Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Secks
Oct 10, 2002

The city is alive tonight
Blasted through Ready Player One in a matter of days per a friend's recommendation. I got excited when I saw a Ghostbusters reference on the first page. The book is peppered with 80's references, video game terms and movie quotes which are fun to identify and it immerses you in the world of "being in the game".

However, I noticed that once I hit halfway through, I started to get bored and disinterested even though there was a lot going on. I found myself blasting through the rest of the book as fast as possible just because I wanted to be done with it. The dialogue was nearly unbearable, there is a 6-page chatlog and I closed the book while shrugging to myself. It almost seems like something I would have written in Junior High for fun.

"Try doing some research for a change. I mean, did you ever hear of Wikipedia? It's free douchebag."

Give it a shot if you're interested in the "gaming world" and 80's references. But don't get your hopes up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DirtyRobot
Dec 15, 2003

it was a normally happy sunny day... but Dirty Robot was dirty
I just finished re-reading Nine Stories by Salinger, and re-reading Raymond E. Feist's Magician book. One of these books was superior to the other. Take a guess which one.

Salinger is a lot better once you're grown up, and I think his short stories are way better than Catcher in the Rye. I'm starting Salinger's biography now, the one by the guy who runs deadcaulfields.com, Kenneth Slawenski. I think I'll be teaching some of Salinger's stuff in the fall, and I'm going to try to turn some of that into a research article because I've noticed some solid links between his Buddhism and a few Romantic poets.

Secks posted:

"Try doing some research for a change. I mean, did you ever hear of Wikipedia? It's free douchebag."

Y'know, I've been looking for a place to find free douchebag.

DirtyRobot fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 10, 2012

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Secks posted:

Blasted through Ready Player One in a matter of days per a friend's recommendation. I got excited when I saw a Ghostbusters reference on the first page. The book is peppered with 80's references, video game terms and movie quotes which are fun to identify and it immerses you in the world of "being in the game".

However, I noticed that once I hit halfway through, I started to get bored and disinterested even though there was a lot going on. I found myself blasting through the rest of the book as fast as possible just because I wanted to be done with it. The dialogue was nearly unbearable, there is a 6-page chatlog and I closed the book while shrugging to myself. It almost seems like something I would have written in Junior High for fun.

Give it a shot if you're interested in the "gaming world" and 80's references. But don't get your hopes up.

I found the book dragged towards the end too. That said I didn't think it was that unbearable and badly written (just average). The book is what it is, a love story for a child of the 80's.

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Was reading the Wool omnibus the same time as John Dies at the End, and finished it today. It was a fun read, even though I think the setup of the world wasn't terribly plausible. The first short story was really, really good, but I don't think the author really sat down and thought through the world-building. A+ on the first one, and the other four maybe a collective B-. I'd still recommend it to people who like dystopian post-apocalypse worlds.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

tonytheshoes posted:

For what it's worth, I just finished it as well, and I quite enjoyed it. I thought it was kind of a cool amalgamation of detective noir, horror and sci-fi, though if you're looking for "hard" science, look elsewhere.

At the least, it was good enough to make me want to read the forthcoming sequel...

I finished Leviathan Wakes this weekend. For a book of almost 600 pages it was a very fast read. Even with it being a fast read it did feel like it had at least one adventure too many. Still I really liked the main 2 characters, and with it being such a easy I am pre-ordering the sequel.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
Mockingjay, Suzanne Collins: This completes the Hunger Games series. I must say, I was really surprised where she took this story. It was darker than I expected. All in all, a good book, and a good trilogy.

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Haruki Murakami: Murakami hasn't let me down yet. This one explores identity and the sub-conscious mind. And, as expected, it's more than a little weird. Good stuff. Anything that challenges the reality of the "real world" is always interesting to me.

Game of Thrones, George R. R. Martin: I heard so much about the TV show that I had to check this out. What an amazing book! This is right up there with the Lord of the Rings series, only Martin is much more enjoyable to read than Tolkien. I don't think I've ever read a book this long this quickly. I am looking forward to the subsequent books in the series.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

Wyatt posted:

Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World, Haruki Murakami: Murakami hasn't let me down yet. This one explores identity and the sub-conscious mind. And, as expected, it's more than a little weird. Good stuff. Anything that challenges the reality of the "real world" is always interesting to me.

I finished A Wild Sheep Chase the other day and loved it. It lagged a bit towards the end before The Sheep Man showed up and I found the ending to be a bit puzzling but I still liked it much, much more than The Wind Up Bird Chronicle which I found hard to get through (unpopular opinion, I know).

I have Hard Boiled Wonderland and Dance Dance Dance, can't decide which of his to start next. I also highly recommend his short story collections, which are spectacular.

I bought Point Omega by Don DeLillo today and I'm thinking about trying to finish it in one sitting.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
Just finished Free Live Free by Gene Wolfe. A really enjoyable read, but also pretty strange at times. I really liked the middle, but the ending kind of lost me - it seemed like a really weird way to take the plot. It was a strange shift in tone to a much more straightforward science fiction story than the story he'd previously been telling, and it ended up feeling really contrived and unsatisfactory, especially for Wolfe.

Of course it's entirely possible that Wolfe was doing something really tricky and interesting that I just didn't catch on to. Likely, even. But either way, the middle three-fifths or so of the book were really excellent and interesting.

Bob Ojeda fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 12, 2012

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Age of Innocence (Edith Wharton). Newland Archer is ready to continue the fine traditions of high New York society by marrying the right girl with the right name and right background. Then he meets her "foreign" cousin, who at first disgusts him by not being a conformist, then fascinates him because she's something different. Ellen's probably the only innocent in the book. High society isn't accepting, Newland's selfish about what he wants, and May does some beautifully understated backstabbing by playing her family to think he's unfaithful, toying with Ellen's emotions by guessing their relationship, and then making sure Newland only knows things when she wants him to know.

It's pretty good, but I didn't think it was quite as fascinating as The House of Mirth in societal implications.

An American Tragedy (Theodore Dreiser). Boy from a not so good background gets a chance at moving up in the world via a rich uncle. He falls for a factory girl but then starts getting affectionate with another who has everything he wants. It takes 130 pages for this thing to get started and about 150 more to find a groove. You have feeling the book is in trouble when you've hit the high point and there are still 230 pages to go. And you would be correct. Dreiser's very wordy throughout. The last part of the book has some decent bits, especially the end. But in between, he has some sparks of interesting angles but blows right right through them (Clyde's poor mother attempting to drum up support for her son and the way the crowds react). Earlier, it was an interesting tale of society and morality, but it's mostly abandoned to turn into merely a tale of morality - Clyde's lawyers and his willingness to lie on the stand, the prison, and true religious conversion.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

The Devil's Gentleman: Privilege, Poison, and the Trial That Ushered in the Twentieth Century by Harold Schechter. Good story, some interesting characters, not particularly well written, with lots of clunky foreshadowing. I have to stop reading these historical true crime books, I'm getting jaded. I should have enjoyed this more than I did.

Lord Krangdar
Oct 24, 2007

These are the secrets of death we teach.

Slackerish posted:

I bought Point Omega by Don DeLillo today and I'm thinking about trying to finish it in one sitting.

I would advise against that. I read it in one sitting but I regret it now, I feel like I should have taken my time and let the book unfold at its own pace. Your mileage may vary, of course.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Hot Art: Chasing Thieves and Detectives through the Secret World of Stolen Art by Joshua Knelman, not so much about art theft as about the efforts made to retrieve stolen art. Title says it all. I'm not really interested in the topic, so I have no idea why I bothered to read it. What I learned is that apparently it's the easiest thing in the world to steal art, and you'll never be caught since there's like 6 detectives in the whole world whose job it is to investigate these crimes, which usually go unreported. I also learned that crime organizations love art because it's convenient to use it as a money laundering thing.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just got done reading The Dream Metropolis by Miles Cressman (who happens to be goon Azure_Horizon).

I enjoyed it quite a bit (finished it in 2 days), but I found it a bit meandering at times since a lot of it is exploring the jumps between dreams and the main characters. You end up with a really good feel for who these people are and how that drives the experiences they have in the dream city. Guy has a knack for writing conflicted, interesting characters. It gets more sinister and less ephemeral as the book goes on, culminating with scenes with the people running the show behind the scenes. There's also some overt Assassin's Creed and The Matrix influence.

I'd say it's totally worth checking out, especially since the ebook is only 99 cents on Amazon/Nook. There's apparently a sequel coming soon (hence the price drop) and just the fact that he's writing a sequel to a book that actually had a satisfying ending has me interested in reading more. I definitely want more explanation as to exactly what the gently caress on certain topics.

I think next on my reading list is some Vonnegut, but I'm not really sure.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Picked up a copy. Don't mind helping out fellow goon authors, plus it's a buck.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I now know which one of my friends were unpopular in high school and need wish fulfillment fiction.

This review sums up my feelings exactly. http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-295

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

tuyop posted:

Just finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss. I now know which one of my friends were unpopular in high school and need wish fulfillment fiction.

This review sums up my feelings exactly. http://ferretbrain.com/articles/article-295

The tragic hilarity of The Name of the Wind is that, even though Kvothe is a total wish-fulfilment character who excels at EVERYTHING, he still ends up in a total Nice Guy situation with the girl he's obsessed with. And this is seen to be a good thing. Kvothe boasts about how, while whatserface sleeps with tons of other guys and never him, none of those other guys will ever be in the privileged position he's in where he gets to listen to all her woes and be her emotional crutch and yet remain totally hopelessly celibate because she's the only girl he'll ever love and she Just Doesn't See Him Like That. And Rothfuss writes this as if it's the best situation possible and we Should All Be Jealous Of Kvothe.

It's very revealing about Patrick Rothfuss.

Nb: i dont know if the situation changes in the 2nd book, I havent read it because gently caress that poo poo

Hedrigall fucked around with this message at 11:46 on Jun 15, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

The tragic hilarity of The Name of the Wind is that, even though Kvothe is a total wish-fulfilment character who excels at EVERYTHING, he still ends up in a total Nice Guy situation with the girl he's obsessed with. And this is seen to be a good thing. Kvothe boasts about how, while whatserface sleeps with tons of other guys and never him, none of those other guys will ever be in the privileged position he's in where he gets to listen to all her woes and be her emotional crutch and yet remain totally hopelessly celibate because she's the only girl he'll ever love and she Just Doesn't See Him Like That. And Rothfuss writes this as if it's the best situation possible and we Should All Be Jealous Of Kvothe.

Nb: i dont know if the situation changes in the 2nd book, I havent read it because gently caress that poo poo

Yeah my friends who recommended it have been urging me to start the second book. No thanks, but if anyone knows of a book about a normal innkeeper living in a fantasy world, I'd love to read that.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

tuyop posted:

Yeah my friends who recommended it have been urging me to start the second book. No thanks, but if anyone knows of a book about a normal innkeeper living in a fantasy world, I'd love to read that.

Try the Ethshar series by Lawrence Watt Evans, starting with The Misenchanted Sword. It's basically a series of novels about assorted perfectly normal, reasonable people who happen to live in a fantasy world. Most of the stories involve magical accidents or bizarre situations that the characters just have to figure out how to deal with.

My favorite in the series might be Ithnalin's Restoration, which is just a story about a wizard's apprentice trying to put her Master back together again after he gets magically scattered into all the furniture. Nobody can help her because all the big important wizards are dealing with a Huge Magical Crisis (covered in one of the other books), so it's just the story of what's going on with her in the background. Almost like magical slice-of-life.

A few books in the series feature an inn and an innkeeper but I don't want to spoil too much of them, just start at the beginning with Misenchanted Sword. They're some of my favorite fantasy novels ever. (Edit: a couple of them aren't so good but most are great).

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
The other day I finished These Guys Have All the Fun, an oral history of ESPN put together by Tom Shales and James Andrew Miller. It's packed with interviews, kind of interesting but for the most part it didn't really tell me anything I didn't already know: ESPN faced an uphill battle to establish itself, Keith Olbermann's kind of a dick to work with, there's a lot of sexism at the network, the NFL used it's muscle to get Playmakers taken off the air, ESPN is now a billion dollar entity, etc. I imagine the kind of person who really wants to read a 700+ page history of the network already knows these stories (and probably read the most salacious parts of this book on Deadspin).

Still, it's nice to have all these stories in one place, plus a couple here I hadn't heard before, and it gave me a new appreciation for people like John Walsh, Robin Roberts and even Olbermann (who comes off as impossible to get along with while being extraordinarily talented at what he does). I'm glad I read this, but I don't think I'll go back to it like I have with Shales and Miller's history of Saturday Night Live.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

I had to re-read many parts of Rules of Attraction to sort things out but it was a great book and surprisingly funny.
I was not expecting a comedy of errors.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I had to re-read many parts of Rules of Attraction to sort things out but it was a great book and surprisingly funny.
I was not expecting a comedy of errors.

I might be in the minority, but I really enjoyed the movie too.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
This has been a bit of a surprising week for me. I just got back into reading with my new Nook and I'm at 4 books in 4 days. I already posted about The Dream Metropolis, so I won't go back over that.

After that, I tore through Redshirts by John Scolzi, since I caught Dr. Faustus's thread. That one was a fun ride with, what I felt, a lot of heart. Hit everything I wanted to see and more.

Then, I snagged Tall Tales of Felony and Failure, since it couldn't hurt to try out another goon-written book and I had a great time with that one, if the ending was a bit abrupt. The banter was spot-on and it was a solid exploration of what people would do with the ability to stop time. I need to put together a BN review for that one and get it some press.

Today's novel was Old Man's War, another by John Scolzi. Like reshirts, it has a lot of heart, but I am really in love with how the setting brushes aside the existentialist baggage transhumanism brings and focuses instead on how war and love shape the human mind, regardless of what body you're in.

Basically, thanks Book Barn! I forgot how much I liked reading and it's nice to get back into it.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Hedrigall posted:

What's also hilarious is that Kvothe is surrounded by attractive, intelligent women who are also interested in him, but nope gotta go for the mysterious girl who has to be treated delicately because she is like a deer that could run away at any moment (what the hell was up with that metaphor anyways?)

The best Nice Guy-ism is in the 2nd book when Kvothe resists the urge to call Denna a whore because she won't listen to him. Though he wasn't asking for sex in that scene, I definitely felt that Nice Guy undertone of "any woman that won't sleep with me is a *slut*!".

The guy who did the review that was linked earlier also did a review of the 2nd book, and it's a pretty good analysis. It spoils most of it but if you're not planning on reading it anyways then it's a good rundown on the bullets you've dodged by passing on it, because The Wise Man's Fear takes the flaws of the first book and amplifies them.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Srice posted:

The guy who did the review that was linked earlier also did a review of the 2nd book, and it's a pretty good analysis. It spoils most of it but if you're not planning on reading it anyways then it's a good rundown on the bullets you've dodged by passing on it, because The Wise Man's Fear takes the flaws of the first book and amplifies them.

That article asks all the same questions I had when reading the first, about how the gently caress Rothfuss has gotten so much goddamn praise and has been heralded as the new saviour of fantasy alongside such actually talented authors like George RR Martin. Seriously, why the gently caress is everyone slathering his rear end in a top hat with their tongues about how awesome his books are?

I have to quote some of that article here so more people will read it:

that article posted:

Felurian is the sirens, and Artemis and pretty much every other sex-death-nudity chick from mythology or fiction rolled into one. Kvothe catches her, bones her, breaks free of her sex-death-nudity mind control, completely whips her rear end in a straight fight, then bones her again, then plays music that makes her think he's awesome, then writes half a song about her that is so awesome that she agrees to let him go so that he can finish it, then disses her sexual prowess, which prompts her to get really insecure and tell him what an amazing lover he is, then they have sex some more, then she sews him a magic cloak, while he goes away and talks to a prophetic tree which turns out to be evil.

Then they have sex some more, then he comes back to the real world and is all “bros, I totally did it with Felurian” and everybody is all like “no way, you'd be mad or dead” and he's like “no I totally did it with Felurian” and then the hot barmaid from earlier is all like “no he's definitely telling the truth because I am a woman and I can see that he has got totally sexed up since we last met, because I tried to sex him and it freaked him out, but now it looks like he wouldn't be freaked out and also he would be totally awesome at sexing.” Then Kvothe does sex with the hot barmaid and he is totally awesome at it, and he explains how doing sex with the hot barmaid is totally as good as doing sex with Felurian, because women are like music and sometimes you want to listen to a beautiful symphony and sometimes you just want a nice simple jig, and by the way this definitely isn't sexist, and if you think it is then you know nothing about music or love or him.

This last line, apart from being switched from the first to the third person, is a direct quote from the book.

also

that article posted:

in one of the most critically acclaimed fantasy novels of the twenty-first century a faery creature of unbridled sexual potency, as ancient as time itself, who lures men to their deaths with her irresistible beauty and insatiable lovemaking has her mind blown by the sexual prowess of a sixteen year old virgin.

:psyduck:

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Hedrigall posted:

That article asks all the same questions I had when reading the first, about how the gently caress Rothfuss has gotten so much goddamn praise and has been heralded as the new saviour of fantasy alongside such actually talented authors like George RR Martin. Seriously, why the gently caress is everyone slathering his rear end in a top hat with their tongues about how awesome his books are?

I have to quote some of that article here so more people will read it:

also

:psyduck:

I like the point the article made about how if Kvothe and Patrick Rothfuss were both women the book would be considered Twilight-level trash. It's really a striking comparison; obvious Mary Sue has all the sexy people of their preferred gender fall in love with them and never has any problem that can't be overcome with sheer force of how cool the main character is, but for some reason being written by a man makes it a wonderful work of fantasy where if it were a woman it would probably be considered Twilight 2.0. Honestly this book's more offensive to me than Twilight. At least Twilight is just a personality-less girl being fought over by two hot guys, Kvothe is every male nerd fantasy shoved into one character. At least Rothfuss's writing is better.

Punished Chuck fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 18, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

I like the point the article made about how if Kvothe and Patrick Rothfuss were both women the book would be considered Twilight-level trash. It's really a striking comparison; obvious Mary Sue has all the sexy people of their preferred gender fall in love with them and never has any problem that can't be overcome with sheer force of how cool the main character is, but for some reason being written by a man makes it a wonderful work of fantasy where if it were a woman it would probably be considered Twilight 2.0. Honestly this book's more offensive to me than Twilight. At least Twilight is just a personality-less girl being fought over by two hot guys, Kvothe is every male nerd fantasy shoved into one character. At least Rothfuss's writing is better.

Yeah, the quality of the writing was the only saving grace in The Name of the Wind, and even then he's not a great writer, it's just mostly innocuous. I'd really like to figure out what makes GRRM's ASOIF world so much more concrete and interesting than Rothfuss's... whatever it's called.

Also:

:colbert:

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There's a pic of him in which he is wearing a shirt that says "Joss Whedon is my God"

Just throwing that out there.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Bertie Wooster Sees It Through (P.G. Wodehouse): Wodehouse had been on my reading list for some time, but it's only now that I've gotten around to attempting any of his. I'm sorry I haven't. I found myself laughing out loud several times, especially at Percy's, "That is the boy!" I love that a seemingly throwaway slightly comic line shows back up pages later, such as that Percy one, as it was one I wasn't expecting to see again.

The local library also has at least part of the television series. I don't know whether I should read then watch or watch then read.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire

tuyop posted:

Yeah, the quality of the writing was the only saving grace in The Name of the Wind, and even then he's not a great writer, it's just mostly innocuous. I'd really like to figure out what makes GRRM's ASOIF world so much more concrete and interesting than Rothfuss's... whatever it's called.

GRRM's world has history. It seems like every house, major and minor, has some sort of interesting story or three, and there're tons of different and interesting cultures. The only backstory Rothfuss provides is some weird myth that no one actually wants to talk about, and thus we spend 300 pages reading about Kvothe doing some random task.

Because despite all that backstory and poo poo, GRRM keeps the story moving. Rothfuss really doesn't.

Applesmack
Jun 18, 2012
Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. Amazing book; almost flawless. I loved the magic system, the characters, the universe and Sanderson's writing style. He definitely can write some awesome action scenes. There is no pretentious writing to be found and every scene he writes sticks clearly in your mind. My only issue with the book is the pacing at the end. Although I generally appreciated the fast pace through most of the story I think they rushed the ending a little bit. Everything was wrapped up from a seemingly hopeless defeat to a total victory in a span of about 50 pages and the final fight was slightly underwhelming. But outside of that, great job Sanderson! Already started on Well of the Ascension.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I just finished the His Dark Materials trilogy. Quite liked it. I remember seeing the movie for Golden Compass and thinking it was really cheesy, but now I think that the books just wouldn't translate well to the screen.

Though in my mind Lord Asriel was always Daniel Craig. :allears:

Serious Sam
Feb 15, 2008

Never underestimate the power of stupid things in large numbers!
Just finished The Power og Habit by Charles Duhigg.

Well written book about habits and how to change them if you wan't to.

Goky
Jan 11, 2005
Goky is like Goku only more kawaii ^____^
I finally got around to reading The Call of Cthulu the other night. The first 90% of it had me feeling pretty paranoid and cosmically insignificant, but the ending sort of ruined it for me.

Cthulu is described as this otherworldly, destructive force that transcends our own understanding of time and euclidean space, yet it took random chance (or was it?) and a gaggle of sailors to wake him. After they did, a few escaped, and Cthulu unsuccessfully chased them down until a boat ran into him and he just gave up and went back to sleep. It just all felt a little anti-climactic.

Regardless, I enjoyed it and it still freaked me out. Maybe I just need to read more stories in that mythos to understand what the dilly is.

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007
A great deal of Lovecraft is basically that.

"There were some really cool creepy bits but..."

Head on over to the wonderful Cosmic Horror thread for some more contemporary entries in the genre.

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Johnbo posted:

Prepare to feel very, very depressed.
I didn't believe this post about Less Than Zero.
Then I finished the second half and :stonk:

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

I didn't believe this post about Less Than Zero.
Then I finished the second half and :stonk:

I thought the sequel managed to be even more depressing. It got a lot of hate from well, pretty much everyone, but I thought it was a solid read.

Copernic
Sep 16, 2006

...A Champion, who by mettle of his glowing personal charm alone, saved the universe...
Blood, Bones, and Butter by Gabrielle Hamilton.

I thought this was going to be a memoir of the cooking world, like Kitchen Confidential, and there's plenty of that. The back-breaking hours, the heat, etc.

But the book is overwhelmed by the author's unresolved and frankly severe emotional issues. Her family fell apart when she was young. She dealt with it by becoming self-sufficient and emotionally isolated. And now deals with all problems, setbacks, and challenges with a bitter, seething rage devoid of introspection.

The back third of the book is devoted to her uncomprehending anger at her failing marriage, her inability to communicate, and occasionally there's some cooking. It's funny that the book is billed as 'uncompromising' -- it lacks, for example, Bourdain's self-awareness to leaven the struggles with a little self-deprecation or even perspective. This is someone who doesn't understand herself and can't control how she interacts with others.

It's very colorfully, engagingly written, but wow, I was just blistered from the heat.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Oh wow, just finished The Illearth War, which is part of The First Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, and it was certainly something! I mean geez, you can really tell that the author isn't afraid to screw over the 'good guys', and really let their desperation show and affect their choices. For instance, wow, boy was I surprised when Elena tried to summon/resurrect Kevin himself! There I was thinking:

"Alright, so the Despiser's an unavailable target, and so is the white gold. She'll just cruise over to the Earthblood, drink some, then command the ravers and Foul's army to turn and fight for the Land, and strive to destroy Foul. Wait...wait...n-no! What is she doing!? Well, it might turn out to be the best decision, right? Wait, no, Kevin himself is calling her a fool - aaaaand he's just killed Morin. Dammit! Why? This will just ruin everything!"

I honestly kind of felt like Covenant at that point; helpless to stop this useless, completely avoidable path to certain destruction.

As for Hile Troy... Wow. I honestly thought that he'd get strung up like whats-his-face the giant-raver! But turned into a Forestal? Geez, that's...something, alright. I'm hoping he comes back into matters in the third book though, as I'm curious about how he turned out, if he isn't still a stump. (why did he get turned into a tree, anyway? Just for a pre-training period to 'become one with the forest' type of thing? I dunno) Like, is he a hater of all humans, and anything that can/will bring destrution to the forest? Or is he still (at least relatively) like his normal self; essentially meaning just hating Covenant for not saving Elena, etc?

But yeah, just...wow. I'm hoping the third book can match the second. (Also, are the second and third chronicles worth hunting down and reading? I'll probably buy them if I see them anyway, but I'm just wondering if they're as good as the first chronicles, or if they get worse and worse, or something.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

But yeah, just...wow. I'm hoping the third book can match the second. (Also, are the second and third chronicles worth hunting down and reading? I'll probably buy them if I see them anyway, but I'm just wondering if they're as good as the first chronicles, or if they get worse and worse, or something.

It's probably been more than ten years since I've read them, but from what I recall I liked the second series alright, not as much as I did the first.

It's funny I'm a big re-reader and I just don't know if I can take reading those books a second time, but I still have them on my bookshelf just in case I ever do want to tackle them again.

Never did read the third series, by the time they came out I just wasn't interested in seeing where he took the setting; the second trilogy has a pretty conclusive ending.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weaponized Autism
Mar 26, 2006

All aboard the Gravy train!
Hair Elf
Ghost in the Wires by Kevin Mitnick.

Gets my vote for The Most Interesting Man in the World.