Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?
Does anyone remember the name of a series of nature 'magazines' for kids from the 80s/90s, with each 'issue' being about a kind of animal(or ecosystems maybe) and then there was an extra exotic animal one with a bunch of different weird species. I think the commercials for it focused on elephants or the trial magazine was the elephant one, and if you ordered them I remember they were supposed to come with flash cards/stickers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ladyweapon
Nov 6, 2010

It reads all over his face,
like he's an Italian.

Halman posted:

Does anyone remember the name of a series of nature 'magazines' for kids from the 80s/90s, with each 'issue' being about a kind of animal(or ecosystems maybe), I think. and then there was an extra exotic animal one with a bunch of different weird species. I think the commercials for it focused on elephants and the trial magazine was the elephant one, and if you ordered them I remember they were supposed to come with flash cards/stickers.

Sounds like Zoobooks

Halman
Feb 10, 2007

What's the...Rush?

Holy poo poo they still make them. Thanks!

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
I know this might be more of an E/N question since it concerns terrible social skills. But it also probably doesn't merit a whole thread.

Anyway, there's a friend of my family who I bump into a few times a year and I want to make friends with him. But I literally don't know how.
"Hey, we should be proper friends, so please invite me to your future social gatherings and such?" doesn't seem like the best way to go about it. And I don't have a group of friends I could just invite him out with.

Is there some social protocol here?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

moana posted:

Thank you! There is apparently also a secret code of buttons to press to reset it that acer will tell you if you call customer service.

FYI you need to be successfully logged in to be able to create a password reset disk.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

VodeAndreas posted:

I've got a steel electric kettle with some discolouration and buildup at the moment, it says to use descaling solution but the internet tells me that vinegar should work too? If I go with this intead of bothering to find something special, do I put it in and boil it or just leave it sit and scrub it a little?

Vinear works kind of but not really, but CLR works

Or you could use ice lemon wedges and salt. It will not work, but anyone who has worked in a restaurant will laugh at seeing it. Why was that always my sidework? That and marrying ketchup. I hated there things.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

VagueRant posted:

I know this might be more of an E/N question since it concerns terrible social skills. But it also probably doesn't merit a whole thread.

Anyway, there's a friend of my family who I bump into a few times a year and I want to make friends with him. But I literally don't know how.
"Hey, we should be proper friends, so please invite me to your future social gatherings and such?" doesn't seem like the best way to go about it. And I don't have a group of friends I could just invite him out with.

Is there some social protocol here?

"Hey we should hang out sometime what's your number?" Then call it when you want to do something with him.

Seriously?

veni veni veni fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Jul 2, 2012

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

NESguerilla posted:

"Hey we should hang out sometime what's your number?" Then call it when you want to do something with him.

Seriously?

Don't forget to add "no homo" at the end, bro.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Besesoth posted:

Huh, this is quite a stumper. Plastic bricks, so it's not an Erector Set or Meccano. Stacking bricks, so it's not K'Nex or Capsela. Could it have been a Fischertechnik set?

Doesn't look like it. The identifying feature would be its plastic screwdriver used to tighten the pieces together...

The picture given does seem to show a screwable part, but the other pictures I find of Fischertechnik don't look at all familiar. Also, can't find any picture of a Fischertechnik screwdriver.

Golbez fucked around with this message at 13:49 on Jul 2, 2012

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Golbez posted:

Doesn't look like it. The identifying feature would be its plastic screwdriver used to tighten the pieces together...

The picture given does seem to show a screwable part, but the other pictures I find of Fischertechnik don't look at all familiar. Also, can't find any picture of a Fischertechnik screwdriver.

When I woke up this morning I had a new name in my head! How about Parker Brothers' The Construction Company? It's way out of production at this point, and there's almost nothing about it on the web, but batches of the blocks and some kits appear to come up on eBay all the time. Here's another auction with the screwdriver visible in the image.

By the way, thanks for asking this question - I'd totally forgotten about all of the construction kits I'd had when I was a kid. I'm actually headed back to that house in a couple weeks - I wonder if they're all still up in the attic...

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine

Besesoth posted:

When I woke up this morning I had a new name in my head! How about Parker Brothers' The Construction Company? It's way out of production at this point, and there's almost nothing about it on the web, but batches of the blocks and some kits appear to come up on eBay all the time. Here's another auction with the screwdriver visible in the image.

By the way, thanks for asking this question - I'd totally forgotten about all of the construction kits I'd had when I was a kid. I'm actually headed back to that house in a couple weeks - I wonder if they're all still up in the attic...

YES that is it! I know based just on the name. Wow, with all the information on various construction toy sets out there, it's weird to find one with so little web presence. Holy poo poo, thanks for this.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Trying to remember the name of an edutainment game my parents bought me when I was younger, from probably around 1991-1993. It starred 2 short friendly alien characters, one male and one female, different colors. You would travel around different 'stations' on a map and answer all sorts of science questions in each one. I don't really remember the exact format. I think the letter 'Q' was used either in the title or the names of the characters.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Orzo posted:

Trying to remember the name of an edutainment game my parents bought me when I was younger, from probably around 1991-1993. It starred 2 short friendly alien characters, one male and one female, different colors. You would travel around different 'stations' on a map and answer all sorts of science questions in each one. I don't really remember the exact format. I think the letter 'Q' was used either in the title or the names of the characters.

Quarky and Quaysoo's Turbo Science?

Edit: Hey, it's free to download these days!

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Thanks, that's it!

Baron Porkface
Jan 22, 2007

Has a member of the Republican or Democratic party ever been forcibly ejected, like ever? Not counting not-paying dues.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Pizer posted:

What happened with the Freelance Astronauts? Did Pipes! and Ferr stop making videos with Maxwell & Evek for some reason?

According to a co commentator...

Drakkel posted:

It's a really simple answer. People have lives outside of video games on the internet. Times change, sadly.

http://4ms.me/MpN95L

Apparently they're onto other things now. Bummer.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I'm not particularly mathematically gifted and I failed out of geometry twice in high school.

I want to build an a-frame chicken coop, and am trying to figure out how to cut the wood in order to get an equilateral triangle. I know all three angles have to equal 180 degrees, thus each corner is 60, but I can't figure out what angle to cut the the two top pieces of wood at. Here's a lovely drawing:

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp

Armed Neutrality posted:

I'm not particularly mathematically gifted and I failed out of geometry twice in high school.

I want to build an a-frame chicken coop, and am trying to figure out how to cut the wood in order to get an equilateral triangle. I know all three angles have to equal 180 degrees, thus each corner is 60, but I can't figure out what angle to cut the the two top pieces of wood at. Here's a lovely drawing:

It's just half the angle, so 30 degrees. (Between the top / outer edge and the vertical.)

edit: did you mean the bottom too? That should just be 60 the way you have it drawn, I think.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Armed Neutrality posted:

The wedge angle for each piece should be 30 degrees. The two wedges joined will add up to 60. To convince yourself that the void inside the wood is also angled 60 degrees, just picture stacking another pair of boards inside that void. If they're also cut to 30 degrees each, they'll fit exactly inside.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Thank you both very much, that clears it up and now it makes sense.:)

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Baron Porkface posted:

Has a member of the Republican or Democratic party ever been forcibly ejected, like ever? Not counting not-paying dues.

It doesn't work like that. For voters being a Democrat or a Republican means you say you are. In some localities you can register as one or the other so you can vote in their primaries but you don't have to pay dues and nobody can say you can't register the way you want.

Politicians run in whichever primary they want, if they win the party will decide how much they want to support them. Sometimes a party will withdraw support from a candidate they don't like for whatever reason but they still remain on the ballot as whatever.

Once elected they usually choose to organize with each other along party lines but they don't have to, they can leave people out, leave themselves out, or decide to go with another party entirely.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!
The only way to get "forcibly ejected" is to either not run in the primary, or lose the primary. The party executive committees may be able to call for a new primary, but if they still win then tough poo poo.

See also: Alvin Greene.

CubistK2
Sep 14, 2008
Hey if anyone knows how to get a live translation online, that would be great

I need to translate this into spanish:

Two best friends try and pull a bigfoot-like hoax in their hometown to spark a legend. One night it goes horribly awry.

It's for a synopsis submission. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
The English version could use work too, if it matters. "Try to" not "Try and" for starters.

Schweinhund fucked around with this message at 03:39 on Jul 3, 2012

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

CubistK2 posted:

No guarantees, but maybe if you ask nicely in the Spanish thread over in Science, Academics, and Languages?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

CubistK2 posted:

Hey if anyone knows how to get a live translation online, that would be great

Two best friends try and pull a bigfoot-like hoax in their hometown to spark a legend. One night it goes horribly awry.

It's for a synopsis submission. Any help would be greatly appreciated
A ver... Dos mejores amigos tratan de fabricar una broma pesada silimar a la de Bigfoot en su pueblo para crear una leyenda. Una noche se fracasa horriblemente.

Pero pregunta en el hilo referido arribita para otras rendiciones.

WillieWestwood fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Jul 3, 2012

Black Cat
Mar 22, 2012
Is the Nintendo DS a solid investment right now or is it about to be replaced by another system? I need some portable entertainment. I have books, but a little gaming system would be great. Smart phone apps just dont cut it.

dirby
Sep 21, 2004

Helping goons with math

Black Cat posted:

Is the Nintendo DS a solid investment right now or is it about to be replaced by another system? I need some portable entertainment. I have books, but a little gaming system would be great. Smart phone apps just dont cut it.

Do you mean the Nintendo 3DS, which replaced the Nintendo DS over a year ago? If so, yes, it's about to be replaced by the 3DS XL if you want larger screens and longer battery life.

However, if you've never played a DS game and don't care about being on the cutting edge, just pick up some original DS off of SA-Mart and have fun playing a bunch of games you missed for cheap.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

Liar posted:

Can anyone suggest some sites to get free children's educational games for a PC? I've Googled up a bunch, but many are either only trials or loaded with SpyWare. I'm trying to hook up my three-year-old niece with something to do while she spends the next three months in a cast.

I see no one answered you on this, so...

Edit: You will need internet access for these. I do not know of any that you can download and run offline though.

Most any of the children's TV networks all have games and stuff based on their characters. The majority of them involve educational stuff just like the shows do. My 3 & 4 year old girls both love playing the games on a variety of sites and learned quickly how to use the computer (mouse, keyboard, turning on and off the monitor & opening and closing the browser) because of them.

Disney

Disney Jr.

Nick Jr.

PBS Kids

Those are just a couple that I can think of. I just make a desktop shortcut to each one and they pick which they want to go to when they are allowed to play on the computer.

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
What's that site where you can design a shirt and sell it through that site? IIRC the site takes a cut and you get a cut whenever people buy the shirt and they take care of shipping/printing and all that stuff. Thanks in advance.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

thehandtruck posted:

What's that site where you can design a shirt and sell it through that site? IIRC the site takes a cut and you get a cut whenever people buy the shirt and they take care of shipping/printing and all that stuff. Thanks in advance.

http://www.cafepress.com ?

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I've heard rumor that some health insurance providers (USA) do not cover injuries sustained in a motorcycle accident. This sounds insane, but then again, insurance companies \/:shobon:\/
Is this true at all, and if so, I guess I'd find out by calling my provider?

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
How easy is it to upgrade RAM on a laptop and how likely am I to FUBAR my laptop in the process? I've currently got 4 GB (2 X 2) so is there really any particular upper limit I can upgrade to, costs aside?

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Both of those depend on what brand/model of laptop it is.

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

gooby on rails posted:

Both of those depend on what brand/model of laptop it is.

It's a Lenovo Ideapad Y560. Current ram is 4GB (2 X 2GB) PC3-8500 DDR3 1067MHz SDRAM SODIMM Memory, and I'm looking at this from the newegg sale.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
The path/driveway outside my house is a brick/flagstone/concrete combo which gets extremely slippery when it's wet, it's some kind of moss and slime combo, what's the best way to kill the moss and slime without killing the grass and make it non slippery?

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Centzon Totochtin posted:

It's a Lenovo Ideapad Y560. Current ram is 4GB (2 X 2GB) PC3-8500 DDR3 1067MHz SDRAM SODIMM Memory, and I'm looking at this from the newegg sale.

I found a user guide for your laptop model here:
http://download.lenovo.com/UserFile...uide%20V1.0.pdf

Chapter 6 has a section on how to replace the memory, it looks pretty straightforward, as long as you ground yourself properly before touching the ram or laptop I don't think there's much you can do wrong (but also try to be gentle).

HOWEVER Crucial suggests your laptop may only be able to take 8GB maximum ram
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=IdeaPad%20Y560%20%28All%20Types%29&Cat=RAM

Crankit fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jul 3, 2012

the
Jul 18, 2004

by Cowcaster
I want to sell my vinyl in SA-Mart, but shipping looks loving ridiculous!

A 300g package costs $25.00 to ship across the US?!

Am I missing something here or is there no way around it?

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Crankit posted:

The path/driveway outside my house is a brick/flagstone/concrete combo which gets extremely slippery when it's wet, it's some kind of moss and slime combo, what's the best way to kill the moss and slime without killing the grass and make it non slippery?

Get some moss-b-gone (no joke, it exists), it's a white powder that should kill it pretty quickly. It's not an herbicide as such, it's like zinc sulfate or something like that. Works well in my experience, though the moss will probably come back if you don't address the underlying moisture issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009

Crankit posted:

I found a user guide for your laptop model here:
http://download.lenovo.com/UserFile...uide%20V1.0.pdf

Chapter 6 has a section on how to replace the memory, it looks pretty straightforward, as long as you ground yourself properly before touching the ram or laptop I don't think there's much you can do wrong (but also try to be gentle).

HOWEVER Crucial suggests your laptop may only be able to take 8GB maximum ram
http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.aspx?model=IdeaPad%20Y560%20%28All%20Types%29&Cat=RAM

I see. Perhaps this would be more appropriate then?