Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Fullmetal Alechemist Brotherhood has most everything I want out of an anime. Cool magic powers that has some rules but can be bent enough to just have cool stuff happen, some politics, a continually escalating plot that is paced well and tackles some real world concerns without being too preachy, great animation and action scenes, good soundtrack, some excellent ops/eds, a fantasy world that doesn't feel like an rpg.

Paranoia Agent is a close contender though. It's the one I would recommend to people after the gateway drug of Fullmetal. Although if they're a fan of A24 movies or the like, I'd probably go with PA.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

While I definitely wouldn't call it the "best anime" (I never actually saw any of the Shippuden anime, only read the manga), I've long defended Naruto as "a genuinely exceptionally shounen series." It became as popular as it did for a reason! Absolute top-tier character designs and art, and some really great fight-scenes, particularly during the earlier parts.

I'll be honest, eventually I wrote the series off and started calling fans Narutards, just like every other mid-to-late 00's pretentious rear end in a top hat who thinks their anime opinions are special. But then my little nephew wanted me to watch this really neat episode of Boruto, and I rolled my eyes and said yes - and got the famous Episode 65 for my trouble, and then had to find out how we got to this point, and reread the manga... and here we are. Even writing fanfiction Nothing to see here, move along.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
I mean if I had more time or I had to explain why I'd probably start talking about Frieren or FMA Brotherhood but realistically if I had a gun to my head and a 3 second countdown I'd blurt out G GUNDAM because I love that show more than select family members

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSHfJuGzUdM

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Toradora and I wouldn't even hesitate saying so.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The correct answer is Cowboy Bebop

The 'I cheated and chose one of each format'
Franchise - Dragonball
Long format - One Piece
Full Season - Cowboy Bebop
Half Season - Terror in Resonance
OVA - Macross Plus
Movie - Akira

But the correct answer is Cowboy Bebop.

Neon Genesis Evangelion comes close, but it takes 6 films to stick the landing

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

Paper Lion posted:

ping pong for show

millennium actress for movie

yeah pretty much

they want shady
May 11, 2013
One Piece and Dragon Ball feel special since they've pretty much always been there, but I watched Tatami Galaxy at what felt like exactly the right time where it actually changed my life so I'd say that's my pick

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Gun to my head, my immediate answer would be Baccano!, and it's not even close for me. A nonlinear interlocking story packed with incredible characters (including Isaac & Miria, possibly the greatest duo in TV history), infinitely rewatchable, brilliant music, and one of the best dubs I've ever heard. I saw it during a time where I needed it the most and I tore through it and then immediately tore through it again. I can pick up any episode at any time and fall in love all over again.

The question gets more difficult when picking a movie but it's between The Castle of Cagliostro, any Satoshi Kon film, or The Girl Who Leapt Through Time.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah my movie answer is Akira, but l would also be ok with something like Princess Mononoke or Wings of Honneamise.

Akira wins out in the end as it's a timeless epoch of traditional animation.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Also going to cheat and break things out by my personal format definitions:

Favorite original TV Anime (released before I was born)- Mobile Suit Gundam
Favorite anime VHS I always wanted to rent but never summoned the courage to try as a teen- Dirty Pair
Favorite original TV anime (post birth)- Black Lagoon/Cowboy Bebop tie
Favorite Anime Adaptation of a manga- Bleach/ Hajime No Ippo tie
Favorite Anime Movie: Dragonball Super Superhero/Howl’s Moving Castle tie
Favorite Single season/cour anime- Star Driver
Favorite Light Novel Adaptation- I Couldn't Become a Hero, So I Reluctantly Decided to Get a Job/Full Metal Panic Fumoffu tie
Favorite show to recommend despite never having seen it- Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Favorite Compilation Movie- GURREN LAGANN THE MOVIE - Childhood's End

Edit: I apparently can never remember that black lagoon was a manga, so I guess cowboy bebop gets a clean win.

Sextro fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Apr 30, 2024

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Noir.

Millennium Actress.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
kemonozume probably left the biggest impression on me

Gilgamesh255
Aug 15, 2015
At gunpoint, with only seconds to choose? Outlaw Star, if only for delicious brown amazonian cat girl. If I had more time to choose, most likely Yu-Gi-Oh.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib
Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken, just for that scene where the girl tells her parents what being an artist means to her. Like it's not the most groundbreaking or technically impressive or well written show but that bit really made me feel something.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Edit: Actually, I think I'd probably rank 12 Kingdoms as my favorite anime based solely off how much I enjoyed it and how good I think it is in hindsight. There are other shows that have deeper messages or make much better use of the medium, but 12 Kingdoms had the great balance of good plot while also being very enjoyable to watch.

Sextro posted:

Favorite Anime Adaptation of a manga- Bleach/ Hajime No Ippo tie

I might actually go with Hajime No Ippo just as a "personal impact" anime (since I've always been more of a manga person than an anime one, but I watched the original Ippo anime long before I read the manga)

Watching that anime in college got me and my friend (at a different college many states away - I was in NYC and he was at Auburn in Alabama) super into exercise and later (with the influence of these forums) weight-lifting. I have fond memories of going down into my dorm's small basement gym junior year, trying to do jump-rope, and vomiting into the trash can. I got to enjoy a period of "being super visibly fit" thanks to the anime (and at least some of that stuck around into adulthood).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 1, 2024

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I would get loving murdered for sure because I would waffle on the spot and have like eight different choices. The goop spilling out of my head would spell out MEGALOBOX SEASON 2 though.

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

haruhi

French Accent
Feb 3, 2012

i have too many anime i've liked just as equally, but if i had to choose, i'd probably go for samurai champloo.

i'd pick naruto for the reasons that rndmnmbr gave, but it's also got some flaws that hamper the story. still a very close 2nd though.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

If I didn't want to get shot, I'd say Ghost in the Shell: SAC. If I didn't care and wanted to answer what I actually think, Eighty-Six. I haven't seen many others that nail the ending quite as well as it does, and the direction and small details in there are something that surprise me with every rewatch.

Sachant fucked around with this message at 23:03 on May 3, 2024

DearSirXNORMadam
Aug 1, 2009

sube posted:

Haibane Renmei, I just love the themes it discusses and pacing

Bulldozed through 10 episodes after work, this is an absolute banger, except like... whatever the opposite of a banger is aesthetically, but semantically it's a banger, thank you. Gonna finish tomorrow

Personal answer: Paranoia Agent or Utena. Or maaaaybe Lain.

DearSirXNORMadam fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 4, 2024

snackcakes
May 7, 2005

A joint venture of Matsumura Fishworks and Tamaribuchi Heavy Manufacturing Concern

Infinitum posted:

The correct answer is Cowboy Bebop

It's hard to argue with this but my impulse answer is Gurren Lagann

Ringo Roadagain
Mar 27, 2010

easy. Giant Robo: The Day the Earth Stood Still

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

atrus50
Dec 24, 2008
kaiji, laputa