Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
a list of anime you'll be blammed for talking about, is basically worthless because shows are only going to get put on there after people have been blammed for talking about them. and if they aren't then it's just going to be a list of shows you arbitrarily are banned from mentioning, which is a little weird

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

yeah i don't think watching kenshin or, say, mmo junkie on crunchyroll as an american is going to really line anyone bad's pockets other than the heads of the corporation that shouldn't be allowed to have a monopoly on anime in the US, so no need for a value judgment. if you're worried about that, anyway

streaming revenue is probably a fraction of a penny on the dollar. i mean that's just an assumption but revenue for video on the internet in general is pretty bad

i wouldn't be interested in kenshin anyway because i watched the previous series on toonami and thought it was way too formulaic and riddled with the kinds of shonen staples that i can't stand

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Sep 30, 2022

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Unless that one guy who brought up Made in Abyss gets banned the whole thing seems to have solved itself. They brought it up, someone said it's banned, someone else clarified, nothing else needs to be done from the looks of it.

It's not like we suddenly had an influx of people that are desperately trying to talk about the show right now.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

yeah i don't think watching kenshin or, say, mmo junkie on crunchyroll as an american is going to really line anyone bad's pockets other than the heads of the corporation that shouldn't be allowed to have a monopoly on anime in the US, so no need for a value judgment. if you're worried about that, anyway

streaming revenue is probably a fraction of a penny on the dollar. i mean that's just an assumption but revenue for video on the internet in general is pretty bad

ehhhh people also might not want to help prove a show is popular and have that result in the pedophile getting more work and cultural cache

as always only piracy is truly moral

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

comparing mmo junkie and kenshin is strange since theyre different situations, in mmo junkie's case its only the anime director that was a shithead, and hes been basically blacklisted from the industry. even in the case of a hypothetical season 2 (unlikely since the mangas over and its been years since the original) itd have a different director.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Endorph posted:

comparing mmo junkie and kenshin is strange since theyre different situations, in mmo junkie's case its only the anime director that was a shithead, and hes been basically blacklisted from the industry. even in the case of a hypothetical season 2 (unlikely since the mangas over and its been years since the original) itd have a different director.
ah it was just an example off the top of my head, i agree with ya *does the thing in anime where i put my hand behind my head to... rub the back of my head??*

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

ninjewtsu posted:

i really think MiA is a pretty special case here, any other case i can think of is pretty easily solved by "think about what that anime is for more than 3 seconds"

Mushoku Tensei is very popular as well, but it would also be on the 'don't talk about this' list

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I'm really surprised Devil is a Part-Timer and Rental Girlfriend sequel seasons sucked so much.

Makes me temper my fall expectations.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
whats there to be surprised about. one was a cheap sequel season to something that kinda just had mild hype in its time being done years later and the other's a manga that already had a share of negativity around it

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

What's more surprising is not that Devil is Part Timer Season 2 was bad, most expected it. But it's getting a season 3 after that mess of a season 2

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

sb hermit posted:

I agree that Made in Abyss should be explicitly called out in the rules thread at the very least.

I don't think we really need a "hey this show in particular is verboten" rule. The don't be a creep rule is general enough to cover it.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I missed good animation of Devil Pat Timer Season 1. Without that budget it felt like watching a rough draft of what could have been funnier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

both those shows are adaptations of material that also got much worse after their decent openings. its not really the anime's fault. rent a girlfriend started spinning its wheels as soon as it got popular because $$$, and part-timer was a one joke premise that was wearing out its one joke by episode 5 of S1, much less a second season.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

The Colonel posted:

whats there to be surprised about.
Animation downgrade to DiaPT2 was harsh. Like, why even at that point unless they wanted market synergy with Manga Volumes or something?
I'll take a look again once the dub finishes since that's how I watched it the first time and I kind of liked it then. Mostly, I think this whole War in Heaven/Enter Isla isn't what you think/Demons are People Too thing was just too drawn out.

RG2 was a case of just spinning wheels so badly that all the charm from S1 was gone. Largely, because the MC went from a trash person trying to do better in a semi-relatable story to... Whatever the gently caress this was.

BoFuri 2 save me

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

It's such a large gap between seasons and the studio was different so it's not shocking the show was different visually. It just ended up much worse visually than even what I expected with low expectations

As for why it was approved? Guessing for overseas markets and streaming and it's getting a season 3 so it had to have done well somewhere maybe

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

Animation downgrade to DiaPT2 was harsh. Like, why even at that point unless they wanted market synergy with Manga Volumes or something?

That's literally why most anime get made. They're literally market synergy vehicles for LNs/manga/video games/mobagames/toys.

SatoshiMiwa posted:

It's such a large gap between seasons and the studio was different so it's not shocking the show was different visually. It just ended up much worse visually than even what I expected with low expectations

As for why it was approved? Guessing for overseas markets and streaming and it's getting a season 3 so it had to have done well somewhere maybe

Probably boosted LN/manga sales I assume and probably in conjunction with some higher up liking it enough to give it a pass where another property might not. But streaming numbers probably helped too.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Endorph posted:

both those shows are adaptations of material that also got much worse after their decent openings. its not really the anime's fault. rent a girlfriend started spinning its wheels as soon as it got popular because $$$, and part-timer was a one joke premise that was wearing out its one joke by episode 5 of S1, much less a second season.
the stuff the second season gets into with Alas Ramus, the apparent daughter of Maou and Emilia, is actually pretty solid for a good long time, there's some intriguing plotlines with the angels and such, and the parenting problems between Maou and Emilia with Alas Ramus are pretty good, it does a solid job of working past its initial gimmick. I stopped reading the manga around the time they started working on a farm and Emilia beat up a bear so I don't know if it really went downhill past there. apparently people are super pissed at the ending due to who ends up with who.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I agree with Endorph in that the 1st season started to drag the more it became straight fantasy instead of just Maou and Emi trying to live in modern Japan and how it changes them. It just wasn't as noticeable cause the direction was strong and we had a decent enough end point

It's way more noticeable in season 2 with the poor direction but also it just focusing more on a typical fantasy story which it's not really it's best side

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I watched a few episodes of S2 and mostly it just seemed to have completely reset everybody's characterization so that Emilia spends all her time being shocked and appalled that the king of demons is a) a part-timer and b) clearly not evil even after she's known all these things for months.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rand Brittain posted:

I watched a few episodes of S2 and mostly it just seemed to have completely reset everybody's characterization so that Emilia spends all her time being shocked and appalled that the king of demons is a) a part-timer and b) clearly not evil even after she's known all these things for months.

A big reason for her entire vendetta against him is because he supposedly killed her dad as a result of his invasion and despite all of his heroics on Earth, she still can't let that go (and it'll get addressed in this next season).

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Just wanna say that the ending of Parallel World Isekai was such an anti-climax that I thought it was anime original--but it apparently wasn't.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
I don't quite understand why Pop Team Epic's season 2 opening is just a fake Toku series but I like it

EDIT: Oops wrong thread

RatHat fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Oct 2, 2022

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Well it's the last Sunday of an anime season and that means it's officially time for my retrospective on the shows I watched this season that nobody cares about! Cheers!

Lycoris Recoil: I'm not really sure what to think about this show. As a baseline I'll say I liked it a lot, I dug the cast and characters, it was an extremely enjoyable high budget action/buddy cop comedy show with extremely good gunplay, and I'm still pondering whether or not it worked.

Looking back with hindsight the metaphor of the show ultimately seems to be one of nature versus nurture. One of our leads is the ultimate murder machine who became a technical pacifist who uses nonlethal weaponry out of a complicated misunderstanding and the show ultimately sides with her choice. Our second lead is functionally an honor student from Shooting People High who fell out of favor by going off the reservation and is ultimately convinced by the other protagonists to find her own way, and the show ultimately sides with her even when her way is rigorous, demanding, and highly regimented. Of the show's major antagonists one is an agent of chaos committing terrorism because he feels that the Japan of the series is being restrained by the high school girl secret police, in other words he's fighting a cultural force of nurture for the sake of nature. Meanwhile the other major antagonist is arguing for such an extreme case of nature primacy that it amounts to biological essentialism, that if a person is good enough at something they should no longer have the right to choose to do anything other that thing they're good at (or, in other words, he's fighting the concept of nurture for the omnipotence of nature). What stands out in my take on it is that the series is mildly supportive of the first antagonist (in his philosophy if not his actions) but takes a much harder line against the second. There's a curious threading of the needle here with those themes including what's going on with the heroine, with both of the antagonists, and with the aforementioned secret police and I'm still kind of mulling it over.

Would I take another season of this? Hell yeah, I could definitely watch more of anime girl John Wick non-fatally shooting bad people in gorgeous action sequences.

Parallel World Pharmacy: Here's a fun drinking game I started with this show: take a shot every time the show says something, does something, or introduces a concept that could be spun into something interesting and compelling that would elevate the series if anyone involved in the making of this series gave enough of a poo poo to actually try. Naturally don't do this if you binge watch it, but also don't expect to get plastered if you play this game with individual episodes. It won't hammer you, but it will get you to the other side of tipsy and that's kind of my point. It honestly feels like if someone actually cared this series could have been special, but sadly it decided it could coast by being a bog standard isekai. And yet, the show was kind of perplexing because it kept having those tiny little glimmers of potential.

Main character has ridiculously powerful isekai powers? Check, and his usual standard super magic is as boring as ever, but there's still stuff around him that had potential. When he discovers he's OP his teacher ran screaming both because of it and because he doesn't have a shadow, that's weird and alarming and little is done with it. He may also literally be an incarnate god which feels on the nose for this kind of show and actually kind of interesting and also isn't explored. Also he has a magic eye that lets him see where people are injured, but he has to actually diagnose what the problem is, that's actually kind of interesting. Also unlike the others it's used well: late in the series when a plague hits he uses it to figure out who in quarantine has it and who doesn't by looking at the whole room and going "black plague", that's a more creative use of his power than you usually get. It's also kind of refreshing that the power the protagonist uses most of the time is just to compound real-world medicines and give proper, modern medical treatment. It honestly feels like the rest of his uber magic detracts from the show.

He's naturally the son of a noble since we're doing that canard of "only nobles know magic" and his dad is the court physician, but he actually stays around as a major character and supports the protagonist once he realizes he knows more about medicine and does things and isn't just a satellite character. That's not bad. Protag-kun also starts trying to make inroads with the mansion staff and is told most nobles don't do that, that could be interesting if they did anything with it. MC opens a pharmacy and at first nobody wants to buy from him because he's a kid until he manages to prove himself with a marketing stunt which is one of them surprisingly realistic outcomes isekai anime usually doesn't have. The evil fatcat marketing guild leader opposes his store not because he's evil, but because he has every reason to believe that this is just some rich kid's hobby and that he'll eventually get bored and move on and if they go out of business because of MC who's going to be around to make sure the underclass can get medicine? It's not often that the motivations of the "just jealous" isekai villain are TOTALLY JUSTIFIED. There are also a couple of very good scenes for the cast are getting ready for a possible pandemic and there's people dealing with the nerves and trying to reassure each other they've done all they can…

I'm not going to claim this is high art, or even that great even going by the deeply muted standards of isekai anime, but it feels like it could have been so much better… Like it repeatedly felt like the seemingly mandatory isekai tropes were holding the series back as a whole and that is disappointing. Genre convention should be a scaffolding for a story, not a restraint.

Yurei Deco: A couple times per year I find the show that I love to pieces and can never recommend, and that's Yurei Deco. It's a show that appeals so specifically and idiosyncratically to me that I can't ever really give an honest recommendation because I'm never sure how much of my enjoyment of the show is predicated on it being perfect for me and how much is because I think the show is actually, independently good. At the same time I will readily concede that even among the shows on the "Omnicrom personal appeal" list this is on the lower end of things.

Yurei Deco is a messy drat show, but it's deeply fascinating. It has a lot of very odd characters getting into strange adventures in a world that is simultaneously fantastical and boring. There's a bunch of weird and wild things happening with all sorts of crazy future tech, but when the characters dig into the weird things that happen the answers are all pretty mundane in a surprisingly uplifting way. It's a dystopic setting that is never really treated as a dystopia. It's a setting where the authoritarian power seems to honestly believe what it's peddling. The world is deeply imperfect, but the show is also remarkably un-cynical about itself. There's a sense of real naivety and even optimism to the proceedings on all sides, the protagonist pulls a stunt in episode three and impersonates a lawyer to try and save another character and it honestly feels like she might've pulled it off if outside circumstances hadn't intervened. I know a couple of pages back people hashed it out over the ending, but in context it felt kind of appropriate? The show's whole tone is essentially that no, this world is fully functional it's just all y'all are morons, let some new people take a crack at it. And maybe that optimism is why it's appealing to me personally, and if that doesn't ring true with you, well I did say I can't really recommend it, didn't I?

I will say this, looking back the show's ending feels oddly compromised, maybe even cowardly like they blanched on a couple of things at the last second. One of the recurring themes the show has is talking about what's actually real in an AR-equipped, SNS integrated, Middlingtopia. The refrain of the show is that what's real is what remains, a person's memory and their relationships and their feelings and their connections, if those live beyond data then they're actually real. As such it honestly looked like the ending of the show was going to revolve around Berry deleting her own personal data to save her parents. After so many episodes talking about existence and emotions and relationships transcending data it honestly seemed like the show was going to go all the way and have her live that, but she didn't and it honestly feels a little cowardly. Similarly, after finding out that the recycling center next to Finn's home was going to need an SNS reboot to work again I was fully expecting the reveal to be that Phantom Zero had been doing the same thing, going around resetting zones to keep the island going. Not gonna lie, the actual explanation of what's going on with her felt very weak. I don't hate the idea of meeting the man behind the curtain and learning just an old lady who's a bitter and cynical radical behaviorist, but boy did it feel like a bit of a waste. Ultimately it's all just kind of disappointing.

Tokyo Mew Mew New: This was a perfectly fine show. Given I dropped this year's precure, Tokyo Mew Mew made for a convenient replacement. You've got here what you would expect from this particular genre: a themed team of transforming magical girls fighting a procession of weird villains who usually attack by proxy with monsters. Our theme this time is environmental conservation, there is a proper and actually sweet romance between the lead and a boy at her school, the cast are good, many shenanigans occur, Bu-lin steals every scene she's in, and there's some pretty nice action. It didn't light the world on fire or reinvent the wheel or even really do anything to pull it over the line of being perfectly average precure adjacent material (even if the source material predates it by about a year) and sometimes that's fine. I will say that Quiche's particular shtick has aged extremely poorly, and a moth is not a wyvern, but other than that it's pretty inoffensive. I'll be quite happy to watch the back half of this when it drops in a season or two

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Omnicrom posted:

Parallel World Pharmacy: Here's a fun drinking game I started with this show: take a shot every time the show says something, does something, or introduces a concept that could be spun into something interesting and compelling that would elevate the series if anyone involved in the making of this series gave enough of a poo poo to actually try. Naturally don't do this if you binge watch it, but also don't expect to get plastered if you play this game with individual episodes. It won't hammer you, but it will get you to the other side of tipsy and that's kind of my point. It honestly feels like if someone actually cared this series could have been special, but sadly it decided it could coast by being a bog standard isekai. And yet, the show was kind of perplexing because it kept having those tiny little glimmers of potential.

Main character has ridiculously powerful isekai powers? Check, and his usual standard super magic is as boring as ever, but there's still stuff around him that had potential. When he discovers he's OP his teacher ran screaming both because of it and because he doesn't have a shadow, that's weird and alarming and little is done with it. He may also literally be an incarnate god which feels on the nose for this kind of show and actually kind of interesting and also isn't explored. Also he has a magic eye that lets him see where people are injured, but he has to actually diagnose what the problem is, that's actually kind of interesting. Also unlike the others it's used well: late in the series when a plague hits he uses it to figure out who in quarantine has it and who doesn't by looking at the whole room and going "black plague", that's a more creative use of his power than you usually get. It's also kind of refreshing that the power the protagonist uses most of the time is just to compound real-world medicines and give proper, modern medical treatment. It honestly feels like the rest of his uber magic detracts from the show.

It was pretty funny when he finally had the showdown with the supernaturally-powered criminal mastermind in the final episode, the guy was apparently so powerful that he'd taken over a neighbouring kingdom and had also been undermining the hero's kingdom from behind the scenes for months if not years. When he entered the city the protag found him almost immediately and easily disintegrated him with a single blow, not even raising a sweat.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

It was pretty funny when he finally had the showdown with the supernaturally-powered criminal mastermind in the final episode, the guy was apparently so powerful that he'd taken over a neighbouring kingdom and had also been undermining the hero's kingdom from behind the scenes for months if not years. When he entered the city the protag found him almost immediately and easily disintegrated him with a single blow, not even raising a sweat.

The manga treats the arc very differently, it's a lot longer and more action-oriented.

The pacing for the anime as a whole was just very strange.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Like I said, every time the show goes all stock isekai it honestly feels like it's getting in the way of itself. The last arc of the plot was a lot more interesting when it looked like it was completely conventional bioterrorism by an rear end in a top hat taking advantage of people's ignorance of how diseases work to do a political sabotage using "acts of god". The moment it spins around into having magic with the reveal that the villain is literally an evil skeleton man with magic powers cackling about how much he likes killing it becomes so much lamer. Similarly the resolution being a magic super punch to the bad guy also feels incredibly cheap, the show had actually been doing well up until that point focusing on responding responsibly and realistically to the threat of a pandemic. Heck, you can still have a final confrontation similar to what we got, except just better. It would have been significantly more resonant for the villain to invade MC's pharmacy and gloat about all the bad things he could do with these chemicals if he was just a garden-variety psychopath and not a possessed evil spirit.

But no, isekai gotta isekai. It feels a heck of a lot like an own goal when introducing supernatural powers makes a story MORE banal, but there you go.

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i finished up the rest of the shows i was watching from this season.

shadows house s2: didn't see a lot of posts about it (haven't read the manga so i don't know if the anime only ending last season killed all the interest) but i thought the second half of this season was pretty good and i'm excited to see where it goes.

yurei deco: i wouldn't have finished it if i didn't have access to an exercise bike and the weather was bad. the ending is just as uninspired as the rest of the show

call of the night: it was really good. highly recommended if you like cool night time moods and neat directional flourishes. i love the inverted vending machine scene callback at the end.

summer 2022, you were a pretty good season, but now it's time to watch rakugo tanuki

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Big Leg posted:

i love the inverted vending machine scene callback at the end.

man i hate that i never get stuff like this. my memory's so bad! that's a really cool callback