Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

So they are even more annoyingly mentally deficient than a lot of the animals we've managed to domesticate, is what you are saying.

My goats make my sheep look like goddamn geniuses. Sheep. At least the woolies will go outside without me having to drag them.

The sheep figured out how to get under my fencing. The goats tried to follow and got hopelessly tangled. One got tangled 3 times in 10 minutes. I kept getting her out, turning my back, and then she would be hogtied again. Then once they are tangled they just assume they are going to die and turn into a big goat puddle so good luck trying to manipulate them enough to get them out of the fencing without having to cut them out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Every morning I need to shove my landlady's goats away from my car so I can back out. Not politely wave them away, not give them a light tap on the bum, shove. And even then they're so drat confused about what I want.

Lefty Lugubrious
Apr 30, 2006

2tomorrow posted:

So finding the perfect squeaky toy for George has become a bit of an obsession for me. He's very picky about the sound but now I have a good idea of what he loves. Any time I am in a store with a dog toy aisle I find myself systematically working my way down it, squeaking anything that's big enough. I have developed an ear for squeaks like wine connoisseurs develop their palates. Then once I find a promising candidate I evaluate it carefully, trying to figure out if it will last more than one training session, if it has the appropriate squish factor, if it's big enough for him to really get a good bite on. More often than not, I put it back.

I only realized how weird this is today when I spent about 20 minutes doing this at Target. The girl who was stocking the aisle looked at me like I was mad. I wanted to tell her that this was nothing, she should have seen me the time I spent 2 hours toy shopping at Petsmart.

I do the same thing. It's not weird. :colbert:

Ivan's favorite squeaky toy is Squeaker Snake. He doesn't like rubber toys, they have to be plush. But a true plush toy is destroyed within minutes of being in our house, so I went on a quest for the perfect stuffing-free "plush" toy that also squeaks. So far, Squeaker Snake has held up well.

Kyjen Invincible Snake

I got it at PetSmart. Each section of snake has a squeaker in it. Instead of stuffing it's like a plastic bottle-type material. As far as sound, I'd say it's the alto of the squeaky toys. I don't know if that's what Ivan prefers, but it's definitely what *I* prefer.

This was the original plush snake he loved. A "true plush" if you will. It lasted about a week.

This plush bone lasted as long as the car drive from PetSmart. I left him alone with it to take a shower. When I returned, he had already disemboweled it.

Lefty Lugubrious fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jul 26, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

Official Bizness posted:

Every morning I need to shove my landlady's goats away from my car so I can back out. Not politely wave them away, not give them a light tap on the bum, shove. And even then they're so drat confused about what I want.

That's why you need to get yourself some herding dawgs.

They're useful sometimes. There my dog is actually waiting for some cues for once instead of being a lazy bum.

Topoisomerase posted:

Reading 2tomorrow's post made me very happy to be the owner of a deaf dog for a moment.

Want to trade? Look, I even found a picture for you guys:

That was fairly quick after we got him the first time, if I remember right. He's kind of skinny and sad-looking still. edit: but then again for a little bit he got kind of skinny and sad-looking every time he hit a growth spurt no matter how much you fed him, so I'm not 100% sure. It's an old photo though.

(just kidding i am not giving that dog up)

2tomorrow fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jul 26, 2012

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation

wtftastic posted:

So they are even more annoyingly mentally deficient than a lot of the animals we've managed to domesticate, is what you are saying.

Once, my buck (the same one with the paint fetish) got under a fence to where my horse was eating his grain. I went to go get him, but before I could make it he managed to butt my giant, cranky gelding away from his bucket and cram his head into it.

My gelding didn't like this, and bit him. He just yelled and kept eating. So, the horse whipped around and kicked him square in the side and sent him flying, right around the time I made it to where they were. I thought surely he had killed my goat, but he immediately got up, yelled, coughed a few times, and then TRIED TO RUN BACK TO STICK HIS HEAD IN THE BUCKET AGAIN. I met him halfway and grabbed him by his stupid horns to drag him away, and he fought me and yelled the whole time because Food.

We had to call the vet to come out because surely he had internal injuries, surely!

Nope, just a cut from the bite and some bad bruises. I still have no idea how, and the best I can come up with is "because goats."

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

Once, my buck (the same one with the paint fetish) got under a fence to where my horse was eating his grain. I went to go get him, but before I could make it he managed to butt my giant, cranky gelding away from his bucket and cram his head into it.

My gelding didn't like this, and bit him. He just yelled and kept eating. So, the horse whipped around and kicked him square in the side and sent him flying, right around the time I made it to where they were. I thought surely he had killed my goat, but he immediately got up, yelled, coughed a few times, and then TRIED TO RUN BACK TO STICK HIS HEAD IN THE BUCKET AGAIN. I met him halfway and grabbed him by his stupid horns to drag him away, and he fought me and yelled the whole time because Food.

We had to call the vet to come out because surely he had internal injuries, surely!

Nope, just a cut from the bite and some bad bruises. I still have no idea how, and the best I can come up with is "because goats."

That goat's dedication to getting itself food is pretty impressive.

I had always imagined that goats had to be smarter than sheep but I guess they're just more stubborn and way stupider.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

I really hate the Beef you guys. I've been working him for like less than a week but by now I usually see him slimming down and tightening up a lot. He's getting a little muscle back, but...he's just so broad and beefy and wide and. I knew this was going to happen, but I didn't think it would be this sudden or extreme. :sigh:

I feel like I can't really bitch given how ugly classic OFRNs are, but he was so moderate and I wanted him to stayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy now he looks like a table :qq:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Fellow cat owners, how often do you find yourself saying "Look at this loving cat!" to other people in your household?

Because I realized that I end up saying it at least once a day in regard to something Nibbler has done.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Greycious posted:

I only need 267 chickens. So that means I only need to order another 259 to keep my lawn properly maintained.....

...and full of chicken poo poo.

I was on a long bike ride out into the Maryland countryside last Sunday, and road past what appeared to be a free range chicken farm. So we're talking relatively small, but still a decent amount of chickens.

Holy loving god did it stink. Chicken poo poo must be the worst substance to come out of an animals rear end (or cloaca in this case)

Superconsndar posted:

I really hate the Beef you guys. I've been working him for like less than a week but by now I usually see him slimming down and tightening up a lot. He's getting a little muscle back, but...he's just so broad and beefy and wide and. I knew this was going to happen, but I didn't think it would be this sudden or extreme. :sigh:

Should have neutered him so he didn't beef up :smug:

Annd a story. There's this dog named Jake that we occasionally see at the dog park. Some kind of border collie mix, and he loves to herd things so much. And by things I mean my dog while she chases a frisbee. He does not want the frisbee at all, never attempts to take it, but he thinks it's the best thing in the world to run after my dog while she chases it, then loop behind her and trot back while she returns it. Then he'll stop and stare at you until you throw the frisbee again. It's pretty funny, and after she realized Jake has no interest in her frisbee or bothering her, Greta just ignores him.

I have a video too but I'm too lazy to make a video account somewhere so whatever

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Levitate posted:

Should have neutered him so he didn't beef up :smug:

But then his final structure would be the artificial result of neutering and not his actual genetically defined structure so how would i be able to accurately assess my dog if his growth was affected by early neutering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE THINGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Levitate posted:

Annd a story. There's this dog named Jake that we occasionally see at the dog park. Some kind of border collie mix, and he loves to herd things so much. And by things I mean my dog while she chases a frisbee. He does not want the frisbee at all, never attempts to take it, but he thinks it's the best thing in the world to run after my dog while she chases it, then loop behind her and trot back while she returns it. Then he'll stop and stare at you until you throw the frisbee again. It's pretty funny, and after she realized Jake has no interest in her frisbee or bothering her, Greta just ignores him.

Husker does this too - he won't chase a ball or disc, but he will chase the dog that's chasing it. And since he's fast as poo poo even on three legs, he often gets to the ball first, but then he just stops and turns around and waits for the other dog to catch up. It upset my sister's Aussie at first, but now she thinks it's fun to make him chase her as fast as he can.

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Superconsndar posted:

But then his final structure would be the artificial result of neutering and not his actual genetically defined structure so how would i be able to accurately assess my dog if his growth was affected by early neutering!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! THESE THINGS ARE VERY IMPORTANT

Your dog has a fat neck. Fattie.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Superconsndar posted:

I feel like I can't really bitch given how ugly classic OFRNs are, but he was so moderate and I wanted him to stayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy now he looks like a table :qq:

I still think he looks cute.

(Maybe thats not the point idk.)

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

a life less posted:

Your dog has a fat neck. Fattie.

He would have to actually possess a neck for it to be fat :negative:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

RazorBunny posted:

Fellow cat owners, how often do you find yourself saying "Look at this loving cat!" to other people in your household?

Because I realized that I end up saying it at least once a day in regard to something Nibbler has done.

For some reason this manifests in my household as "...his face!" Usually because it's Chief doing something stupid and looking completely stupid when his stupid plans don't work out.

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

I feel blessed to share my living space with one so glamorous as Dio.

ToiletOtter
Jun 18, 2007

Our Sammy singing a Serious solo Song.

RazorBunny posted:

About every ten minutes I say to my husband, "Look at (whichever cat is nearby)." Usually in a whisper so as to not disturb the cat. At this point my husband just sighs and says he's already seen all the cats. More often than not they aren't even doing anything but sitting or laying on the floor.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

ToiletOtter posted:

About every ten minutes I say to my husband, "Look at (whichever cat is nearby)." Usually in a whisper so as to not disturb the cat. At this point my husband just sighs and says he's already seen all the cats. More often than not they aren't even doing anything but sitting or laying on the floor.

Usually for us it's to point out how :smug: one of the cats is looking.

My husband is just as ridiculous about the animals as I am, so there isn't too much sighing.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

Does anyone have any recommendations for glow in the dark balls? Preferably ones that can be bought in the UK (or UK pet sites), or from sites that ship cheaply to the UK.

Flaccid Trip
Apr 29, 2008

This is the story of how Drum got covered in road dirt and grease last night:

I spent well over an hour, with the aid of 5 different people at various points throughout, trying to get a kitten from the undercarriages of various cars downtown.

I was walking along, when I suddenly heard a kitten squalling. Really shrieking its fuzzy little head off. I get on my hands and knees, and I notice it's coming from under a car. Dialed animal control - they don't "do this sort of thing". (Great job, guys.) I can't coax the little booger out or reach it, so I ran down to one of the corner markets to grab a cat of cat food.

This doesn't work, but I manage to get the kitten out from under the car...Where it promptly skitters across the road, into the undercarriage of another car. A couple stops to try to help me retrieve the kitten, aaaand....It goes back across the street under the same car. They leave me to my attempts, and I go back across the street.

Another couple shows up, followed by a cab driver. Cab driver jacks up the back end of the car slightly, so the other guy can scoot under and try to grab the little brat while his girlfriend and I shine flashlights so he can see what's he's doing.

Kitten dislodged....back across the street. It was at this point that we gave up, because it wasn't about to be caught. I left the food for it, in case it was hungry. I have no idea what I would have done with it, anyway. I could have brought it home and locked it in my bathroom where Sheila couldn't get in, but there's fleas and the possibility of disease, and the fact that it was almost 1 A.M.

Cats.

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

Fraction posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for glow in the dark balls? Preferably ones that can be bought in the UK (or UK pet sites), or from sites that ship cheaply to the UK.

Do you guys have Nerf toys there? They have a variety of foam glow in the dark stuff. Or they did when I was a kid anyway.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Guys, is it bad that I'm actually considering calling about this little shithead? :ohdear:

On another note, this is by far the most honest craigslist ad I have seen, ever.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

^^^
I don't think that person knows how to sell a thing.

Kerfuffle posted:

Do you guys have Nerf toys there? They have a variety of foam glow in the dark stuff. Or they did when I was a kid anyway.

Apparently we do, but I can only find them in expensive multipacks. Would they even be safe for my dog to chew up?

e: Not sure how big the balls are either, I need something that can fit into a ball launcher.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
There are these balls, which seem to have decent reviews. One of them says it's soft enough to be grabbed by small dogs.

There's also one on there that lights up and makes noises, but I dunno if that fits what you want.

If you find one that doesn't ship to the UK I could always just get it and ship it along with your collar.

cryingscarf
Feb 4, 2007

~*FaBuLoUs*~

Fraction posted:

I don't know if they can be found in the UK, but we used to have a "Buddy Glow Ball" that sounds like what you are looking for.

http://www.amazon.com/Fetch-Glow-Ball-Medium-Buddys/dp/B0040U6NMK

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

Fraction posted:

e: Not sure how big the balls are either, I need something that can fit into a ball launcher.

By ball launcher do you mean like a chuckit? Because they have glowy balls and usually their stuff is pretty durable. The orange chuckit balls are the only ones Major can't destroy. If only they squeaked!

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

Fraction posted:

^^^
I don't think that person knows how to sell a thing.

I think this is true, too. I can imagine them just glaring at the water dragon the whole time they write it and for some reason this is hilarious why can't I stop laughing :(

I don't know if this will help anyone by the way, but in case it does, I got some advice from a petco employee today. If you see any discounts on their website, just print that out and bring it in. Even if it's not in-store discount at the time, they'll match it. This has proved really useful to me since the website almost always has useful things on sale that I'd rather just go to the store and get.
e: I am also sorry for not having any idea on the current discussion, whoops.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Instant Jellyfish posted:

By ball launcher do you mean like a chuckit? Because they have glowy balls and usually their stuff is pretty durable. The orange chuckit balls are the only ones Major can't destroy. If only they squeaked!

Yeah, I think chuckit is the American brand of the launcher. I've only ever seen them labelled here as generic ball launchers. But this looks perfect, and available in the UK to boot.

Thanks guys!

Bear Rape posted:

I think this is true, too. I can imagine them just glaring at the water dragon the whole time they write it and for some reason this is hilarious why can't I stop laughing :(

I am surprised there isn't more swearing at the stupid rear end in a top hat dragon that ruined their life :v:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

wtftastic posted:

That goat's dedication to getting itself food is pretty impressive.

I had always imagined that goats had to be smarter than sheep but I guess they're just more stubborn and way stupider.

This Onion article (written by a goat) is a perfect insight into what is important to goats.

Goats are incredibly, astonishingly stupid while being very very stubborn in their stupidity. When I was growing up we had goats. drat things had the better part of 30 acres to go be goats and eat whatever, but they only ever wanted to eat the grass on the other side of the fence in this one spot where it ran through a meadow. the vegetation on either side of the fence was identical, but several times a week we would have to go get one of the four goats un-stuck because it had jammed its head under or through the hog-wire fence and managed to get its horns all tangled up. Fortunately it was close to the house so you could see the stuck goat and hear them screaming at 200dB.

Of course when you came over to get them out the other three goats would come over and all jam their heads through the fence trying to see if you were suddenly edible and then they would get stuck, and you'd have to free that goat too but another would then get stuck. All the while you have four goats alternating between screaming and trying to eat your hair/shirt.

We had to get rid of them because one managed to get out of the fence (likely after getting stuck) and found the garden, and once a goat knows where food is they will never, ever give up until they have eaten all of it. They destroyed three apple trees! Not to eat anything, just because whenever they would jump up to see if there was anything edible up in the tree they would break off a branch so they had to jump up again...

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Superconsndar posted:

Oh noooo that terrible dog and he looks so horrible and SCREW YOU GIVE ME THAT DOG.

Moses is a q-t pie and that's all that matters(to me). :3:

If it bothers you that much just sit and stare at Frankie for a while. After that, Moses will look pretty good, all-in-all.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

If it bothers you that much just sit and stare at Frankie for a while. After that, Moses will look pretty good, all-in-all.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Hey Super are you sure Frankie is really a dog, and not a gremlin or a goblin shark or anything like that?

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

^^Nothing is ever certain.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

See *I* think Frankie is so ugly it's cute. My mother however, does not. "That poor, poor dog" She says and shakes her head, when ever she sees a picture of Frankie.

His face just has PERSONALITY you guys. :mad:

edit: On second thought don't give me Moses. I don't think my shins could withstand the abuse.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Bash Ironfist posted:

His face just has PERSONALITY you guys.

Personality smells really, really bad.

e;:

quote:

edit: On second thought don't give me Moses. I don't think my shins could withstand the abuse.

Everything Moses does is incredibly painful. He can be sitting perfectly still and somehow still transmit bruises and welts via brainwaves.

Supercondescending fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jul 27, 2012

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Superconsndar posted:

Everything Moses does is incredibly painful. He can be sitting perfectly still and somehow still transmit bruises and welts via brainwaves.

Even at twelve years old, Jess still regularly smashes into my stomach with her big dumb head or paws my lip open.

Also, you should post a couple comparison photos of pre- and post-Beef. All I can see is a really fat neck :v:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

Superconsndar posted:

But he's so pretty! :swoon:

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Superconsndar posted:

See, this cracks me up because I COMPLETELY understand that feeling where something that in the grand scheme of things could be so minor, but matter SO MUCH but you sound absolutely nuts trying to talk about it to someone who doesn't feel the same way/give a poo poo. I feel like I'll be the same way if I end up with a wonky GSD even though the parents will be great just because of :iiam: genetics.

At any rate, I totally understand. The whole point was that you were considering breeding him, so artificially changing his ultimate structure wouldn't do you any drat good. Kind of a catch 22.

Do you have any pictures of Moses' parents? Do you think if he were a female it would have made a difference, or would he still have bulked up? His head looks so small compared to his body now, it's kinda hilarious. :3:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Bash Ironfist posted:

If you stare into the abyss eventually the abyss will stare back. Just in Frankie's case it will be staring in two different directions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

Fraction posted:

Also, you should post a couple comparison photos of pre- and post-Beef. All I can see is a really fat neck :v:

See, he's always had that stupid-rear end neck skin. He had it when he was a puppy and I figured he'd grow into it but NOPE. Never really cared though because it's cosmetic.

His neck definitely looks like its shrinking though. he never had much neck to start with, but the beef really has made it so much worse.

Here's pre-beef album:
http://imgur.com/a/IIolX

And post-beef:
http://imgur.com/a/BZ6ge

wolfensteinbag posted:

At any rate, I totally understand. The whole point was that you were considering breeding him, so artificially changing his ultimate structure wouldn't do you any drat good. Kind of a catch 22.

Do you have any pictures of Moses' parents? Do you think if he were a female it would have made a difference, or would he still have bulked up? His head looks so small compared to his body now, it's kinda hilarious.

Females definitely bulk a LOT less, but it would still have happened to some extent. His sire is primarily gator with a few non-gator Crenshaw dogs and a few OFRN (OFRN is the name of the strain, but there is also a bloodline by the same name) which sounds scattered, but gator + insert-red-line-here is a very common outcrossing in the south. The thing I love about his dad is that he is TINY- he generally stays under 40 pounds unless he's fat, and I believe he conditions out at 36 pounds which is just ridiculously small for a male bred the way he is.

I only have a couple of pics of his dad saved and he's fat in them, but he looks pretty typical aside from his teeny size:

Beefed out and shaped stupidly, but he's typical. He's a great hog dog and has been used on just about every critter in the world. He will tree coons, then climb the tree after them, and come back down with a dead racoon. :3:

I don't have a picture of his dam on my work pc, but Moses GREATLY favors her. She's almost entirely hemphill except for a little bit of Sarona way, way back- and somehow, someway, Moses ended up showing a lot of Sarona and it is very, very weird given how far back it is. Sarona was alright back in its day, but it's lost favor for a lot of reasons and it's not my favorite line in the world. She is very moderate, large for a bitch (they wanted puppies larger than the sire- I like his small size, but they want bigger dogs for catchwork so they wanted her to bring up the size some.) The dogs in her background (most of them) are not too beefy, so they hoped she'd lessen the effect of the sires beefyness.

In a lot of the pups, it did. Moses looks like he got his mom's size, and his dad's beef. I was hoping he'd get his dad's size and his mom's moderation. I KNEW that wasn't going to happen though, and his breeder was very honest about how he would turn out and he's been very dead-on so far. I knew he was going to be bigger than I wanted, and I knew we were due for some bulking up, but he just made it so far without it happening that I was beginning to think we might avoid the worst of it. What he's turning into is very typical of a lot of southern hog dogs, but it just isn't what I personally prefer. I'll let the beefening finish, so he can get EVEN UGLIER, and then I'll neuter around his 3rd bday. Nothing wrong with him, and I still want to work him if I get the chance, just not the direction I plan on going in as far as Breeding A Thing.

• Locked thread