Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Somebody in PI had a similar problem recently. Turned out the cat was allergic to something they'd given it. Have you given your cat anything new lately- toys, food, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

Long story short, I currently have a teeny, tiny little orange kitten that I'm taking care of. He's a little guy, about 4 weeks and 10 ounces. He's getting over some illnesses, and we're trying to make the process are pleasant as possible and hoping for a speedy recovery for him.

Two questions/problems, though.

One, how do we give the little guy a bath? He's still too young to really clean himself, and there's no mama-cat to do the dirty work for us. He's on a de-wormer at the moment, and has, what is probably best described as "chocolate sauce". Needless to say, the little dude needs a bath. What's the best way to go about this? Place him in the sink on a little mat and gently run some lukewarm water over his butt, tail and haunches?

Also, he needs to take some liquid medicine orally twice a day. Getting him to open his mouth was borderline impossible. Is there a trick? The vet made it look so easy.

john mayer
Jan 18, 2011

Cpaka posted:

Long story short, I currently have a teeny, tiny little orange kitten that I'm taking care of. He's a little guy, about 4 weeks and 10 ounces. He's getting over some illnesses, and we're trying to make the process are pleasant as possible and hoping for a speedy recovery for him.

Two questions/problems, though.

One, how do we give the little guy a bath? He's still too young to really clean himself, and there's no mama-cat to do the dirty work for us. He's on a de-wormer at the moment, and has, what is probably best described as "chocolate sauce". Needless to say, the little dude needs a bath. What's the best way to go about this? Place him in the sink on a little mat and gently run some lukewarm water over his butt, tail and haunches?

Also, he needs to take some liquid medicine orally twice a day. Getting him to open his mouth was borderline impossible. Is there a trick? The vet made it look so easy.

We have a cat that had a hard time with cleaning as a kitten. We mostly used wipes and wet paper towels to clean her up. The sink thing just ends in a lot of drama.

Arkham Angel
Jan 31, 2012

duckfarts posted:

Maybe cat acne? Try cleaning the food and water bowl and don't use plastic ones?

Guess it's time to get new cat dishes. Is stainless steel preferable?

Radio! posted:

Somebody in PI had a similar problem recently. Turned out the cat was allergic to something they'd given it. Have you given your cat anything new lately- toys, food, etc?

He's gotten a few new toys in the past week-a feather on string thing, crinkle balls and mice with and without catnip. How new is new for foods? All the food is stuff he's had before. Though he may be eating the fosters' kitten chow.

I did check the kittens for signs of skin issues in case it was ringworm but didn't see anything suspicious. I also checked for fleas when they came in-again didn't see any, and gave them a warm bath anyway just in case. Plus no one seems to be excessively itchy.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Arkham Angel posted:

Guess it's time to get new cat dishes. Is stainless steel preferable?

Either ceramic or stainless steel is good

Zinc Teeth
Jul 11, 2008

john mayer posted:

We have a cat that had a hard time with cleaning as a kitten. We mostly used wipes and wet paper towels to clean her up. The sink thing just ends in a lot of drama.

My cat has similar issues sometimes. I checked with my vet and he said unscented baby wipes are fine to use, which is great, because the "cat wipes" they sell at pets stores are like 8x the cost of baby wipes.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

Weird question here, hopefully the right spot.
We're looking at getting a second cat from the same rescue as both Asa and Elphy came from. She's a 2-month old kitten currently in a foster home, she's super friendly, active, cuddly, etc - awesome little cat.

Here's the situation: She came into rescue after someone dropped her off at the local pound at approximately 5 weeks old. She's fairly small, and had some pretty bad nutritional/digestive issues when they first took her in. The got all her bloodwork done, got her fixed up so her guts are in order, etc. She was also "adopted" by a mother cat with only 2 kittens, so she got to nurse, etc once her health came back clean.

My question: are there any long-term health effects/issues we should be on the lookout for/be aware of? Social issues from being "motherless" for give or take a week? She seems to be at roughly the same developmental stage as her "adopted" brother, has decent bite/claw inhibition (still definitely uses teeth, but its being worked on).

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the ramble!

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

Augh Theodore got into his bag of Indigo Moon while I was in class and ate basically everything left in it, which was at least two or three cups of food on top of his morning meal (I only feed him 2/3 a cup a day, for perspective). I can't find any cat gak in the house so I guess he kept it down - is there anything I should do? Maybe not feed him as much for awhile?

God he's a furry little gluttonous bastard. And I even bought him a new catnip toy on the way home only to find the empty bag next to the door. :sigh:

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
He's fine. Just call him names. Calling him a fatty fatty fat cat might make you feel less annoyed.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Dogen posted:

Either ceramic or stainless steel is good
This. I have one cat that kept getting black flakes on his chin (oh wait those are weird tiny scabs great) that got better, fast, after cleaning the bowls or changing them. I currently use a porcelain bowl and a metal bowl(probably stainless steel) for my cats, and no more cat acne problems.

Reene posted:

Augh Theodore got into his bag of Indigo Moon while I was in class and ate basically everything left in it, which was at least two or three cups of food on top of his morning meal (I only feed him 2/3 a cup a day, for perspective). I can't find any cat gak in the house so I guess he kept it down - is there anything I should do? Maybe not feed him as much for awhile?
Don't not feed him, but feel free to cut serving size a bit. Keep your food in a lockable hard plastic bin to him from raiding it.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
Still looking for collar recommendations. Catbro got out for like 4 hours and my dumbass roommates couldn't find him without his bells :/

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Eggplant Wizard posted:

He's fine. Just call him names. Calling him a fatty fatty fat cat might make you feel less annoyed.

Most of our fat cat's nicknames center around her being fat: Fattimus Maximus, Fattopotamus, Baby Fatso, Her Royal Fatness, etc. Somehow it makes cleaning up her cat yak from when she eats too fast because she's a big fat idiot less terrible.

She did have kitty anorexia that turned into fatty liver once, so maybe we should back off :(

duckfarts posted:

Don't not feed him, but feel free to cut serving size a bit. Keep your food in a lockable hard plastic bin to him from raiding it.

Yeah I highly recommend those giant plastic bins with the locking lid. Ours lives in the bottom of the pantry so the cats couldn't get at it anyway, but it's still a lot easier to deal with than a bag (and I assume it keeps the food fresher as well).

Duckie
Sep 12, 2010

This is sewious!
We got two of those bins at like, Walmart for about 10-15$ each. We have one for the dry food and one for the huge bags of litter so it doesn't spill all over the floor. They are nice, all sealed with rubber around the top, wheels on the bottom, and I think it does keep the food fresher, the cats seem to like the ends of the bag more than they used to.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
There's a stray mom cat outside my parent's house, and it had 2 kittens a few months ago. My dad's been feeding all three of them, and the 2 kittens don't generally leave the backyard. I want to adopt one of the kittens but I'm not sure how because I live 4 hours away from my parents, and they already have 2 cats in the house. What would be the best way to have the cat checked out and happy on the way back(or at least, not completely miserable)? It seems like it wouldn't be worth the effort of taking it into the vet beforehand and then inside my parent's house, where it would have to deal with 2 other cats before being moved again a few days later, but I also don't know how I feel about bringing a stray into my apartment without getting it checked out first...
It's probably the most adorable kitten I've ever seen in person:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
My cat is the son of a stray too. I got him from a shelter so he was all checked out, given shots, chipped and tattooed. He's a great cat, way less trouble than a lot of other cats.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
Ugh. I seem to have a cat problem. I have two cats: a 6-year-old girl, Voxel, and a 3.5-year-old boy, Erwin. I've had them both since they were kittens. Voxel's always been a little territorial, but when I brought Erwin home, it was maybe a week before they were sharing food, toys, and a litterbox without complaint.

I took Erwin to the vet yesterday morning and since he got back Voxel's been acting like I brought home an impostor. I'm not sure she's spent 10 minutes out of the last 24 hours not growling or hissing or trying to defend the food. She hisses at the mere sight of Erwin, and at me if my hands smell like him. This morning Erwin wouldn't use the litterbox after she'd been in it - was she marking it? - and she actually took a swipe at him when she saw him eating (no claws, yet).

Erwin's not backing off the way a new cat would - and why should he; he lives here and wants to hang out with his buddy! So Voxel seems to be getting worse. She gets too busy with growling and hissing when she sees him to even notice that I'm trying to give her a treat, so the whole 'reinforce good behavior' thing doesn't seem to be working out.

I feel like separating them would just create more territory issues, but on the other hand, I'm supposed to be going to an all-day event tomorrow and I'm not sure I even want to leave them alone together that long. What else can I do to reacclimate them to each other, besides use feliway? I don't think Voxel liked that stuff when I tried it before a long drive.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

Aradekasta posted:

Ugh. I seem to have a cat problem. I have two cats: a 6-year-old girl, Voxel, and a 3.5-year-old boy, Erwin. I've had them both since they were kittens. Voxel's always been a little territorial, but when I brought Erwin home, it was maybe a week before they were sharing food, toys, and a litterbox without complaint.

I took Erwin to the vet yesterday morning and since he got back Voxel's been acting like I brought home an impostor. I'm not sure she's spent 10 minutes out of the last 24 hours not growling or hissing or trying to defend the food. She hisses at the mere sight of Erwin, and at me if my hands smell like him. This morning Erwin wouldn't use the litterbox after she'd been in it - was she marking it? - and she actually took a swipe at him when she saw him eating (no claws, yet).

Erwin's not backing off the way a new cat would - and why should he; he lives here and wants to hang out with his buddy! So Voxel seems to be getting worse. She gets too busy with growling and hissing when she sees him to even notice that I'm trying to give her a treat, so the whole 'reinforce good behavior' thing doesn't seem to be working out.

I feel like separating them would just create more territory issues, but on the other hand, I'm supposed to be going to an all-day event tomorrow and I'm not sure I even want to leave them alone together that long. What else can I do to reacclimate them to each other, besides use feliway? I don't think Voxel liked that stuff when I tried it before a long drive.
Erwin smells funky now from going to the vet, Voxel's in what-the-gently caress mode right now. Try Feliway, give it some time.

Aradekasta
May 20, 2007
Sure, I realize that part - but Voxel's gone way past her usual what-the-gently caress reaction. This is more obnoxious than she was when a new kitten turned up.

divinemisscopa
May 21, 2008

Did somebody say MILKSHAKES?
I have a cat problem with one of my two shorthairs. Lucy is a 3.5 year old cat who was spayed a little later in life than usual (at about 3 years). Since being spayed she's put on a fair amount of weight. I think she weighed about 9 pounds before surgery and now weighs 14.

I don't know if it's on account of her weight gain but she's gotten really sloppy with grooming herself. Especially her butt. Most days she has bits of litter stuck in the fur around her backside and I've also caught her scooting along the carpet to rub her butt after she uses the litterbox. My first thought was worms, but we checked and she doesn't have worms.

She and our other cat, an adult 5 year old male, are fed a diet of Blue Buffalo Wilderness formula per the package serving-size recommendations for adult cats. We tried Blue Buffalo weight control for the cats but this resulted in Lucy getting severe diarrhea and leaving messes outside the litterbox. I have noticed Lucy getting aggressive near the food bowls at meal time toward our other cat, also.

I'm sort of at the end of my rope. Is this behavior indicative of a cat with weight problems? Can anyone offer some insight or suggestions?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
The package serving size recommendations on pet food are ridiculously high. Try cutting it back a bit.

DoggesAndCattes
Aug 2, 2007

I feel really bad for taking him away from his family, but here is a feral kitten I took home with me. His name is Whiskey, he's about two months old, and he's a little devil. I've never had a pet before, so this is an entirely new experience for me. I've been reading this thread and the pet nutrition thread and found some helpful advice. Plus my girlfriend has been more than generous to help me care for him.

He's been a really cool cat though when he gets stimulated he likes to bite a lot and run around. We're using toys and other methods we've found in hopes of teaching him not to bite to hard. He eats about can of wet cat food a day. He's been using the litterbox really well except for last night when he peed on the bed. The girlfriend was able to put him in the litterbox before he finished. I have no idea why he did that other than he's just a little kitty that doesn't know better, but I'm keeping more of an eye on him to make sure he doesn't pee elsewhere.

I'll be moving into a new place next month with the girlfriend, and she'll be bringing her four year old female cat Miku. Hopefully, we can get them to live with each other without too much difficulty.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

That is the cutest god-damned cat I have ever seen.

Yeah just keep an eye out, if he pees elsewhere again it could be medical, but in his situation a little stress based inappropriate peeing isn't unusual.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
That is a young-rear end cat. I would say no more than 6 weeks old and possibly as little as 4 weeks. :\ (herp a derp derp you already said he's around 2 months. He looks a littler younger based on his eye color but okay.) It's good that he will be living with another cat soon because she will hopefully help him learn to do cat things. You should get him checked out by a vet before he meets your girlfriend's cat, however. Feral kittens can be born with diseases their mothers have, like FIV for example, and you need to know if he's got any of them.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 18:13 on May 21, 2012

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

That is a young-rear end cat. I would say no more than 6 weeks old and possibly as little as 4 weeks. :\ (herp a derp derp you already said he's around 2 months. He looks a littler younger based on his eye color but okay.) It's good that he will be living with another cat soon because she will hopefully help him learn to do cat things. You should get him checked out by a vet before he meets your girlfriend's cat, however. Feral kittens can be born with diseases their mothers have, like FIV for example, and you need to know if he's got any of them.

No, you're right, he does not look 8 weeks old. That cat is a tiny baby.

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

Oh hey, another new kitten post!

On May 10th, my fiancee's coworker found a kitten on his doorstep. We agreed to take him in because we're both giant suckers and hate sleeping at night.

Here's Oliver the first night we had him, napping with a hot water bottle momma.

The next morning, we took him to the vet to get a baseline. Around 4 weeks old, and weighing 9 ounces. He had mange, an upper respiratory infection (probably because of the mange), and a goopy, swollen left eye. Oh, and intestinal parasites. Off to a good start, little dude!

He got oral Ivermectin for the mange, Clavomox for the URI, and Terramycin for his eye.

That evening, he had what we think was a reaction to the Ivermectin. He started having severe ataxia, and became aggressive, mewing erratically and wasn't eating. Off to the emergency vet. Fun way to spend a Friday evening.

They pumped him full of fluids and monitored him over the weekend. We picked up the little guy on Monday. As a parting gift and memento of our trip, they gave us a jar of the roundworms that he passed.

I'm not sure when I will be able to eat rice noodles again.

This past Friday, dropped him for an overnight at our local vet for a follow-up, and so she could give him another treatment for the mange, but a topical this time. She did a few skin scrapings and found no live mites or eggs. No mange, no worms, no boogery sneezes, but the eye is still in not-great shape. Three out of four ain't too bad for now. He looks like hell though, because he's shedding a lot of dead skin and fur as a result of the mange mites dying off. Currently, he's sporting a teenager-style wispy, patchy complement of facial hair.

Here's our little dude this past weekend. Romping around outside of his cardboard kitten ghetto where he spends most of his time until he gets a little sturdier and bigger.

Also, it's amazing how much he eats, and subsequently, poops. We've been giving him kitten-formula wet food, one 3oz can per day, broken up into feedings every 4 hours. He absolutely devours the food, and then looks expectantly at you, wanting more. Even the vet said that he loves to eat.

Frankly, I'm a little concerned. Is this normal for him to eat that much? I know he's a little undersized for his age and has some catching up to do, but drat. He does love to play though and has full-on zoomies for a good two hours between every mealtime. Oh, and he's still occasionally pooping on his haunches, and traipsing through his own poop while trying valiantly to bury it. A+ for effort on his part though.

Cpaka fucked around with this message at 22:07 on May 21, 2012

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
He's a growing boy. Let him eat whatever he wants till he's big or until he starts barfing it up.

I like his squinty ugly little face. Gremlincat.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Edit:^^^ Agreed

Look at that fat little belly! From my experiences with stray kittens is that they always want food and will beg as much as they can, it doesn't seem abnormal to me. Wait until he learns to climb up your leg while you are opening up the food. Kittens are assholes, but adorable ones.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Look at that Catte. I want that Catte. Give him to me immediately. :3:

You should name him Gremlin, or maybe like Wizard said, and call him Gremlincat. :3:

Cpaka
Jun 6, 2007

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Edit:^^^ Agreed

Look at that fat little belly! From my experiences with stray kittens is that they always want food and will beg as much as they can, it doesn't seem abnormal to me. Wait until he learns to climb up your leg while you are opening up the food. Kittens are assholes, but adorable ones.
After he eats, his current favorite thing to do is roll over onto his back and proudly display his fat belly so that you can scratch his sides while he purrs himself to sleep.

He's already climbing legs and backs. Fortunately, he's still a little too small to get out of his enclosure we built in the hallway, which is where he spends his days while we're at work.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Cpaka posted:

After he eats, his current favorite thing to do is roll over onto his back and proudly display his fat belly so that you can scratch his sides while he purrs himself to sleep.

Careful with that, it may turn into a painful trap later. I call it the belly of doom. I always know it will end bad for my arm, but I cannot resist touching it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Some cats looove belly rubs. Starting him early is a good idea because then when he is big and fluffier and not so mangy you can put your face in it and go wubble wubble wubble :xd: kitty belly best thing

eta: gonna rub my kitten's belly now wish me luck

edit: Result- too curled up for appropriate level of rubbing, switched to neck. She woke up and now it's bath time I guess.

Drink and Fight
Feb 2, 2003

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Some cats looove belly rubs. Starting him early is a good idea because then when he is big and fluffier and not so mangy you can put your face in it and go wubble wubble wubble :xd: kitty belly best thing

eta: gonna rub my kitten's belly now wish me luck

I can motorboat all four of my cats. :smug:

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
So. Introduction follies - new cat meows very sadly to get out of the isolation chamber, but it is only day 2. We've been spending loads of time with new cat and he has a window to look out and his own supply of drugs but man he seems horribly unhappy being restricted in there.

What to do?

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Ye Worse User-name posted:

So. Introduction follies - new cat meows very sadly to get out of the isolation chamber, but it is only day 2. We've been spending loads of time with new cat and he has a window to look out and his own supply of drugs but man he seems horribly unhappy being restricted in there.

What to do?

Just let them meet, unless othercat is peeing and crying and hiding as it is. See how it goes.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER

Eggplant Wizard posted:

Just let them meet, unless othercat is peeing and crying and hiding as it is. See how it goes.

Incumbent cat, who is dumb as a box of hair, occasionally figures out that there is probably another cat in there and meows back through the door. They've played paws back and forth a couple times. Letting the new cat out is what I keep being tempted to do but I keep hearing how important patience is. :ohdear:

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Eggplant Wizard posted:

My friend Toni, had a cat that absolutely adored belly rubs, until she decided to lay her face down on it and give it a raspberry.......needless to say she still has scars on her face from that incident. It's a trap!

Edit to explain what a raspberry is, as it may be a regional term (not sure):

quote:

"when you blow directly on someone's bare skin resulting in a tickling sensation for the other person and makes a 'farting' sound, usually done on ones stomache"
It's from Urban Dictionary, not the most reliable source but it describes what I mean.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:39 on May 22, 2012

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Incumbent cat, who is dumb as a box of hair, occasionally figures out that there is probably another cat in there and meows back through the door. They've played paws back and forth a couple times. Letting the new cat out is what I keep being tempted to do but I keep hearing how important patience is. :ohdear:
There are stages to introducing animals to one another. Those stages can take a few minutes or a few months. The latter is where patience is required. Ultimately you're going to have to judge how your cats are acting and speed up or slow down the process accordingly. Basically there is no set time schedule.

For reference, my dumb as a box of hair cat was the resident feline when I brought home a friend for him. His adjustment time? Roughly how long it took him to figure out that there was a cat in the box I had. The new cat was guided around the apartment from the moment he popped out of his carrier and then treated to a bath a few hours later. Some cats are really just super excited to have a buddy.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

Yeah so I think I wrote the introduction guidelines in the OP but I have never once followed them. I usually just put the cats together and follow their lead. If it gets ugly, I separate them. If not, cool, they'll figure out how to be friends in time, or they'll simply tolerate each other, or whatever, don't care, up to them. It sounds like they're both amenable to the idea of each other's existence, so give it a go.

eta: I just looked at the instructions I gave and I did say that the separation stage can last as little as a few hours. In practice I do not think I've actually given it that long unless I was moving into a new place too so uh, yeah. It really doesn't have to be a Whole Thing.

Eggplant Wizard fucked around with this message at 04:02 on May 22, 2012

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Eeeeeee! So many cutie-pie kittens!

Also remember I mentioned before how I've had issues with my cat competing with my laptop for my affections? Well, I got a new laptop yesterday in the mail - a big powerful custom job that is by far the nicest and most expensive material posession I have ever owned... And it is driving my cat CRAZY! She just knows I am currently more interested in it than her and the second I ever try to use it she is jumping all over my lap and even my shoulders and head and purring at high volume while mrrrrowing and practically yowling when I try to carefully place her away or just shove her off to the side. I am typing this one-handed because the only way to use the laptop and keep her calm is let her in my lap and constantly pet her with one hand while I compute with the other.

I know this is a knee-jerk reaction and things will calm down but I almost find it hilarious that she instinctively KNOWS that this new object is going to draw away some of the precious attention she gets from me. And I give my cat a LOT of attention, seriously - which is probably part of the problem, come to think. Oh well, I lurv my cat so we'll work it out :3: Maybe I can bribe her with some new kitty toys and some extra treats this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte
Here's an idea for that ;)