Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Always check your blind spots before backing that thang up.

Professor :science: posted:

Hope your summer is going well because now you are required to complete an online module, before classes start in a month! Someone else will send you a link and give you access to it sometime~~ in the vague and undefined future. Until then, sit on your hands and don't make too many plans.

I am lucky enough to know a very nice professor that warned me about this back in June, but it is still annoying as hell to get a vague assignment with an imminent due date but no clue about when you can start or how long it will take. I am sure that there are people that this comes as a complete surprise to, hopefully their plans are flexible. The worst is that I know a few particular people that will be complaining about it nonstop once classes start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!

HelloSailorSign posted:

Be a pro - do a csf tap in your bathtub using expired ketamine.

nbd

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh man, some of the best threads pop up on VIN.

The latest I found was someone with the unfortunate case of a sudden death of a young bulldog while on a hike. Clinic they took the dead dog to couldn't find a cause (no idea if necropsy was done). Dog had been started on a limited ingredient diet about a month prior because, of course, it's a bulldog and it has allergies (shocking!).

Breeder finds out about the diet and informs client that potatoes are toxic to bulldogs. Client/breeder ask vets why they didn't know that potatoes are toxic to bulldogs.

Of course, they're not toxic. Apparently green potatoes have solonine which can cause GI upset, and cooking doesn't destroy all of it... but adult potatoes don't.

The part that really made me laugh was the last post:

"Funny that the breeder didn't mention that HIKING might be toxic to bulldogs....."

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010
Admittedly, I skimmed the thread, so I apologize if my questions have been answered.

I'm looking into going to school to become a vet tech. There's a local college that's offering the program part-time, but I'm wondering if the courseload is something I'd be able to handle with a full-time job and a baby. I know people do that all the time, but I have a horrible habit of stretching myself too thin and making myself run around like a crazy person.

So if anyone's been through what I might be, what's it like? I know vet school is stressful, but what about just an associate program? And while I was looking through the college's website, I saw they had a 77% job placement record, is that pretty good considering the field? I was able to find some information online about how there's an increasing demand for vet techs, but it was outdated by a couple years. Does anyone know if it's still viable, or is it pretty competitive now?

I live in Southern Ohio if that helps. And thanks for any advice/information you can give!

JTBKSC
Mar 21, 2004
I am just finishing the vet tech program at LaGuardia Community College in NYC (taking VTNE in 2 weeks!), and would say that while it's certainly doable, it might be tough. I had no job, no kids, and took 3 years to do a 2 year program, and still there were times where I felt overwhelmed.

Ultimately it's going to depend on how motivated you are, how well you are able to manage your time, and your aptitude for the material.

Have you considered an online program? I have heard good things about San Juan College.

ReneaKat
Dec 11, 2010

JTBKSC posted:

I am just finishing the vet tech program at LaGuardia Community College in NYC (taking VTNE in 2 weeks!), and would say that while it's certainly doable, it might be tough. I had no job, no kids, and took 3 years to do a 2 year program, and still there were times where I felt overwhelmed.

Ultimately it's going to depend on how motivated you are, how well you are able to manage your time, and your aptitude for the material.

Have you considered an online program? I have heard good things about San Juan College.

I haven't really thought about an online program, but it's something I'll look into. Thanks for the info!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Omg thank you for your help guys. I got a call from TWO clinics today offering me a position as a tech. I'm so excited.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Shnooks posted:

Omg thank you for your help guys. I got a call from TWO clinics today offering me a position as a tech. I'm so excited.

Woop woop time to celebrate! Congratulations!

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.

Shnooks posted:

Congratulations!

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Ok, so now I got the job but I need to buy scrubs. They offered me a pair but I said I'd buy my own because I'm pretty petite. I know they make petite size scrubs which I'm probably going to cash in on, just because I'm so short and I don't want to hem anything.

Do any of you have recommendations on what brand of scrubs I should get? I have no clue how many pockets I'll need or like if I need a "modern" elastic waistband or what. I don't want or need any of those fancy ones that don't really look like scrub tops.

Also, how many pairs do you think I should get? Like, two pairs of pants and 3 tops or something? I feel like they get nasty really fast.

Wtf do you do during the winter, anyways? Do you wear like legging or something underneath? The clinic I worked at in high school didn't require scrubs so this is new to me.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Shnooks posted:

Do any of you have recommendations on what brand of scrubs I should get? I have no clue how many pockets I'll need or like if I need a "modern" elastic waistband or what. I don't want or need any of those fancy ones that don't really look like scrub tops.

Also, how many pairs do you think I should get? Like, two pairs of pants and 3 tops or something? I feel like they get nasty really fast.

Wtf do you do during the winter, anyways? Do you wear like legging or something underneath? The clinic I worked at in high school didn't require scrubs so this is new to me.
Congrats on the new job!!!

It depends on how much you want to spend. Some of the nicer ones that are tailored in shapes other than box can more expensive. Plainplainplain ones seem to be marked down to $9 a top a lot, while tailored ones can be $28 a top. I like the tops I have from Dickies. They are more flattering than others I have tried and they have some cute patterns, if you are allowed to wear them. I am tall though, so I have no idea what brand works best for petite ladies. Does your new clinic have color requirements? I prefer drawstring waist because elastic annoys me and I feel less likely to be pantsed by an excited lab when I can tie them, but it's really a personal preference.

I'd get just as many pants as tops. They are just as likely to be messy, especially since they are right at dog-level. Beyond that, I guess it depends on how many days you will work in a row and how often you want to do laundry. Squeamish paranoid me doesn't really like the idea of rewearing dirty scrubs at all, since you have no idea what you are carrying from one patient to the next over the course of several days.

When it gets cold, I just wear ugly ol' long underwear but I'm sure leggings would work too. Turtle necks can look pretty snazzy under scrub tops and add a lot of warmth. They also make scrub jackets, but I have never been cold enough at work to bother getting one.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Asstro Van posted:

Congrats on the new job!!!

It depends on how much you want to spend. Some of the nicer ones that are tailored in shapes other than box can more expensive. Plainplainplain ones seem to be marked down to $9 a top a lot, while tailored ones can be $28 a top. I like the tops I have from Dickies. They are more flattering than others I have tried and they have some cute patterns, if you are allowed to wear them. I am tall though, so I have no idea what brand works best for petite ladies. Does your new clinic have color requirements? I prefer drawstring waist because elastic annoys me and I feel less likely to be pantsed by an excited lab when I can tie them, but it's really a personal preference.

I'd get just as many pants as tops. They are just as likely to be messy, especially since they are right at dog-level. Beyond that, I guess it depends on how many days you will work in a row and how often you want to do laundry. Squeamish paranoid me doesn't really like the idea of rewearing dirty scrubs at all, since you have no idea what you are carrying from one patient to the next over the course of several days.

When it gets cold, I just wear ugly ol' long underwear but I'm sure leggings would work too. Turtle necks can look pretty snazzy under scrub tops and add a lot of warmth. They also make scrub jackets, but I have never been cold enough at work to bother getting one.

I'm not too concerned about price right now, I'd just rather they be comfortable. I take public transportation and will be working 35-40 hours a week so I want to be comfy. I mean, I don't want to spend like $50 for a top but I'd be ok spending $20. The clinic has no color requirements, but the junky scrubs I have now are maroon and I learned pretty fast that was a bad idea. They didn't say anything about fun prints, but everyone seems to have plain colored scrubs.

And yeah, I'm not too crazy about wearing the same top at least over and over. We have to pay for laundry so laundry is an every 7-10 days thing. Do I wash them separately with hot water?

I'll snoop around a bit. I'll probably buy some underarmour or something and wear that with my scrubs in the winter. I wear them to the gym so it'll just be a two-in-one kind of thing.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I prefer washing scrubs in a hot water cycle. I have no idea if there's any proof behind it, but I feel that compared to cold water, they should be "cleaner."

If you do laundry every 7-10 days, I would recommend having as many sets of scrubs as there are workdays in that period of time +25% - so if you were going to buy 8 scrubs I'd buy an extra 2, but err on the side of more. You want to bring backups in case bad poo poo (literally) happens.

I like pockets, so I would say to look for scrub pants that had the more "normal" pockets (if you want pockets on your pants) - I hate mid-leg pockets. I like having pockets on scrub tops too, but I like the ones that are waist-ish level. The main downsides to having pockets are when a patient does some bodily function in them, or you put an extra blood tube/pen in the pocket and forget about it... until after it's gone through the wash/dryer.

You could also look into schnazzy utility belt things for pens, notes, bandage scissors, hemostats, etc. Kinda like this stuff: http://www.custommade.com/by/hipnotionstoolbelts/.

It hit me that you're starting a new gig and my boss mentioned hiring someone new. I got all excited and then saw your profile said Boston. :( I'm in California.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

HelloSailorSign posted:

I prefer washing scrubs in a hot water cycle. I have no idea if there's any proof behind it, but I feel that compared to cold water, they should be "cleaner."

If you do laundry every 7-10 days, I would recommend having as many sets of scrubs as there are workdays in that period of time +25% - so if you were going to buy 8 scrubs I'd buy an extra 2, but err on the side of more. You want to bring backups in case bad poo poo (literally) happens.

I like pockets, so I would say to look for scrub pants that had the more "normal" pockets (if you want pockets on your pants) - I hate mid-leg pockets. I like having pockets on scrub tops too, but I like the ones that are waist-ish level. The main downsides to having pockets are when a patient does some bodily function in them, or you put an extra blood tube/pen in the pocket and forget about it... until after it's gone through the wash/dryer.

You could also look into schnazzy utility belt things for pens, notes, bandage scissors, hemostats, etc. Kinda like this stuff: http://www.custommade.com/by/hipnotionstoolbelts/.

It hit me that you're starting a new gig and my boss mentioned hiring someone new. I got all excited and then saw your profile said Boston. :( I'm in California.

Man, there's so many options. I can sew so eventually I'll probably just sew my own scrubs, but right now I can't. It didn't seem like the clinic was going to cover the price, but oh well.

And yeah, I'll be at a tiny clinic in Boston. It has good reviews on yelp, so I figure that's good!

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Definitely have at least as many sets as days you'll be working between laundry days, and always have an extra set with you at work in your cubby or whatever in case you have to handle a contagious animal or you get something gross on you. A large percentage of your job is to be in situations where gross stuff happens.

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

Shnooks posted:

They didn't say anything about fun prints, but everyone seems to have plain colored scrubs.

I think some patterns are better than solids at hiding the daily accumulation of hair, poop, and blood. But if everyone else is in solids, it would probably be awkward.

HelloSailorSign posted:

Yeah, 2-3 definitely sounds like too few with that laundry schedule. At minimum, you need one for each day of work.

Shnooks posted:

Man, there's so many options. I can sew so eventually I'll probably just sew my own scrubs, but right now I can't.

I just bought a pattern for scrubs and will be attempting a set as soon as I get some decent ceil blue fabric. I like the idea of being able tweak pockets to suit all of the specific crap that I have to carry.

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
I would either only buy a few pairs to start, or be prepared to return a bunch and try a different brand after you've worked a couple days. The style that looks best on you in front of a mirror may turn out to restrict your movement or show off your buttcrack when you end up on the floor trying to restrain a huge dog.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
If you know someone who can sew, I would ask if they minded sewing you some scrubs. They're really easy. I just used some bed sheets from an op shop and they're holding up pretty well. Alternatively you can get cheap cotton drill from fabric stores and that is tough stuff.

Regarding pockets, I'd go for the type that have two bottom pockets and one breast pocket. Normally I have scissors, bandages, poo bags etc. in bottom pockets, then a pen and small notepad in the top.

The waist toolkit things don't seem to work on me as I'm always losing stuff out of them, could just be the one I have though. It was a freebie.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I basically live in the Cherokee cargo scrubs. They are amazing.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Ugh yes. I must have about 300 pockets on my scrub pants. Where else will I fit my bandage scissors, suture scissors, pen light, permanent marker, three pens, highlighter, and hemostats?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
I got a pair of dickies scrubs cus there's a store near where I work now that sells them. They're not super soft. Boo.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
They should get softer over time in my experience.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

YourCreation posted:

Ugh yes. I must have about 300 pockets on my scrub pants. Where else will I fit my bandage scissors, suture scissors, pen light, permanent marker, three pens, highlighter, and hemostats?

You can tell where someone is on clinics by how much stuff they carry. Faculty don't carry a thing. :)

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

You can tell where someone is on clinics by how much stuff they carry. Faculty don't carry a thing. :)

but they sure do ask me for my things (pen light, stethoscope, etc) all the time so I'm glad I keep those things around. :rolleyes:

anyway what does a pathologist need to carry around? a butcher's knife and some paraffin wax?

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Topoisomerase posted:

anyway what does a pathologist need to carry around? a butcher's knife and some paraffin wax?

One of the professors at WSU had a list, including a holster for your knife, knife, sharp scissors, shears, etc. For Halloween one year, one of the students dressed up as the "ideal pathologist" based on his description.

When I'm on the floor, I have scrubs, an apron, a bluetooth speaker, and my iPhone. The students are doing the cutting, so I don't need much. :)

Asstro Van
Apr 15, 2007

I've been meaning to ask you something, Khelmar. Our pathologist said that around 3% of the samples that they get sent don't even have the patient's species listed. Do you get a lot of poorly labeled things sent to you?

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.

Shnooks posted:

Ok, so now I got the job but I need to buy scrubs. They offered me a pair but I said I'd buy my own because I'm pretty petite. I know they make petite size scrubs which I'm probably going to cash in on, just because I'm so short and I don't want to hem anything.

Ughhh its stupid hard for me to find scrubs with how small I am. Any scrubs that fit are expensive. The only cheap ones I can find are xxs by Cherokee, but they are still too big. My favorite scrubs are cargo pants and just plain colored. Also, the more pockets, the better. The problem with me is that they don't last long as I both assist and clean kennels. I go through scrubs so quickly. I will never have enough scrubs. I never wear the same scrubs twice, so I like having at least 7 pairs, because I also loathe having to walk to the laundromat once a week. Make sure you keep back-up scrubs with you at work. You will use them. Unless you want to smell like anal glands or something all day.

By the way, three more semesters until I'm done with vet tech school! I just finished summer, and fall starts in two weeks. Pathology is OVER! I hate pathology. Sorry, Khelmar. :)

I have to find a surgery internship though, but its going to be very difficult with my financial situation, working full time, and taking four classes. I can't afford to work less than 5 days a week, but I'm just going to have to find a way, I guess.

JTBKSC posted:

Heh, I wonder if I know you. Good luck on the VTNE! Claudia is taking hers today. I'm sure you know her. She's the best! I always have a lot to learn from LaGuardia interns. I love them!

Carebear fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Aug 13, 2012

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Asstro Van posted:

I've been meaning to ask you something, Khelmar. Our pathologist said that around 3% of the samples that they get sent don't even have the patient's species listed. Do you get a lot of poorly labeled things sent to you?

A better question is, "Do you ever get anything that's not poorly labeled?"

I don't understand it, but people cannot write a history to save their damned lives. There's nothing like doing a necropsy and having the clinician ask, "Did you find out why they were blind?"

No, probably because you never mentioned that.

"Acute death" as the sum total of my history is awesome, too.

If you want to anger a pathologist, ask them about histories.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

If you want to anger a pathologist, ask them about histories.

If they told you this it'd be like cheating. ;)

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Seriously, if you give them too much information they'll not even look at the animal and just say what makes sense based on the information on the sheet. You don't want to influence their decisions.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
How about illegible histories? There was one resident whose handwriting was so bad, he wasn't allowed to fill out path forms, only sign them after a student had filled it out. Most services had students do them anyway, but he was the only person I knew who was forbidden.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
One of my classmates has incredibly messy writing. One of the anesthesiologists actually was looking for him so she could yell at him because if a case ever went to court for some reason, and he wrote the history, it wouldn't be able to stand up legally because no one would be able to read what it said. After a lot of nagging his writing is a bit better now.

On a cooler note, I saw an intussusception last night! I got called in to surgery (which is not cool), but a live intussusception is so much cooler than a preserved one in a pathology lab that just looks like a gross grey tube.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
There was one practitioner who submitted every history as "Please give diagnosis and prognosis", and that was all she'd tell me. Another said "Please biopsy".

I especially love seeing "N/A" under species. Yeah, the species is NEVER applicable as to what's wrong with the animal.

And yes, we occasionally have consults with each other trying to decipher WTF someone is telling us on our history forms.

How hard is this to figure out? Don't copy and paste everything out of the computer system, don't write nothing, just pretend you're transferring the animal to me for further treatment and tell me why it came in, what you found, what you did, and what the response to that was, as well as pertinent medical history. It's not rocket science.

Muscular Typist
Oct 11, 2004

I feel bad but I'm laughing pretty hard at "acute death" and "N/A" species. More pathology stories please!

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Khelmar posted:

How hard is this to figure out? Don't copy and paste everything out of the computer system, don't write nothing, just pretend you're transferring the animal to me for further treatment and tell me why it came in, what you found, what you did, and what the response to that was, as well as pertinent medical history. It's not rocket science.

Probably not good. ;)

edit: I was working in our micro lab today and one of the equine techs got snippy with me because she asked what the number was for a stall sample she had in her hand (we have to enter them into the system before they get a number..) and I told her I wasn't going to enter it in right away, because I had other things I was doing right then, but that I'd call her with the numbers later. She said "Well do it as soon as possible, we're running out of space!" (gotta get a salmonella clear after cleaning and before they put new horses in the stalls apparently or something)

The stall sample consists of 10 swabs from the stall in a bag of enrichment broth. They turn it in, we have to incubate it overnight, and then we set up a plate from the incubated sample which also has to be incubated overnight. And she was telling me to hurry up and enter it. :rolleyes:

Also she brought 4 fecal samples and didn't bother to label them with the patient numbers.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Aug 13, 2012

Carebear
Apr 16, 2003

If you stay here too long, you'll end up frying your brain. Yes, you will. No, you will...not. Yesno you will won't.
My dog didn't do so well with Certifect the other day. The next day after I applied it, I noticed he seemed a bit off, then when we got home from a quick walk, he collapsed. His CRT was 3 seconds, his mucous membranes were paler than normal, and his heart rate was around 80 (he is a 40 lb dog). I bathed him as I waited for a taxi, but later had to rebathe him because I stupidly used dog shampoo instead of dawn soap.

By the time we got there, he was feeling better. The vet said his HR was 90 but he was okay; the amitraz in certifect had caused this. Its amazing how I'm such a wimp with my own animals, it makes me feel guilty at rolling my eyes at clients.

Actually, the main part of this was that I wondered if anyone is familiar with certifect? A coworkers dog has the same reaction, and one of the vets today told me she won't even prescribe it anymore. My dog turned out to be perfectly fine, but it was pretty scary for me, and clients are never told about that being a possible side effect. Should we be mentioning this to clients?

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

Carebear posted:

My dog didn't do so well with Certifect the other day. The next day after I applied it, I noticed he seemed a bit off, then when we got home from a quick walk, he collapsed. His CRT was 3 seconds, his mucous membranes were paler than normal, and his heart rate was around 80 (he is a 40 lb dog). I bathed him as I waited for a taxi, but later had to rebathe him because I stupidly used dog shampoo instead of dawn soap.

By the time we got there, he was feeling better. The vet said his HR was 90 but he was okay; the amitraz in certifect had caused this. Its amazing how I'm such a wimp with my own animals, it makes me feel guilty at rolling my eyes at clients.

Actually, the main part of this was that I wondered if anyone is familiar with certifect? A coworkers dog has the same reaction, and one of the vets today told me she won't even prescribe it anymore. My dog turned out to be perfectly fine, but it was pretty scary for me, and clients are never told about that being a possible side effect. Should we be mentioning this to clients?

I think the clinic I just started working at carries Certifect. They told me not to give it to anyone without checking if they had a heartworm test done very recently because of the risk of anaphylaxis if they do have heartworms.

But to be honest I'm really overwhelmed with everything and I've never seen it before. It's dog only, right?

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Carebear posted:

Actually, the main part of this was that I wondered if anyone is familiar with certifect? A coworkers dog has the same reaction, and one of the vets today told me she won't even prescribe it anymore.

I think it is important to keep in mind that allergic reactions are animal specific (random bad luck), not product specific. Amitraz has been used for years as a treatment for Demodectic mange, as well as in Preventic collars for tick prevention without issue.

Shnooks posted:

I think the clinic I just started working at carries Certifect. They told me not to give it to anyone without checking if they had a heartworm test done very recently because of the risk of anaphylaxis if they do have heartworms.

But to be honest I'm really overwhelmed with everything and I've never seen it before. It's dog only, right?

From what their website says, Certifect does not kill or prevent heartworms, so I doubt that is an issue with this product. The logic behind the testing before giving heartworm prevention is that because most heartworm preventatives are larvacides, administering it to a dog with a heavy larval load could kill them all at once and overload the body. Of course, the beginning recommended treatment for a heartworm positive dog is two months of heartworm preventative and doxycycline followed by immiticide, so take it how you will.

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
For heartworm prevention, I was told you should require a test just to make sure they don't have it, because once they are on preventative there's a false sense of security that the dog won't/can't have heartworm disease. Unfortunately this explanation may be kind of weak to an owner, especially one that gives heartworm prevention regularly, and I suspect the whole "bad reaction if they are positive and put on prevention" was introduced as a result. Or, that we used to think that, but hold onto that explanation when we know better for the same reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.
Looks like it has amitraz, which, while damned effective, can have some nasty side effects. Probably a lower dose of amitraz than what we used to use, but may still suffer from some of the same issues.

• Locked thread