Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

While it looks like that one demon guy is dead as gently caress, I'd been wondering whether his whole "arc" was leading to a plot point where some of the "natural enemies" have a change of perspective as they're forced to contend with a threat for the first time.

Then again, the demons are the only natural enemy race that has been shown to even vaguely have a mindset similar to normal humans (the others all come off as completely psycho and incapable of empathy, if they're even sapient). This might be because their power seems weirdly concentrated among this minority of executives/leaders (and I bet the actual top Demon King is a complete monster on par with the other strongest entities), but most demons seem like they can be plausibly be defeated by human heroes (with normal ground troops straight-up being fodder compared with heroes). So while the human race as a whole is powerless against the demons due to the strength of the demon leaders, they aren't quite as untouchable as most of the other "natural enemies." And demons seem to care about other demons to some extent, while the neohumans and giants don't seem to give a poo poo about other neohumans/giants getting killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Why did Daikokuzan turn its head toward Hallow and co? They don't seem to be doing anything big enough to get its attention. I'm thinking maybe it's not actually chasing them, but looking in the direction of the human base after it teleported.

MonsterEnvy posted:

something Kiva was giving him I think.

Kiva wasn't giving him anything, he was trying to use that one last chance to kill Hallow. When Pakkya kicked him off of the car, he dropped the demon whistle that he used to summon the other generals. Hallow noticed it and grabbed it, but didn't say anything about it to the others. Seems like kind of a... bad thing to have around, but I guess we'll see.

Devils Affricate fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 24, 2024

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Devils Affricate posted:

Why did Daikokuzan turn its head toward Hallow and co? They don't seem to be doing anything big enough to get its attention. I'm thinking maybe it's not actually chasing them, but looking in the direction of the human base after it teleported.

Kiva wasn't giving him anything, he was trying to use that one last chance to kill Hallow. When Pakkya kicked him off of the car, he dropped the demon whistle that he used to summon the other generals. Hallow noticed it and grabbed it, but didn't say anything about it to the others. Seems like kind of a... bad thing to have around, but I guess we'll see.

tbf, it kind of worked out in their favor this time. Being able to summon demons on-command to come run headfirst into whatever other natural enemy is around seems like a nice powerup for their current plans, awry as gently caress as they've gone so far. I was expecting the teleport to move the whole castle too for whatever reason though.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Man I really hope the aliens come back later with Mechadaikokuzan or something.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Ytlaya posted:

While it looks like that one demon guy is dead as gently caress, I'd been wondering whether his whole "arc" was leading to a plot point where some of the "natural enemies" have a change of perspective as they're forced to contend with a threat for the first time.

Then again, the demons are the only natural enemy race that has been shown to even vaguely have a mindset similar to normal humans (the others all come off as completely psycho and incapable of empathy, if they're even sapient). This might be because their power seems weirdly concentrated among this minority of executives/leaders (and I bet the actual top Demon King is a complete monster on par with the other strongest entities), but most demons seem like they can be plausibly be defeated by human heroes (with normal ground troops straight-up being fodder compared with heroes). So while the human race as a whole is powerless against the demons due to the strength of the demon leaders, they aren't quite as untouchable as most of the other "natural enemies." And demons seem to care about other demons to some extent, while the neohumans and giants don't seem to give a poo poo about other neohumans/giants getting killed.

The giants definitely care if their own kind get killed.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Mraagvpeine posted:

The giants definitely care if their own kind get killed.

It seemed like they were mostly just offended by it and viewed it as a threat, rather than being concerned about the well-being of their allies. Whereas with the demons there seems to be a sense of actual loyalty.

I kind of hope I'm wrong, though, since it'd be interesting to get some more depth out of the sapient enemy species.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Man I really like how things have developed over these last few issues, this is good stuff! (A brave and controversial take for a series by ONE, I know)

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It seemed like they were mostly just offended by it and viewed it as a threat, rather than being concerned about the well-being of their allies. Whereas with the demons there seems to be a sense of actual loyalty.

I kind of hope I'm wrong, though, since it'd be interesting to get some more depth out of the sapient enemy species.

It seems very in line with ONE’s writing to have individual members of the Natural Enemy factions gain empathy and join the humans. I could see potential for this in the demons (Kiva), aliens (they seem to have varied personalities, and simply regard everything else as bugs), AI Robots (perhaps a rogue drone), possibly others… ONE seems to love dogs, so maybe they get an untamed wildlife animal as a pet?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010
Yeah I don't think the giants showed any personal concern for one another, they just got rattled by seeing one of their own actually get taken down. I don't get the impression that the demons have much loyalty or love for each other either, they just follow a hierarchy of strength. The Madarans seem to have respect for each other, though.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
I hope that Hallow becomes good friends with Akita Toriyama.

Very classic DB with that capsule car driving around.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Well that's the end of Kiva, couldn't have happened soon enough.

Hey wait a second-

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Devils Affricate posted:

I don't get the impression that the demons have much loyalty or love for each other either, they just follow a hierarchy of strength. The Madarans seem to have respect for each other, though.

Kiva at least seemed to be concerned about the well-being of the greater demon empire, and mentions "leaving their fate in Jachi's hands" as he goes to fight to his death against the Madarans. If it was just about strength, it seems like he'd just be ambivalent since the strongest will win in the end.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Daikokuzan might be attracted by technology.

It was noted to be trying to eat the ship, and it turned towards the humans who escaped on a tech device.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Or it could be following Hallow's mana-rich fairy partner.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
It's Gamera in addition to Godzilla. It senses children it must save.

Miss Mowcher
Jul 24, 2007

Ribbit
Daikokuzan is probably detecting radiation from the vehicle they used

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I’m just going to go ahead and predict that the curse world humanity somehow brought the curse on themselves due to their terrifying soul-capture technology

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Bucswabe posted:

I’m just going to go ahead and predict that the curse world humanity somehow brought the curse on themselves due to their terrifying soul-capture technology

They must have really been going at it. That was what, one demon grunt to a mile?

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

Very classic DB with that capsule car driving around.

Yeah I noticed that too! It looks too similar, I'm convinced it's an homage to Toriyama.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Caidin posted:

They must have really been going at it. That was what, one demon grunt to a mile?

Well he was nearly dead.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Yeah what non evil reason is there for having "Turn souls into lovely cars" technology

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

Terror Sweat posted:

Yeah what non evil reason is there for having "Turn souls into lovely cars" technology

Look, do you want to solve climate change with renewable energy or not

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

It seemed like a pretty good car to me

I think if I died I'd be okay with my soul becoming neat DragonBall car.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I assume it's because the Curse is killing everything, so they used the dying as fuel.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

It seemed like a pretty good car to me

I think if I died I'd be okay with my soul becoming neat DragonBall car.

It lasted like 4 miles

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I bet a rocket fueled by souls gets a great weight/energy ratio, unless the souls need to be fresh for optimum output

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Terror Sweat posted:

It lasted like 4 miles

Maybe demons aren't a great fuel source for it, nearly dead or not.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Terror Sweat posted:

It lasted like 4 miles

That's because they didn't drive it well.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

That's because they didn't drive it well.

Also Kiva crashing into it probably didn't help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
We're getting our tabletop RPG party, but instead of DnD, it's Paranoia/Call of Cthulhu.