Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer
Germany had a 9-euro ticket during the Summer to cut down on energy costs. You bought one ticket once a month for the three months it was available, and all the regional trains and buses would accept this ticket, letting you ride all you wanted.

It was super popular, and the trains and buses were super packed during this time.
Though apparently people still used their cars almost as much, at least according to this: https://www.tum.de/aktuelles/alle-meldungen/pressemitteilungen/detail/9-euro-ticket-mehr-menschen-fahren-bus-und-bahn

Just a 3% drop in car use. Though apparently seasonally it goes up by 3%, so that's 6% total fewer cars I guess than normal. Maybe. Perhaps.
Still, it was super helpful to a lot of people. And gave people a lot of opportunity to travel to places around the country.

Unfortunately, the program ended for some reason instead of just going on forever.

However, the whole time I kept thinking: Wouldn't it save everyone a lot of money and effort to just make it all free?
I mean the trains and buses are gonna run regardless of tickets sold. And selling these monthly tickets or any tickets and checking them and all this and that - That's just a lot of extra hassle.

Just make everything free. We'll all save money.

Or am I missing something? Aside from saving poor people money is never politically attractive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
do better, this is hate speech against a small minority, nobody ever thinks about the needs of the oppressed private-public partnership critical infrastructure contract grifting company owners

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
d&,d rear end post

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

If to live in this style is to be eccentric, it must be confessed that there is something good in eccentricity.

Grimey Drawer

bagual posted:

do better, this is hate speech against a small minority, nobody ever thinks about the needs of the oppressed private-public partnership critical infrastructure contract grifting company owners

They can also ride the bus, if they'd like. :bandwagon:

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

some plague rats posted:

d&,d rear end post

can't even post three characters without a typo lol

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

It's a promoted Oxford comma, it goes before all conjunctions.
Well, I realize now it came after the &, so there's really just no defending it after all.

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

It's free if you can fight a bus driver or cry hard enough when your card declines

Honky Mao
Dec 26, 2012

Private transit should also be free

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Shadow0 posted:

They can also ride the bus, if they'd like. :bandwagon:

i know it's common to encounter cockroaches and rats on american public transit but i'd rather it be vermin free thank you

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Pepe Silvia Browne posted:

Can't even type a post without a lol

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007

some plague rats posted:

Can't even type a post without a lol

hey, you did it! good job!

the white hand
Nov 12, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
that's it OP. sustain the present system by awarding treats

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Nah, transit agencies should be obsessed with fare box recovery until they are running a bus every three hours.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

public transit should be free if you bring your own vehicle

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer
In Korea, buses actively attempt to murder you. Maybe we should consider adopting this model elsewhere to reduce our carbon footprint.

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

In Korea, buses actively attempt to murder you. Maybe we should consider adopting this model to reduce our carbon footprint.

this would just result in the extrajudicial murder of buses and giving buses the death penalty

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

One time i was on a train between munich and nuremberg and some guy tried to just get on the train without a ticket. The conductor came around checking tickets and when he found out he got extremely pissed off and was sort of quietly berating the guy with his face like 6 inches from the other guy's for like 10 minutes til we got to the next station where cops pulled the guy off the train

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hatebag posted:

One time i was on a train between munich and nuremberg and some guy tried to just get on the train without a ticket. The conductor came around checking tickets and when he found out he got extremely pissed off and was sort of quietly berating the guy with his face like 6 inches from the other guy's for like 10 minutes til we got to the next station where cops pulled the guy off the train

When my family came to visit, they thought the trains in Germany were free because there was no ticketing thing or something. I only found out about this months after they had gone home when they were talking about it.

I myself have also rode the train for free - from Lübeck to Köln - by accidentally, yet very strategically, going to the bathroom at the perfect time.

Hmm, actually, now that I think about it, I have a lot of stories about interactions with ticket controllers...

redneck nazgul
Apr 25, 2013

Shadow0 posted:

When my family came to visit, they thought the trains in Germany were free because there was no ticketing thing or something. I only found out about this months after they had gone home when they were talking about it.

I myself have also rode the train for free - from Lübeck to Köln - by accidentally, yet very strategically, going to the bathroom at the perfect time.

you're under arrest for train crimes

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

redneck nazgul posted:

you're under arrest for train crimes

Seems justice was as delayed as the trains always are.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
no it should be expsnive

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Shadow0 posted:

Hmm, actually, now that I think about it, I have a lot of stories about interactions with ticket controllers...

Yeah you can roll the dice and see if you won't get caught. You could probably get away with free train rides most of the time but I was in germany for like a week or 2 and i saw that guy get busted and also some kids on the dresden metro too. I think the ticket said it was something like a 50 to 150 euro fine but i would rather not have some angry german train guy getting up in my face, which is probably the point of berating people like a weird public humiliation thing.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Cars should be free but make guzzoline cost $1000000 per liter

Should take care of public housing and car culture at the same time!

Shadow0
Jun 16, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Hatebag posted:

Yeah you can roll the dice and see if you won't get caught. You could probably get away with free train rides most of the time but I was in germany for like a week or 2 and i saw that guy get busted and also some kids on the dresden metro too. I think the ticket said it was something like a 50 to 150 euro fine but i would rather not have some angry german train guy getting up in my face, which is probably the point of berating people like a weird public humiliation thing.

I don't know how exciting my ticketing stories are, but I've been:
- booted for free before when I misunderstood how my student ticket worked,
- hit with a 60 euro fee when the machine wouldn't take my money and I decided to risk it,
- and had them actually believe my story that my ticket was stolen or fell or something while I was sleeping (which was true).
Never had anyone yell at me though.

Though now that I think about it, I do remember a guy yelling for far too long at a large family who didn't have tickets on a bus, so maybe I've just been (un)lucky.

A friend of mine would frequently ride across half the main island of Japan for about $4 by buying a platform ticket and then getting off at semi-remote stations where the tickets weren't checked.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

I think mass transit should be free but you have to listen to Latin service the entire time and the Vatican can subsidize it with their blood money

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

You want things free??? Like vuvuzuela?? Get a job hippie!!!

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

public transit should be affordable only by the wealthy, everyone else shoudl have to walk

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

it should be illegal for germans to yell in general and on trains in particular

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

once I boarded a bus and said "I'd like a day pass", then I got asked by a bus driver "you want the youth pass, right?" I said "I'm 28." My mom had told me I should get the youth pass. The bus driver shook his head and said "should've taken the youth pass". He was a hero of the people

galenanorth has issued a correction as of 22:01 on Oct 21, 2022

Jabberlock
Nov 29, 2014

Bus fares are free where I live, ama

FacelessVoid
Jul 8, 2009
sorry kid, wont work in a big country like america. maybe move to france.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

If buses were free people would just take advantage of the system and think of all the rideshare drivers struggling to make ends meet that would be left without an income, often POCs and the disabled just hustling to make ends meet, you goddamn racist ableist

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
And don't forget about all the well paid unionized car factory workers who will surely suffer from drop in car sales!

croup coughfield
Apr 8, 2020
Probation
Can't post for 58 days!
wrong op

Col.Schultz
May 14, 2010

Till we come to some beginning within our own power...
At least in Australia the ticket price for trains is already effectively 80% subsidised. So I’ve never understood why they don’t just subsidise the rest. Something about, well if it’s free people will use it too much probably. Which seems to miss the point.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

I cannot find the relevant section in Helen Yaffe's We Are Cuba because my ereader can't search for "bus" without giving me every instance of business and Bush in the entire book, but I'm reasonably certain that Castro argued against free busses because people would hop on for two blocks and slow down the route, so they instead charged a nominal fee. This obviously doesn't apply to trains that make stops at set points. Seems to work for the Cubans.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

cenotaph posted:

I cannot find the relevant section in Helen Yaffe's We Are Cuba because my ereader can't search for "bus" without giving me every instance of business and Bush in the entire book, but I'm reasonably certain that Castro argued against free busses because people would hop on for two blocks and slow down the route, so they instead charged a nominal fee. This obviously doesn't apply to trains that make stops at set points. Seems to work for the Cubans.

Can you search for “bus “ or “bus,” or “bus.“? Usually how I thread that particular needle

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Can you search for “bus “ or “bus,” or “bus.“? Usually how I thread that particular needle

I tried and it didn't return any results.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

cenotaph posted:

I tried and it didn't return any results.

Yeah it all depends on whether your reader will ignore the space or not. Some do and some don’t. Anyway, if you find it I’m curious to read the quote

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

HashtagGirlboss posted:

Yeah it all depends on whether your reader will ignore the space or not. Some do and some don’t. Anyway, if you find it I’m curious to read the quote

Yeah it's a pdf so I tried it in sumatra pdf and firefox and I can't find anything with them, either. You can find download links for the pdf by googling the title if anyone else wants to have a go.