Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
Not either of those... I feel like it's a specific term to describe a high level of accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wotan
Aug 15, 2009

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.
Confidence interval?

edit: Are you thinking of 5 sigma?

Wotan fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jul 17, 2012

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
That was it, thanks!

Fractial
Apr 28, 2005

When we spin we feel good.
What was the name of that Kung Fu/Martial Arts film that had a large wooden geodesic dome that the main actor fought on. The dome fell apart during the fight and there were dozens of cult like enemies the actor had to engage. This scene occurred near the end of the film.

I remember watching the movie around 8 years ago on a martial arts binge one of the less mainstream channels had going on.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

tarepanda posted:

That was it, thanks!

See also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Significant_figures

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

tarepanda posted:

Is there a word that describes the difference in accuracy between something like 98.5% and 99.9995% accuracy? I feel like there's a specific word or phrase that describes the latter accuracy, but nothing's coming to mind and google isn't yielding anything helpful.

Sometimes that second example might be referred to as "6 nines accuracy." 99.9999999% would be "nine nines." I've had engineering professors use that terminology. no idea if that's what you're looking for, though.

Edit: oops didn't realize there was another page and I was beaten. Still, good terminology to know I guess.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.
Do homeowners with hydro/cable/whatever boxes on their property collect a fee or get a discount from the appropriate company?

How do those boxes end up in people's yards? If the local hydro company just up and decided to install something in my front yard I think I'd have a big problem with it.

Pweller
Jan 25, 2006

Whatever whateva.

Fractial posted:

What was the name of that Kung Fu/Martial Arts film that had a large wooden geodesic dome that the main actor fought on. The dome fell apart during the fight and there were dozens of cult like enemies the actor had to engage. This scene occurred near the end of the film.

I remember watching the movie around 8 years ago on a martial arts binge one of the less mainstream channels had going on.

Maybe Ong Bak
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0368909/

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Pweller posted:

Do homeowners with hydro/cable/whatever boxes on their property collect a fee or get a discount from the appropriate company?

How do those boxes end up in people's yards? If the local hydro company just up and decided to install something in my front yard I think I'd have a big problem with it.

Almost never.

The boxes are usually put there when the area is being developed, you don't get a say. If they weren't there you couldn't get power.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream

That bothers me because I don't know how to handle sig figs in accuracy like this.

If I have two numbers with five sig figs and dividing them gets me .999995, then what do I do with that 5? Sig fig rules don't let me simply truncate it, giving me 99.999%, but simply rounding it up to 100% is bullshit, since 100% in QA is very different from 99.9995%.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Install Gentoo posted:

Almost never.

The boxes are usually put there when the area is being developed, you don't get a say. If they weren't there you couldn't get power.

I think they use Eminent Domain for it so utility workers can inspect cable lines and such.

Edit for dumb: VVVVV I was thinking of easements VVVVV

syscall girl fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 17, 2012

Base Emitter
Apr 1, 2012

?

Install Gentoo posted:

Almost never.

They're authorized by the easements and covenants which should be disclosed before you purchase the house. They may be very specific or very broad, and if they're broad enough you probably don't get a vote unless you want to waste your life and your money on lawyers.

Edit: US perspective.

snotball007
Dec 5, 2011

Disturbing in the least.
Is there any threads about podcasting? I remember one awhile back but can't seem to find it. Looking to get sponsors for a current podcast that I am a part of and wanted to get some more expertise from goons/knowledgeable individuals.

Fractial
Apr 28, 2005

When we spin we feel good.

No it was much older then that, possibly 80's or early 90's. However I did enjoy Ong Bak alot!

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.

tarepanda posted:

That bothers me because I don't know how to handle sig figs in accuracy like this.

If I have two numbers with five sig figs and dividing them gets me .999995, then what do I do with that 5? Sig fig rules don't let me simply truncate it, giving me 99.999%, but simply rounding it up to 100% is bullshit, since 100% in QA is very different from 99.9995%.

Using 5 significant figures 99.9995% is identical to 100.00%. If that 00.0005% is statistically significant, you'd have more than 5 figures worth of significance with which to report it.

Realistically, you're not often going to see results that conclusive, so it's kind of a moot point.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Fractial posted:

I was reminded of Tai Chi Master (Also called Twin Warriors or something I think), but it's not a dome. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9MBldPhHGE

edit: Fong Sai Yuk, 1 and 2, both had similar endings.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jul 17, 2012

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

snotball007 posted:

Is there any threads about podcasting? I remember one awhile back but can't seem to find it. Looking to get sponsors for a current podcast that I am a part of and wanted to get some more expertise from goons/knowledgeable individuals.

There's a whole subforum:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=255

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I've noticed that food in my refrigerator isn't staying fresh quite as long as it should. Two separate thermometers say the internal temperature is between 16 and 20 c. After clearing everything out and defrosting the temp is staying the same but some milk I bought lasted the night. I'm beginning to think the thermometers are just off. Would milk really keep for 12 hours at that temperature?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I've noticed that food in my refrigerator isn't staying fresh quite as long as it should. Two separate thermometers say the internal temperature is between 16 and 20 c. After clearing everything out and defrosting the temp is staying the same but some milk I bought lasted the night. I'm beginning to think the thermometers are just off. Would milk really keep for 12 hours at that temperature?

Thats like low room temperature. Was the milk opened before you left it in there over the night? Was it in a tetra pack? You can keep milk in those for a long time without refrigerating.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Helios Grime posted:

Thats like low room temperature. Was the milk opened before you left it in there over the night? Was it in a tetra pack? You can keep milk in those for a long time without refrigerating.

Seriously, you may as well just leave poo poo on the counter at that temp. 20C is like a British heatwave. 1-5 is the recommended temp for a fridge.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Base Emitter posted:

They're authorized by the easements and covenants which should be disclosed before you purchase the house. They may be very specific or very broad, and if they're broad enough you probably don't get a vote unless you want to waste your life and your money on lawyers.

Edit: US perspective.

This, and ask someone who has a public sidewalk across their property about having to carry the surplus liability for it. Can't tear it up, or restrict acess, and yet they are liable for injuries that occur on it.

I wonder if the utility companies liability insurance covers the owners of the property for Utility boxes.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Milk should be kept at about 4°c. If your fridge won't go that low, it's broken. If you're deliberately keeping it at 16° or more, why?

Pogo the Clown
Sep 5, 2007
Spoke to the devil the other day

Craptacular posted:

At what distance are metal detectors functional? I'm talking about the kind old guys use at the beach, not the airport kind. Let's say for detecting a 5 lb mass of metal.

This varies A LOT depending on heaps of stuff like size of the detector coil, type of metal, type of soil (or sand), amount of water in the soil, etc.

This FAQ on the White's Metal Detectors site has a pretty good explanation.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Please describe step by step how you are measuring your fridge temperature, those temps don't sound right, and I'm thinking there's some experimental error here.

Also as per above there are things like UHT milk which don't require refrigeration in order to avoid spoilage.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Crankit posted:

Please describe step by step how you are measuring your fridge temperature, those temps don't sound right, and I'm thinking there's some experimental error here.

Also as per above there are things like UHT milk which don't require refrigeration in order to avoid spoilage.

I bought two different thermometers because I didn't quite believe the first one but they both read the same temperature. I'm just setting them in the refrigerator, different shelves get slightly different readings but they're all in the same ballpark. I'm having somebody come out to take a look at it eventually but that's complicated by reasons not worth going into. I thought the milk might be a sanity check. It's not the ultra-long shelf life stuff that you can keep in your cupboard. It might be some whiz-bang packaging though. It looks normal but this is Switzerland and they take milk seriously. It expires on the 10th of August which seemed a little far in the future but I've never really paid that much attention to be honest.

AKA Pseudonym fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Jul 17, 2012

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Crankit posted:

Doesn't UHT need to be refrigerated after opening?

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Tiggum posted:

That is correct, it spoils the same like normal milk once opened.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I bought two different thermometers because I didn't quite believe the first one but they both read the same temperature. I'm just setting them in the refrigerator, different shelves get slightly different readings but they're all in the same ballpark. I'm having somebody come out to take a look at it eventually but that's complicated by reasons not worth going into. I thought the milk might be a sanity check. It's not the ultra-long shelf life stuff that you can keep in your cupboard. It might be some whiz-bang packaging though. It looks normal but this is Switzerland and they take milk seriously. It expires on the 10th of August which seemed a little far in the future but I've never really paid that much attention to be honest.

Well, I was a bit surprised as those temps are what my house usually is, I assume the thermometer is the kind that you would immerse in water to measure its temp as opposed to say those thermometers you point at things. Might try leaving a small glass of water in ther overnight with the thermometer in it. Also have a look at the seal on the door and see if any of it looks squashed from having closed on something?

Tiggum posted:

Uh yes :shobon:

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Let's use our brains here for a minute. 20 °C is basically room temperature. Does it feel cold inside the refrigerator? Put a glass of water inside for a couple hours, and then compare it to a glass straight from the tap. Does it feel colder?

WillieWestwood
Jun 23, 2004

Happy Thanksgiving!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I'm having somebody come out to take a look at it eventually
I don't think that's necessary. I mean, if the lower temp is 16°C, you're going to replace the fridge anyway. As mentioned above, 5°C is about as warm as a fridge should get.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

I'm looking for a list I saw once of common phrases in scientific writing, and some substitutes for them.
So like if I find myself starting too many sentences with "Therefore," this document had appropriate alternate suggestions.
Anyone know of this document?

stubblyhead posted:

Let's use our brains here for a minute. 20 °C is basically room temperature. Does it feel cold inside the refrigerator? Put a glass of water inside for a couple hours, and then compare it to a glass straight from the tap. Does it feel colder?

Good suggestion, but do not compare it to a glass from the tap. Compare it to a glass that has been sitting out in the room. Tap water can be as cold as 12 C or so.

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

Transition is a more general term for this sort of thing.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK
So I'm returning to the States from Italy in a little over a week. What food items can I bring back with me? How much alcohol (wine and spirits) can I bring back without having to pay duties?

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

spregalia posted:

So I'm returning to the States from Italy in a little over a week. What food items can I bring back with me? How much alcohol (wine and spirits) can I bring back without having to pay duties?

you can bring back as much booze as you'd like. provided it is in your stomach.

If my googling is correct, you can bring back 1 liter for personal use without paying duties. This link could be helpful.

miryei
Oct 11, 2011
As far as alcohol, it's a liquid, so keep in mind that if you have connecting flights, you may need to go through security again at your connection. This will always be the case at a connection where you arrived from a country different than the one the airport is in.

Nickelodeon Household
Apr 11, 2010

I like chocolate MIIIILK

miryei posted:

As far as alcohol, it's a liquid, so keep in mind that if you have connecting flights, you may need to go through security again at your connection. This will always be the case at a connection where you arrived from a country different than the one the airport is in.

I'm putting it in my checked bag.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

miryei posted:

I was flying back from France, and the guy in front of me in security bought a bottle of Johnny Walker Black in the Paris airport, and was forced to throw it away. Poor guy was almost in tears.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
Does anyone know where I could get a map of Newark, New Jersey online? I'm running a virtual tabletop campaign and wanted to use a map my players and I could scribbles notes on. All I can find are maps of Essex County and Google Maps.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

saberwulf posted:

Does anyone know where I could get a map of Newark, New Jersey online? I'm running a virtual tabletop campaign and wanted to use a map my players and I could scribbles notes on. All I can find are maps of Essex County and Google Maps.

You might be able to get a map of just the city itself from the city hall/city government. Would probably need to find who to email or call over there.

Is there any reason that Google Maps doesn't work though? It's not too hard to save the map of the area and draw a line over the borders.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

saberwulf posted:

A major library branch in a city will probably have a really intense map department.