Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Nebulis01 posted:

I was told no longer than 30 days after hiving to add a second deep, shorter if they are doing very well. As to them all coming up are you smoking them when you return the lid? I find this helps hunch back down into the hive so I don't have to squish so many of them.

I'm not using smoke or anything, just trying to be gentle and calm with my movements. I have a smoker, just haven't used it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pagan posted:

How much larger were you thinking?

I dunno. 1600+?

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Here you go; biggest I have.

http://warhams.dangerbearing.com/images/BigBee-8333.jpg

(sorry for breaking tables, I'm trying to make it a URL but I guess SALR automatically parses it as an image)

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)

Nebulis01 posted:

I was told no longer than 30 days after hiving to add a second deep, shorter if they are doing very well. As to them all coming up are you smoking them when you return the lid? I find this helps hunch back down into the hive so I don't have to squish so many of them.

The time doesn't matter as much as how many frames they have filled out. If a month has gone by and they only have 4 frames done a second box is just going to make them move into it for the next frames instead of spreading out horizontally. The general rule I have been told and follow is to add a second deep when they start working on the outer 2 frames.

As for getting the cover back on, you can use smoke as mentioned or slide the cover on instead of placing it on. they will move, you just have to give them enough time to move with your slide. If they are just in one spot you can also just pat them on the back with your hand and they will get out of the way. This is also useful if you are trying to check for eggs and the frames are covered with so many bees you can't see into the cells.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Sorry to go a bit off topic for this thread, but I've got a bee problem :(

Today has been the first proper warm day of the year so far here in the UK. This morning i noticed quite a few sleepy wild honey bees hanging about on the side of my house.

By this afternoon I had lots of bees going in and out of the cracks in an old wall in my garden.

Unfortunately it is about 6 foot from my back door and is one side of a very narrow path that gets you from my front to back garden. My back door also opens onto a half finished patio and retaining wall and my building site of a garden - which I am trying to finish this week.

The bees are all over the place. every slab or brick I move they seem to want to inspect (which is making laying slabs and bricks quite tricky!), and they keep trying to crawl on me when i'm working which makes work quite slow. If I leave the door open I get loads wandering around the house.
I'm running outdoor lights behind another part of the wall and theyre all over any hole I'm trying to poke trunking and wire through.

Are these guys likely to be living behind my wall or have they just been sleeping there and will they likely move on as they wake up? They seem to be looking for places to live rather than flowers at the moment.

Is there anything i can do to put them off getting in my way?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

Pagan posted:

(sorry for breaking tables, I'm trying to make it a URL but I guess SALR automatically parses it as an image)

Thank you! Man you can see individual grains of pollen, and it's so fuzzy!

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
If they are honeybees they most likely have or are starting to build a hive in your wall. I am not sure how you best handle it in the UK but in the states you would need to find someone who does cut outs.

Pagan
Jun 4, 2003

Dick Trauma posted:

Thank you! Man you can see individual grains of pollen, and it's so fuzzy!

17 Megapixels plus an actual, proper Macro lens will do that. Glad you like it! I'll be taking more pictures throughout the year, and sharing them here.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Pagan posted:

I'm more than a little biased, but as insects go, bees are pretty adorable.

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008

Tomarse posted:

Sorry to go a bit off topic for this thread, but I've got a bee problem :(

Could try calling your local Beekeepers Association, see what they recommend. If it's a colony you've got in there you might find they'd be happy to try and take them off your hands.

How deep is the wall? Is there a recess that they could have built a nest in? It it's south facing you could've just ended up with a load of solitary bees finding the wall as a particularly good nesting spot.

Check out http://www.moraybeedinosaurs.co.uk/solitary.html for some slightly better information

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

On that thought, does anyone know how deep a solitary bee-house really has to be (bee?)? Thinking about putting one together for the garden. Somebody bought me one of these for Christmas but it seems rather... Small? Lots of wasted potential!

Edit: Ok, I can't read :v: Website says about 15cm!

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 22:48 on May 22, 2012

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -
powered by dark
oriental magic :roboluv:
I am currently in Ethiopia, training local subsistence farmers on modern and transitional beekeeping techniques. I'm being funded by USAID and brought a bunch of donated equipment from Walter T. Kelley, Dadant, and Maxant Industries.

I just graduated my first group of people from the training program. Also, my thoughts on Varroa destructor in East Africa:

http://www.boroughbees.com/2012/05/graduation-day-may-18th.html

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Dirty Needles posted:

Could try calling your local Beekeepers Association, see what they recommend. If it's a colony you've got in there you might find they'd be happy to try and take them off your hands.

How deep is the wall? Is there a recess that they could have built a nest in? It it's south facing you could've just ended up with a load of solitary bees finding the wall as a particularly good nesting spot.

Check out http://www.moraybeedinosaurs.co.uk/solitary.html for some slightly better information

Since earlier in the week the number of bees has decreased. There are a lot less buzzing around now. It is now only noticable above the background bee level if you go right by the wall in the afternoon. They dont seem to wake up until atleast 2pm when it is warmest.

It is not a south facing wall and is in a hollow such that it never gets direct sun. It just has small cracks and holes around it so I would assume solitary bees.

apart from the sounth facing thing they sound more like masonry bees from that link- I think they have just hatched and are buzzing around trying to find new places to live. Hence why they love my building projects so much!

From what I can find on the internet limewashing the walls will put them off nesting there again. I was about to do this anyway!.
Will the limewash hurt them? Will they re-nest in there straight away or will they not come back until the end of the summer? I guess I should give that bit of wall a few weeks for them to clear off before i paint it.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 24, 2012

Dirty Needles
Jul 3, 2008
If you can, fill in some of the larger cracks or ones you've seen them using before you limewash, just to make it that little bit harder for them to return. If you leave it until they've largely cleared off before washing the wall then you should be fine.

You could try putting up one of those Bee Hotel things on or near the wall to try to encourage them to nest there in future.

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010
It's prime bee season! Where are all the apiarists?!

In other news, I have completed clearing a small plot on the waste ground beside some allotments in the hopes of putting one or two hives there, a few resident allotment holders where a bit wary, including one lady who didn't want them within 100 metres because she doesn't like being buzzed by insects (why the gently caress do you own an allotment then?!) which sadly took a lot of choice locations away.

It's a bit late in the year to expect anything productive out of them once they arrive, but you never know, the warm weather might hang on just that bit longer.

I'll have some pictures once the hives are on site!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Curious to know how the terrible weather has affected you guys this year. We don't seem to have had a proper summer here in the UK at all yet...

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
A 100m no-bee zone because she does not like to be buzzed by insects? If that was her reasoning you should have just offered to put up some type of 2m+ barrier in front of the bee line so they fly over her head no matter where she is.

I dunno, it may be prime bee season but not much to report. 4 hives going this year and having much better results than last year. One of them is a new split I made and it has been going crazy making 15 deep frames of wax and working on its 3rd medium honey super, wax and all. The other hives are doing well but won't put wax in the honey supers. Only two queen issues so far and one is sorted out while the other I am going to see if they can make their own queen. The nectar flow either just ended or is about to end for here so will see what happens during the summer dearth and then the fall flow.

I also made some stencils of my geckos so the bees could identify their hives better this year and make them a little more interesting to look at. I of course cannot prove they are helping, but drift seems to be down a lot from last year and all 3 hives are doing better then they were in this same location last year. That all could be coincidence though.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
New bee keeper here (well assistant actually). I met with the local association of bee keepers and I'm working with Henry on his four hives this season so I will be all set for next year. In Illinois summer has been here for a month, it is hot and sunny with rain only lasting a short time, but coming down in buckets.

Henry's hives are a bit of a task as he left them alone too long and ended up with lots of comb attached to the top board. We cut it away and "grafted" it with rubberbands into empty frames. It seems to have worked well enough.

Two of the hives are really under performing barely having filled a few frames with brood; while the other two have just been fitted with supers.

Updates and maybe pictures as the work progresses.

I also stumbled across this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjiePi0_Nh4

Yeti Fiasco
Aug 19, 2010

Nettle Soup posted:

Curious to know how the terrible weather has affected you guys this year. We don't seem to have had a proper summer here in the UK at all yet...

The lack of summer here has been terrible, the inconsistant weather has set every hive I know back by over a month, bee count is low and theres hardly any honey, they didn't start swarming till the end of may becasue of all the wet weather so all the new nucs still arn't ready for rehiving.

edit: are you making GBS threads me, beekeeping is illegal in LA?!

Yeti Fiasco fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Jun 23, 2012

nesbit37
Dec 12, 2003
Emperor of Rome
(500 BC - 500 AD)
The winter was good for the bees on the east coast. We were worried it would screw up the spring flow but that doesn't seem to have happened. Just take a look at this article on New York City bees to see what it has been like out here (I am in Philadelphia)

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/19/nyregion/honeybee-swarms-increase-in-nyc-after-mild-spring.html?_r=3&hp

ShotgunWillie
Aug 30, 2005

a sexy automaton -