Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Someone holds a gun to your head and gives you on the count of three to tell them what is your number 1 best anime series. Like, no-holds barred, hands-down, top anime ever.

You can only choose one!

Which title do you blurt out, and why?

For me it would have to be Delicious In Dungeon, honestly. It's not even done yet, but it's genuinely become one of my favorite anime series of all time. The characters are lovable, the world building is incredibly rich and makes a fantasy about dungeon crawling feel lived-in and rich, and there's a healthy balance of comedy and plot. It draws on an excellent base, the source manga feels like a work of genius, and adds its own unique blend of fantastic voice acting from both the JP and ENG dubs and Trigger's unique, charming animation. It's just become one of those few anime shows that I can't stop thinking about!

Before DnD came out, I probably would've answered Spice and Wolf, but the imaginary dude has a gun to my head, so~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a7f0ESMofbI

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

i would have pulled the trigger op

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Triggerhappypilot posted:

i would have pulled the trigger op

Well of course you would!

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

i think i might say something different if i were to think on it for a while but stick a gun to my head and the first thing that pops out is gurren lagann, which i think is more my favorite anime and the one that's stuck with me the most than the "best"

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.
I can't swear that Flip Flappers is the answer I'd always give to this question, but it happens to be the really good anime that I've rewatched most recently.

Fantasy psychological drama yuri where all the weirdness actually comes together into something coherent by the end, and the details and symbolism reward paying attention and reading into it. The one flaw is the horny robot but at least most of the time when he's on screen he's getting beaten up

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
KONOSUBA.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

ping pong for show

millennium actress for movie

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Haibane Renmei, I just love the themes it discusses and pacing

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:

Southern Cassowary posted:

i think i might say something different if i were to think on it for a while but stick a gun to my head and the first thing that pops out is gurren lagann, which i think is more my favorite anime and the one that's stuck with me the most than the "best"

Yeah, same here.

Although arguably, maybe it does deserve a shot at being called the best if it managed to stick around in your head for that long.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

JoJo for tv, Porco Rosso for movies

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

For movies, for me it'd have to be Princess Mononoke.

Breathtaking, epic orchestral soundtrack that conveys a sweeping sense of grandeur and ancient mystery, stunning visuals that always inspire awe before the primeval forest spirits and gods, politics and a nuanced, grey morality when it comes to humans. It's got everything! I think it's the essence of everything Hayao Miyazaki has meditated on through his career.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Probably says Nanoha A's for TV and for Movie I'd be lost cause I can't narrow it down lamo

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

movie is princess mononoke, easily.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Fallen Rib
Recency bias but probably Frieren its just got everything i want. Awesome art and animation, great music, good characters, incredible character moments, some peak sakuga, and a satisfying story and conclusion. Its an all timer.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Apr 28, 2024

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
I'd die while waffling between Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei. I watched those in quick succession at the age of like 15, and they became central stories to my imagination. There are a handful of anime that I would consider lifelong companions, but Kino's Journey and Haibane Renmei are tied for how much they shaped my feelings about being a person in the world.

For movies, might be The Wind Rises. It manages to imbue a realist story with images so intense they become almost mythical--Nahoko's parasol and canvas; Jiro's paper airplane; Caproni's dream-plane filled with happy passengers; the sky filled with the silhouettes of warplanes. Its central theme of wanting to create beauty while trapped in the unfolding of history is really gripping, and I think is probably the most challenging idea I've come across in a film.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The best anime ever made is 2013's "Valvrave the Liberator"

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Movie is GitS 2: Batou Boogaloo Ghost in the Shell: Innocence. I would let Batou do unspeakable things to my body just love the haunting tone of the movie,

Series? *farts* Probably still Naruto.

You know what? gently caress it, serious answer. The Naruto franchise, for all it's a pretty standard shonen anime that wound up way too popular, has a lot of very adult musings built into the backstory. The question of how to retain one's humanity in the face of a military system that sees you as nothing more than one more tool to be used until destruction; the multiple demonstrations that the act of placing adult responsibilities and expectation on the shoulders of children, no matter how gifted said children may be, is a ruinously destructive act; even to the dumbest things, like why Naruto cannot believe Hinata loves him until he is literally beaten over the head with it - it's a natural byproduct of his solitary upbringing; to real-world stuff like Kishimoto is actually pretty decent at writing female characters, he's just hampered by editors at Shueisha who are particularly meddlesome in forcing their mangaka to toe a company formula, and he's just old-school Japanese enough to take the blame for his superiors poor choices rather than throw his editors under the bus at the first opportunity, like American comic creators do -

For being a silly little kids show about the brightest orange ninja in the world, there's a lot of good stuff to unpack.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Apr 28, 2024

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

princess tutu. i love metafictional stories and it's the best one in anime, while also just being a great atmospheric and haunting magical girl show. also ahiru is funny

McGrady
Jun 27, 2003

The greatest lurker of all the lower class lurkers.
College Slice
I enjoy Black Lion more than I probably should.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Gurren Lagann

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Utena for actually saying pedophilia bad

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Motherfucking Redline.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Id say Konosuba but there would be a brief second where I hesitate and start to say Black Lagoon.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Furnaceface posted:

Id say Konosuba but there would be a brief second where I hesitate and start to say Black Lagoon.

The helicopter speedboat kill is iconic.

For me its Horimiya

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Gintama, and then they pull the trigger and mayonnaise comes out of the gun.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

Until this year I would have said Evangelion... but now my honest answer is Frieren. It's just transcendent. A masterful adaptation and upgrade of an already amazing manga.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Put a gun to my head and I'll probably stutter out Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Even though there are a jumble of other series I think stand at the top of my list, I always wind up going back to GITS every year.

MixMasterMalaria
Jul 26, 2007

Brought To You By posted:

Put a gun to my head and I'll probably stutter out Ghost in the Shell: SAC. Even though there are a jumble of other series I think stand at the top of my list, I always wind up going back to GITS every year.

This is on my shortlist for series too along with: Legend of Galactic Heroes, Cowboy Bebop, and Gurren Lagann. Akira, GitS2, Perfect Blue, and Nausicaa for theatrical. OVAs I'll splurge and say Ako, og Gunbuster, and FLCL. Pretty basic choices but those are all just so good.

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

Paranoia Agent is one of the best shows I've ever seen, anime or otherwise.

Maera Sior
Jan 5, 2012

I probably would have said Utena before, but I might say AoT now. For movies, probably Millennium Actress.

Caseman
Mar 21, 2006

RahXephon, first series I ever bought on DVD. First series I ever watched through more than once. Something about mecha + musical themes tickles my brain in just the right way.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

gonna be that guy and say attack on titan, if i'm being honest

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Noir.

Millennium Actress.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

rndmnmbr posted:

Movie is GitS 2: Batou Boogaloo Ghost in the Shell: Innocence. I would let Batou do unspeakable things to my body just love the haunting tone of the movie,

You know what? gently caress it, serious answer. The Naruto franchise, for all it's a pretty standard shonen anime that wound up way too popular, has a lot of very adult musings built into the backstory. The question of how to retain one's humanity in the face of a military system that sees you as nothing more than one more tool to be used until destruction; the multiple demonstrations that the act of placing adult responsibilities and expectation on the shoulders of children, no matter how gifted said children may be, is a ruinously destructive act; even to the dumbest things, like why Naruto cannot believe Hinata loves him until he is literally beaten over the head with it - it's a natural byproduct of his solitary upbringing; to real-world stuff like Kishimoto is actually pretty decent at writing female characters, he's just hampered by editors at Shueisha who are particularly meddlesome in forcing their mangaka to toe a company formula, and he's just old-school Japanese enough to take the blame for his superiors poor choices rather than throw his editors under the bus at the first opportunity, like American comic creators do -

For being a silly little kids show about the brightest orange ninja in the world, there's a lot of good stuff to unpack.

:golfclap: I commend you for your refreshingly honest and sincere take!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well I guess if you want a reason why, I'd say first and foremost that Redline is the most beautifully animated film I have ever seen and few things even come close to matching its raw visual power. It is easily the best looking production that Madhouse has ever released.

Then there's the content itself. I love car races, car chases and wacky sci-fi takes on both. The whole film is a love letter to racing enthusiasts and the culture that tends to follow things like Formula series, Nascar, Indy and WRC. We're getting a glimpse of this insanely creative science fiction galaxy through the lens of the people following a dubiously legal but incredibly popular racing series and that by itself makes it so believable without losing the fantastical setting. You get a feeling that this world exists and functions and has its own media and pop culture and people just going about their day before they tune in for the race weekend. And then on top of that you've got the stuff with Robo-World having a very real panic attack because an illegal racing circuit might accidentally cause a diplomatic incident and expose state secrets. So there's a whole other side of the movie with Robo World growing ever more paranoid about the galaxy discovering their evil schemes even though nobody else actually cares beyond watching the race.

Then the characters are all super fun as well. They're given just enough personality to stand out and be memorable, but that doesn't mean some of them aren't more in depth. JP and Sonoshee have a good romantic back and forth but JP's rocky friendship with Frisbee is really good. So much is left unsaid between the two but you know instantly how much they care for each other and why JP puts up with Frisbee screwing him over. I really do love their relationship across the movie.

Other characters are just hilarious, like Lynch Man and Johnny Boy as a riff on Batman and Robin if they just went around beating the poo poo out of people so they can make and sell home movies. Or Gori-Rider joining Redline specifically to gently caress with Miki and Todoroki because he's such a hater. Everyone has these little stories going on either through TV interviews, vignettes or clips that don't really have much to do with the plot but they give so much texture to everybody.

It also has one of the best dubs I've ever heard and a killer soundtrack.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 29, 2024

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Evangelion

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Rebuild of Evangelion.

"Shinji needs to grow a spine? He did and everything got worse. The end being a series of unhinged infodump conversations? I did it extra hard. Holy poo poo I need therapy? I got it, and here's the nightmare hell it was to find a better and healthier mental space in my head. Mazel tov." - Hideaki Anno.

e. It's really good though, once 3.0 + 1.0 was released and everything suddenly made sense.

rndmnmbr fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Apr 29, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

rndmnmbr posted:

While I definitely wouldn't call it the "best anime" (I never actually saw any of the Shippuden anime, only read the manga), I've long defended Naruto as "a genuinely exceptionally shounen series." It became as popular as it did for a reason! Absolute top-tier character designs and art, and some really great fight-scenes, particularly during the earlier parts.

Also, the situation with Hinata/Sakura was pretty unusual for a shounen. The main character's crush from the beginning of the series straight-up ends up with his rival character, and the main character himself ends up with a member of the supporting cast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Y'all trippin', it's Monster.