Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/23/obituaries/ursula-k-le-guin-acclaimed-for-her-fantasy-fiction-is-dead-at-88.html

Fuuuuuuck that sucks. Some of my favorites of hers:

The Dispossessed
Left Hand of Darkness
A Wizard of Earthsea
the Tao Te Ching (yes, really)

It's not often you find an author who changes the way you look at life, but she was certainly one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I only read Earthsea, and only as an adult, but I was floored at how original it still felt. She never got the true props she deserved.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
why a book change ur life op

Hell Yeah
Dec 25, 2012

lol i you think i know who this is without seeing a picture, just lol

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
who?

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

let it mellow posted:

put down the bong and get your life together with the power of books, loser.

Seriously though, that's too bad. She was a true pioneer, and just a brilliant and evocative writer to boot.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Love Rat posted:

put down the bong and get your life together with the power of books, loser.

Seriously though, that's too bad. She was a true pioneer, and just a brilliant and evocative writer to boot.

oh was it elves or dwarves in the book

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

Hell Yeah posted:

lol i you think i know who this is without seeing a picture, just lol

*Takes ur Nerd Cred cards*

*Rips them to bits*

*Throws the confetti right in your faces, then walks away from Omelas*

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

let it mellow posted:

Read one of her books and find out!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Guindolences

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

I read part of the dispossessed and it was ok

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

https://twitter.com/crimethinc/status/955948316851916800

https://twitter.com/neville_park/status/955938914203852802

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
She wrote a translation of the Tao te Ching?

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Lets Pickle posted:

Read one of her books and find out!

not without a real explanation , book barn told me to read some series that had dudes loving holes in the ground because it was smart poo poo and it was hot garbage instead

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

let it mellow posted:

not without a real explanation , book barn told me to read some series that had dudes loving holes in the ground because it was smart poo poo and it was hot garbage instead

obviously you're not an intellectual :rolleyes:

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

let it mellow posted:

Why didn't you enjoy my autobiography

Xtra Innings Lovin
Nov 11, 2016

let it mellow posted:

Did it give any good tips?

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
what the gently caress is a book lmao

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

let it mellow posted:

She wrote "Harry Potter but it doesn't suck" in the 1960s.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I read The Dispossessed in college. I don't remember much about it at all.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
Nooooooooo! I just started to get into her stuff! She’s amazing!

First Iain M. Banks and now UKLeG. Do authors just die when I discover them?

baalaagaa
Apr 9, 2004
Who? Judging by the book titles it sounds like some pathetic nerd poo poo.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Blurry Gray Thing
Jun 3, 2009

let it mellow posted:

*Man with cartoon avatar, on the topic of one of the most influential and praised science fiction and fantasy authors of the twentieth century, a woman who was frequently set next to Shelley and above Tolkien by serious literary critics, listed in Bloom's Western Canon, and declared a Living Legend by the US Library of Congress*

She wrote about make-believe? How droll!

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
The first wizard of Earthsea book was a cool. Gatta keep reading the rest of the series.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
I especially liked Left Hand of Darkness. Good stuff.

e. vv Yes.

phasmid fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jan 24, 2018

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

let it mellow posted:

Real answer is that she creates elaborate sci-fi or fantasy worlds but more importantly puts deep, interesting, RELATABLE characters in them who have meaningful interactions with each other and learn about themselves and the world as the story progresses. When characters talk to each other the dialogue feels natural and her prose feels easy to read, while still utilizing a large range of vocabulary.

fatal oopsie-daisy
Jul 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Love Rat
Jan 15, 2008

I've made a psycho call to the woman I love, I've kicked a dog to death, and now I'm going to pepper spray an acquaintance. Something... I mean, what's happened to me?

baalaagaa posted:

Who? Judging by the book titles it sounds like some pathetic nerd poo poo.

Should be right up your alley then boss. Get cracking. I expect full 500 word report on the Earthsea series by Friday.

Navin Johnson
Mar 1, 2016

Apparently time to read. Thanks op.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
Left hand of darkness was not for me. I only like books with cis gendered characters.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

i liked her best for her literary criticism of other authors which i always felt was extremely fair

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

She always seemed like the kind-of old lady who kept the most excellent teas stocked in her cupboard.

Ponies Ist Krieg
Dec 10, 2017

Otto Von Jizzmark posted:

Left hand of darkness was not for me. I only like books with cis gendered characters.

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
been wanting to reead some good sci fi, so I think I will buy the first earthsea book since people have said good things

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
this one actually stings

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I read Rocannon's World at the same time I read Dune for the first time as a kid and it was on par, and still is.

mr_gay_sex_fan
Dec 20, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
I think I read The Dispossessed. I didn't get it at all at the time (9th grade).

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

let it mellow posted:

Earthsea is a good enough series not to have elves or dwarves in it.

A Spherical Sponge
Nov 28, 2010
Earthsea was a fantastic book. I also really loved the sequel about the girl who's a priestess for dead gods but didn't get into the other two in the series. Probably some of the only fantasy novels I can think of that I enjoyed and felt had some sort of literary worth, mainly because the whole feel of them was completely counter to the usual swords and sorcery egotism that normal fantasy has, and and the magic felt magical and sort of mythical instead of that bullshit wingardium leviosa stuff.

Never read any of her sci-fi though except for the short story about the old woman revolutionary who dies the day after the revolution comes, which I thought was cool.

It sucks that she's dead but as far as I know she had a good life even if she was under-appreciated, so I'm not too sad. 88 is a good age to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Thank god reading a boring rear end book isn't on this list. I'm already late for my woods orgy.

• Locked thread