Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

None of these things are okay to do. Just FYI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Soup du Journey posted:

they're not ok to do. they'r great to do

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

Milo and POTUS posted:

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
One thing that sucks about the Earthsea trilogy, if we're being fair, is that it skips over a lot of stuff that you'd want to hear. "Hey, it's Ged, and he did all kinds of amazing poo poo since you saw him last. This isn't that story, though. Instead we're going to follow some lame prince you won't care about."

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

Milo and POTUS posted:

Sure, but I fail to see how having an orgy or accepting a non binary gender really changes or challenges much?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
I was in 8th grade and my teacher made us all read The Giver. When we got to the ending I waited after class and asked her why we didn’t just read Omelas because it was obviously the same story just told better and with less pages and she went “huh” so I went to the library and rented her the copy we had of sci-fi stories we had and it was probably the first time I watched an adult get their mind blown.

A few years later I asked her about it and she said she pushed to change to curriculum but everyone said Omelas was ‘too sad’.

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Jan 25, 2018

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

morally adept posted:

Sure, but I fail to see how having an orgy or accepting a non binary gender really changes or challenges much?

hm its a good thing then that the tweet didn't say do these things to change or challenge stuff, it said do these things to honor leguin.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
I'm genuinely bummed. She and Octavia butler are my favorite authors. Earthsea was one of those books I read as a fat angry friendless kid that helped me get through that poo poo. :saddowns:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Bust Rodd posted:

I was in 8th grade and my teacher made us all read The Giver. When we got to the ending I waited after class and asked her why we didn’t just read Omelas because it was obviously the same story just told better and with less pages and she went “huh” so I went to the library and rented her the copy we had of sci-fi stories we had and it was probably the first time I watched an adult get their mind blown.

A few years later I asked her about it and she said she pushed to change to curriculum but everyone said Omelas was ‘too sad’.

lmao jesus

Beard Dandruff
May 10, 2017

Want to win a consultation with Tiffany? Click
here.

cda posted:

hm its a good thing then that the tweet didn't say do these things to change or challenge stuff, it said do these things to honor leguin.

Touche, I should probably read her though since a lot of people ITT are comparing here to atwood.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill
The only work I've read of hers is the short story collection The Compass Rose. I found it at the salvation army for $1. The first story was far and away the best one. It's called The Author of the Acacia Seeds (And Other Extracts from the Journal of the Association of Therolinguistics).

It takes place in a future where scientific understanding of animal languages is commonplace. Towards the end, a scientist speculates that soon they'll be communicating with plants, and in the future, possibly communicating with rocks.

The piece really is spectacular and reaffirms my love for fiction.

Check it out here: http://interconnected.org/home/more/2007/03/acacia-seeds.html

quote:

All we can guess is that the putative Art of the Plant is entirely different from the Art of the Animal. What it is, we cannot say; we have not yet discovered it. Yet I predict with some certainty that it exists, and that when it is found it will prove to be, not an action, but a reaction: not a communication, but a reception. It will be exactly the opposite of the art we know and recognise. It will be the first passive art known to us.

Can we in fact know it? Can we ever understand it?

It will be immensely difficult. That is clear. But we should not despair. Remember that so late as the mid-twentieth century, most scientists, and many artists, did not believe that Dolphin would ever be comprehensible to the human brain—or worth comprehending! Let another century pass, and we may seem equally laughable. "Do you realise," the phytolinguist will say to the aesthetic critic, "that they couldn't even read Eggplant?" And they will smile at our ignorance, as they pick up their rucksacks and hike on up to read the newly deciphered lyrics of the lichen on the north face of Pike's Peak.

And with them, or after them, may there not come that even bolder adventurer—the first geolinguist, who, ignoring the delicate, transient lyrics of the lichen, will read beneath it the still less communicative, still more passive, wholly atemporal, cold, volcanic poetry of the rocks: each one a word spoken, how long ago, by the earth itself, in the immense solitude, the immenser community, of space.

coke
Jul 12, 2009
RIP

Jose posted:

what order should i read a couple of her books in?
Like what others have said Left Hand of Darkness is pretty good but definitely The Lathe of Heaven.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Soup du Journey posted:

Milo and POTUS posted:

Punch Nazis Every Day All the Time

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Ursula K. Le Guin was a brilliant person, and an extremely adept writer. She lived a good life, and many of us are better for it.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I bet she was already pre-spinning in her grave after that awful TV adaptation of Earthsea that made everybody super white.

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
i find books to be quite mundane. watch youtube videos on destroying ant-hills if you really want to be enriched.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I bet she was already pre-spinning in her grave after that awful TV adaptation of Earthsea that made everybody super white.

To say nothing of the boring-rear end Studio Ghibli movie.

• Locked thread