Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ethics_Gradient posted:

I can sorta see it in that first pic, not so much the others.

Light leaks can vary in how they manifest depending on the location of the leak, conditions, and how long the film sat between shots. For example, you might have left your camera on frame 15 for a couple days, during which you walked around with it around your neck a bunch. One afternoon you take a shot, advance it, then quickly take another (let's say trying a different composition of the same subject) and advance again. If the leak is where the film sits in the chamber, frame 15 will be obliterated from several days exposure, whereas it may not manifest at all in frame 16 because it was only in the film chamber for a second or two.

Something you can try next time to try and troubleshoot is to let the film sit in the chamber for a while in bright afternoon light, and do a long exposure with the lens cap on. Scan that frame and load it into PS or your image editing program of choice, and play around the with the levels/curves until you can see a light leak. Remember that everything will be upside down/mirror image.

Thanks for this advice, I'll give this a go with a couple of frames. It always seems to be on the left hand edge but it doesn't look like light leaks I can find on google, I'm starting to think maybe the shutter is sticking right at the end or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo

C-41 ca. 2018

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?
Okeydoke, I have ordered a nice looking macro bellows set(and i went ahead and got the double cable release while i was at it) for the OM system. I have one other question which is actually plenty relevant to other types of shooting I like to do - is there any way to lock up the mirror before the shutter fires on the OM system, specifically the 4/4Ti? It seems to do it for you when you're doing a self-timer exposure - as soon as you press the shutter release the mirror goes up and you can no longer see through the viewer and then 10 seconds later the shutter goes. It'd be nice for long exposures and for the macros I have planned to not have to sit there and wait 10 seconds on top of however long I'm exposing. I've gone over the user manual twice and saw no mention of it.

Havana Affair
Apr 6, 2009
I think only the om-1 has mirror lock up.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Rhetorical questions only
Fun Shoe
I should create a motion picture thread, but here's a little film I created recently as a test roll for a bolex H16S non-reflex camera I bought and had serviced. I wanted to create something that captured springtime. This is the first project that I actually sat down and created a shot list for. Considering I've really never created a video in my 30 something years and this is all shot in my neighborhood, I'm OK with it. The biggest thing I'd do differently is using a tripod for sure, and maybe being more patient for better shots of some things. I whiffed the exposure on a couple shots but I was able to use most of the 3 minutes of film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kwsn3_rLqlU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do

a dingus posted:

I should create a motion picture thread, but here's a little film I created recently as a test roll for a bolex H16S non-reflex camera I bought and had serviced. I wanted to create something that captured springtime. This is the first project that I actually sat down and created a shot list for. Considering I've really never created a video in my 30 something years and this is all shot in my neighborhood, I'm OK with it. The biggest thing I'd do differently is using a tripod for sure, and maybe being more patient for better shots of some things. I whiffed the exposure on a couple shots but I was able to use most of the 3 minutes of film.

I love this. My brother shot the final project for his film degree with a 16mm bolex. I would read the gently caress out of that thread.

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Ziggy Smalls posted:

I love this. My brother shot the final project for his film degree with a 16mm bolex. I would read the gently caress out of that thread.

Thank you! I think I took inspiration from people doing film school projects on YouTube, ha. This one isn't a film school project but I think it's what made me want to shoot something in this style. I have some recorded sounds that I might make another cut with. I'll get to making a motion picture thread soon enough. At this point Ive played with enough cameras to make a decent OP.

Admiral Bosch
Apr 19, 2007
Who is Admiral Aken Bosch, and what is that old scoundrel up to?

a dingus posted:

I am so bummed - I apparently failed to hook up the second side of this double 8mm to its reel correctly when I switched it over and now my film is all jumbled inside my flea market kodak Brownie. For a hundred god drat dollars of film+dev+scan from FPP I am really kicking myself. Nice work though.

dema
Aug 13, 2006

a dingus posted:

The biggest thing I'd do differently is using a tripod for sure

Yeah, that immediately jumped out at me. So used to seeing super stable video. Adds to the retro feels though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a dingus
Mar 22, 2008

Fun Shoe

Admiral Bosch posted:

I am so bummed - I apparently failed to hook up the second side of this double 8mm to its reel correctly when I switched it over and now my film is all jumbled inside my flea market kodak Brownie. For a hundred god drat dollars of film+dev+scan from FPP I am really kicking myself. Nice work though.

That's the intimidating thing about these things... you load it up and hope it works because once you put the cover back on it's like Schrodinger's cat. Is there any way you can open it in a light proof big or darkroom and fix it? Even if you need to re-spool it at least you'd save at least half your footage.

dema posted:

Yeah, that immediately jumped out at me. So used to seeing super stable video. Adds to the retro feels though.

I have a tripod that I used for a couple shots, like the rainy window. I just think after using a still camera for so long I totally forgot that if I sway like a drunken sailor it's not going to be rectified by a fast shutter speed. Whoops