Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
An entire album of stuff by the person who did this loving sublime piece that I really hope is what this album actually is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Oh man, I forgot he was working on that. That'd be fantastic.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style
Yeah, I think he said it's orchestral stuff.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I think my ears became the happiest they've ever been. Also, let's not forget he did Homestuck Anthem, my personal favorite.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Start refreshing he says

http://homestuck.bandcamp.com/

graybook
Oct 10, 2011

pinya~
pandaK, I clicked that, set it up to refresh every 15 seconds, then a few refreshes later, the page theme changes, THEN the new album comes up. Heh.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

So, I had a thought. English is out there in the furthest ring, popping dream bubbles. Aradia chose to stay behind and give the dead some company, perhaps he'll run into her and offer her the same job as her ancestor. Perhaps English will just cast aside the Condesce after he's through with her and force Aradia to do his bidding.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
Holy hell, the Sarabande arrangement on Plazmataz's album is the most brilliant and beautiful possible version of the song. I just can't believe how amazing this album is!

Edit: If I had to rank the tracks on this album, it would be Sarabande > Serenade > Overture > Anthem. Seriously Sarabande is incredible and perfect and oh my god why is this album so impossibly great

Well Manicured Man fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Aug 1, 2012

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I want Overture to be the Act 6 Act 4 flash.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

Another 1? Aww man...

sitchelin posted:

So, I had a thought. English is out there in the furthest ring, popping dream bubbles. Aradia chose to stay behind and give the dead some company, perhaps he'll run into her and offer her the same job as her ancestor. Perhaps English will just cast aside the Condesce after he's through with her and force Aradia to do his bidding.

It'd be a horribly depressing follow-through of the ancestor fate reversal deal we've seen before if Aradia actually did manage to kill herself rather than work for LE, where her ancestor failed. Maybe she'll do the 'freeze him in time' thing she did with Jack again? Except LE can control time too...

Also holy poo poo that album. It is so good I just want to make a blanket out of it and go to sleep in it.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

RedMagus posted:

That was a pretty amazing flash. I think the best part is that it calls back to the chess game he had going with Calliope. He loves figuring out the rules, and how to not break them, but twist them so hard you can see the fibers straining.

I'm really looking forward to seeing if Hussie reveals how he achieved such an insane power level.

This is what really makes me love homestuck. It's all about player characters trapped in a game, finding a way to change, twist and break the rules of their existence. PCs not accepting the limitations of the system they are forced to exist in.

It's such an intense idea.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Speaking of players' varied reactions to being stuck in a game, I'm still sad, with all the hearts/diamonds/clubs/spades stuff we get, Hussie never introduced the Bartle system of player categorization.

Hearts = social players (Nepeta, Feferi, Jade perhaps, Calliope)
Diamonds = loot obsessives and overachievers (Vriska)
Spades = mechanic analyzers and breakers (Rose, Terezi)
Clubs = pvpers (Gamzee, Eridan, Calliborn)

Roger Explosion
Jan 26, 2006

THAT'S SPECTACULAR.
They should rename this album to "Symphony Impossible to Not Be In A Finale Flash I Mean C'mon What Is Even With These Climactic Tunes Goddamn."

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

Rose/Dave comic 4939 posted:

TG: oh god why would i want that
TG: im not about to get molested by calamari with loving teeth
TG: use your powers and like
TG: stroke a mummys paw or some horseshit and open a dark channel
TG: tell them to keep their lecherous flagella to themselves
TT: You're going to have to help them.
TT: Even if you don't like them.
TT: They're being massacred.
TT: Presently, already, and still to come.

So the idea that Lord English was killing HorrorTerrors was mentioned after the EOA and I think it was settled that those were injured from shrapnel from him shattering reality.

Well it looks like Lord English is killing the HorrorTerrors and will keep hunting.

So chalk up another "How loving far ahead does Hussie plan!?"

Link for the lazy

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Crain posted:

So the idea that Lord English was killing HorrorTerrors was mentioned after the EOA and I think it was settled that those were injured from shrapnel from him shattering reality.

Well it looks like Lord English is killing the HorrorTerrors and will keep hunting.

Link for the lazy

Well, I remember reading Hussie stating somewhere that he had a good idea of Lord English's final design even around the time Problem Sleuth was finishing up, so it's not much of a stretch that this one was in the works from the very beginning.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Crain posted:

It's not really that insane when it's obviously supposed to be a major plot point eventually, and not some random offhand comment that later turns out to be important.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I was actually thinking about how far Hussie plans while back. I haven't actually gone though all of the comic, just until Rose's entry and picked back up around her grim darkening. Anyway, I went back to find when the trolls first chat logs appeared, and I realized that the first four trolls have the most "obvious" typing quirks. Karkat's all caps, Kanaya's capital first letters, Tavros' reverse caps, and Terezi's 1337speak. It's only after they are introduced when Hussie starts having convoluted stuff like ASCII weapons and specific multiples of letters. I dont know, I just feel like that Provides some sort of metric.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I seem to recall reading that he had the general structure of the plot filled in before he began, and the nature of the threat represented by Lord English would constitute something important enough to have been planned in advance. It's just details that become used as retroactive foreshadowing.

Speaking of fans obsessing over seemingly minor details, Lord English kept an exile terminal locked behind his time vault. It's not like him to put it there just to keep Spades Slick from opening it, so what's his game? Is he using it himself? If so, to talk to whom, and tell them what? It'd explain Gamzee hearing voices, of course, but then, what's the role of Lil Cal?

Every detail involved in that predates Act 4.

I have an addiction.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Bongo Bill posted:

Speaking of fans obsessing over seemingly minor details, Lord English kept an exile terminal locked behind his time vault. It's not like him to put it there just to keep Spades Slick from opening it, so what's his game? Is he using it himself? If so, to talk to whom, and tell them what? It'd explain Gamzee hearing voices, of course, but then, what's the role of Lil Cal?

I was going to point out that Caliborn lives in an exile terminal, but then I remembered that there's a 12-screen troll console in Lord English's.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

For people following livebloggers, Treestuck is updating again!

...and she totally ruined the dramatic Vriska and John post-death chat for herself by guessing correctly that the John she's talking to is the one that died. :/

Nobody guessed that right at the time!

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!
I would actually suspect that's because Treestuck is reading archivally, in a way where that "dramatic tension" really isn't the point or sustainable.

If I remember correctly there we just a heated debated about that scene at the time, space out over a few updates, since John had pupils and it wasn't established if dead characters could have pupils when they weren't lucid in the dreambubbles. It also wasn't clear to what degree Beta-instances in general were allowed to enter the dreambubbles, or if that was an Alpha-only thing. Since we were reading it serially we had to wait until the people who suspected Beta-John were vindicated.

e: looking at her Tumblr she actually raises the point that it might be the Beta-John, and then immediately asks all of the questions that raises, then gets her answers in pretty short order. It's actually really interesting seeing the way the reading experience silently changes for the archive.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Yeah, if I recall correctly people in here came up with that idea almost immediately - but of course there was a lot of discussion over other reasonable ideas instead of just instant clarification, since we had to wait for the next couple sets of pages.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I seem to recall a lot of people going "God drat!" when the reveal happened, because it seemed improbable that Hussie would bring back Beta-John after so long. Guess it doesn't seem so long when you're reading without pauses.

ShardPhoenix
Jun 15, 2001

Pickle: Inspected.

Bobulus posted:

Maybe I'm remembering wrong, but I seem to recall a lot of people going "God drat!" when the reveal happened, because it seemed improbable that Hussie would bring back Beta-John after so long. Guess it doesn't seem so long when you're reading without pauses.
That's Hussie's explanation/excuse for the pacing issues too - that he's writing with archive readers in mind. I guess we won't know for sure how right he is until the whole thing is done.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

ShardPhoenix posted:

That's Hussie's explanation/excuse for the pacing issues too - that he's writing with archive readers in mind. I guess we won't know for sure how right he is until the whole thing is done.

Personally I almost feel like Hussie's writing for people on their second+ reread of the comic in a way, although it might just be me? Like when I went through the first time there were sections like Jade or WV's 'introductory' sequences that just seemed to drag on. On the second read through though where I had a better idea what was coming up and where they were leading I enjoyed them much more? Like instead of being frustrated about jumping to Jade right when Dave finally started fighting Bro and rushing past I could take the time to see how her cloud-vision shenanigans really filled in a bunch of puzzle pieces I guess.

Hivebent is still a slog though, first read or re-read, at least until all the trolls get in the game just before Make Her Pay, IMO.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

So, given the same body senanigans, I have to assume the cherub medium is going to be fused in some way as well. In the most recent flash, the background behind English manor was prospit on the left, derse on the right, with a weird intermediate shade across the middle.

So I'm guessing that we'll be seeing a 'Despit' walkaround some time soon.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

Treestuck posted:

DAD?
DAD?
GUYS LOOK IT’S DAD. DAD’S THERE.
THAT’S UNFORTUNATE BECAUSE. YOU KNOW. HE’S DEAD. BUT JOHN IS FINALLY GOING TO GET TO TALK TO HIS DAD. FINALLY.

This poor poor girl keeps setting herself up for these things :smith:

Speaking of which, where the gently caress is Dad? I mean Jane's Dad.

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Bobulus posted:

For people following livebloggers, Treestuck is updating again!

Does anyone else think she is going to react extremely strongly to Doc Scratch abusing the Handmaid? I mean it's pretty awful regardless, but I get the sense with treestuck in particular it's going to cut deep.

Also Cascade is going to blow her mind, but that's just kind of a given in The Homestuck Experience.

Rooreelooo
Sep 29, 2007

"Ask not what Spiral Mountain can do for you; ask what you can do for Spiral Mountain."

Tunicate posted:

So, given the same body senanigans, I have to assume the cherub medium is going to be fused in some way as well. In the most recent flash, the background behind English manor was prospit on the left, derse on the right, with a weird intermediate shade across the middle.

So I'm guessing that we'll be seeing a 'Despit' walkaround some time soon.

This is a neat idea, what if the planet was a the tumor-like ying yang symbol, with gold on one side and purple on the other.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Equius seems to be gaining a bit more significance lately, between the popped dreambubbles looking like his shades, a closeup on his face, and his blood being used to censor Calliope's book. Fingers crossed for Nepius?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

CidGregor posted:

Also Cascade is going to blow her mind, but that's just kind of a given in The Homestuck Experience.
Am I alone in thinking Cascade isn't as great as people make it out to be? I mean, yeah, it had its moments. But it was just overlong and not really up to the same standard as Descend or even the latest flash.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

CidGregor posted:

Does anyone else think she is going to react extremely strongly to Doc Scratch abusing the Handmaid? I mean it's pretty awful regardless, but I get the sense with treestuck in particular it's going to cut deep.

Yeah - I must admit I would think that might make her REALLY despise Scratch, esp. after her reactions to post-God Tier Aradia and to sober Gamzee.

Walliard
Dec 29, 2010

Oppan Windfall Style

Samovar posted:

Yeah - I must admit I would think that might make her REALLY despise Scratch, esp. after her reactions to post-God Tier Aradia and to sober Gamzee.

Everything in that whole sequence is basically meant to make you hate him. Not only emotionally, but on a logical level because of his manipulativeness and on a meta-level because he's holding up the story.

Which just makes it all the more satisfying when Hussie beats him up with a broom.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Hiatus game: personal top 10 flash rankings.
  1. Descend
  2. Jade: Enter
  3. Enter
  4. Make her pay
  5. Cascade
  6. Dirk: Synchronize
  7. WV: Ascend
  8. Jack: Ascend
  9. WV: Rise Up
  10. Vriska: Watch street tough maverick with nothing to lose

CidGregor
Sep 27, 2009

TG: if i were you i would just take that fucking devilbeast out behind the woodshed and blow its head off

Seoinin posted:

Am I alone in thinking Cascade isn't as great as people make it out to be? I mean, yeah, it had its moments. But it was just overlong and not really up to the same standard as Descend or even the latest flash.

You're probably alone yeah. I never felt like it dragged on too long at all because everything that happened in it was important (i.e. nothing felt like 'filler'), and all four songs used in it are beyond incredible so I never get tired of listening to/watching it.

In fact I'm going to leave it out of my top 10 favorite flashes list entirely because I feel like it's kind of in a class all its own.

In no particular order:

1. Enter (EOA3)
2. Make her Pay (EOA5.1-ish)
3. A6A3 (Myststuck)
4. Seer: Descend (grimdark Rose walkabout)
5. John: Reunite with your loving Wife and daughter (fake EOA4)
6. Wake (god-tier Aradia and Tavros' death)
7. Caliborn: Enter (EOA6A3)
8. Descend (EOA4)
9. Jade: Enter
10. Flip (glitched-disk conclusion)

I should note that a huge part of my opinions about flashes come from my opinion of the music and this list would be quite different were certain songs in more noteworthy flashes. The one that immediately comes to mind is "[S] GO ON" back in act 2, which is just a quick little 10 second animation yet features the track "Skies of Skaia" which is one of my absolute favorite songs in all of Homestuck.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Triskelli posted:

Equius seems to be gaining a bit more significance lately, between the popped dreambubbles looking like his shades, a closeup on his face, and his blood being used to censor Calliope's book. Fingers crossed for Nepius?

Since it seems "real" Equius and Nepeta were both killed by English in the Dreambubble I suspect we're going to see them get prototyped, if only to find out exactly what happens when you die in a dreambubble.

Seoinin posted:

Not at all. It's got a lot of really awkward animation due to how much of it was art team stuff, there a lot of really awkward pans that last way too long; we basically get like 3 full minutes of that really anime God Tier Jade image twisting her arms around like she is some sort of Jade Clock. The exile stuff feels like it should've been spread out more; it's impossible for me to feel anything about PM and WV when all the dramatic tension is just dumped on you in the span of a short animation rather than built up like everything else was. It just feels all over the place to me.

I feel it's pretty much only held up as the High Homestuck Standard is because of the sheer hype it had built up.

H.P. Shivcraft
Mar 17, 2008

STAY UNRULY, YOU HEARTLESS MONSTERS!

Seoinin posted:

I'll agree with you. I think Cascade is plenty fun but either because there was too much anticipation or a longer flash format is a little unwieldy, it just didn't hit me like other flashes have done.

So top 10

1. Descend
2. Enter
3. Jack: Ascend
4. John: Reunite with your loving wife and daughter
5. Begin Intermission 2
6. WV: Ascend
7. [S][I]
8. Seer: Descend
9. Rose: Fast forward to now
10. Roxy: Sleepwalk

BONUS 11: Ride.

voting third party
Sep 5, 2006
~
I'm not going to make a list because so many of the flashes are good, but Jade: Pester John is the point when I became completely hooked. When that flash came out I realized that the scope of the comic was going to be really big.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

I can't bring myself to join in on ~list time~ but I have to say you're all crazy for not including either Dave: Strife or Dave: Abscond. Mostly Abscond since it was like an upgraded version of Strife but I feel like they work as an inseparable pair anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seoinin posted:

Yeah, it's not the best, that would be Descend, though it's certainly up there due to being the climax of Act 5, which was a huge bloated mess so it makes sense that it's closing would also be a huge bloated mess. Really I don't know why Hussie didn't do all the animation art himself, I mean contributing artists help a lot with detailed background stuff, but with animation I think it probably would not only look better, but have been finished faster if Hussie did all the animation himself. Music is pretty great for most of it, and helps a lot in making it one of the better flashes.

My top ten (not counting Cascade)* would probably be:

1) Descend
2) Jack: Ascend
3) Seer: Descend
4) Wake
5) John: Enter Village/Rise Up
6) Begin Intermission 2
7) Jade: Enter
8) Equius: Seek the highb100d
9) Prince of Heart: Rise up
10) Past Karkat: Wake up

*Subject to change when I actually bother to sit down and think about this for more than 10 minutes.