Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Gravy Jones posted:

I should reiterate that it this wouldn't be about coming up with a "good" idea, just a dumb idea that we can deadpan enough to get taken vaguely seriously and not deleted out of hand for being an obvious joke. (aside from all that I agree with everything you're saying).

Got a "go for it" from an admin so I'm game. Anyone got any idea that fit or want to try their hand at a Lowtax minifigure? Also any other "internet famous" minifigures welcome... I'm thinking Gabe Newell, Kevin Smith, Tim Buckley, Penny Arcade Guys? anyone with on online presence and an ego.

Or, like I said, a better bad idea would be welcome (no grenades, no goatse)

Zuckerburg, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates. They're not exactly just "internet" famous but having lowtax mixed in with billion dollar ceo's would be hysterical. Maybe a bit too obvious though. Even though he's mainly an actor you could add Ashton Kutcher.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
I found a good candidate for ironic Cuuuusssooo support

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17399

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Looked up Lex, and it's the existing Luthor head on a tuxedo body. That's pretty weak. :(

Nope that's the one that came with the power armor set. The preorder one is him with the traditional armor that he wears when fighting superman.

http://m.gamestop.com/Catalog/Product/98903

LordEvilElmo
Feb 8, 2004

The box... Says no

Luminaflare posted:

My Batmobile arrived, thanks LordEvilElmo it's really awesome.

Glad to hear it :)

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Found a couple seriously good ones.

The Muppets

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/11050

Kids and adults love it, and Disney owns the Muppets and Lego's done a bunch of Disney licenses so I see no reason the license should be a problem.

Top Gear Amphibious Car Challenge

http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/16839

I'm not wild about the models he made but I love the idea of making sets of some of the crazy builds from the show. Bonus points for his Hammond. All it needs is a Stigfig.

Cockblocktopus
Apr 18, 2009

Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.

Gravy Jones posted:

Also any other "internet famous" minifigures welcome... I'm thinking Gabe Newell, Kevin Smith, Tim Buckley, Penny Arcade Guys? anyone with on online presence and an ego.

I was going to say Adam Savage (not so much because of the ego as much as he's a giant nerd who likes Lego and has a large online presence), but then I realized that a Mythbusters LEGO theme would actually be pretty cool. You could do a generic laboratory set with the entire team, then just the most absurd Lego sets this side of Ninjago built to fall apart.

Roger Ebert, Notch, Scott Kurtz, George Takei, William Shatner?

Comedy option: Ron Paul. Better yet, something like that 100-Stormtrooper thing, except one Ron Paul and a hundred gold bars.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

Gravy Jones posted:

Gabe Newell, Kevin Smith
There is not enough ABS plastic in all the world, my dear Gravy.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Some neat sets:

Japanese modular: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/53
Hindenberg: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/9192

Licensed planes is a neat idea for a theme, although the execution is lacking: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/17598

That stupid dark SW bucket is going to get 10k: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/2674

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

smackfu posted:

That stupid dark SW bucket is going to get 10k: http://lego.cuusoo.com/ideas/view/2674

I want them to make this and price it realistically just to illustrate how stupid it is.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx
Saw this today.

http://blog.sfgate.com/crime/2012/05/22/silicon-valley-exec-charged-with-lego-thefts/

Not sure what to think of it.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I want them to make this and price it realistically just to illustrate how stupid it is.

In Lego's official comments, they've already stated that they can't release this as is because they don't have an action figure license from Lucas Arts, and then they go on to say that even if they did, this would be really expensive and only appeal to a limited market.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Isn't the estimated cost of that thing like 400 dollars?

There's no way in hell I'd ever buy it for myself or my future children. That's just obsurd.

In other news, I picked up this book http://www.amazon.com/The-LEGO-Book-Daniel-Lipkowitz/dp/0756656230/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1337970996&sr=8-2

It's pretty awesome and I've been enjoying flipping through it. The pictures of the older sets really brought back some memories. There's also a book on AFOL and Lego culture that looks cool, I'll probably get that at some point.

Also, going to build this over the long holiday weekend. I'm super excited.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

Boondock Saint posted:

It's pretty awesome and I've been enjoying flipping through it. The pictures of the older sets really brought back some memories. There's also a book on AFOL and Lego culture that looks cool, I'll probably get that at some point.

If you're talking about The Cult of LEGO, I have it and it's awesome.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Mr. Glass posted:

If you're talking about The Cult of LEGO, I have it and it's awesome.

I am...and gently caress. Payday cannot come fast enough.

I have to loudly announce I bought it though, my dad saw me buying the other book and went :smith:. Apparently that was what he was going to get me for my birthday in a few months...for his 25 year old son. I love my dad. He has model trains from when he was a kid and still collects, so he completely understands why I love Lego so much even though I still get the occasional "You collect toys?" glance from people when they see some of the models on my bookcase at home.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
So I went to pick up a Gandalf Arrives in honor of Sir Ian McKellen's birthday. They convinced me I wanted the limited edition Hulk, so I also got Shelob, the Wolverine Helicopter, and successfully (first time I've been able to do this!) felt up a Space Marine and Programmer. Good day for Legoin'!

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

How is this not in the discussion?

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Back from the Bellevue Lego store. Wasn't expecting so much new stuff to be in.
The City Mining series is out, as is Monster Fighters. I picked up:
Monster Fighters 9461, The Swamp Creature
Monster Fighters 9462, The Mummy
Monster Fighters 9464, The Vampyre Hearse
LotR 9469, Gandalf Arrives
LotR 9470, Shelob Attacks
Marvel 6866, Wolverine's Chopper Showdown
and Kingdoms Chess

Plus a large PAB cup--they had 2x3 dark purple plates and 2x2 round bricks in trans light blue (just a cup left, and I took half).

I was planning on just getting some LotR and Heroes sets, but damned store was out to get me. I'm hoping Fred Meyer or TRU has some good sales soon; there's too much out there I want.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Imagine four 1x1 round solid studs on the edge of a cliff

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

:drat: I was trying to avoid obvious memes that were played out, but Johnny is timeless.

youareoffthehook
Mar 24, 2008

On a scale of one to ten, I think that's an awesome!

Pyroclastic posted:

Back from the Bellevue Lego store. Wasn't expecting so much new stuff to be in.
The City Mining series is out, as is Monster Fighters. I picked up:
Monster Fighters 9461, The Swamp Creature
Monster Fighters 9462, The Mummy
Monster Fighters 9464, The Vampyre Hearse
LotR 9469, Gandalf Arrives
LotR 9470, Shelob Attacks
Marvel 6866, Wolverine's Chopper Showdown
and Kingdoms Chess

Plus a large PAB cup--they had 2x3 dark purple plates and 2x2 round bricks in trans light blue (just a cup left, and I took half).

I was planning on just getting some LotR and Heroes sets, but damned store was out to get me. I'm hoping Fred Meyer or TRU has some good sales soon; there's too much out there I want.

Next time you're in, say hi! I was definitely working.

Ville Valo
Sep 17, 2004

I'm waiting for your call
and I'm ready to take
your six six six
in my heart
It sounds like Shelob Attacks and Gandalf Arrives are gonna be massive hits, everyone's picking those two up. They're the perfect size/price point for this license. I really, really hope they do a Bag End at less than $50 in the next wave.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love
I just hope they don't recycle a spider set when they release The Hobbit theme.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Yeah Shelob Attacks is cool. The spider looks great, and was a pretty fun build besides the repeating legs, and three minifigs are well-done.

But my favorite recent build is the Vampire Hearse. Man I love this thing. Everything about it is awesome. The car, the minifigs, even the silly action-catapult thing is neat.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Gravy Jones posted:

I should reiterate that it this wouldn't be about coming up with a "good" idea, just a dumb idea that we can deadpan enough to get taken vaguely seriously and not deleted out of hand for being an obvious joke. (aside from all that I agree with everything you're saying).

Got a "go for it" from an admin so I'm game. Anyone got any idea that fit or want to try their hand at a Lowtax minifigure? Also any other "internet famous" minifigures welcome... I'm thinking Gabe Newell, Kevin Smith, Tim Buckley, Penny Arcade Guys? anyone with on online presence and an ego.

Or, like I said, a better bad idea would be welcome (no grenades, no goatse)

A Penny Arcade Lego set would be HUGE. They could sell them at PAX as well! Plus being attached to Penny Arcade, who have done frankly stunning amounts of charity over the years is good, too.

For an SA set, how about a boxing ring with Lowtax and Uwe Boll? They've even got official boxing gloves now!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

youareoffthehook posted:

Next time you're in, say hi! I was definitely working.

You don't have PMs, would you mind if I emailed you to ask for a favor? My email is in my profile.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Why cookie Rocket posted:

Looked up Lex, and it's the existing Luthor head on a tuxedo body. That's pretty weak. :(

The tuxedo body is the one that comes in the power armor set with Supes and Wonder Woman. The one GameStop is giving away is this:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I didnt realize that was also the space marine collar.

Kilo147
Apr 14, 2007

You remind me of the boss
What boss?
The boss with the power
What power?
The power of voodoo
Who-doo?
You do.
Do what?
Remind me of the Boss.

Captain Invictus posted:

A Penny Arcade Lego set would be HUGE. They could sell them at PAX as well! Plus being attached to Penny Arcade, who have done frankly stunning amounts of charity over the years is good, too.

just make Lego ENFORCER shirts, include Utilikilt options and a red Mohawk.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

The Rage posted:

The tuxedo body is the one that comes in the power armor set with Supes and Wonder Woman. The one GameStop is giving away is this:

Nice toilet seat gun there Lex.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Captain Invictus posted:

The only obstacle would be somehow pitching a Penny Arcade-theme Cuusoo set without Lego Group ever finding out what Penny Arcade actually is. Or listening to any words out of Mike Krahulik's mouth, ever.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saint Sputnik posted:

Nice toilet seat gun there Lex.

You use some weird fetishized toilets, man.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Gabriel Pope posted:

The only obstacle would be somehow pitching a Penny Arcade-theme Cuusoo set without Lego Group ever finding out what Penny Arcade actually is. Or listening to any words out of Mike Krahulik's mouth, ever.

Gabe's Twitter Throne playset. :v

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Captain Invictus posted:

You use some weird fetishized toilets, man.

I see that green piece used in toilet MOCs so often that's all I can see it as.

Actually it's used in official sets too:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/benlego/5691208540/

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

The Rage posted:

That's pretty cool looking. They have them right there at GameStop? I wonder what the minimum pre-order you have to plunk down is to walk out with one.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Saint Sputnik posted:

I see that green piece used in toilet MOCs so often that's all I can see it as.
Whoosh!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Yes that's the sound a toilet makes when you flush it :confused:

Yes I see what you're getting at

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Continuing in the "tiny scale" saga to go with my super star destroyer:

e: This dude's star wars minis make me feel sad and pathetic. :saddowns:

mynnna fucked around with this message at 08:04 on May 26, 2012

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

I was just going to throw out my big Lego shopping bag, and felt something rattling around in there. It appears the clerk sneakily threw in a minifig from the build-a-fig kiosk along with my Hulk. :)

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Regarding the internet minifigs idea, I'd like to see one of Tourette's Guy.

Unrelated, I totally wish there was a line of MST3K lego.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Goons, due to a cash flow problem, I am teetering on the edge of selling my collection. Millenium Falcon, X Wing, Battle of Endor, Police Boat, Fire Helicopter, Lego Truck, small police sets and assorted minifigs, random box of lego. Tell me why I shouldn't do it.