Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ironza
Jul 10, 2012

We'll bang, OK?
Just finished reading Galaxy in Flames of the Horus Heresy series. An excellent read, in fact the whole series so far has been superb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I just polished off Don Winslow's Savages in a couple of sittings. The story is pretty much what you would expect from a Mexican vs. American drug war. Winslow's writing style is really cool and allows you to place yourself in an Orange County house paid for in $14 million in drug money. I'm definitely going to pick up the prequel The Kings of Cool tomorrow after work.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

nate fisher posted:

It has been decades since I read it but I remember Night Shift was pretty excellent (I think preferred the Skelton Crew collection more). Last Rung on the Ladder was pretty awesome. Also cool stories that are connected to Salem's Lot (Jerusalem's Lot and One for the Road) and the Stand (Night Surf). I think my favorite short story by King is the Jaunt (which is in Skeleton Crew). It really messed with my young mind. .

Skeleton Crew is definitely his best collection. It contains his four most hosed up, disturbing horror stories: The Mist, The Jaunt, Survivor Type, and The Raft. Plus many other good stories. Brilliant collection.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
I just finished Redshirts and Year Zero, and I have to say I'm getting pretty tired of hipster fiction.

I know some people here love Redshirts but it takes something that could have been interesting "what everyone that isn't a space captian/adventure in Scifi does" and instead makes it worse. I was very disappointed.

Year Zero was simply someone trying to be Douglas Adams and failing.

I'm also reading the Sonchai Jitpleecheep mystery series which I'm really enjoying. I only have one book in the series left and I don't know what to read next.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

sbaldrick posted:

I'm also reading the Sonchai Jitpleecheep mystery series which I'm really enjoying. I only have one book in the series left and I don't know what to read next.

You can try Christopher G. Moore's Vincent Calvino books, about an American ex-pat PI in Bangkok. Not as well written as the Jitpleecheep books, but still lots of fun.

Just finished Douglas Hubbard's How to Measure Anything: Finding the Value of Intangibles in Business. I'm not a business man or a manager, the intended audience of this book, but I am interested in subjective measurements and their applications in performance forecasting. There was quite a lot of that in this book. But the overall businessy tone and focus really creeped me out, like attending an amway meeting or something.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Aethersphere posted:

Just finished Ready Player One by Ernest Cline.

I just...I couldn't do it. Every page had to have at least three references to some facet of nerdery. Any book with the line "smooth move, ex-lax" in it and clumsy writing centred around the ability of nerds to have gundam fights and do a perfect game of pac man is just impossible to me. I also could never figure out who it was supposed to be written for - it was written as if for the YA market, but nobody under 30 could really fully grasp the references within. It was just a bit confused. I think you can either switch your brain off and just get immersed by it and love it, or you are bitter and picky like me and hate it. I dunno.

It's just a fun bit of cyberpunkish sci-fi, and a love letter to nerds old enough to remember the 80s. I fit into that category, didn't try to take the book too seriously, and I found it a delightful read. My guess is it feels like a YA novel because it wants to take the target demographic (aging nerds) back to our own comings-of-age.*

For anyone who wants serious contemporary issues in their teenage computer-nerd dramas, check out Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. (The author's a huge advocate of copyright reform, so he has the book available as a free ebook download.) After reading it, my main regret was that I don't know any nerdy thirteen-year-olds to give it to.

* edit: Or maybe we're all just manchildren.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
The Artificial Kid - Bruce Sterling

Sterling's second book, a sci-fi novel about a 'combat artist' (celebrity street fighter who films and broadcasts his fights) who becomes embroiled in a political conspiracy and ends up in a blood feud with the planet's ruling party.

Like Sterling's other books, there's some great world-building in this novel but there is a huge narrative crammed into a relatively short novel (~200 pages). I would have liked to read an entire novel about the Artifical Kid's life as a combat fighter then a second novel about his fight with the government and subsequent personal evolution rather than trying to cram all the establishing information into the first 50 pages and then having the rest of the novel barrel along at breakneck pace while the author tries to give equal focus to both the character's journey and the way they cope with the events going on around them.

All that aside, this is still a fantastic sci-fi novel and I would recommend it wholeheartedly.

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

I just finished the 10th or whatever book in the Anita Blake series and it has completely spiraled into the protagonist humping everything that moves. It's like one page of development followed by 3 pages of descriptive humping. The writing has gotten steadily worse and the plot thinner. The first three books are decent for trash fantasy but holy hell, stay away from everything else.

If you want lighthearted detective fantasy just stick to Glen Cook's Garret, P.I. or that other modern noir one.

DNK fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 17, 2012

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Applesmack posted:

Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson. Amazing book; almost flawless. I loved the magic system, the characters, the universe and Sanderson's writing style. He definitely can write some awesome action scenes. There is no pretentious writing to be found and every scene he writes sticks clearly in your mind. My only issue with the book is the pacing at the end. Although I generally appreciated the fast pace through most of the story I think they rushed the ending a little bit. Everything was wrapped up from a seemingly hopeless defeat to a total victory in a span of about 50 pages and the final fight was slightly underwhelming. But outside of that, great job Sanderson! Already started on Well of the Ascension.

Make sure to real Elantris if you haven't already.

...and Brandon Sanderson is absolutely killing the final books of The Wheel of Time. Just complete and utter perfect orchestration of everything Robert Jordan built up in the first 10 (11?) books. I don't know if you have the gusto to read through that entire series, but if you're willing just start with book 5 (I think everything before 5 is prequel status) and move from there.

Jordan has some writing tics and is awfully long-winded about some things, but coming from someone who blows through books like they're nothing I can appreciate some padding.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

The Time Traveler's Guide to Medieval England (Ian Mortimer). A light read about daily life in England in the 14th century. Nothing annoying, but no revelations, either. Though it is quite the good source, there is a ton from Canterbury Tales in here.

All Quiet on the Western Front (Erich Maria Remarque). If you're interested in war, especially World War I and have not read this, well this is an absolute necessity. The writing (or should I say, the translation) is not sophisticated in terms of big words used. It's something a teenager could understand at face value. But if you've read and/or seen war stuff, this will dig you right to the bone, especially when you're reminded of Paul's age and many of the scenes, including one where he goes home and looks at the books he used to love, thumbs through them and can't enjoy them because the war has taken away who he used to be. An absolute classic.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

DNK posted:

...and Brandon Sanderson is absolutely killing the final books of The Wheel of Time. Just complete and utter perfect orchestration of everything Robert Jordan built up in the first 10 (11?) books. I don't know if you have the gusto to read through that entire series, but if you're willing just start with book 5 (I think everything before 5 is prequel status) and move from there.

Sorry, but I have to say that's some totally bad advice. Also, the Sanderson-penned WoT books are nowhere close to the good Jordan WoT books, but they're a significant improvement over the last few Jordan books (and I'm well aware of Jordan's ((and/or his editor's)) shortcomings).

For content, a few people have mentioned Year Zero, which I finished a little while back. I think maybe it was straining to be funny/Hitchiker's Guide at points, and I really disliked one of the main characters (Carly), but overall it was a pretty entertaining and easy read that did manage to make me laugh aloud twice, which is saying something. Not a hardback purchase, though- definitely library or paperback.

What else...? Ben Winters' The Last Policeman, about an inexperienced police detective in New Hampshire trying to take his job seriously in the face of an impending, life-on-Earth-destroying meteor strike. The setting is interesting, sort of like The Children of Men (the book, not the movie), but the central mystery is fairly limp and honestly kind of hard to care about.

Speaking of which, I (mostly) loved Keigo Higashino's The Devotion of Suspect X, but his forthcoming Salvation of a Saint was pretty big letdown. It follows pretty much the exact same pattern- impossible-to-solve murder by known killer, inept detective falling for lady suspect, genius physicist figures poo poo out and blows everyone's minds- but is in this case totally unbelievable and pretty much exists solely for the "aha!" moment. I hope he's not busting out an M Night Shyamalan, doing the same thing over and over to diminishing returns.

Maybe not on goon radars, but I also hated Matthew Green's Memoir of an Imaginary Friend. Now, I was down with the concept- imaginary friends are real and interact with one another, and Budo, whose human friend is autistic, shares his perspective on life- but the MacGuffin is totally ludicrous and changes the book from something thoughtful and mildly original (anybody on goodreads who says "OMG so original" has never read Curious Incident...) into a fairly silly thriller with some unbelievable character development. It's quite emotionally manipulative, though, so a lot of people are gonna love it.

I mean to post more ARCs, but don't want to do it too early and then I tend to forget by the time the book rolls around.

RebBrownies
Aug 16, 2011

Finished God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. While the book continuously encouraged my atheism, I felt incredibly stupid by the end of it since I couldn't remember any supporting arguments that he made. I wish I had a flashcard version or something.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
2312, Kim Stanley Robinson. Five stars. Prepare for gushing praise:

me on goodreads posted:

Right off the bat: this is probably the best science fiction book I've ever read. I cannot possibly give this book enough praise, but let me ramble a bit:

It's an absolute masterpiece, so dense with world building and SF ideas and amazing characterisation. It's this century's Dune. It's a loving tribute to science and ecology and art and music and our solar system and our species. It's a brilliant love story.

The book has roughly a short story worth of plot, but a whole trilogy worth of ideas and imagery and detail. The plot is secondary, almost unimportant, to the setting, the science, and the relationship between the two main characters. I loved these characters. They felt so real. The exploration of gender and sex and sexuality in the future was also really fascinating.

The pace is meditatively slow. Anyone reading the blurb and expecting a thriller/mystery and a fast-paced ride through the solar system will be disappointed. This book needs to be savoured, a few pages at a time. The excerpts and lists and random chunks interspersed with the narrative are just as enthralling as the narrative itself.

Kim Stanley Robinson has made me fall in love with our solar system, has given me hope for the future of humanity, and has made me wish I knew more about classical music. I have found an author whose entire back catalogue I must devour now.

Okay I think that's enough gushing.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Hedrigall posted:

I dug this, too, and feel almost exactly the same way about it, but one would be remiss not to mention how much this book owes to Arthur C Clarke in terms of its appreciation and contemplation of the solar system. I can imagine some people having a tough time getting into the book because of Swan, who's not terribly sympathetic, but she does turn out to be an incredibly interesting character.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

Hedrigall posted:

Just out of interest, what was your favourite sci-fi book before you read 2312?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Just out of interest, what was your favourite sci-fi book before you read 2312?

Well I haven't read a lot of scifi, especially the classics, with some exceptions (Dune recently, Brave New World at high school). I only got into scifi in a big way in the last few years, and have been focusing mostly on space-set fiction written from about the 70s to the present. Looking back over my goodreads lists, my very top favorites along with 2312 would have to be Revelation Space, A Fire Upon The Deep, and Dune.

Varicose Brains
Apr 10, 2008

RebBrownies posted:

Finished God Is Not Great by Christopher Hitchens. While the book continuously encouraged my atheism, I felt incredibly stupid by the end of it since I couldn't remember any supporting arguments that he made. I wish I had a flashcard version or something.

I had this exact same experience after I finished reading that book. I just couldn't remember much of what he had written. All I remember now is some stuff about some guy called Maimonides, cargo cult religions (or something like that) and Japanese Buddhists being quite nasty during WW2. I remember that it was a very eloquently written book, but I just don't remember anything specific from it.

And now that I think about it, I'm having the same trouble remembering anything from Dawkins' "The God Delusion".

Samtron75v1
May 8, 2012
I just finished The Shining. One of the best books I've read in a while. I think I'll read 'Salems Lot next.

Quinn2win
Nov 9, 2011

Foolish child of man...
After reading all this,
do you still not understand?

Samtron75v1 posted:

I just finished The Shining. One of the best books I've read in a while. I think I'll read 'Salems Lot next.

The Shining is probably my favorite book of all time.

On a related King note, I just finished Night Shift, a very satisfying experience. The stories included covered a lot of territory, from over-the-top goofy horror to poignant realistic tragedy, most done masterfully. My favorites of the collection were I Am the Doorway, Trucks, Quitters Inc, The Last Rung on the Ladder, and The Woman in the Room. Not many fell flat, but I wasn't especially impressed with Sometimes They Come Back or the 'Salem's Lot tie-in stories.

Is there a Short Stories Thread in this forum? There should be a Short Stories Thread.

For my next read, I'll be taking a dip into nonfiction as suggested in the Feminism thread with The Gender Knot.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I’ll continue the Stephen King run we got going here: As of less than one hour ago I am now someone who has read The Stand.

This is only the fourth Stephen King book I’ve ever read as I’m in the process of reading through (most of) the King bibliography for the first time in chronological order. Of the ones I’d read so far Salem’s Lot was an easy favorite, but now I’m not so sure anymore. The Stand took a while to grab me as I thought it tried to tell too many stories involving to many different characters. I’ll admit that it didn’t help that I was taking my time reading it and was having some trouble remembering the particulars whenever we bounced back to some character I hadn’t read about in weeks. The turning point was the moment when the characters that so far had been off in their separate storylines finally (and inevitably) started to meet each other. While it took me months to read the first quarter of the book (one of those months was admittedly an extended break so that I could study for three exams, but the point still stands…), I read the rest of it in four days. I was hooked.

Not really going to go into details about why the book is great and why it is currently doing battle in my head with Salem’s Lot for the title of ‘Favorite Stephen King book’, since I won’t say anything someone hasn’t said before. I’ll just say that it has multiple characters I adore deeply and that I’m very sad that I won’t get to spend any more time with them. And it made me cry, which isn’t really that hard, but it still counts for something. It’s a fantastic book and I’m pretty sure that when I reread it (because I definitely will) I will even love the first quarter now that I can appreciate who the various characters in the large cast are from the very beginning.

Also, I knew The Stand was Damon Lindelof’s favorite King book and that it had some influence on LOST (my favorite tv show of all time), but the lineage was clearer than I ever could have imagined. I can see the influence of The Stand all over LOST and now being able to spot this in itself made the read worthwhile.

Moving on to The Dead Zone.

Hansen85 fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Jul 20, 2012

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've just finished reading The Power That Preserves by Stephen Donaldson, which ended surprisingly conclusively, as I had thought that only the second and third chronicles (with the last of the third chronicles being written now) were conclusive, from what the book said about him failing several times before defeating Foul. Although I've started the second chronicles now, and it certainly seems like he's got some work ahead of him!

Varicose Brains
Apr 10, 2008

Major Isoor posted:

I've just finished reading The Power That Preserves by Stephen Donaldson, which ended surprisingly conclusively, as I had thought that only the second and third chronicles (with the last of the third chronicles being written now) were conclusive, from what the book said about him failing several times before defeating Foul. Although I've started the second chronicles now, and it certainly seems like he's got some work ahead of him!

Donaldson has admitted that after finishing the First Chronicles, he never intended to revisit the series. From his website - http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/fromtheauthor/index.php -;

quote:

Actually, I've had the story for "The Last Chronicles" in mind for at least 25 years. When I first began to imagine "The Second Chronicles of Thomas Covenant," the ideas for this final project struck me at the same time. As a result, while I was writing "The Second Chronicles" I was able to prepare the way for "The Last Chronicles" by creating all of the loose ends and back doors I would need.

When I wrote the original "Covenant" trilogy, I had no intention of pursuing either the characters or the setting further. The story seemed complete to me as it stood. But my editor at that time was Lester del Rey, and he was the King of Sequels. As soon as I finished working on The Power that Preserves, he began to push for more "Covenant." Ignoring my protests, he tried to prod me by sending me ideas for a second trilogy. Well, these ideas were all bad (I thought they were inherently bad, but they may simply have been bad because they weren't mine). And they got worse as Lester pushed harder. Finally he succeeded at sending me an idea so bad that before I could stop myself I thought, "No, that's terrible, what I really ought to do is--" And there, almost involuntarily, I conceived the stories for both "The Second Chronicles" and "The Last Chronicles."

As I imagined it at the time, "The Second Chronicles" was a logical extension of the first "Covenant" trilogy. In the same way, "The Last Chronicles" is a logical extension of the second.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Bossypants by Tina Fey. 4 stars.

I'm a fan of 30 Rock and this was as funny as I expected it to be (IE: extremely loving funny!)

But it felt a little light on content, and too short overall. I think this really should have been two separate books: one as an autobiography type book, focusing on her life and working for SNL and 30 Rock and so on; and the other as a loose collection of funny musings and advice, etc. I'd love to read a full length book about the making of 30 Rock in particular, with way more about the writing and production of the show. It sounds like a hilarious place to work.

I might try the audiobook of this in a few months, as I've heard it's incredibly good.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Death By Chocolate posted:

Donaldson has admitted that after finishing the First Chronicles, he never intended to revisit the series. From his website - http://www.stephenrdonaldson.com/fromtheauthor/index.php -;

Yeah, that seems about right. However I didn't know that it was his editor that pushed him to do another trilogy - I thought he must've finished The First Chronicles, then after a while decided to make another one, I guess. Regardless, it's definitely good to see that he knew how he was intending to end The Last Chronicles when he started the Second, as opposed to just tacking a conclusion on, or something. Thanks for the link! It's definitely made me want to get The Last Chronicles when he's finished!

Also, I've read that he's done another series, called "The Gap Cycle" I believe. I know it's supposed to be pretty different to the Covenant books, but is it any good? The fact that the roles in the series apparently keep changing (e.g. Hero > victim > villain sort of thing, I guess) is interesting, but how does it all hold up? Is it still of a the quality of the Covenant books, or does it fall short?

Thanks (And sorry if I shouldn't be asking about that in this thread; I just figured that you might know, and thought I'd ask!)

furiouskoala
Aug 4, 2007
I just finished Running With Scissors by Augusten Burroughs. It was both hilarious and depressing, a punch in the gut that makes you laugh. I am going to read everything this man has written!

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...
Just finished "Untouchable" by Scott O'Connor (ebook link)

It was... amazing. Plot was solid, pacing was solid, twist was solid, but what had me hooked was the language.

It's got the gritty feel of Sin City and Chandler, although it isn't a crime novel or even a mystery. It's pure noir, one of the finest examples I've ever seen. Wonderful read.

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Major Isoor posted:

Also, I've read that he's done another series, called "The Gap Cycle" I believe. I know it's supposed to be pretty different to the Covenant books, but is it any good? The fact that the roles in the series apparently keep changing (e.g. Hero > victim > villain sort of thing, I guess) is interesting, but how does it all hold up? Is it still of a the quality of the Covenant books, or does it fall short?

I've read the first book of the The Gap cycle and decided not to go any further. This was a while ago, but I remember it as being all pretty grimy, rapey, everyone is an anti-hero, yadda yadda. While I thought this worked with Covenant or was at least justified, that didn't happen here and the overall story wasn't compelling enough to make me go on and the universe drawn wasn't so interesting.

No doubt someone will chip in with "it really picks up around book 3". But there's plenty of other books in the world to read.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

outlier posted:

I've read the first book of the The Gap cycle and decided not to go any further. This was a while ago, but I remember it as being all pretty grimy, rapey, everyone is an anti-hero, yadda yadda. While I thought this worked with Covenant or was at least justified, that didn't happen here and the overall story wasn't compelling enough to make me go on and the universe drawn wasn't so interesting.

No doubt someone will chip in with "it really picks up around book 3". But there's plenty of other books in the world to read.

I second this--I found it ponderous and draggy, and couldn't get through the second book.

Skavoovee
Oct 2, 2006

by SA Support Robot
I just finished Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. I know that a lot of people here like it, but I didn't enjoy it as much or find it as nearly compelling as his short story collection Nocturnes.

I thought a lot of it was pretty rambling, and when the plot moved forward I found it hard to appreciate most of what Kath was going through. She and the rest of her classmates just seemed to not get what was going on in their world. I realize they were raised that way, with certain expectations for themselves, but it seemed really weird to me that none of them bothered to try to connect with the world outside their own.

I did really like how slowly the concept of donations took to come out. That little mystery was the main force keeping me reading.

That said, I thought the love story between her and Tommy was very touching, especially near the end. Ishiguro invented a weird little world and, despite how OK most of the donors seemed with what they had to do, it can't have been easy for Kath to be a carer for so long. Without spoiling too much, I'm glad they got the little bit of time they did.

I was initially going to give it a 3/5, but after reading the ending I bumped it up to a 4.

Skavoovee fucked around with this message at 20:53 on Jul 21, 2012

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

outlier posted:

Zola posted:

I second this--I found it ponderous and draggy, and couldn't get through the second book.

Hm, alright then, thanks for the warning, you two. Since I read a bit about it, and they said it was an interesting concept, and that there was indeed a point where there was sexual abuse, but I guess I thought it must've been at least somewhat justified/not-as-bad-as-it-looks like the incident in the Covenant books. v:shobon:v Guess I'll avoid it at this point, and just read what I've got.

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

Finished 2666 again the other day. I enjoyed it much more the second time, even though it impressed me the first read as well. His prose is a bit irritating at times, but taken as a whole and in reflection of the narrative he frames for the whole book, a bleak, dreamlike narrative, it works really well and has to be finished to be appreciated. Definitely on my "read every couple of years" shelf.

A lot of people say it's too depressing to finish, and I can understand that. But even though the part about Ansky almost brings me to tears, the resolve it gives Archimboldi in the midst of the hell he is experiencing is so inspiring to me.

Suntory BOSS
Apr 17, 2006

I just tore through Robopocalypse in anticipation of the upcoming Spielberg adaptation. I was hoping for Jurassic Park with robots, but got something like a watered-down, poorly written, SyFy channel version of World War Z... with robots.

In a nutshell, I was disappointed by the lack of originality (it reads like a Terminator fanfic in which somebody Find/Replaced all the Skynet/Terminator references with 'Archos' and 'robot'), the cliched characters (peppy youth, earnest soldier, wacky Japanese, noble Indian warrior), the plot holes (why don't the AI ever use bioweapons?!), the way a global war affecting every human on the planet is told through the eyes of just a handful of people... all of who just happen to be somehow related. I wanted to like it, I was primed to enjoy myself, but it was treading the same path as other fiction without bringing any new depth to the table. I see that the Robopocalypse author also wrote 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising', so I guess he's trying to be the Max Brooks of robots? Most of the 32 1-Star reviews on Amazon make the same points, albeit more eloquently, so I know it's not just me.

It was a bad book and the movie will be bad :reject:

edit; on an unrelated note, anybody here read Koji Suzuki's Edge?

Suntory BOSS fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jul 23, 2012

oddspelling
May 31, 2009

Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment

Beastie posted:

I just polished off Don Winslow's Savages in a couple of sittings. The story is pretty much what you would expect from a Mexican vs. American drug war. Winslow's writing style is really cool and allows you to place yourself in an Orange County house paid for in $14 million in drug money. I'm definitely going to pick up the prequel The Kings of Cool tomorrow after work.

Whatever you do, don't see the movie. It's pure poo poo.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Felt like some light reading and mowed down I Suck at Girls by Justin Halpern in an afternoon. It was exactly what I expected: the entertainment value was directly proportional to his dad's involvement in any given chapter. The first half of the book (basically a pure sequel to poo poo My Dad Says, sharing stories from the author's childhood) was at least an LOL per page; the second half (the author's reminiscing about his sexual experiences after high school) was somewhere between "dull" and "extremely dull". The theme is actually "I used to suck at girls, but since I figured out what I want now I'm better" but in all candor after finishing the book, my opinion is the title is accurate; he sucks at girls.

Basically Halpern's strengths are (a) his dad, who I now believe must be real or mostly real because I doubt Halpern could come up with this stuff all on his own, and (b) he does a passable Dave Barry impersonation on the particular literary skill of coming up with humorously ridiculous analogies.

This book can easily be read in 2-3 hours and is less worth keeping around for a quick yuk than its predecessor.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I think the most recent books I finished were Dubliners and A Portrait Of the Artist As A Young Man by James Joyce. They were interesting to read. Maybe a little different for me.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Elmore Leonard's City Primeval, just a short little crime novel. Wanted to take a break from the heavier stuff, and I found it to be pretty gripping right from the beginning, and there was a great crescendo of tension by the end. My first book of his, but I'll probably be reading some more. It's nice to balance the heavy with the light from time to time.

The Polish Pirate
Apr 4, 2005

How many Polacks does it take to captain a pirate ship? One.
Just polished off the Mistborn trilogy. After reading through Hunger Games as my last trilogy, it was really nice to read something with a sensible plot that seemed planned in advance.

I wish that Sanderson and Mieville were one writer. The former is really good about creating sympathetic characters and are deep and you care about and the latter is a fantastic world builder. I feel like a mix of Bas-Lag and Mistborn could be really amazing.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
The only thing I wish Mieville took from Sanderson was his publishing schedule.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
Just finished Ghost In The Wires, after seeing someone mention it in this thread.

To call the writing style deadpan would be an understatement, but Kevin Mitnick's life is just so fascinating that you keep turning pages (or pressing the page advance button).

It's easy to see why this guy was so good at what he did; a fearlessly confident social engineer with the computer chops to make magical things happen. Some of the stuff he pulled off in the wild west days of computers is amazing, nevermind some of the more "Catch Me If You Can" stuff in identity theft and vanishing acts.

Really great read.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siggers
Oct 4, 2011
Carte Blanche by Jeffrey Deaver,

New 007 book (not my usual type I must admit) not to bad, missing some darker bits but if your a fan of that type of genre (Childs,Ludlum etc) it's not to bad to lose yourself in for a couple of hours,