Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
If you're going to read Sherlock Holmes I'd recommend starting with The Sign of Four.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
I'm looking for books describing life in East Germany.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Okay, I'm in the mood for something a little different this time. I'm tired of all these "enjoyable" and "competent" books. I want some terrible, bad, bizarre books that I can enjoy laughing at. Ideally fantasy or sci-fi, as that tends to make the best awfulness, but I'm open to anything. The Sword of Truth series is already on my list.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer
If you want terribly bad fantasy just go to goodreads and look at all the unpublished fantasy some of the users have written. Hilariously bad cover art, the writing is unparalleled in its hilarity.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

Doomsayer posted:

Okay, I'm in the mood for something a little different this time. I'm tired of all these "enjoyable" and "competent" books. I want some terrible, bad, bizarre books that I can enjoy laughing at. Ideally fantasy or sci-fi, as that tends to make the best awfulness, but I'm open to anything. The Sword of Truth series is already on my list.

If anybody can top this, I will be mad impressed.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Doomsayer posted:

Look for recent books by Piers Anthony.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Flaggy posted:

If you want terribly bad fantasy just go to goodreads and look at all the unpublished fantasy some of the users have written. Hilariously bad cover art, the writing is unparalleled in its hilarity.

Hmm, I think that fruit might be a little too low-hanging for my tastes. I was hoping for more entertainingly-awful "how did this get published?/wow this is weird/messed up/hilarious" rather than just awful-awful. I will definitely have to check that out though!

quote:

Piers Anthony

Therree we go.

funkybottoms posted:

This also looks pretty good! Awww, no Kindle edition though :(

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Aug 2, 2012

simokon
Nov 6, 2009

Doomsayer posted:

I think that fruit's a little too low-hanging for my tastes. I was hoping for more entertainingly-awful "how did this get published?/wow this is weird/messed up/hilarious" rather than just awful-awful.

Aww shucks, I was just going to point you a few threads down to the unparalleled works of the Book Barn's favorite fantasy-writing creeper, the one and only J-F Bibeau. It doesn't get much lower.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

simokon posted:

Aww shucks, I was just going to point you a few threads down to the unparalleled works of the Book Barn's favorite fantasy-writing creeper, the one and only J-F Bibeau. It doesn't get much lower.

Oh I'm fine with that! I didn't mean to imply I actually have any standards or anything, I was just eying more towards published works. But hey, terrible is terrible and I'll gladly take a look!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Doomsayer posted:

Therree we go.

You don't want to mess up and read any of his "arguably decent" stuff. Go straight for that Bio of a Space Tyrant stuff right there.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

You don't want to mess up and read any of his "arguably decent" stuff. Go straight for that Bio of a Space Tyrant stuff right there.

Sounds like a plan! Is his arguably decent stuff worth a read? I've heard the name, but I can't remember in what capacity.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Doomsayer posted:

Sounds like a plan! Is his arguably decent stuff worth a read? I've heard the name, but I can't remember in what capacity.

He got famous for the Xanth series and wrote a whole bunch of books. His early books were entertaining in the way that only 1970's/1980's shlock fantasy could be, but the longer he kept writing the more wrong his books got, finally devolving into, well, fairly pedo-tastic horrors.

Most of his stuff ends up falling into that category where it's not bad if you read it as a thirteen year old boy but if you re-read it as an adult it's creeeeeeeepy.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Excavation posted:

I'm looking for books describing life in East Germany.

The People's State: East German Society from Hitler to Honecker by Mary Fulbrook. Long review here

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Doomsayer posted:

How about John Varley's Titan trilogy?

Wikipedia unironically posted:

Titanides come in two sexes, male and female. Both sexes have a rear vagina and uterus, and a large penis in the position where a horse's penis would be. Both sexes also possess humanoid breasts and can thus give birth to and suckle young.
Male Titanides have a frontal penis analogous to a human penis, and female Titanides have a frontal vagina. While sexual intercourse using the horse organs is indulged in casually between individuals of all sexes, so-called frontal intercourse is reserved for intimate relationships. The product of frontal intercourse is always a small, spherical egg a few centimetres in diameter. These eggs are often kept as keepsakes or mementos of special occasions. They are sterile unless first treated with the Wizard's saliva.
An egg which has been made fertile can be implanted in a rear vagina and "quickened" by rear intercourse. After that, the egg will develop into a young Titanide.
All Titanides can have eggs implanted. The Titanide who receives the egg is called the "hindmother". The Titanide who quickens the egg is called the "hindfather". The Titanides whose original act of intercourse produced the egg are the "foremother" and "forefather".
There is special case: a female Titanide may use semen from her ventral penis to produce an egg, transferring it by hand. If the egg is made fertile, she may then implant it in herself and quicken it with the same source of semen. The resulting offspring is a clone of the mother. Semen from the ventral penis can only produce an egg in the same individual who produces the semen. This is the so-called "Aeolian Solo" method of reproduction.
The naming of the different modes of reproduction is arbitrary but follows a logical scheme. Aeolian modes have all female participants, and one female is both "foremother" and "forefather". Lydian modes consist of one female and up to three males. Mixolydian modes have two females, and one or two males. Phrygian modes, of which there is only one, have three females and one male. Various prefixes and modifiers are used as well. If the foremother in a Lydian or Mixolydian mode produces the egg using her own ventral sperm, the prefix hypo- is applied. If the hindmother is also the hindfather in a Lydian or Mixolydian mode, the prefix locri- is applied. The unmodified mode name is used when the foremother is also the hindmother. When another participant is the hindmother, the modifier Sharped is applied. More complex combinations have modifiers like Double Sharped and Double Flatted.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Hedrigall posted:

How about John Varley's Titan trilogy?

Ew.

Edit: I mean yes, absolutely. But ew.

Doomsayer fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Aug 3, 2012

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded
yeah, John Varley can be a little squick, he likes to play with gender definitions -
but i found the idea of a living sentient toroidal artificial world(sort of a live Ringworld) quite interesting.the Titanides are a digression from the main line of exploration for me. but it is a technicolor fountain of original ideas.like Ringworld, it starts as an exploration of a big strange space object- but goes a lot farther from there. a good brain-stretcher of a story.
i,myself,enjoy a good brain-stretch.it improves the tone of my neurons so they don't get flabby, and it helps counteract the effect of television.
also Steel Beach is also highly original and has some neat notions(dinosaur farmers on the moon, the first church of Elvis, miniature humans, many more) and is a good read also.
main character changes sex from time to time.
i recommend it before you chew through the whole Gaea trilogy to whet your taste.
but I'm definitely a hard SF sorta guy-your mileage may vary.

if you want something weird, hilarious, weird,and original, try The House on Hydrogen Hill, by Peter Truckel- it defies simple description. its on Amazon.
it involves dwarf mad scientists,female wrestlers, and assassin grandmas. not as silly as it sounds.

zimboe fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Aug 3, 2012

zimboe
Aug 3, 2012

FIRST EBOLA GOON AVOID ALL POSTS SPEWING EBLOA SHIT POSTS EVERWHERE
I'm literally retarded

Doomsayer posted:

see my post above- house on hydrogen hill, peter truckel. on amazon for kindle.

Phummus
Aug 4, 2006

If I get ten spare bucks, it's going for a 30-pack of Schlitz.
What about some Terry Goodkind:

Goodkind posted:

Hissing, hackles lifting, the chicken's head rose.
Kahlan pulled back.
Its claws digging into stiff dead flesh, the chicken slowly turned to face her. It cocked its head, making its comb flop, its wattles sway.
"Shoo," Kahlan heard herself whisper.
There wasn't enough light, and besides, the side of its beak was covered with gore, so she couldn't tell if it had the dark spot. But she didn't need to see it.
"Dear spirits, help me," she prayed under her breath.
The bird let out a slow chicken cackle. It sounded like a chicken, but in her heart she knew it wasn't. In that instant, she completely understood the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken. This looked like a chicken, like most of the Mud People's chickens. But this was no chicken.
This was evil manifest

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

How does he square the chickent-that-is-not-a-chicken with A=A?

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Phummus posted:

What about some Terry Goodkind:

Hey, I already said the Sword of Truth series was on my list :colbert: And it's for that very reason!

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011
I only read hardcovers, I can't explain why, I feel like a snob. I'm at the tail end of the ASOIAF series, and will most likely be ordering the H.P. Lovecraft collection Necronimicon next. I don't really care about the genre. A full half of my bookshelf is non-fiction related to Communism and the Russian & French revolutions, but I am eager for more fiction at this point. I will read anything that is compelling, but I would prefer it to be over 600 pages and available in hardcover for a reasonable price.

Pot Pie
May 10, 2010

If you want something really terrible read The Black Company by Glen Cook. It was recommended to me as an epic fantasy told sort of from the bad guy's side but the writing is so bad I couldn't get more than 70 pages in. It's truly awful! :)

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

Pot Pie posted:

If you want something really terrible read The Black Company by Glen Cook. It was recommended to me as an epic fantasy told sort of from the bad guy's side but the writing is so bad I couldn't get more than 70 pages in. It's truly awful! :)

I was hoping more bad content-wise than writing-wise. I teach English and get more than my fair share of poor writing, haha! It's that sort of "my god how did this trash get published?" goodness that I'm after.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Doomsayer posted:

Hmm, I think that fruit might be a little too low-hanging for my tastes. I was
This also looks pretty good! Awww, no Kindle edition though :(

Maybe this, then. Seriously, if I had the patience for it/could find my copy, I'd make a thread for Murder in the Women's Studies Department, it is loving nuts.

edit- looks like Murder is on google books.

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Aug 6, 2012

LyonsLions
Oct 10, 2008

I'm only using 18% of my full power !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

funkybottoms posted:

quote:

Dr. Tweechig Haroutunian Whisper chaired her small private liberal arts college's Women's Studies Department in the division of Behavioral Sciences until she decided to teach online from home, design a new women's studies curriculum, and broadcast a talk show on her college's Internet audio worldwide to celebrate convergence. Little did she know at first that this would lead to moonlighting teamwork in a new career as a private investigator on an adventure filled with more mystery than mystique.This time, Tweechig took the investigative approach by broadcasting her research on Internet audio around the world hunting for adventure and a team partner. Refusing to retire on command and flaunting white hair tucked under a baseball cap that read, "Sixty-Plus, So Give Me My Senior Discount Already!" Tweechig eagerly taught her Women's Studies courses online at home without having to utter a word in front of a class. A burst of pounding fired from her door. Pickles, her Siamese cat leapt from a chair and scurried behind the bed. Groggy and outraged, Tweechig leapt out of a pre-work nap in the blackness and slipped on a book she had tossed on the floor next to her bed. She skidded into the wall and went down hard. The pounding grew louder as she fumbled for the lamp switch. Doctor Tweechig Haroutunian Whisper's eyes ached at the light's brilliance. This time, the mystery in the Women's Studies Department would be murder to solve.

This sounds amazing. I'm checking out the Google Books now. It's pretty much completely incomprehensible.

Edit: Holy poo poo, this is so amazingly batshit insane. The author was either high or in a manic episode when she wrote this; there's no other way to explain it.

LyonsLions fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Aug 6, 2012

Radio!
Mar 15, 2008

Look at that post.

Are romance novels too much of a low-hanging fruit?

"Alright you've had the whole Camelot story screwed up your entire life. Throw out everything you know and Angela Knight will explain the truth to you. Merlin & Nimue were really aliens who let King Arthur's court drink from the Holy Grail ( remember the fancy cup from that Monty Python movie)so that they could become vampire's and witches and save the world.

Well it might sound a little far fetched when I spell it out for you, but when Angela Knight does it trust me you'll be hanging on every word. And in this first full length story regarding the legend ( Please for the love of god pick up a copy of Hot Blooded the anthology where Lancelot, sexiest character in the court, gets the series rolling )she'll spin you into a whole different world where vampires are just trying to save us from ourselves and any other supernatural bad guys who may be lurking in and out of Camelot.

Reese Champion, immortal, hotty, wheathy CEO, & vampire is watching over the U.S., safeguarding it from harm when Erin Grayson a Latent ( someone who is psychic and has Camelot positive blood) crashes his cocktail party. To Reese she smells good enough to eat, literally. But Erin's been duped into believing Reese is in cahoots with the enemy by the enemy themself. It all leads to the pair being locked nude in an enchanted cell and forced to go at it like two bunnies to save human kind from an ancient, horrific evil. Add in an intriguing King Llyr whose a fairy ( I'm not calling names, think mythical creatures) Arthur, Morganna and the whole cast and you have a winner. It's sure to be an ongoing series so check it out!"

:psyduck:
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Night-Angela-Knight/dp/0425198804/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Bawjaws
Aug 5, 2012
Just finished Roadside Picnic by Strugatsky brothers, thought it was amazing. I highly recommend.
I'm looking for more sci-fi in a similar vain. Where the focus is more on the human impact of the fictitious evens/event, and how people adapt and deal with it.
Or any other soviet sci-fi that's worth reading.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Doomsayer posted:

I was hoping more bad content-wise than writing-wise. I teach English and get more than my fair share of poor writing, haha! It's that sort of "my god how did this trash get published?" goodness that I'm after.

There's also this classic:

quote:

The Eye of Argon is a heroic fantasy novella that narrates the adventures of Grignr, a barbarian. It was written in 1970 by Jim Theis (August 9, 1953- March 26, 2002) and circulated anonymously in science fiction fandom since then. It has been described as "one of the genre's most beloved pieces of appalling prose",[1] and has subsequently been used as part of a common science fiction convention party game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eye_of_Argon

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

LyonsLions posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, this is so amazingly batshit insane. The author was either high or in a manic episode when she wrote this; there's no other way to explain it.

Manic, I think- look at how much other stuff she's written, some of which seems to have been released by real publishers.

My brother managed the trade section of a very large college bookstore and she sent them all kinds of entreaties to carry her books, including a sample copy, because no way would anyone have bought one. Between me, my brother, my girlfriend, and two friends who have master's degrees in literature, nobody was able to finish it.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Best read in the 'familiar' version, which was missing the last couple of pages, so it just stops midway through an action scene. Finding out what actually happened is always an anticlimax.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Bawjaws posted:

Just finished Roadside Picnic by Strugatsky brothers, thought it was amazing. I highly recommend.
I'm looking for more sci-fi in a similar vain. Where the focus is more on the human impact of the fictitious evens/event, and how people adapt and deal with it.
Or any other soviet sci-fi that's worth reading.

It's not Soviet, it's Russian, but I think you might like Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033. Ignore the fact it was made into a videogame. It's a very good post-apocalyptic novel with awesome rambling fantasy bits that only a Russian author can write.

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Any good contemporary whodunit type books? I want a good mystery

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

Capsaicin posted:

The Wallender series by Henning Mankell is pretty good.

Zola
Jul 22, 2005

What do you mean "impossible"? You're so
cruel, Roger Smith...

Capsaicin posted:

I just finished Stein, Stoned by Hal Ackerman

It was lighthearted and fun, although if you hate cannabis or sixties references you should give it a pass.

Bawjaws
Aug 5, 2012

mcustic posted:

It's not Soviet, it's Russian, but I think you might like Dmitry Glukhovsky's Metro 2033. Ignore the fact it was made into a videogame. It's a very good post-apocalyptic novel with awesome rambling fantasy bits that only a Russian author can write.

Thanks. Just ordered it, along with Gateway and The Stars My Destination.

Handsome Dead
May 21, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Knowing that Metro 2033 was a book first has made me far more interested in picking it up.

Bawjaws
Aug 5, 2012

Handsome Dead posted:

Knowing that Metro 2033 was a book first has made me far more interested in picking it up.

Aye. I wouldn't have bothered if it was the other way 'round.
I did notice the author was raised in Israel and studied economics, which put me off a bit.
I think I might be turning into an anti-semite.

Also worth mentioning that Roadside Picnic was the inspiration for the S.T.A.L.K.E.R games, and also the Tarkovskiy film. The book is also given the nod a couple of times in the Metro 2033 game.
Again, I can't recommend Roadside Picnic enough.

Liongate
May 29, 2009
I Just finished Brandon Sanderson Mistborn trilogy.

In my opinion it was pretty darn good fantasy series with interesting and different "magic" system. I also recommend the follow up novel The alloy of law.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Into the third book of the WOOL Omnibus. I chose it simply by amazon reviews. It was at the top of the reviews for SciFi, clicked buy-now to our kindle and off I went.

Interesting read after having just finished Hunger Games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Fog Tripper posted:

Into the third book of the WOOL Omnibus. I chose it simply by amazon reviews. It was at the top of the reviews for SciFi, clicked buy-now to our kindle and off I went.

Interesting read after having just finished Hunger Games.

I'm kind of itching to get it since it's just 5.99 for the omnibus. It's not YA, I hope?