Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best Gem
Phos
Rutile
Red Beryl
Cinnabar
Jade
Diamond
Bort
Euclase
Yelow Diamond
Zircon
Alexandrite
Antarcticite
Padparadscha
Ghost Quartz
Lapiz Lazuli
Morganite
Goshenite
Phos, but with hosed Up Legs
Phos, but with hosed Up Everything
Obsidian?
Did I already list Yellow Diamond
The Left Amethyst
The Right Amethyst
Sensei
Shiro
View Results

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Houseki no Kuni is - look just watch season 1 of the anime.

THREAD GROUND RULES:

the gems are theys
you can use spoiler tags if you want, especially for chapters that just came out, but this is a thread for the manga and people keeping up with the manga, so consider it spoiler open season
Jade is the best gem

Endorph fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The latest chapter has been wild, in fact every chapter feels like it's ending on a knife-edge. It seems to relax for pages at a time but then reminds you that no, remember, Aechma is not your cool moon friend and is actually very, very desperate.

that arrival parade tho

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
I wouldve voted rutile but old phos is a thing of beauty.
Also phos shouldn’t trust anyone, moon people or sensei

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

I like this manga a lot and I really like the translated title. "Land of the Lustrous" has such a nice ring to it!

Anyway, the best gem is clearly Alex Lexi Alexandrite.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

for some reason the best gem isn't on the poll????

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

lets hang out posted:

for some reason the best gem isn't on the poll????

truly it's a crime

though i voted for lapis' disembodied head, who has been a very good influence on phos

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

yeah and sensei is on the poll even though nobody would ever vote for sensei, this is not a serious census

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I can't vote and escape this eternal prison of samsara to reach nirvana because there's no "all of them" option.

Also I feel super bad for the gems left behind on Earth. Especially Rutile and and Amethyst. :(

Sindai fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Dec 27, 2017

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

Sindai posted:

I can't vote and escape this eternal prison of samsara to reach nirvana because there's no "all of them" option.
This, I was going through the list and I was like "No wait, that one is definitely the best gem." for pretty much every entry that has had any significant screen time.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

yeah and sensei is on the poll even though nobody would ever vote for sensei, this is not a serious census

oops

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

man reading the latest chapter hurts right after the anime had a moment with yellow's loneliness

what the gently caress Phos, did you really not consider what would happen

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

boredsatellite posted:

what the gently caress Phos, did you really not consider what would happen

lol

boredsatellite
Dec 7, 2013

I just summed up the manga didn't I

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Every now and then, for a brief second, I forget how self-destructive Phos is.

And then I reread the latest few chapters to see if I missed anything in my late-night binge and remember their grand plan involved "well lol if they destroy me, presumably in a few centuries they'll use a shard of my body and you can just go sticking that to things no biggie."

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

I'm not sure whether I want the next chapter to focus on the gems stuck on earth or the ones who went with Phos to the moon more...

Really worried about potential moon-guy betrayal. :magical:

Coolusername's post about the Seven Treasures of Buddhism in the anime thread has me antsy now- we have silver and carnelian left, right? Or would the platinum count as part of the silver? Either way, I'm afraid that Carnelian is going to be a part of someone else, although maybe Ichikawa won't want to repeat the Lapis thing again. We've seen parts of replaced parts be replaced, but I've got a bad feeling that Ship of Theseus will mean that Phos' torso will be replaced. Trying to find info on the seven treasures for gem conspiracy theories is pretty rough, though. :tinfoil:

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007

coolusername posted:

And then I reread the latest few chapters to see if I missed anything in my late-night binge and remember their grand plan involved "well lol if they destroy me, presumably in a few centuries they'll use a shard of my body and you can just go sticking that to things no biggie."
The best part is they were completely 100% wrong about that.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
Disclaimer: Not a buddhist, just an excellent googlist with a pet theory.

quote:

Buddhist texts such as the Lotus Sutra and the Western Pure Land Sutra specify the kinds of jewels Buddhist followers should donate to the Buddha and bodhisattvas according to the concept of the Seven Treasures. The list of the Seven Treasures vary in different texts, but they all include gold, silver, lapis lazuli, crystal, pearl, red coral and emerald or some other greenish stone.

Source: The Silk Road in World History.

quote:

Also, seven treasures or seven kinds of gems. Precious substances mentioned in the sutras. The list differs among the Buddhist scriptures. According to the Lotus Sutra, the seven are gold, silver, lapis lazuli, seashell, agate, pearl, and carnelian.
Source: Nichiren Buddhism Library.

If the theory is remotely applicable, and I think it is at least a little since it's already been quite accurate, the list of what we've already got from the various translations is something like: Gold/Silver/Platinum, Seashell/Agate/Coral, Lapis Lazuli, Pearl, with possibly Phos themself as the crystal/emerald/green stone.

The one we're definitely closest to missing would be a red stone, like ruby or carnelian. I'm actually going to name my personal wild theory: There's one destroyed pink-red gem that's been namedropped recently, Morganite. Phos has said they want to help the baby Morganite meet the old Morganite, old Morganite is dusted on the moon, and the prince has said they could try to put the dusted gems back together. I'm betting that Phos gets a part of Morganite next.

Oh, and extra fun:

quote:

Śarīra is a generic term referring to Buddhist relics, although in common usage it usually refers to pearl or crystal-like bead-shaped objects that are purportedly found among the cremated ashes of Buddhist spiritual masters.

Which brings extra meaning to Phos getting a pearl from the dead moon party people.

MachuPikacchu
Oct 15, 2012

Sacre vert! Maman!

k4kk01 posted:

Really worried about potential moon-guy betrayal. :magical:

"Potential?"

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

well if the moonpeople would try some poo poo most probably all the gems remaining would go on a rampage.
Don't see the point tbh they definitely want something from sensei, although achmea could be bullshitting too.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

coolusername posted:

If the theory is remotely applicable, and I think it is at least a little since it's already been quite accurate, the list of what we've already got from the various translations is something like: Gold/Silver/Platinum, Seashell/Agate/Coral, Lapis Lazuli, Pearl, with possibly Phos themself as the crystal/emerald/green stone.

The one we're definitely closest to missing would be a red stone, like ruby or carnelian. I'm actually going to name my personal wild theory: There's one destroyed pink-red gem that's been namedropped recently, Morganite. Phos has said they want to help the baby Morganite meet the old Morganite, old Morganite is dusted on the moon, and the prince has said they could try to put the dusted gems back together. I'm betting that Phos gets a part of Morganite next.

Including that red stone, that would make 6. What would #7 be?

Doctor Isosceles
Oct 18, 2012

This is just wild speculation, but as far as the dusted gems go it seems that we've already seen a mechanism to reconstitute them that's independent of the Moon Folk. One that Phos themselves has experienced first hand. So I'm wondering if the flesh snails might play a part by hoovering up all that delicious gem dust and rebuilding the gems as part of their shells.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Mraagvpeine posted:

Including that red stone, that would make 6. What would #7 be?

Gold is definitively one of the 7 treasures of Buddhism, it's whether Silver or Platinum is one of them as well. It's more that the other one is like "grey metal" and both of them apply; you can assume here that Platinum is being used for the Grey Metal option, so Phos is made of 6 of the 7 so far.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've seen a lot of speculation about Padparadscha being the red stone. I think Rutile said that Phos would be compatible with them at some point.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i think that would actually break my heart, after being pretty receptive to all the other changes

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Pierson posted:

Aechma is not your cool moon friend

Um, actually moon people, Aechma included, are cool and cute and my friends. :colbert:

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
There's really too many variables at play to be certain what number Phos is at. Somewhere around 5 is definite, whether it's 6 or 7 is going to depend on factors like does Phos count as 1 or 0, platinum or gold, etc.

And please not Padparascha they are one of my faves alongside all the other gems who are also my faves.

Eta: also yeah I'm pretty sure at some point Rutile suggests using Phos to patch up Padparascha but I can't remember when. So they'd be compatible.

coolusername fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Dec 28, 2017

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

they gotta get sensei to the moon.

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

I feel like Padparadscha is a likely source of the red gem- some translations say ruby instead of carnelian, and (if I'm remembering right) Padparadscha was patched with ruby earlier. I'm not great with the distinctions between various gems, but sapphire and ruby are from the same mineral and the differences between them seem to be pretty arbitrary.

I think it'd be nice if Padparadscha was allowed to die / become part of Phos. Right now, Padparadscha is stuck existing just as a drain on Rutile, and they dislike that a lot. However, they won't tell Rutile that. Even though Phos is taking them to the moon, Rutile won't give up until there's no chance at getting them back. Incorporating Padparadscha as part of Phos would be one way to pull them off of the table and lift the burden off of Rutile. (On the other hand, any fragment of Padparadscha hanging around might be enough for Rutile to cling to.)

Mostly, I just want Padparadscha's tragedy to be concluded, rather than left floating around as a loose end.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Padparashca is a corundum, just like Ruby and sapphires. Padparashca is a kind of orangey-pink sapphire, the exact color varies a bit since "orangey-pink" is hella subjective but I've heard it has something to do with being compared to the color of a lotus?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Oh look, a thread for the manga. Great, as I wanted to go on discussing it.

So the big, divisive issue right now in the people following it is... are Lunarians deceiving Phos with their explanations to just capture more gems, or are they telling the truth?
It seems lots of people believe it's a trick, and this is just Phos loving it up as Phos has done previously, it's her character arc. We know that the Lunarians won't stop for anything, use any and all kind of trickery, and they aren't trustworthy as they didn't maintain their deal with Ventricosus.

But I'm more inclined to believe this time they are telling the true, if only because I liked their explanation to the big mystery (which is already pretty rare, lots of times when a mystery series shows the big surprise is disappointing), and I also like the twist in the characterizations of the 'real' Lunarians. They may be not telling 100% the truth and hiding something, but as a minimum I think the basic gist is real.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even if they are telling the truth that doesn't mean they will remain benign. lunarians are mentally unstable, and they only care about the gems as a possible way of getting through to sensei. if the ploy phos came up with doesn't work (and let's be real here, it is phos so it totally won't), the lunarians would gladly move on to a new plan. and again, lunarians are hanging on a thread so it is very likely their next plan would be just as horrible for gems as their previous ones.

plus, i dunno how much of their humanity remains but the reason they are stuck in front of the afterlife is because they were sinners to begin with. they began as not so nice people and have spent countless years teetering on the edge of madness, so i don't have a lot of faith in their good nature.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 28, 2017

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I think Phos kinda had to do this though. The Lunarians are constantly developing, trying out new types of weapons to capture the gems. Meanwhile the gems never evolve their technology and only slowly gain new members. Continuing to try to do battle with the lunarians long term would have resulted in more and more kidnappings.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Fun fact, Phos was on the moon for 49 days. According to Tibetan Buddhism it takes at least 49 days in the afterlife for a dead soul to be reborn or reach Nirvana.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

lunarian scum are probably telling the truth but its going to require more sacrifice to get what they want anyway. Breaking sensei will require some real thought behind it.

coolusername
Aug 23, 2011

cooltitletext
The real question is why the heck isn't Sensei praying?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
sensei is an ancient, indestructible, sentient machine, unique in the world. his thoughts are alien and inscrutable because no one shares a common frame of reference with him. the gems are mostly innocent so they ascribe great knowledge and empathy to their parent. the lunarians go to the opposite extreme, assuming he is broken in ways that makes him actively malicious. sensei is unwilling to help them even though it is what he was created for, so there is obviously something fishy going on. does he have reasons and goals, or are the lunarians right about everything and he is merely a faulty robot?

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
The real real question is why can't the gems and jellyfish do the praying. If it's true that Sensei is a robot they're more human than he is.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Sensei probably wants Phos to break free of the gem circumstance they live in. He actively pushes Phos, and comments on her progress in discovering everything as a positive thing.
If he is programmed, it's the only way he can undo robot laws, nudging phos. Exciting in any case.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
assuming sensei is actually aware of what is going on around him (which is a pretty big if), i'm guessing that him praying the lunarians away would have some adverse effect on the gems. perhaps that bone, body and soul thing is more than a mere simile, and the three species are actually interconnected somehow instead of being two widely divergent evolutionary paths and a bunch of moon ghosts.

like, whatever happens to the gems and phos in particular is guaranteed to be strange and sad, but i just can't get a read on sensei at all. for starters, if he is protecting their species as a whole by not praying while failing to protect them individually he sure as heck doesn't seem conflicted about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

i assume, if he's a robot, that there are things he can't divulge or change about him. What he can do now is the extent of his powers, he couldn't even kill something similar to the professor for example.