Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Obama2 posted:

Go ride the DC/NY metro then look yourself in the mirror with a straight face and tell yourself the barrier of entry should be lowered

Agreed, people who personally annoy me shouldn't be privy to public services. Like you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

can't even post three characters without a typo lol

That's true posting power. Don't back up, don't correct yoursel, donc't think and don't even read

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
OP i love the idea. I'll take a free bus. I also think funicular lines should be built up all steep hills

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

Vim Fuego posted:

OP i love the idea. I'll take a free bus. I also think funicular lines should be built up all steep hills

going to drive a huge funicular up your freaking rear end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Smythe posted:

going to drive a huge funicular up your freaking rear end!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

galenanorth posted:

once I boarded a bus and said "I'd like a day pass", then I got asked by a bus driver "you want the youth pass, right?" I said "I'm 28." My mom had told me I should get the youth pass. The bus driver shook his head and said "should've taken the youth pass". He was a hero of the people

i get my public transit through work but i look like a baby and before i started getting it paid for i bought the youth ticket and was never questioned, pre-covid id also tell the people in the metro shop im a student and get half priced coffee

no one gives a poo poo about these things if you just give them a chance to assume you belong to that group

with the youth ticket you could get busted every third month and still save money, assuming you get the 30-day ticket. theres also an insurance for :10bux: /month instead of the 90/month full price

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009
also my freedoms depend on someone being able to extract a profit from the previous generations investments so op should shut the hell up

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

Vim Fuego posted:

That's true posting power. Don't back up, don't correct yoursel, donc't think and don't even read

the doctor didn't have the heart to tell you it was a learning disability huh

Quotey
Aug 16, 2006

We went out for lunch and then we stopped for some bubble tea.

cenotaph posted:

I cannot find the relevant section in Helen Yaffe's We Are Cuba because my ereader can't search for "bus" without giving me every instance of business and Bush in the entire book, but I'm reasonably certain that Castro argued against free busses because people would hop on for two blocks and slow down the route, so they instead charged a nominal fee. This obviously doesn't apply to trains that make stops at set points. Seems to work for the Cubans.

From "Fidel Castro: My Life" apparently (his spoken autobio)

"Listen, the trolley bus cost four cents, the metro I think five cents — and that meant that people were going back and forth between this place and that place too much. I explained to Yeltsin what happened to us with respect to that, because at one point he says to me, ‘I think public transport should be free.’ And I told him it should have a reasonable price, if only to cut down on the number of unnecessary trips people make when transport is free, because once, here, in Cuba, a Party secretary in a certain region [...] a compańero of ours, we’d assigned him some busses for the region, and he’d made the decision that those buses would be free.

Transport here was almost free, but instead of walking for ten blocks, seven blocks, people would take the bus — they might not even pay, there wouldn’t be time, or they’d pay to ride half a mile, which multiplied usage unnecessarily. So here comes Yeltsin saying that transport ought to be free, and I had to advise him that they shouldn’t make transport and other similar services free — although of course education and health care would be exceptions — and that they already had too many things almost free because the prices were fixed, which was something that we certainly knew about [in Cuba]."

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
In Cuba it's policy that Govt vehicles pick up hitchhikers if they can. Because they treat the armed for es as a make-work program for college grads this results in militarized free public transit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obama2
Oct 22, 2021

Jabberlock posted:

Agreed, people who personally annoy me shouldn't be privy to public services. Like you

until the homelessness crisis is solved it’s just not going to work. people would literally start camping in, making GBS threads in, panhandling in train cars, many already do. free healthcare to keep them off of drugs, specifically methadone treatment for the ones on dog food and adhd medication for the meth heads, would alleviate the drug pressures the homeless face then free occupational therapy in addition to drug treatment to get them employed would be far more beneficial to them then being able to ride the train to their next dealer. the same occupational therapy could help them navigate existing social services to get them functioning to the same level as privileged craKKKas, like you.

War and Pieces posted:

In Cuba it's policy that Govt vehicles pick up hitchhikers if they can. Because they treat the armed for es as a make-work program for college grads this results in militarized free public transit.

Cuba may be tempting to model a utopia off of, but they self report crime, literacy rates, etc. if a woman was sexually assaulted hitchhiking with government vehicles you can guarantee no one would hear about it and if she spoke out about it she would likely be detained and held in solitary confinement. there is a reason they are willing to risk their lives to get to Florida of all places on rafts.