Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

gariig posted:

What are you trying to do and in what counties?

All counties statewide. I'm trying to obtain records of the sales of agricultural lands for use in a hedonic land price model (the more years, the better but even 5 years should give me a large enough sample size). To make the model work, I need the acreage of the land, an address (or even better, a shape file containing polygons for the plots sold), the selling price, etc. The more data I can obtain, the better my model results should be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

FCKGW posted:

Seems that the Callery pear tree is a crummy tree with it's shallow root system. We get some high winds in this area so I may look at something else for around the house.

:eng101: (Non-fruiting) pear trees used to be hugely popular (poplar :rimshot:) street trees, but they are falling out of favour due to:
pear blight
shallow roots
people finding better street trees for similar situations
funky smell in the spring

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

alnilam posted:

:eng101: (Non-fruiting) pear trees used to be hugely popular (poplar :rimshot:) street trees, but they are falling out of favour due to:

They smell like :gizz:, don't get one.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
What is the exact definition of a government official? Does it mean a bureaucrat who makes administrative decisions? Would a congressman count as an official, even if all they do is debate laws?

Randomity
Feb 25, 2007

Careful what you wish,
You may regret it!

FCKGW posted:

That looks about right, thanks for the info!
Seems that the Callery pear tree is a crummy tree with it's shallow root system. We get some high winds in this area so I may look at something else for around the house.

Bradford pears (aka "cum trees") are super popular where I live and every time we have a thunderstorm or snowfall or ice storm they lose more branches and get knocked over more frequently than any other tree.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.

Baron Bifford posted:

What is the exact definition of a government official? Does it mean a bureaucrat who makes administrative decisions? Would a congressman count as an official, even if all they do is debate laws?

It does generally refer to an administrative official, not someone in the legislature.

spregalia posted:

All counties statewide. I'm trying to obtain records of the sales of agricultural lands for use in a hedonic land price model (the more years, the better but even 5 years should give me a large enough sample size). To make the model work, I need the acreage of the land, an address (or even better, a shape file containing polygons for the plots sold), the selling price, etc. The more data I can obtain, the better my model results should be.

If you live in CA, I'd try going in person to one of the offices and see if they can help you out, or at least send an email explaining what you're trying to do. Secondly, especially with real estate, I wouldn't be suprised if there was a private company somewhere keeping records of what you're after. They might not be complete, but I bet you could get a good sample size. If you're an academic, maybe try asking real estate companies if they'd be willing to share such data?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

spregalia posted:

The county clerk won't have this information but you can try the county appraiser, or you might have to combine the two. The county clerk is only going to record documents about land and generally only captures names. The county appraiser generally has more information about the land like the size. However, combining the clerk documents with county appraiser information can be difficult. However, I would start with the county appraiser and see if you can get data.

gariig fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Jun 13, 2012

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

alnilam posted:

pear blight
shallow roots
people finding better street trees for similar situations

What types of trees do you guys recommend then? We're looking for a smaller tree for the front of the house and a larger one for the rear. The sycamore one looks fine for our needs in the backyard, but what do you think would look nice in the front?

I live in an area of SoCal that frequently gets 60+mph winds and gets pretty hot (100+) during the summer.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
I'm in Italy this summer (and normally in Missouri). Appraised values are actually pretty easy to find, however, appraised value is relatively worthless (it typically ignores many amenities that would, in theory, show up in market prices).

I've done more digging and it looks like displaying the actual sale price on the internet, while a public record, is against CA law. I've contacted a few to see if sending me the electronic copies (which will not be displayed on the internet) in legit. Fingers crossed if this can go anywhere.

I've also reached out to a few private companies that track this data to see if any can supply me with it, hopefully one will.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Hell of a book. It's about bunnies!

FCKGW posted:

What types of trees do you guys recommend then? We're looking for a smaller tree for the front of the house and a larger one for the rear. The sycamore one looks fine for our needs in the backyard, but what do you think would look nice in the front?

I live in an area of SoCal that frequently gets 60+mph winds and gets pretty hot (100+) during the summer.

Take a look at Australian Willow, Fern Pine, or Chitalpa. They're all low-water/drought-resistant, can handle a wide range of temperatures, stay fairly compact, and are often used in Southern California as street trees.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
I have questions about audiobooks: how much space do you usually need on an MP3 player for an average one, and where exactly would you get them in an MP3 format?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Farecoal posted:

I have questions about audiobooks: how much space do you usually need on an MP3 player for an average one, and where exactly would you get them in an MP3 format?

I think audible.com carries them, though I couldn't say if they were in MP3 format. As for size, my 128kbps copy of Deathly Hallows comes in at 900mb of MP3s, but this was ripped from a hard copy. That being a large book, you can expect most books to be smaller. Also, sound quality matters: My 64kbps version of Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone is 235MB, whereas my 160kbps of American Psycho is 1.2GB. Still, well within the range of any modern MP3 player.

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

You might also want to head on over to the Audiobook thread in Book Barn.

Ben Davis
Apr 17, 2003

I'm as clumsy as I am beautiful

Very Strange Things posted:

Oh. That's usually called the "coping" (which is also why the material on the lip of a skateboard half-pipe is called that).
Googling coping repair might net you some better advice.
Thanks so much!

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Is there a way to transition a Facebook profile page for an author/famous person that let's you keep all of your 'friends' as 'fans'? It seems like what they want you to do is set up an organization page and request all your friends 'like' that but that would end up losing some of the users in the transition. It's for a friend who thinks as a "computer guy" I know anything about Facebook, but I really don't.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

FCKGW posted:

There's a gardening thread in DIY that might be useful. I'm not shutting you down in here, just suggesting another place to ask :)

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Why do many hotels have the lightswitch for the bathroom outside the bathroom?

Noni
Jul 8, 2003
ASK ME ABOUT DEFRAUDING GOONS WITH HOT DOGS AND HOW I BANNED EPIC HAMCAT

Farecoal posted:

Wherever you get them, there are several audiobook cutters and plugins that will break up an mp3 into smaller files, usually during silences. I mention this because trouble with bookmarking the middle of a 2 hour mp3 is a common hurdle for new audiobook listeners. Come to think of it, audiobook cutter is actually the name of one such program.

Secondly, you might use audacity to change everything to mono so you can save space. I also like to fiddle with the equalizer so that everything sounds deep and profound like RadioLab.

Librivox has free poo poo. If you want to give them a shot, try to opt for solo projects, rather than group ones. Otherwise, you might have the problem of getting 8 hours into Moby Dick and then a dude with a thick accent and nasally, ear-inflaming voice will read for a few chapters and make you totally lost and annoyed.

However, some of the librivox volunteers have such silky voices that you'll find yourself listening to stupid, boring books just because they read them.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

JustFrakkingDoIt posted:

Is there a way to transition a Facebook profile page for an author/famous person that let's you keep all of your 'friends' as 'fans'? It seems like what they want you to do is set up an organization page and request all your friends 'like' that but that would end up losing some of the users in the transition. It's for a friend who thinks as a "computer guy" I know anything about Facebook, but I really don't.
I'd be surprised. Think of it from the friends' perspective. Would you be happy if you were automatically made a "fan" of something without informing you? That's leaving alone someone converting their personal page into a fanpage for "buttfucking" or something.

Hoops fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Jun 14, 2012

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

There was a quote, I think it was from SA, and it was about running slowly.

I think it started with "Today, I ran two miles slowly" or it might have been one mile. I don't know. I'm trying to find it for my girlfriend, who has just started going to the gym.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlphaDog posted:

There was a quote, I think it was from SA, and it was about running slowly.

I think it started with "Today, I ran two miles slowly" or it might have been one mile. I don't know. I'm trying to find it for my girlfriend, who has just started going to the gym.

Ravel posted:

From the OP of a thread in W&W

somebody posted:

I run slow

I work in the social services, and a lot of the people we work with have a lot of regrets. I've asked our case managers to have their clients come out and watch me run. I run so slow, time run backwards. As I waddle along, your life runs in reverse. Scars becomes wounds become chances to exercise better judgement. I run slow.

Like most people, I enjoy running in the mornings, before it gets to hot. Unlike most people, I've been pushed over by a squirrel.

I run slow. Sometimes when I am running, I think of those zen fountains that absorb a drip drip drip of water down a bamboo tube before finally tipping over and dumping their contents into a pool. Each step I take is another drip. I think, that fountain would call me a pussy.

I run slow. But I know where I have been.

Six months ago, I didn't run.

Six months ago, I had heartburn bad enough to keep me from sleeping through the night. Six months ago, I felt like I needed to go to sleep at 2pm. And six months ago, running felt impossible.

I run slow, and I have ways to go. But I can sleep. I feel alive. I can run two, slow, miles. Slowly.

Sometimes I get discouraged. I compare where I am to where other people are. But all that matters is where I am compared to where I was.

Once something good becomes something you are going to do for the rest of your life, the pace becomes less important. I know that my drip drip drip will amount to that deluge, eventually. Someday I will run 3 miles, slowly.

I put a linkback to the quote thread for some reason.

And Hoops, that makes sense about the facebook thing. I let her know and she's not too disappointed.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

hooah posted:

Why do many hotels have the lightswitch for the bathroom outside the bathroom?

Because people staying in hotels tend to take very long, very hot showers because they are not paying fo rhte how water, and light switches (more than regular outlets) tend to wear out quicker in hot humid environments due to corrosion of the switch.

Also, light switches in Hawaii tend to wear out quicker because hot humid plus salty.

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-

kapalama posted:

Because people staying in hotels tend to take very long, very hot showers because they are not paying fo rhte how water, and light switches (more than regular outlets) tend to wear out quicker in hot humid environments due to corrosion of the switch.

Also, light switches in Hawaii tend to wear out quicker because hot humid plus salty.

I always thought it was because they almost never have natural lighting and it's a throwback to a bellhop showing you where the switches are.

Your answer makes more sense, from a fiscal point of view.

Yggdrassil
Mar 11, 2012

RAKANISHU!
I have a stupid question Goonies! Im trying to fix a problem that my girlfriend is having. Her computer's keyboard activates caps lock whenever she presses the Tab key. How can we fix this? :(

MrGreenShirt
Mar 14, 2005

Could it be a keyboard mapping issue? Alternatively, does your girlfriend have huge kielbasa sausage fingers?

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Yggdrassil posted:

I have a stupid question Goonies! Im trying to fix a problem that my girlfriend is having. Her computer's keyboard activates caps lock whenever she presses the Tab key. How can we fix this? :(

Could be a mapping issue. Try a different keyboard. If the problem persists, it's software.

Is more likely to be a hosed switch or something caught under there (eeeew) so that when she presses tab is also "presses" capslock.

Try cleaning the keyboard? If that doesn't work, pop the keycaps off and have a look (assuming it's a keyboard where you can do that, gently caress if I know what you've got).

If none of the above work, keyboards are as cheap as $8 at some places, even in Australia. Hell, a Microsoft basic keyboard/mouse combo is around $20.

Edit: There are several ways to clean a keyboard. I'd either use a dry toothbrush and gently brush between the keys, or fold a piece of sticky tape in half so it's sticky on both sides and run that between the keys (yuck). You can even just turn the keyboard upside down and shake the hell out of it though, that might work.

If you want a nice keyboard, countless options exist: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3189022 I bought a Leopold Cherry Black, and although I had a small panic attack over spending $100 on a loving keyboard, it's been really really worth it.

Thanks!

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jun 14, 2012

when worlds collide
Mar 7, 2007

my feet firmly planted
on what, I do not know

AlphaDog posted:

Could be a mapping issue. Try a different keyboard. If the problem persists, it's software.

Is more likely to be a hosed switch or something caught under there (eeeew) so that when she presses tab is also "presses" capslock.

Try cleaning the keyboard? If that doesn't work, pop the keycaps off and have a look (assuming it's a keyboard where you can do that, gently caress if I know what you've got).

If none of the above work, keyboards are as cheap as $8 at some places, even in Australia. Hell, a Microsoft basic keyboard/mouse combo is around $20.

Edit: There are several ways to clean a keyboard. I'd either use a dry toothbrush and gently brush between the keys, or fold a piece of sticky tape in half so it's sticky on both sides and run that between the keys (yuck). You can even just turn the keyboard upside down and shake the hell out of it though, that might work.

If you want a nice keyboard, countless options exist: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3189022 I bought a Leopold Cherry Black, and although I had a small panic attack over spending $100 on a loving keyboard, it's been really really worth it.

Thanks!

Canned air, too. That's how I clean my laptop keyboard, and I gotta admit, it's kinda fun to see all the bits fly out.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

I always thought it was because they almost never have natural lighting and it's a throwback to a bellhop showing you where the switches are.

Your answer makes more sense, from a fiscal point of view.

It's actually so that the guests can turn on the light before they enter the bathroom.

That way they avoid having to go into a dark room and flail about, trying to find a light switch; which is both scary and potentially dangerous.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

when worlds collide posted:

Canned air, too. That's how I clean my laptop keyboard, and I gotta admit, it's kinda fun to see all the bits fly out.

Canned air actually lifted some of my laptop keys to the point where they don't pop back down again properly. Then again, my laptop is from 2003, and wasn't that great to begin with.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

spog posted:

It's actually so that the guests can turn on the light before they enter the bathroom.

That way they avoid having to go into a dark room and flail about, trying to find a light switch; which is both scary and potentially dangerous.

I presume this + slightly less chance of short circuit/electrocution from damp environment is why many older houses also do the light switch outside the bathroom thing. When I was a kid, both of my grandparents' houses were built in the 20s or 30s, and the switch for the lights was always outside the bathrooms in the house.

One of the bathrooms didn't even have outlets inside it, and the lights weren't even changeable from inside either! You had to go into a small closest that ran along the back of the bathroom in order to change the lighting from behind. If you tried taking a bulb out from within the bathroom, you wouldn't be able to get through the sealed glass/plastic cover over the light. I assume that whoever was building that bathroom wanted to take all precautions against getting zapped in the bathroom!

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

OneEightHundred posted:

This begs the question of why planes have seatbelts then.

Saw this article and reminded me of this.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/13/travel/united-turbulence-flight-diversion/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
I don't want to start a whole thread on this in The Goon Doctor, so here are a few questions I have about an upcoming doctor's visit:

I have to get it for work, though to be fair I could use one anyway (it's been ~7 years since my last "physical," though I've had a couple urgent-care/ER visits in that time.)

One of the big things I need for work (because I'm a contractor that works in literally dozens of hospitals,) is either boosters for several vaccinations, or titers proving I'm up to date. I assume I should call in advance to let them know this, right? I mean...they might not have all the boosters I need on hand. And should I just not bother with the titers, since I'm pretty sure I could use a booster for everything on the list, since I haven't had any vaccinations since I was in high school (I'm 29 now)?

FTR, here's what I need:
Tetanus
MMR
HEP B
Varicella

Like I said, I know I had my full round of all of those when I was a kid/teenager, but I gave my HR rep my vaccination records, and this is what she replied back I needed, so I assume it's been long enough that I need boosters.

Secondly, this is more of a legal question, but one of the items on the form I'm to give to my doctor has a space to indicate I passed a drug test. In my state (Vermont,) drug-testing of employees is illegal except in a few circumstances (outlined here.) However, some of the work I'll be doing is in hospitals in NY and NH, which do have the right to drug test. But since I don't work for those hospitals, can they legally require me to take a drug test? It's worth noting I don't take drugs anyway, so I would pass but I don't want to get my employer in trouble for requesting something that legally they shouldn't be.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

spog posted:

While this might be completely true, while my answer was based on Hawaii light switches, it seems more likely to have people flailing about when there is no switch inside, because (see below).

Additionally, people outside could unknowingly leave a person in the bathroom in an awful situation.

In fact, most states electrical codes have specific requirements as to the location and height of switches to prevent people firm having to flail about in the dark. That's why we are generally so good about finding switches in the dark: because they are required to be put in specific, thus predictable, locations, and at specific, thus predictable, heights.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Do coffee machines at home make sense?
I like to have a nice cup of coffee but at the moment it seems like my options are: instant coffee which typically isn't that great, or ground coffee in my cafetiere which takes time to brew and makes more coffee than I'm likely to drink without it going cold.

I used to work at a place with a machine that you put little pouches into and it would make espresso, latte, hot chocolate and some other stuff. I've seen home coffee machines but I don't know if they're any good or hugely expensive or inflexible etc

Are they any good, massivley expensive, other?

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Crankit posted:

Do coffee machines at home make sense?
I like to have a nice cup of coffee but at the moment it seems like my options are: instant coffee which typically isn't that great, or ground coffee in my cafetiere which takes time to brew and makes more coffee than I'm likely to drink without it going cold.

I used to work at a place with a machine that you put little pouches into and it would make espresso, latte, hot chocolate and some other stuff. I've seen home coffee machines but I don't know if they're any good or hugely expensive or inflexible etc

Are they any good, massivley expensive, other?
Consider a Keurig.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

DrBouvenstein posted:

FTR, here's what I need:
Tetanus
MMR
HEP B
Varicella

If you have or are ever around small children consider adding pertussis (whooping cough) to this list. There's actually an epidemic of it right now where I live, and not entirely due to anti-vaccination types.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

FCKGW posted:

I don't know much about socal trees; the other suggestions people posted seem good.
But as for the backyard, I do have two cents! I'd recommend going with a london planetree over a sycamore (in fact, I think your original photo might have been a london plane).

Sycamores really like low-lying, wet places. You can often spot a stream from afar by looking for their white treetops. Again, I don't know southern cal, but I have a feeling an american sycamore won't do as well in a hot, dry backyard.

The london planetree is a phenomenal tree! Very resistant to lovely conditions, grows huge fast. Very popular street tree.

DrBouvenstein posted:

FTR, here's what I need:
Tetanus
MMR
HEP B
Varicella

Like I said, I know I had my full round of all of those when I was a kid/teenager, but I gave my HR rep my vaccination records, and this is what she replied back I needed, so I assume it's been long enough that I need boosters.

The reason these are such commonly required vaccines is that they are lovely, lovely diseases to get, they are ubiquitous, and we have good vaccines for them. I'd recommend getting them, even if you think you may "have another year or two to go before you need a booster."
Tetanus, Hep B, and MMR are almost guaranteed to be on-hand at any clinic that vaccinates. Varicella, dunno.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I signed up for Verizon FIOS two weeks ago, and they gave me an installation date of the 25th. What's with the insanely long wait? The apartment complex I'm living in already has it available, so why am I waiting so long?

I can't even speak to Verizon about it cause I don't have an accont number since service isn't installed yet :bang:

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

stubblyhead posted:

If you have or are ever around small children consider adding pertussis (whooping cough) to this list. There's actually an epidemic of it right now where I live, and not entirely due to anti-vaccination types.

Unless I'm mistaken, Tetanus is given as DPT, so it will come with diphtheria and pertussis vaccines as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pollyanna posted:

I signed up for Verizon FIOS two weeks ago, and they gave me an installation date of the 25th. What's with the insanely long wait? The apartment complex I'm living in already has it available, so why am I waiting so long?

I can't even speak to Verizon about it cause I don't have an accont number since service isn't installed yet :bang:

One part because you're not a business customer with an assload of money to throw at them to get it done tomorrow.

The other part is they do actually need to arrange to get poo poo hooked up to your unit, and that does take a few days if you hurry even.