Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!

Gorn Myson posted:

I really went into "True Love" with zero expectations other than "Oh the cast looks amazing" and I'm pretty happy with it. Its just simple, straightforward stories centering around love and relationships and its works purely because the actors have great chemistry with each other and the dialogue feels so naturalistic (which makes sense given that it was apparently improvised).

I agree, the dialogue did feel very natural.

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

I though it was pretty rubbish to be honest, 30 minutes is just to short for the sort of drama it was trying to be and there seemed to be very little chemistry between the 'love' characters in each episode. The last episode was marginally better.

Mhm, the half hour didn't feel long enough for me to feel invested in their relationship. It felt like five minutes flew by and they were already in love and the whole school knew. The fact that we didn't really see many repercussions apart from Jenny Agutter giving Billie a bit of a telling off and the classroom chanting 'lesbian' at the end, it didn't really help make the story seem 'real' or grounded.

Saying that, I did enjoy it. It was cute. Not sure if that's really a compliment though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post

TheVertigoOfBliss posted:

I though it was pretty rubbish to be honest

As soon as I hear BBC's Original British Drama declaration, I know to switch off. I think Luther is the closest thing to a good drama the BBC have produced in as long as I can remember.

TheVertigoOfBliss
Jan 29, 2007
The Syndicate was decent and Silk is a bit nonsense but ive still enjoyed it. Most recent ones i can think of.

Plus Luther is brilliant.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Handsome Dead posted:

As soon as I hear BBC's Original British Drama declaration, I know to switch off. I think Luther is the closest thing to a good drama the BBC have produced in as long as I can remember.

I really enjoyed Shadowline, but the ending was a bit weak.

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Handsome Dead posted:

Your memory must be very short indeed if you can't remember stuff like State of Play.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My mum loved The Syndicate, and while I never really paid much attention, it just seemed pointlessly bleak; kind of like an episode of Eastenders but given prime time treatment. It also didn't help that I was in the middle of writing analytical essays and couldn't help reading the show as the Beeb telling us it's OK to be poor in this poo poo economy.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Tried Dead Boss tonight. "That was AWE-SOME" shrieked the BBC Three continuity lady. "loving liar!" I yelled back.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

PriorMarcus posted:

I really enjoyed Shadowline, but the ending was a bit weak.

Inside Men and The Shadowline were both pretty good.

Just finished Stewart Lee's newish (old) book, that was good as well.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

BizarroAzrael posted:

Tried Dead Boss tonight. "That was AWE-SOME" shrieked the BBC Three continuity lady. "loving liar!" I yelled back.

It is kind of meh really.

God I miss Ideal.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

I normally think that generally, creatives should have the freedom not to have their vision interfered with; but The Shadow Line really seemed to me as though it would have benefited greatly from having a cynic sitting next to Hugo Blick with a script and a red pen, constantly saying "now, this bit here when X and Y happens; what does it mean, how do we know that, what's it setting up, what are we learning about the people in it" (and etc.) I was unsure about it right from the credit "Written, Produced and Directed by...", and I never lost the feeling that nobody had ever said to him "sorry mate, you've just lost me a bit there, remind me why this is?"

Result: one slightly obscure and up itself script with one really excellent and interesting character (Bede) and a bunch of extremely well-photographed cardboard cutouts who wander around the place belching lines at each other.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I thought True Love was okay, but (again), they seemed to rely on music to fill in the gaps left by the necessarily, sometimes, ambiguous script. Slow ponderous shots of the sea with lyrics generally featuring a message of "LOVE HURTS AND IS SAD BUT SOMETIMES ITS GREAT AND IT'S DANGEROUS OH WHY OH WHY OH WHY" just left me kind of irritated.

I also found that several of the plots were just too similar: Unhappy marriage -> one half of couple embarks on flighty romance -> other half is sad -> unhappiness prevails -> end.

I did really like some of the effects of the improvised dialogue though, it did all feel very naturalistic, and I'd like to see the idea played with more on television.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Swing low, sweet chariot

Trin Tragula posted:

Result: one slightly obscure and up itself script with one really excellent and interesting character (Bede) and a bunch of extremely well-photographed cardboard cutouts who wander around the place belching lines at each other.

Most of those lines being threats to other people's children.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
What's the consensus on The Chaser? Since they changed the rules on Pointless, I started watching it and it seems like one of the best quiz shows in a long time: it's got a great host, a simple gimmick and rapid fire questions. So much better than Goldenballs.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Handsome Dead posted:

What's the consensus on The Chaser? Since they changed the rules on Pointless, I started watching it and it seems like one of the best quiz shows in a long time: it's got a great host, a simple gimmick and rapid fire questions. So much better than Goldenballs.

The Chase with Bradley Walsh? It's good. Guy I knew from Uni went on it and got nearly all his questions wrong and never really lived it down. Mark is the one to avoid, the other ones are good but he's obviously the best.

Can't wait until it goes to the US and they find a way of getting a girl in a bikini on there somehow.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

They changed Pointless?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Junkenstein posted:

They changed Pointless?

loving BBC. Why would you gently caress with perfection?

Noreaus
May 22, 2008

HEY, WHAT'S HAPPENING? :)
The format has actually changed twice in its run. Check out the wikipedia page or the old repeats on Challenge to see how tedious it used to be.

What have they changed now? :ohdear:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Junkenstein posted:

They changed Pointless?

Pointless is amazing, I hope the changes aren't too drastic. The old format was pretty awful though, so maybe the changes they have made are for the better, but...

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

I think there might need to be a support group formed after tonight episode of Eastenders.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

I do like hearing when it goes over the top. What happened?

Brown Moses
Feb 22, 2002

SeanBeansShako posted:

I do like hearing when it goes over the top. What happened?

Well the set up for the episode is important. Michael Moon, a borderline sociopath, is engaged to marry millionaire Jeanine Butcher, who is six months pregnant with his baby. In an attempt to prove he's not worthless he scammed manic-depressive Jean Slater out of loads of money belonging to Kat and Alfie Moon (his cousin), landlord and landlady of the Queen Vic. When Jean tried to expose him he managed to convince everyone she was crazy, which made her go crazy.

In tonight's episode Michael and Jeanine are getting married, after convincing Kat and Alfie that Jean needs to be sectioned. Jean reacts by saying she'll kill herself if she's sectioned, driving Kat to ask Michael if he's telling the truth. After hearing Jean will kill herself (which reminds him of his own mother who killed herself) he admits he scammed her, and tells Kat he doesn't love Jeanine, is only in it for the money, and doesn't care about their baby, much like he doesn't care about the baby he fathered with Kat while Alfie was in prison in Spain.

Michael then confesses all the Jeanine, but twists it so he's making out it's Jeanine's fault for making him sign a pre-nup, which he says is a sign she doesn't trust him, and he took the money to prove himself to her. He convinces her to rip up the pre-nup, then they get married.

Just after they get married Jeanine's waters break 11 weeks early, and she starts bleeding all over her wedding dress and is rushed to hospital, with Michael blaming Jean for stressing Jeanine out.

At the hospital Jeanine has an emergency caesarean with Michael in the room, and the baby is delivered without a heartbeat. Michael is clearly more attached to the baby then he realised, and when they revive the baby the last shot is the premature baby hooked up to various machines and Michael asks himself "What have I done?".

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Ah so the usual scatter shot misery then. Still need a dramatic established character death to polish that storyline off.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Brown Moses posted:

At the hospital Jeanine has an emergency caesarean with Michael in the room, and the baby is delivered without a heartbeat. Michael is clearly more attached to the baby then he realised, and when they revive the baby the last shot is the premature baby hooked up to various machines and Michael asks himself "What have I done?".

I think it speaks for EastEnders general gutter of loving upset that I thought that worked out much more jolly than I imagined it would.

Let's have to some Hollyoaks chat instead, that's always nice and insane for a couple of pages while we try to decipher if the descriptions are real or a clever lampoon.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

EastEnders has a rather unhealthy obsession with dead babies lately I have too say.

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!

PriorMarcus posted:

Let's have to some Hollyoaks chat instead, that's always nice and insane for a couple of pages while we try to decipher if the descriptions are real or a clever lampoon.

Oh Hollyoaks <3

In the most recent episodes I've seen, Carmel McQueen entered a beauty competition. Her sister Michaela made fun of her 'pale' complexion and therefore Carmel decides to use her sister's tanning lamp. The tanning lamp was faulty, and Michaela knew about it but let Carmel use it anyway (dun duhn). The lamp blew up in Carmels face, leading to an emergency visit to the hospital. Carmel discovers that her face is scarred for life. Well, one scar, on her cheek (dun duhhn!). Feeling like she'll never be considered beautiful again, she goes onto the hospital roof with the intention of ending her tortured existence (DUN DUUHHHNN!). Until, Lyndsay, a nurse and regular character talks her down.

Also Mitzeee (yes, it's spelt with 3 e's), is in love with her nephew or cousin or whatever, named Riley. The point is, they're related, but no-one seems to care.

loving REAL LIFE DRAMA.

AuguryOwl fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Jun 22, 2012

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun
I'm sure this isn't even the first Eastenders wedding where the bride has given birth. God, this whole storyline has been too depressing to watch.

AuguryOwl posted:

Oh Hollyoaks <3

I really miss old Hollyoaks. Like that simpleton kid who lived with his dead mother, or the serial killer who killed several blondes then got pushed off the roof. Amazing TV.

SEX BURRITO fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Jun 22, 2012

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

AuguryOwl posted:

Also Mitzeee (yes, it's spelt with 3 e's), is in love with her nephew or cousin or whatever, named Riley. The point is, they're related, but no-one seems to care.

You see, that's the kind of baby I'd expect to be premature. EastEnders is lagging behind.

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!

PriorMarcus posted:

You see, that's the kind of baby I'd expect to be premature. EastEnders is lagging behind.

Hollyoaks did do a story a while back where two characters began dating, fell in love, then found out they were half-brother and sister... then carried on secretly dating until the sister had to leave due to the family being mortified by the whole thing.

Then like six months later they had this joke about the whole situation in which the guy's friends teased him about it while they were playing pool, and he just laughed along, like it was a jolly old fling or something. :|

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!

netally posted:

I really miss old Hollyoaks. Like that simpleton kid who lived with his dead mother, or the serial killer who killed several blondes then got pushed off the roof. Amazing TV.

Silas was the best serial killer in Hollyoaks.
Edit: I mean better than the one who killed blondes.

AuguryOwl fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jun 22, 2012

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

It was definitely worth watching 8/10 Cats tonight after Jimmy Carr's tax avoidance story. They even had an extended episode because of it.

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!
Also, Hollyoaks won 9 awards at the Twitter Soap Awards, including best soap. I think that's pretty impressive.

Ok I'll shut up about Hollyoaks now. Sorry.

Geokinesis posted:

It was definitely worth watching 8/10 Cats tonight after Jimmy Carr's tax avoidance story. They even had an extended episode because of it.

How did Jimmy handle it?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

AuguryOwl posted:

Also, Hollyoaks won 9 awards at the Twitter Soap Awards, including best soap. I think that's pretty impressive.

How did Jimmy handle it?

Apologetically and remorseful for the most part. Seemed to be in good spirits. Louis Spence nearly ruined it by being himself.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

AuguryOwl posted:

How did Jimmy handle it?

Taking it on the chin, being sincere and apologetic at times, getting danced at by Lois Spence.

Are you named after a Magic card?

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

Apologetically and remorseful for the most part. Seemed to be in good spirits. Louis Spence nearly ruined it by being himself.

I wouldn't mind either of those people completely vanishing from my screens, especially Carr.

AuguryOwl posted:

Is this what it sounds like?

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

PriorMarcus posted:

I wouldn't mind either of those people completely vanishing from my screens, especially Carr.

What do you hate about Carr?

AuguryOwl
Jun 2, 2012

Moomoomoo!!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Are you named after a Magic card?

Yes, I used to play and I liked the card and the name, because owls. <3

PriorMarcus posted:

Is this what it sounds like?

I think so. It's like a shittier version of the British Soap Awards that no-one really cares about. But still, go them!

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

I've just never found his jokes or his delivery of them to be funny, and on something like 10 O'Clock Live I find that he actively ruins my enjoyment of the show.

I thought that was actually a pretty universal opinion here to be honest.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
If you were going to watch Would I Lie to you because of Armando, don't bother! Much like his appearances in Have I Got News for You, he was almost totally edited out. Would someone link the Armando Iannucci show sketch where he's at a dinner party being fed lines through the food, it feels relevant.

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

He's morally repugnant.
fake e: "bleeding all over her wedding dress" is perfect sentence in a plot synopsis. I love it. Guess I need to watch more soaps.

SEX BURRITO
Jun 30, 2007

Not much fun

AuguryOwl posted:

Never!

Mr. Squishy posted:

fake e: "bleeding all over her wedding dress" is perfect sentence in a plot synopsis. I love it. Guess I need to watch more soaps.

Hollyoaks always had people dying on their wedding day. Did they ever have a wedding that was vaguely normal and dull?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

AuguryOwl posted:

Yes, I used to play and I liked the card and the name, because owls. <3

It's weird because I noticed I was quoting you after playing the card for the first time tonight because it's in the new Ninja deck.