Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Three for three! It took a chapter longer than I hoped it would but I got both the DA parody and the song in. Enjoy...

Chapter 10 posted:

As the dawn’s light streamed through the windows of the servant’s quarter in Autumn-Fall, breakfast was being served.

“All rise. Breakfast #K1S 4K2, the Servants vs Mrs. Patdown’s latest monstrosity, the honourable Seneschal Carleton Samumu presiding.”

“Thank you Mrs. Huge,” said Carleton as he took his seat. “Is there any news on what has been going on upstairs since the arrival of that... interloper?”

“I’m sure I don’t know,” replied Mrs. Huge, as she took her seat with a thud and a grunt. “Our young lord seemed so close to being on the right track and ever since that girl’s come back, well, now his heads all a flutter.”

“I believe he was referring to the alien,” Said Burrower, tucking in his pink... handkerchief in a sinister manner? gently caress, I dunno, he’s gay, evil, and a loser. Not that there’s anything wrong with one of those.

“That’s not very nice thing to say, considering he’s our guest,” said Hannah Smiff “It’s not our place to criticize or judge others when the heavens can deal with it perfectly well in their own... Oh dammit, Daffodil, you inbred sheeps-daughter, just spilled the porridge on his lord’s repaired coat.”

“It’s not a stain, it’s a feature,” suggested Carleton. “By the way Hannah, is there any word on when Master Bates might be getting out of the dungeon?”

“He’s been down there shanking prisoners all night. Bless him, but I wish he was in bed more.” She sighed.

“I’m fine with blood-sport and people indulging in their hobbies but not when there is work to be done,” declared the seneschal. “If we are to survive the barbarians not just at the gates but within our halls we must ensure that standards are adhered.”

There was a loud thud upstairs and the scenery shook.

“Ooh, ever since that fellow from beyond the veil arrived things have been going a bit odd,” sighed Mrs. Huge, “but if our little lord insists upon him being welcome we must do as we’re told. It’s not our place to consider the goings on above us.”

There was another thud and the rock above them became loose, with one of them falling on Burrower and probably killing him.

“I suppose that’s enough breakfast,” mused Carleton, as he rose from his chair with the staff following. “Everyone to their places, please.”

Brendan snapped back into the here and now with barely a start. Now even when he daydreamed he could see through the eyes of others, although never when he was trying to focus on it.

“The art of scrying is not a craft, not an instinct, and certainly not an art,” declared the Elder. “It’s just there, and if you don’t get it at once you never will.”

‘This is great,’ thought Brendan as he shuffled his hands and relaxed.

He was seated in the designated meeting room at a hastily rearranged dining table along with Miri, facing the Elder who was lecturing and pointing at a vertical table that had unknowable scrawlings written upon it.

“If there is one thing to remember it’s that once you do this you’ll wish you never had, and you will feel compelled to do it over and over again.”

‘Fascinating.’ He mused.

“I will be scrying your brains regularly to monitor your ‘progress,’ the Elder went on. “And I will also do it to punish infractions:

Talking out of turn... that’s a scrying.

Looking at the doorway... that’s a scrying.

Staring at my feet... that’s a scrying.

Successfully scrying yourself... oh, you better believe that’s a scrying.”

‘Wonderful.’

“Also, I shall be desecrating your father’s remains and usurping your realm, plunging all of mankind into an aeon of darkness.”

‘I can’t believe she’s sitting right next to me. And she’s smiling, no, bursting into laughter oww.’ His head was suddenly compelled into the table with great force.

“Not paying attention... that’s a scrying.”

“Oww,” He spared another glance at Miri, ‘still smiling. I’m still cool.’

Miri raised her hand “Could you tell him scrying is, exactly? You’ve been talking for four hours and haven’t quite gotten around to saying that.

“Scrying” the Elder began “is being able to see. When you see, you may know. When you know, you gain power. When you have power, you may compel. By scrying, I saw how to compel his head into the desk with a thought and a gesture.”

“So... it’s magic?” She asked.

“Yes, and the more simpleminded the object of your attempts is, the better.”

“So we are both going to become magicians?”

He turned to her angrily and declared “A vulgar term! When’s the last time you heard one capable of actual magic called a magician? Call yourself a Magus, a mage, a wizzard, a sorcerer, or just lucky, but don’t lower yourself to such a level. Let others demean you, they do a better job.

“I see,” she said, taken aback.

‘I could stare at her face for hours’ thought Brendan, his head still on the desk.

“And no, not both of you. You’re a woman, you have no power!”

“Aww. That’s true.” She sighed, her whole body seeming to shimmer and shrink as she looked down at the table.

‘Such a woman.’ He reflected.

“Hah, just joking. We’re very droll oop north. You’re also here to distract him from my mistakes and provide moral support. Now, have you ever wondered why physical education class or any sports you’ve signed up for starts its session with you running a lap or three?

“Not really,” she confessed

‘Mmn running around’ Brendan thought.

“It’s because when you’re tired you’re less likely to put up any resistance to their suggestions or get up to mischief.”

“Ah, that clears it up.” She said with an insincere smile.

“Well, that’s my plan for the both of you. I’m wearing down your resistance with a tired lecture when the whole thing could be taught in about seven minutes. Now that I bring it up, though, perhaps a few laps around the castle wouldn’t hurt. Yes, five laps around Autumn-Fall, both of you.”

“Uh,” said Brendon, piping up at last “Can I just sit here for a few more minutes?”

“Fine. Miri, he’ll meet you in five minutes outside. Find something warmer and go get changed.” He glanced at Brendan’s reddening face, “Better make it ten minutes.”

Ten minutes later, wearing his surprisingly good looking and light fur coat he strode out of the main gate.

He approached Miri as she was finishing her warm up stretches and, trying and failing to keep his gaze level, commented “You’re quite right, a real fur coat puts the artificial ones to shame.”

“I know,” she replied, “isn’t it so much better? The fake ones don’t keep the cold out, or the rain off, and they never have that fresh cut smell.”

“Too true,” he said, almost zoning out again.

“Well, he said we had to go around the walls five times but didn’t say how long we could take.” She smiled at him, “I still feel like we haven’t caught up. What do you say we keep our pace low and chat?”

Brendan was sure he could have climbed five Autumn-Falls in winter or summer and not broken a sweat, but had no confidence in his running.

“That sounds great Miri,” he smiled in return. “I... don’t feel like I got the whole picture of what’s going on at the swamp.”

“Well, let’s get started,” she said and took off.

“And that’s why I had to flee under cover of night,” she concluded, coming to a stop in front of the gate.

“Fascinating,” he panted, using all of his will-power not to throw up. “I never... thought fires... could burn that way.”

She turned and began striding towards the gate, and he hastened to follow.

“Do you suppose we’re worn down enough for him?” She lightly asked.

“Four laps, he said” replied Brendan. “I’d rather be in a condition to listen to him.”

“Hmm. It’s really quite simple, you know. There are myriad degrees with which you can measure scrying but the simplest way to manage it is to consider the level of power needed to scry a recent memory from a normal man is 55.”

“I can’t scry 55. Not consciously, anyway. I can get a view of ongoing events at a short distance, but forcing a mind open is a very hard thing. And the Elder said if we don’t get it right now we may as well give up.”

“He’s said a lot of things since he started that fire.” She turned and faced him, and he immediately looked at the walls. “Brendan, perhaps you could start practicing on a more simpleminded target, like an elk or a chicken? It would also be something of a sensory experience, you don’t just see or control of their actions you feel them. It would be fascinating to hear about that.”

“You... you’d like that?

“Oh yes, to hear about those ventures would be riveting. I’m more skilled with the conceptual than the practical.”

“What?”

“I’m good at the book bit, just not the doing. Well, that and pyromancy.”

Still avoiding her gaze, Brendan declared “I’ll give it a try, Miri. Truly I will.”

Later that evening, Brendan walked into the Designated Meeting Room looking ashen.

Noticing this, the Elder asked “So what happened to you?”

“Master, that is a very long and well thought out story. It all began when I was sitting at my desk in my room and trying to scry on lesser targets. Rather than explain what happened next to you, I brought in Hogor’s cousin to spell it out.”

“A song and dance number?” The Elder piqued an incredulous eye.

“There’s no dancing.” Dancing was for entertainers who needed more style than substance. Putting on a show based on style because they need that to be the draw when their music isn’t enough. Used to be a giant undead monster showing up was enough, but now crowds want a dance of the Riverlands along with their popular music. Bastards.

Sami began:

“‘Oh, this work is going bad, it’s just going bad. It’s so rough into the mind and... what’d you do Hollow-wood?’

‘Hogor hogor ho-gor ho’

‘Oh, there’s no difference. Hey, look out maid, hey get out of here I’m scrying this whole.’

‘What? Oh hey, no!’

‘I’m in, I’m seeing this.’

One hand on the pen and one on the ink, hey!
Well, there's too much paper, I can't write, none!
I’m too tried to work fullhearted through,
A big pale and white come and crushed my work again!

Write my works till I’m fortified
Roast this mace, beat them while they’re alive
Poet’s license n' all that jive
I can't scry 55! Oh Yes! Huh!

So I jumped my brain on my man Hogor, hey!
Yeah the maid said, "Man, just one mo’
I'm gonna shove my rear end in your big ol’ joint"
Looked me in the eye, said, "You get my point?"
I said "HO!,’ Oh yea!

Write my works till I’m mortified
Boast this pace, treat them while they’re might try,
I can't scry 55! Oh Yes!!

I can't scry 55!!
I can't scry 55!!
I can't scry 55!!
I can't scry 55!!
Uh!

SOLO!

When I plowed it slow, you know it's such a feel.
And I can't get this thing for a second steal.
What used to take two hours now takes all day.
Huh - It took me 16 hours to get her to say!

Tell my works while I rock and jive.
Roast this mace, beat them while they’re alive
I can't scry 55!

No, no, no, I can't scry...
I can't scry...
I can't scry 55!”

“Thank you Sami. You didn’t need to yell solo, though, it was enough to perform it.” Turning expectantly to the Elder he finished “And that’s what happened.”

“Hmm. I’m not sure what the laws are regarding such experiences when vicarious, but I’m going to erase your memory just to be on the safe side.” Storm readied his arms at the panicking boy.

“Wait, what? No don’t!” Brendan began to back up in fear. He couldn’t afford to lose this experience if he was going to learn about what made the world work.

“Oh that’s right.” Storm relaxed, and so did Brendan. Then he lunged at the boy.

“I need to knock you out first. Prepare for the Deep Impact.”
Brendan gasped.

“No, no no,” he clarified, “It’s a piledriver.”

After picking Brendan up and piledriving his head onto the floor, the Elder grabbed his skull and began to scry through his mind, wiping the potentially incriminating memories.

When next he awoke to the dawns light streaming through his windows, Brendan couldn’t quite remember the latter half of the day but felt a wellspring of confidence that had not been there before.

Sorry Red Cross, you're going to have to make due with my preexisting donations.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Wow.

I have no idea what this book is anymore, but that's okay.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
This novel: showing why editors exist since May 2012.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

It has to stay true to the original series, after all.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Arbite posted:

Three for three! It took a chapter longer than I hoped it would but I got both the DA parody and the song in. Enjoy...

Sorry Red Cross, you're going to have to make due with my preexisting donations.
I like it.

Sami Hagar should've been cast as Jamie Lannister.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Urdnot Fire posted:

It has to stay true to the original series, after all.

Exactly. The random characters showing up for no reason and then immediately dying just makes it seem that much more... completely unrelated and entirely non-copyright infringing.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
What costume do you think GRRM dresses up in for Halloween? I'm torn between Daario and Dany skin suit.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

:laffo: "I can't scry 55," wow.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
I can't physically read these chapters anymore, my brain shuts down and now I have to take a shower

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

I can't physically read these chapters anymore, my brain shuts down and now I have to take a shower
Late or not, at least it's hitting that 50 Shades sweetspot.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Urdnot Fire posted:

Late or not, at least it's hitting that 50 Shades sweetspot.

Right in the wombmen.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Notes to the editor(s)

As I said before, I always treated the Brendan chapters as the afterglow/refraction chapters, hence the WCW, British telly, song, and so on. The chapter summation makes it basically the awakening of a young man and woman aged 13 and 15, so there was no way in hell I could be explicit with the two of them. The exception to this was in the last chapter, but I wrote the kid being several floors away from the action so I consider it akin to Bart Simpson walking in on his parents having sex and saying his first words.

Also, imagine the marketing: Not into such... novels? How about rock music, British television parodies, wrestling in the 90s, and so much more?!

The Mutato
Feb 23, 2011

Neil deGrasse Highson
lol you think our editor hasn't committed suicide

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Sophia no!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

When this is compiled into an eBook, that chapter needs to go totally House of Leaves and have font changes, upside-down passages, stains, just whatever, man.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Whatever sells.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Arbite posted:

Whatever sells.

So it needs more double inverse goatse?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Double? No no, we need to be cutting-edge, like cyberpunk! Goatsepunk DEMANDS we have hextuple goatse! Shove some gears in those chasm-like anal cavities and we'll capture the retarded steampunk demographic, too.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
dirigibles driven by goatse powered steam engines

the thought brought me to self completion

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Clockwork Goatse. A steam-powered Sybian machine. And a dirigible made of foreskins.

This and more in The Bad Thread's all new and completely original steampunk thriller The League of Extraordinary Goatmen.

Featuring historical characters like Kirk "Goatse" Johnson, Creamed Corn Guy, the swap.avi women, and the BME Pain Olympics Bifurcated Penis Guy.

Together they must fight The Shitdick. A rotund man with a scraggly grey beard, beady eyes, a haunting childlike laugh, and a sweaty sea captain's hat that smells like rancid milk.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
The Captain's hat smells like rancid milk?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

bigmcgaffney posted:

dirigibles driven by goatse powered steam engines

the thought brought me to self completion
Thanks, now I think I can safely say my arousal has reached peak arousing status.

whowhatwhere posted:

The Captain's hat smells like rancid milk?
He tries to make lemon cakes in it.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Clockwork Goatse. A steam-powered Sybian machine. And a dirigible made of foreskins.

This and more in The Bad Thread's all new and completely original steampunk thriller The League of Extraordinary Goatmen.

Featuring historical characters like Kirk "Goatse" Johnson, Creamed Corn Guy, the swap.avi women, and the BME Pain Olympics Bifurcated Penis Guy.

Together they must fight The Shitdick. A rotund man with a scraggly grey beard, beady eyes, a haunting childlike laugh, and a sweaty sea captain's hat that smells like rancid milk.

This is definitely something Alan Moore would write. Probably has written already.

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Not enough snake wizards for Alan Moore.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
Hand puppet snake wizards.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Penis puppet snake wizards.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Smallpenis puppet snake wizards.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!
Is anyone else as turned on as I am right now?

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

why oh WHY posted:

Is anyone else as turned on as I am right now?
I refer you to my previous post:

Urdnot Fire posted:

Thanks, now I think I can safely say my arousal has reached peak arousing status.
Though it could also be because I realized how much money could be made off of AGOB's film adaptation, Scent of a Wombman.

v How would Lady Stoneheart work if Cat's head was put on Robb's body?

Urdnot Fire fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Nov 2, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
This... is important.

This means something.

pr0p
Dec 8, 2011

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

When this is compiled into an eBook, that chapter needs to go totally House of Leaves and have font changes, upside-down passages, stains, just whatever, man.

Is the House of Leaves ebook actually faithful? I read the physical copy and always wondered if the readers could do the upside down, circular, slanted and multicolored text.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arbite! Nice!

We DUN fuckers! We DUN! To all those who didn't think we couldn't gently caress YOU! NOT CONSENSUALLY! OH GOD CAN YOU HEAR ME I AM making GBS threads INTO YOUR MOUTH

EDIT: Also cat on rabbit should be our book cover. Game of Bones: A Modern Saga for Modernity.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Nov 2, 2012

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
From the TV spoiler thread:

DownItGoes posted:

So I've been playing some Team Fortress 2 during the Halloween event using the name "Robb Stark"

I don't think anyone gets it and people aren't going to get the spoiler unless they've read the books :(

MK-Ultramarathon
Aug 12, 2009

Obviously someone needs to make Grey Robb mods for all the major multiplayer games for maximum spoiling.

why oh WHY
Apr 25, 2012

So like I said, not my fault. Nobody can judge me for it.
But, yeah...
Okay.
I admit it.
Human teenager Rainbow Dash was hot!

ExpletiveDeleted posted:

Obviously someone needs to make Grey Robb mods for all the major multiplayer games for maximum spoiling.

Maybe then I would have a reason to play World of Warcraft and Call of Duty consistently... No not even that would convince me to play WoW. But I do want It for CoD.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

ASOIAF's got plenty enough zombies for CoD.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

Shageletic posted:

We DUN fuckers! We DUN! To all those who didn't think we couldn't gently caress YOU! NOT CONSENSUALLY! OH GOD CAN YOU HEAR ME I AM making GBS threads INTO YOUR MOUTH

We actually still have a few chapters outstanding. Not as in chapters that are outstanding in quality, because they are all that, but chapters that have not been turned in. The organizational post is correct in what is done and what is not.

Here's what's left:

Chapter 6 - Kate [SEX] (SaviourX)

Kate sets up her first meeting with Thayor Leyman. She receives him in some chambers overlooking the sea so he'll feel comfortable. They exchange some pleasantries and drink wine and Kate finds out what it will take to get him to nicely go along and declare fealty to Jeffrey. There's some ancient fishing rights dispute he wants resolved. He seems tense, so she offers him a back rub. The wine gets to her head and soon they're kissing. She hasn't been with a man since Nathyn dies and this is both exciting a little scary for her. Do some creative stuff with the sex, but nothing too crazy since this is the first sex in the book. Anyway, after they're done boning, Kate gets him to agree to a reasonable solution and she wonders if the lords will all need such encouragement. (Answer: YES)

Chapter 9 - Sensa [SEX] (IRQ)

Sensa, ready with her new sexperience, makes a date with Jeffrey. The two swoon about and flirt for a while and then retire to the king's chambers where they do it. Sensa is swept up in the moment and actually improves the technique or whatever and Jeffrey is really pleased. He falls asleep and Sensa is right pleased with herself.

Chapter 12 – Sensa [SEX] (Undead Unicorn)

Sensa is sashaying around and doing typical young lady things when The Pound tells her to meet him in her room. She does and The Pound brings an two eastern ladies from across the sea (one of these is Ros) to meet her. The ladies have an interesting sexual practice to show her. They explain how in her land, women will sometimes strip naked and place food on themselves while lying down and let their men eat off of them. They demonstrate how it is done with one lying down and the other decorating her. Sensa notices Sender is erect through his breeches while watching. Sensa thinks that this will be very erotic and pleasing to Jeffrey. The two agree to help her do the same for the king. After the two leave, Sensa helps The Pound out with his boner problem.

Chapter 17 – Ardi (LeftistMuslimObama)

Ardi and Genden are on the road back to Autumnfall. They talk a bit about their mission but are ambushed by some bandits. The two fight them off and then make out.

Chapter 18 – Sensa (SaviourX)

The Pound and Sensa are meeting in her room, but the Pound has yet to discover a new technique for her. For some reason he recounts some story from Jeffrey and his childhood where they were always fighting, but only because they were so close. The story in some way includes the eunuch Contralculus, who was supposed to do something really neat but dropped the ball at the last second. He leaves and Sensa goes to see how her mother is doing. Kate is upset about her inability to get the southern lords to get along and Sensa tells her about how Sender and Jeffrey used to fight because they liked each other so much. Kate seems to have an epiphany and sends Sensa off.

Chapter 22 – Ardi (SaviourX)

Ardi, Genden, Brendan, Miri , Hogor and Sensa are officially thanked by Jeffrey and the court. Ardi is given a knighthood, making her both the youngest and first female knight. Ardi and Genden wander about the celebration a bit and see Brendan and Miri kissing and snuggling. They two go somewhere and kiss.

If SaviourX would just go ahead and declare me the winner of the spooky story writing contest, maybe he could get back and write those chapters he called.

If anyone wants to grab any of those, make the call. Chapter 6 already has quite a bit of work done on it, though.

Also, wasn't somebody working on a cover a while back? How's that coming?

thornghost fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Nov 2, 2012

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Dec 3, 2022

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

pr0p posted:

Is the House of Leaves ebook actually faithful? I read the physical copy and always wondered if the readers could do the upside down, circular, slanted and multicolored text.

I don't think it has any of that stuff in it, from what I've heard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

thornghost posted:

Here's what's left:

Chapter 5 – Brendan (geeves)

Uh, I finished Chapter 5 weeks ago.