Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

emoltra posted:

A lot of goons are coming down on you so I'll back you up on this: Serenity looks like what would happen if Joss Whedon took a squat and busted a grumpy.

It's as obnoxiously precious as Whedon dialogue, and that takes some doing!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Speaking as someone who only saw the movie and probably won't see the show because its rabid fans have tried to force it down my throat more than once, I've always thought it looked like a giant metal space duck.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'd rather see a minifig scale Cowboy Bebop. Or a minifig scale Babylon 5. Or a minifig scale giant metal space duck!

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

Shin-chan posted:

Recognized it from the top of the building as I scrolled down the page.

Lincoln or Morrill Tower at Ohio State.

Yep!Morrill, but its pretty much the same anyways It's still a little bit lacking in detail and I'm hoping to create an actual viewable floor. It's my first time doing a somewhat big project like this and the angles are tough to get but it's been pretty fun so far! I mainly got the idea and inspiration from Paul Janssen and Ben Coifman, from their LEGO class at the university. Here's hoping that I can find some people that want to make this club become a reality!

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
I was poking around a newly opened thrift shop yesterday when I noticed a bunch of series 3 minifigure packs hanging behind the counter. I nearly died when they told me how much they wanted per pack.

you sitting down?

$.25 each. yeah.. 25 cents a pack. I bought all 14 packs they had. Gonna open them today and see which ones they are. I already have a complete series 3 set but for that price I couldn't pass em up.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

Veeb0rg posted:

I was poking around a newly opened thrift shop yesterday when I noticed a bunch of series 3 minifigure packs hanging behind the counter. I nearly died when they told me how much they wanted per pack.

you sitting down?

$.25 each. yeah.. 25 cents a pack. I bought all 14 packs they had. Gonna open them today and see which ones they are. I already have a complete series 3 set but for that price I couldn't pass em up.

Nice find there, if you get a few duplicates/triplicates you do not need let me know, there is a few S3 I need and we can work out a trade/buy them.

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.
God drat, Aztec warrior again! All I want is a friggin' Space Marine.

VV UK, how do you feel the difference? I keep mistaking the Aztec head piece for the marine chest armour.

beato fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Aug 12, 2012

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

beato posted:

You UK or US? My local TRU has a bunch of Marine's by the feel of it, I could buy you one and post it if you're UK.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

beato posted:

If you're U.S., I have an extra I can mail you.

BetterWeirdthanDead
Mar 7, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not to be a jerk, but Columbus and the OSU campus have many buildings that are way more interesting than the freshman tenement buildings.

But I do see it as a build that would be easy for multiple people to build the floors without having to be in the same place.

Crazy Pigeon
Nov 2, 2010

BetterWeirdthanDead posted:

Not to be a jerk, but Columbus and the OSU campus have many buildings that are way more interesting than the freshman tenement buildings.

But I do see it as a build that would be easy for multiple people to build the floors without having to be in the same place.

Nah, I agree with you there. I only wanted it to be my first building as it was quite literally the only place I could call my home my entire freshman year. I made a lot of good friends there, and it was a generally awesome place to live in so I thought it would work great as an inspiration model.

Also because it has much less detail than other buildings, so it would be a little bit more easier to design. This is my first time doing anything like this after all.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
We got a box of S7 at work and I was able to take my time and find a few Space Marines after striking out everywhere I've been previously.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

The Muffinlord posted:

I'd rather see a minifig scale Cowboy Bebop.

As much as I love the metal space duck, I'd rather this a hundred times more.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Lizard Combatant posted:

Good news everyone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPJbit61lyE

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I just finished building my Model House (4954) and realised that I'm not going to have any room left on my bookshelf after I get the haunted house :(

cyberia fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Aug 12, 2012

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

cyberia posted:

I just finished building my Model House (4954) and realised that I'm not going to have any room left on my bookshelf after I get the haunted house :(

Oh wow I didn't even know that house existed! Many thanks. I love it when they do proper buildings rather than scenes.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Lizard Combatant posted:

Oh wow I didn't even know that house existed! Many thanks. I love it when they do proper buildings rather than scenes.

It's a really nice set and was fun to build but it's so expensive :( I paid around AUD200 for mine on eBay and have seen the same set go for twice that a few times. Hopefully Lego will keep putting out good Creator house sets and I can grab them when they're new instead of finding out about them years later.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

cyberia posted:

It's a really nice set and was fun to build but it's so expensive :( I paid around AUD200 for mine on eBay and have seen the same set go for twice that a few times. Hopefully Lego will keep putting out good Creator house sets and I can grab them when they're new instead of finding out about them years later.

As I feared. I've only recently begun paying close attention myself. The haunted house is the first nice building I plan to get. Pretty excited, it looks amazing.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!

Lizard Combatant posted:

As I feared. I've only recently begun paying close attention myself. The haunted house is the first nice building I plan to get. Pretty excited, it looks amazing.

My current wishlist of Creator houses is:

7346 - Seaside House
4956 - House
4996 - Beach House
5766 - Log Cabin
5891 - Apple Tree House
6754 - Family Home

But I probably won't get any of them as they take up a ton of display space and they cost a ton of money. Hopefully the Haunted House is awesome enough to satisfy my cravings for a year or two.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

cyberia posted:

Hopefully the Haunted House is awesome enough to satisfy my cravings for a year or two.

If any set could, it'd be that one... you know it won't though.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

:siren: More notLego trainchat ahead :siren:

Lizard Combatant posted:

That'd be great, thanks :)
Unless that's frowned upon, though Lego supply their instructions online anyway.
Here's the scanned instructions for those two knockoff sets I posted about earlier. It's 2 images, but each one has one side of the 2 instruction sheets. The first image has the parts lists for each set. Worth noting is the parts lists don't include quantities of each part like they do with Lego instruction sheets. :suicide:

Also I got bored yesterday and combined both sets into one 4-4-4-4 duplex steam engine:

The hardest part was making the base and getting the second set of cylinders/connecting rods placed appropriately while keeping the whole thing sturdy and not snapping in half every time I picked it up.

I even managed to use almost every piece from both sets. Here's the leftovers:

I was pretty proud of myself. :smug:

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

Lizard Combatant posted:

I'd rather see a LEGO Outlaw Star, complete with giant spaceship axe.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I made a little moc while watching some movies and messing around with my sorted lego. It wasn't photographing well so I also made a lil' stand for it.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1xjgz04k87gdpoh/2012-08-12%2019.10.45.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/xnqjophr94gg1ur/2012-08-12%2019.11.02.jpg
https://www.dropbox.com/s/8tw64o6agpxrsl1/2012-08-12%2019.11.53.jpg

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

So here's this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdDU_BBJW9Y

The Affair
Jun 26, 2005

I hate snakes, Jock. I hate 'em!

That's actually pretty dern great. It's striking that the theme they hammer in on is the "Only the best is good enough" part of the company, and only touch on the creativity involved in LEGO briefly.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

The Affair posted:

That's actually pretty dern great. It's striking that the theme they hammer in on is the "Only the best is good enough" part of the company, and only touch on the creativity involved in LEGO briefly.

I like that two M:Tron sets are on the shelf behind him in the final shot. Because M:Tron was the best series.

That video is really just superb. I kinda wish it had been twice the length and shown the history between the 60s and now, though. The different lines created, the different technologies used, even the fall of Lego in the late 90s that nearly destroyed the company, the Megablok lawsuit. Lego's story is a fascinating one.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Captain Invictus posted:

I like that two M:Tron sets are on the shelf behind him in the final shot. Because M:Tron was the best series.

That video is really just superb. I kinda wish it had been twice the length and shown the history between the 60s and now, though. The different lines created, the different technologies used, even the fall of Lego in the late 90s that nearly destroyed the company, the Megablok lawsuit. Lego's story is a fascinating one.

Hopefully they do more stuff like this. Beyond the 60s though it gets more complicated via lots of different themes and issues etc.

Part of me wanted this to be half as short and have no speaking, just music to direct the drama/emotions. It really reminded me of the opening scene of Up for some reason.

Either way, fantastic video. I just wonder if LEGO is still holding true to the whole "paint the duck three times" notion when they have figs produced in China that are clearly inferior.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Here's the scanned instructions for those two knockoff sets I posted about earlier. It's 2 images, but each one has one side of the 2 instruction sheets. The first image has the parts lists for each set. Worth noting is the parts lists don't include quantities of each part like they do with Lego instruction sheets.

Wow, they really did knockoff the Lego parts wholesale. That isn't "Lego compatible" that is "selling models that could be made with Lego parts".

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

I rather like the green one and I think I can make it even better with the parts I have. Thanks man :cheers:

Also your combo train reminds me of the flying engine from Back to the Future 3 :)

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

New minifigures are officially out at my local Toys R Us. I picked up 6 at random because I didn't have time to feel around and luckily didn't get any repeats. So far the old timey divesuit is my favorite.

Check out Death Springs, my free webcomic updated every Thursday!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Would you say the diving helmet was a dead give away like the space marine's armour?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Edit: Wrong thread.

Rustie
Aug 25, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

Would you say the diving helmet was a dead give away like the space marine's armour?

Yeah most definitely, very easy to tell that one. The diving helmet is particularly awesome because they used the piece for a lego magnifying glass as the front glass of the helmet. I had thought from pictures that it was just a hole.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

Has anyone had an issue with the stickers on Lego sets going dry and cracking after a while? The Red Baron set my dad has is starting to have that problem, and my Shell Ferrari F1 car I got off Bricklink a few years ago has it too. I don't think there's any place that sells replacement stickers either :(

beato
Nov 26, 2004

CHILLL OUT, DICK WAD.

Zeether posted:

Has anyone had an issue with the stickers on Lego sets going dry and cracking after a while? The Red Baron set my dad has is starting to have that problem, and my Shell Ferrari F1 car I got off Bricklink a few years ago has it too. I don't think there's any place that sells replacement stickers either :(

I have the Scuderia Ferrari truck (8654) and all the stickers flaked off in little bits and stuck to all the other Lego that I'd stored it with. Removing all the little red flakes of sticker was a nightmare, it got everywhere including my clothes and skin.

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Taking a break from revamping my lego room to fit my retro game systems in there as well, and look what I found.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzu-kb34ZYk

It's a lego highlights of the olympics. They have more videos of full events, pretty neat.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

Zeether posted:

Have had it happen with sets I bought used, personally I never apply the stickers to my sets.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rustie posted:

New minifigures are officially out at my local Toys R Us. I picked up 6 at random because I didn't have time to feel around and luckily didn't get any repeats. So far the old timey divesuit is my favorite.
I definitely want that dive suit, I might have to check my local TRU today.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

Zeether posted:

This is a common problem, especially with 1996-2007 era stickers (my years are not exact, but you get the general idea) but fear not, there are websites that have compiled all of the lego stickers, so you could print them out on some sticky paper. I am not sure of the site off the top of my head, but it should be easy to google. Good luck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adregan
Oct 22, 2002

Rustie posted:

Is this state side or in the UK?