Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fluffdaddy
Jan 3, 2009

From the creator of One Punch Man comes the manga Versus, a battle manga described by Mangadex as:

quote:

Humanity has been oppressed for hundreds of years due to the rise and invasion of the natural enemy "demons". The world was ruled by the "Great Demon Lord" and his 47 "Demon Lords". While people live in fear, 47 people selected from all over the world have been named "Heroes" and are preparing to fight against the Demon King's army. And now, a desperate operation with the survival of mankind on the line was about to begin.

Art is by Azuma Kyoutarou, who has drawn a few manga for The King of Fighters.

Twitter:

One: https://twitter.com/ONE_rakugaki

Azuma: https://twitter.com/az_ky_

Characters:

Hallow:

The main protagonist. Is the 11th hero.

Zaybe:

Hallows brother

Jachi:

The 11th Demon King of the Great Demon King Army

There are a poo poo ton of characters like every other One manga all with wild designs.

Read on Mangadex:

https://mangadex.org/title/09bbbb75-1086-4e7c-b775-ae9ee1816e0d/versus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

poastin in a dead thread

comics alright tho

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
I like the silly aliens

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
This started kinda slow-ish but the premise has really come together in the last 2 major encounters.

Prowler
May 24, 2004

I was definitely feeling fatigued with the setup, although its release schedule probably made it worse. I'm enjoying the fireworks factory, a good mixture of humor, action, and intrigue.

And the art is great!

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
hell yah i am likin Versus so far. slower start for ONE imo but pickin up steam

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S
Versus had a kinda slow start, but the general concept is cool and I like that the humans at least seem to be growing to potentially compete themselves. It's not instantly amazing like ONE's other works, but I'm having a really good time with it.

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

I definitely thought hallow was getting a cybernetic prosthetic within the first few chapters but it seems like he’s going to be one-armed for the long haul, which jives with the overarching theme of humanity continuing to fight despite seemingly insurmountable disadvantages

one is really good at writing dislikeable characters, the neet from disaster world sucks so much

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
A goof manga

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
You know with all the bragging about their natural predators the humans did earlier, at this point it’s clear the demons were small fry. The robots nearly beat up the demons earlier and now 1 alien is beating up 4 generals. Looking at the giants, it’s safe to assume the flying aliens could take them on as well. New humans are a wild card I guess, they’re pretty nimble.

I guess future world currently has the most powerful predator. Though I guess the virus remains to be seen.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
*A good manga

Darth TNT posted:

You know with all the bragging about their natural predators the humans did earlier, at this point it’s clear the demons were small fry. The robots nearly beat up the demons earlier and now 1 alien is beating up 4 generals. Looking at the giants, it’s safe to assume the flying aliens could take them on as well. New humans are a wild card I guess, they’re pretty nimble.

I guess future world currently has the most powerful predator. Though I guess the virus remains to be seen.

I mean it's too early to say that.These demons are not the strongest of their kind. We still have the demon kings out there...

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Decent manga though with the sheer number of characters and concepts and how were being slowly dripfed there really isnt much to say about it yet.

Gimme more gags, ONE.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The thing is demons work on JRPG rules where you have like a couple hundred species of weird guys under one umbrella and the lower rungs are tough but not out of reach for a well armed and trained sword monkey but the mid ranking ones and up are increasingly horseshit. The robots probably have a very similar system.

The aliens by comparison are a bunch of mascot shaped freeza's but who knows if they already the top agents of their own faction or if they have a super alien king or whatever.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

I need to see what mad Max world is up to. I was gonna say that neo humans are kind of inspiring in a bleak way since it kind of proves that humanity probably has the ability to transcend to the predator tier (hopefully without the psychopathy) but there might just be wasteland bandits beating up kaijus in the background right now?

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

I need to see what mad Max world is up to. I was gonna say that neo humans are kind of inspiring in a bleak way since it kind of proves that humanity probably has the ability to transcend to the predator tier (hopefully without the psychopathy) but there might just be wasteland bandits beating up kaijus in the background right now?

I still really hope there will be a reveal that the wasteland bandits are the strongest for no reason anyone can understand. Like one of those aliens descends down to hunt some for sport and gets absolutely wrecked by a bunch of hooting hooligans on bikes and ramshackle cars. The mad god tries to smite them and they just say god is dead and ignore it.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I have been really drawn to this series for the existential horror that ONE is surprisingly good at writing. Even the very first chapter with all the 47 heroes being killed off screen one by one, and the Demon Kings being orders of magnitude stronger than everything else in the demon army was great.

Then the reveal of all the other worlds' enemies sold it. Really eager to see a lot more of the AI, World Tree, Neo Humanity, and the gaming world.

Now that the series is past the 5 straight chapters of meetings it's really getting good!

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
It's waaaay too early to say "This threat is the biggest" when we haven't even seen what most of the other apocalypses can do. My guess is the aliens get addicted to game-world.

I mostly just wanna know how in the hell "regular humans, but bad" can compete with something like "God."

Vise the Stompy
Mar 26, 2006

This cosmic dance; bursting decadence and withheld permissions, twists all our arms collectively. But, if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend....Peace!
Doctor Rope

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Im hoping they will just be Warhammer 40K Orks with the serial numbers filed off.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
if Mad Max work has a Lord Humungus-esque megaboss called The Overman then God doesnt have a chance.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Man I sure loving hated the first like 6 chapters due to all the talking and one-note characters and bounced off hard, but now that it seems like it got to the fireworks factory things look good again?

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009

Bisse posted:

Man I sure loving hated the first like 6 chapters due to all the talking and one-note characters and bounced off hard, but now that it seems like it got to the fireworks factory things look good again?

The action kicks off with them attempting to implement a specific plan to pit Natural Enemies against one another. It’s been pretty much non-stop since then, so I would say it’s worth a second look.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
You can also rewire your brain to like the initial chapters by simply believing its a bit.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
the first few chapters are fine if you can blitz thru them to a point where the plot kicks off waiting for them to be published monthly was kind of a drag but i am back in

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The support fairy looks sorta like Laila's mask from Kubera - https://www.anime-planet.com/characters/laila-hemawati

Desumaytah posted:

It's waaaay too early to say "This threat is the biggest" when we haven't even seen what most of the other apocalypses can do. My guess is the aliens get addicted to game-world.

I mostly just wanna know how in the hell "regular humans, but bad" can compete with something like "God."

Yeah, I feel like the "mad max world" enemies are a bit outmatched.

Then again, that's the case with a lot of the enemies (like the Madarans are obviously way beyond the giants, wildlife, robots, and new humans - they basically have the same "source of strength" as the last two, just way more).

I feel like the curse (which is likely a worse version of the parasite as an "invisible enemy") and the god are going to be big players, as weird things that are "beyond technology." The Demon Lords also seem like they're still a big deal. After all, Hallow said the Madaran felt "the same as" the Demon Lord guy.

edit: The one thing that feels kind of weird about this manga's setting is that there appear to be literally like 500 humans left from all the different civilizations. Like literally just a couple dozen people came from each civilization (minus the magic world one that we started with, since their world is obviously still the "base world").

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Feb 3, 2024

skaianDestiny
Jan 13, 2017

beep boop

Ytlaya posted:

edit: The one thing that feels kind of weird about this manga's setting is that there appear to be literally like 500 humans left from all the different civilizations. Like literally just a couple dozen people came from each civilization (minus the magic world one that we started with, since their world is obviously still the "base world").

That's all the humans they were able to find and rescue. Remember that blobfish demon general had an entire group of humans he uses as board game pieces; I'm fairly certain there's pockets of humans out around various areas/natural enemy bases. Even the giants used humans as slave labor.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

there were normal humans entrapped by the neo-humans wherever that hero was held too

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I still hope Mad Max world will turn out to be Fist of the North Star world.

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

If Mad Max world is just a bunch of otherwise physically normal car-freak psychopaths following an absurd, evil Kenshiro, then yeah, I get it.

Maybe the madmen are even literally following him. Maybe he isn't all that evil, just stressed and introverted and way too powerful. A bunch of crazies stalking a guy who just wants to be left alone and can't deescalate from obliterating entire continents while trying to swat them away because his forbidden martial art is forbidden for a very good reason. A weird mix of Vash the Stampede and Kenshiro from a FotNS abridged series.

I dunno, man. The premise of this series owns a lot.

Desumaytah fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Feb 8, 2024

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

On the one hand, I wish we knew what every world's threats were immediately. But on the other hand, I can't blame anyone because it's not like they know how to compare their giants to our demons or those parasites etc etc.

I'm just really looking forward to which world's big player is going to be the first to show up.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuiK7jcC1fY
Op please add this scene of the anime adaptation to the op, thank you

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just want the Alien-threatened humans to get off their high horse and admit that the other threats are actually dangerous.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Mraagvpeine posted:

I just want the Alien-threatened humans to get off their high horse and admit that the other threats are actually dangerous.

They never said the other predators weren't dangerous, just that the aliens were significantly more dangerous in comparison. Which has proven to be true, at least so far.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Devils Affricate posted:

They never said the other predators weren't dangerous, just that the aliens were significantly more dangerous in comparison. Which has proven to be true, at least so far.

It's a little bit more than that imo. They definitely have an air of "Our threat is so much bigger and scarier than all of yours, you just don't understand etc etc" with how they talk about it. Which is kinda endearing in a way.

Though I'm just waiting for the god guy to come and start erasing them from existence or for them to get wrecked by the threat from the game world or something.

JuniperCake fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Feb 8, 2024

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

JuniperCake posted:

It's a little bit more than that imo. They definitely have an air of "Our threat is so much bigger and scarier than all of yours, you just don't understand etc etc" with how they talk about it. Which is kinda endearing in a way.

Though I'm just waiting for the god guy to come and start erasing them from existence or for them to get wrecked by the threat from the game world or something.

I want the aliens to get clowned on by Mad Max world. No apparent special abilities for the Mad Max folks until the next threat (at which point a Mad Max powerhouse uses hokuto shinken)

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

My Bad can beat up your Bad.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

the real monster is man

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Synthbuttrange posted:

the real monster is man

No, that's probably the demons. Maybe the parasites.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Desumaytah posted:

My Bad can beat up your Bad.

Needs to be the thread title

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

I liked the initial chapters taking time to set things up and concealing the premise for just a little bit. I'm tired of mangas doing a mad dash to get it all done in chapter 1. Of course I read it all in one go, though

Kinda makes sense for ONE to go from series about dudes having way more strength than needed to a series about absolutely no one having anywhere near enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Synthbuttrange posted:

the real monster is man

specifically, this man: