a form of enlightenment, there is still a lonely and gloomy tenor to their existence, because their entire existence has been marked by a separation from others. The little rocks are so pleasant and tranquil, see everything that occurs in the cosmos as good, and are so kind to Phos. When in chapter 107 the rocks take Phos to be their littlest sibling, it is a huge mercy for Phos on a character-arc perspective. But I think it's also a philosophical statement, because these are literally rocks; they have no trace of humanity in them. Phos has reached a point where they are able to feel kinship and connection and a sense of family belonging with the earth itself, with the very matter of the universe.

the interesting thing is that it's Kongo's brother who saves that last bit of Phos to take on the ship to live with the rocks. In a way he is saving the savior. I think that's one of the interesting things about HnK. It seems to have this emotional investment in being kind and generous toward its savior figures, and imagines people being kinder and more charitable to them than they are to themselves.

Cephas fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Mar 26, 2024

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Thanks for the post! That does help clarify some things.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Endorph posted:

nah its cool. skill issue

this. ADTRW really is full of freaks..

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
The only bit that confused me was Kongo's brother. Who is he? Where did he come from? He just suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Mraagvpeine posted:

The only bit that confused me was Kongo's brother. Who is he? Where did he come from? He just suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

I think he was first introduced (and briefly shown) in the big Achmea lore dump about Adamant's real purpose. He was the first robot of his type and his complete freedom is why Adamant was designed with so many restrictions.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Partially talking out my rear end here, but(t): the emphasis on "humanity", and what does or doesn't have varying amounts of it, seems at odd with the Buddhist themes.

Suffering is meant to be the default state of all thinking things, right? The manga seems to be suggesting "nah, it was just humans, they were weird"

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
https://mangadex.org/chapter/7c8e9218-72ed-4dc1-bbe7-decd0606161a/1

That's our Phos! So clumsy! *laugh track*

Sindai fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Apr 24, 2024

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

What a run. I honestly can't say I'm a big fan of where the series went halfway through but it ended the way the author wanted and that alone is very satisfying. And no matter what, it was beautiful throughout.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
farewell phos

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!

Brutal Garcon posted:

Partially talking out my rear end here, but(t): the emphasis on "humanity", and what does or doesn't have varying amounts of it, seems at odd with the Buddhist themes.

Suffering is meant to be the default state of all thinking things, right? The manga seems to be suggesting "nah, it was just humans, they were weird"

Not precisely the default state of things. "All conditioned phenomena are dissatisfactory" (sabbe sankhara dukkha) is probably the most precise rendering I have heard in English. As I understand it, the world is full of conditioned phenomena in the form of physical states of matter, and sentient beings generate conditioned phenomena in the form of mental states. The rising and dissolution of that phenomena causes sentient beings suffering. But Buddhism teaches that sentient beings can awaken to the truth of impermanence and dependent origination and become liberated from their dissatisfaction. So you know, it's maybe like being born with a pesky mote in your eye. In a sense that's the "default state of things," but also if that mote wasn't there, you'd realize that the underlying faculty of your eye was actually able to see clearly all this time, and it was just being blocked.

In an interview from 2016, Haruko Ichikawa said this about humans:

quote:

Q: And so within this cast, there’s Phos, a character with a clear sense of purpose. “I want to be of help to everyone”. Believing even they must have some sort of role, Phos, using trial and error, continues to search. I felt there was something in common between Phos and the human soul. How are your and Phos’ souls connected?

I had always thought that what made someone rightfully human was nothing but their ability to ‘work’. Without working, without feeling you’re being of some use to society, it’s hard to find meaning in life. Unless you’re really strong (laughs).

Q: People live whilst having to constantly prove they are of use to society by working.

Yes. Most people I know are always complaining about their job, but they still do it properly anyway. Not just for the sake of money, but I think there’s also a feeling of wanting to be recognised, a desire to be approved. I’m writing this manga as I have a strong feeling to find whether this is true or not.

Q: So you think this might not be the case?

Yes. I also feel that maybe it’s all right just to live. The gaining of prestige and fortune through work is not necessary if you just want to live, but it is if you want to live well. What makes someone rightfully human, I want to write about this through the theme of ‘work’; I just want to know.

Q: The protagonist Phos also has another motivation. The wish to save Cinnabar, who lives isolated and away from everyone else. This wish was something I felt connected thematically well with your previous works.

The act of saving someone is incredibly difficult. Expressing support; providing them something to help may only cheer them up temporarily, but saving someone by completely turning their life around is probably something no one can do.

Q: Yes.

Then just what is salvation? Can someone in the truest sense save another? But people, for some reason, can’t let go of this mysterious feeling of wanting to be of help to others. I have always found this to be very mysterious. It’s mysterious, and it’s for this reason that I want to know.

Q: So you’ll only be able to find this by continuing to write ‘Houseki no Kuni’?

That’s right.

Q: Repeating from earlier, so it’s this ‘not known’ that makes it so fun?

The fact that there’s much we still don’t know is, I think, something to be happy about. I feel like I want to continue living when I think of just how much there is I don’t know. My feelings at the time probably aren’t that it’s interesting or fun. Rather I feel a sense of unease, a bit frightened; a shuddering feeling perhaps. But being able to experience these feelings is, I think, one part of why entertainment is so fun.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
I really liked the chill rock bros, best part of the manga in a long time. Goodbye Phos at least now you're happy

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
What an odd ending, but I still liked it.

kittenchops
Jul 24, 2013

That was a satisfying ending. I'm glad I read it all.

I'm not sure what was going on in this last chapter. I feel like it would be easier to figure out what is in each panel if it was in color. Still good overall though.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
I'm GBH I'm not actually sure what's happening in this ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Hya hya foowah!
it's a long time in the future and Eyeball is finally near the end of his lifespan. The last remnant of Phos is a tiny little gemstone of phosphophyllite with a childlike innocence. The planet they arrived in is a pure land without conflict or sorrow, where flowers bloom into gemstones. Phos hitches a ride on a friendly spirit moth, and tries to examine one of the new blooms. But they fall off and crash into it and chip into smaller pieces. They become so small that the 'camera' can't even see Phos any more even when zoomed in on the scale of pebbles and grass. The other rocks tell the remnant of Phos that the rest of them is traveling out there in outer space somewhere, possibly in the form of a comet. The tiny remnant of Phos hopes that if part of them is a comet, it can brighten someone's day. Ends on a shot of a gem who looks like the original Phos, alone at night, gazing up at a bright comet.