Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro ate breakfast and lunch but has thus far ignored dinner. I was a bit late getting her the 2nd dose of reglan, so we'll see if she noms it overnight. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

pseudonordic posted:

Cilantro ate breakfast and lunch but has thus far ignored dinner. I was a bit late getting her the 2nd dose of reglan, so we'll see if she noms it overnight. :3:

She's a little drama queen.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx
It probably has been addressed somewhere in this thread, but five years of posts is an awful lot to go through.

Approximately how much a month does caring for a rabbit cost? I had a girlfriend in the past who had a few rabbits, and I absolutely adored them. She would always get mad at me because they liked me more than her. :3

I've been seriously considering getting a rabbit for a while now. I just haven't pulled the trigger. I know a lot about caring for them, both from her and from reading rabbit.org. I would even take care of her rabbits sometimes when they were away. I'm just wondering how much I can expect to pay each month in food/litter box materials/vet visits. I have my eye on a brother/sister on the humane society website.

Also, do rabbits know their names like dogs do? The ones I've been looking at have names, but I've really wanted two rabbits named Noam and Chompsky ever since I decided on getting bunnies.

Also, to add, here's a picture of Cletus, one of her bunnies. He died though. It was so sad.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Wouldnt Nom and Chompsky be more appropriate?

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

monsieur fatso posted:

Approximately how much a month does caring for a rabbit cost?

I'm just doing napkin math, but here's my monthly average breakdown:

Vet: $12/mo
Litter: $8/mo
Hay: $5/mo
Pellets: $3/mo
Greens: $25/mo

Hay comes from KMS Hayloft, litter comes from Amazon, pellets and greens are purchased locally.

These do not factor in the non-checkup trips to the vet. The running total on that in the four years we've had Cilantro is about $3600, averaging about $75/mo. To be fair, a large portion of that was dealing with a persistent bacterial infection for 8 months so we were frequent fliers.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

monsieur fatso posted:

Also, do rabbits know their names like dogs do? The ones I've been looking at have names, but I've really wanted two rabbits named Noam and Chompsky ever since I decided on getting bunnies.

I had a bunny growing up and she did not know her name but she also didn't like me at all so it might have been that.

GAYS FOR DAYS
Dec 22, 2005

by exmarx

Saint Darwin posted:

Wouldnt Nom and Chompsky be more appropriate?

I love it.

I'm going to talk to my landlord on Monday to just make sure it's okay I get some rabbits. They said it was when I moved in, but I want to double check. I know there are people here with cats, so I'm sure it is.

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009

I've read conflicting info about vet visits...how often should a healthy rabbit see the vet? One source (can't remember which one) said they really only need to go if they show signs of illness; otherwise a check up every few months is okay.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I think that the reason why he has it listed as a per month expense is because some months there will be no vet expenses and then another month there will be 1500$ in vet expenses. Unfortunately it doesn't take a lot for a situation to go from nothing to needing actually intense care.

luscious fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 11, 2012

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
While I can't answer for budgetting questions I can say that Harriet does recognize her own name and does come when called. Sometimes. She can be kinda stubborn. I think it might depend on the breed, cause some are smarter than others.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Wormy posted:

I've read conflicting info about vet visits...how often should a healthy rabbit see the vet? One source (can't remember which one) said they really only need to go if they show signs of illness; otherwise a check up every few months is okay.
Our vet trips are like $60 for the checkup and materials costs. She gets two checkups per year so the vet can check ears, teeth, feet, etc. we also take her in for nail trims because my wife is too jumpy to hold Cilantro for it. It comes up to about $144ish per year or $12/mo.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
On the name thing, I've heard that they learn their names quicker if their names have a lot of hard consonants in them, because it's easier to hear, but I don't know if that's true.

Every rabbit I've ever had learned their name and a few simple verbal commands, mostly relating to food. (I had one that knew to hop in her cage if I told her, "Let's go home," but she was drat near a Rhodes scholar as rabbits go.)

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

Wormy posted:

Once a year, then twice a year once the rabbit reaches "senior citizen" age (age 6 for most rabbits, age 4 for short-lived buns like Flemish Giants).

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
So, I'm taking Hass to the vet for the fist time on Friday for a check up. Any advise on making the trip better for the both of us?

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

One of my best friends called me a little while ago to tell me about his sister-in-law's new pet rabbit. It's living in a homemade cage on a back porch in a really rural area that will just be teeming with wildlife trying to get to it. This is assuming all of the dogs/cats don't scare it to death first, or the dropping temperatures aren't the death of it.

But hey, at least she wants to litter train it. (Cat Litter)

I give my friend credit for telling her this was a horrible idea months ago, but that was completely ignored. Even now she acts like he's exaggerating or just making up things when he's explained secondhand info from seeing how mine are cared for.

I'm sorry for sharing this here, because I know how depressing and exhausting it is hearing about another poor animal in a bad situation. It's just nice to be able to vent to anyone who understands how frustrating it is.

kells
Mar 19, 2009

Every time I see Lily I break into baby talk. I can't help it look at that FACE!

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I took these pictures of Paterson. He had been sitting in the same spot, in the same position, for at least an hour. I took the first picture and then moved to take a second picture. He turned for the camera, realized that I was taking a picture and ran away and hid behind the door.

At least I got some cute pictures :3:

Huh?

ANGER!

btw, that's his fan behind him.

Guigui
Jan 19, 2010
Winner of January '10 Lux Aeterna "Best 2010 Poster" Award
Just sharing one of our experiences - we currently have a 10-year old netherland dwarf, and an 11-year old mini-lop; I don't know about Patterson, but even the slightest draft seems to put these two into snuffles mode. I'll admit they were a lot more hardy back in the day when they were younger.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Guigui posted:

Just sharing one of our experiences - we currently have a 10-year old netherland dwarf, and an 11-year old mini-lop; I don't know about Patterson, but even the slightest draft seems to put these two into snuffles mode. I'll admit they were a lot more hardy back in the day when they were younger.

Paterson had the snuffles once a while ago but has had no problems since. It would be cruel to take his fan away since it makes him so happy. I often find him sitting with his face right infront of it. A while ago I posted a video of him enjoying the fan... he's happiest when he has air blowing on him.

Good to know that it is a possibility for the future though.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

luscious posted:

Paterson had the snuffles once a while ago but has had no problems since. It would be cruel to take his fan away since it makes him so happy. I often find him sitting with his face right infront of it. A while ago I posted a video of him enjoying the fan... he's happiest when he has air blowing on him.

Good to know that it is a possibility for the future though.

Mine love being outside on a windy day. It help get all that itchy loose fur out as well.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
I'm looking to get a friend for my lovely bun, she's quite lonely. She's about 3 years old and I'd rather adopt than buy from a petshop, because there seems to be a few buns needing a home.
Would I be best getting a bun that's similar in age, or would there be a preference for older / younger?

She's quite a big bun,so would a dwarf breed be okay, or would she need a bigger bun?

I did adopt a rabbit from a shelter, but bun was completely panicked by the new bun ( even though they weren't left together) and the new rabbit just kept trying to bite her, so since bun had been through some tough times and I didn't want to stress her out further, I returned the other rabbit.

But now I know that she's happier, and a lot more relaxed and friendly, so I think she might be ready, and now she's a housebun I can take the time with bonding them properly.

I'd be planning on getting a male bun, and keeping them apart until he's neutered and has all his shots.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :)

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Silverfish posted:

I'm looking to get a friend for my lovely bun, she's quite lonely. She's about 3 years old and I'd rather adopt than buy from a petshop, because there seems to be a few buns needing a home.
Would I be best getting a bun that's similar in age, or would there be a preference for older / younger?

She's quite a big bun,so would a dwarf breed be okay, or would she need a bigger bun?

I did adopt a rabbit from a shelter, but bun was completely panicked by the new bun ( even though they weren't left together) and the new rabbit just kept trying to bite her, so since bun had been through some tough times and I didn't want to stress her out further, I returned the other rabbit.

But now I know that she's happier, and a lot more relaxed and friendly, so I think she might be ready, and now she's a housebun I can take the time with bonding them properly.

I'd be planning on getting a male bun, and keeping them apart until he's neutered and has all his shots.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated :)

I would get a mature lop. Dwarves are terror machines (females especially) and I would not recommend getting one at all ever. Lops are more relaxed and it would probably be better for her to have a chill friend than a friend who is, what someone in this thread coined, a firehose of destruction.

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh

luscious posted:

I would get a mature lop. Dwarves are terror machines (females especially) and I would not recommend getting one at all ever. Lops are more relaxed and it would probably be better for her to have a chill friend than a friend who is, what someone in this thread coined, a firehose of destruction.

What about a mature three year old fuzzball lionhead?

This guy is looking for a new home, and he looks so sad in his cage :(

EDIT:

Bonus picture because awwwwww

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I haven't had any experience with them but at least go and try them out maybe? Maybe him and your bun can have a date at the shelter.

My friend has a Netherland dwarf and he's totally fine and great and loves everyone.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
I have a female unneutered lionhead right now, and she is really super sweet and nice. SHe's not nearly as evil as the other buns people say they have. I recommend one.

Prawned
Oct 25, 2010

Silverfish posted:

What about a mature three year old fuzzball lionhead?

This guy is looking for a new home, and he looks so sad in his cage :(

EDIT:

Bonus picture because awwwwww

This goddamn thread. I just got two buns and every time I come back here I want more. Gonna turn into a crazy-bunny-dude with 60 bunnies running around my house.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Prawned posted:

This goddamn thread. I just got two buns and every time I come back here I want more. Gonna turn into a crazy-bunny-dude with 60 bunnies running around my house.

Save monies, open bunny rescue when you retire.

It's what my wife and I plan to do :ohdear:

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Oh my god its too loving cute.

Wanna snuggle dat bunny.

The Hebug
May 24, 2004
I am a bug...

Prawned posted:

I've found girls usually like bunnies more than cats so you'll be okay. Way better than being a crazy cat dude/lady. Though it does seem like crazy bunny ladies run all the rescues.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Yesterday night BItsy took some of my DVDs off the shelf and started chewing on them one by one. Then she took all of the zipties off of the shelf and threw them all over the room. I cleaned up that mess just in time to see her approach Paterson, who was happily relaxed and sleeping in his own little world, pee beside his head, start grooming his butt (which totally startled him), and then try to hump him. The look on his face was just too much. He woke up, went somewhere else, and she went to sleep where he was laying.

wtf.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

luscious posted:

Yesterday night BItsy took some of my DVDs off the shelf and started chewing on them one by one. Then she took all of the zipties off of the shelf and threw them all over the room. I cleaned up that mess just in time to see her approach Paterson, who was happily relaxed and sleeping in his own little world, pee beside his head, start grooming his butt (which totally startled him), and then try to hump him. The look on his face was just too much. He woke up, went somewhere else, and she went to sleep where he was laying.

wtf.

Because it is a rabbit.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

grack posted:

Because it is a rabbit.

She is her own special kind of evil.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

Couldn't help but laugh reading that, the pee/groom/hump combo was just too much.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!
I had quiet a surprise yesterday while taking Hass to the vet for a check up. It turns out that Hass is a girl. I had to go back and tell my friend who gave me the bun the news because I was told that she was a boy and was most likely neutered.

Now I'm going to have to find a place to get her spayed. I can't afford the $800 quote I got from the vet.

The337th
Mar 30, 2011

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

I've recently become a surrogate mother to my best friend's rabbit, dunno what breed she is, little black thing with a white tummy and big pointy ears is about as much as I can say. She was very friendly when he first bought her, but after he moved to his new place his housemate wouldn't let her run about, not even in his own room. I've recently taken her off him because we both felt it was unfair that she couldn't get exercise, and I'll probably have her for a fairly long time as his living situation at the moment is fairly unstable.

Anyway! I let her out most days and I'm pretty sure she's happy here as she'll spend the first half hour or so jumping about the room before she'll just flop down to the ground and chill out.

Only thing is, she's taken to pooping on my bed, which I can kinda deal with because it's dry and I hoover every other day. She also pees on it, which isn't so great. I'd taken to laying towels down on my bed while she's out, but the second I leave the room she'll jump on the uncovered part and pee. I'm assuming it's some territorial thing and thinking maybe it'll be fixed by having her done, but any tips to help fix this would be welcome because I'd feel really crap not letting her out and I don't want her to hate me because I have to chase her off my bed.

edit: personality-wise, she's lovely but a bit of a dick. The other day I woke up and she was laid down in her cage not moving. I'm a bit paranoid about her suddenly dying because she's not mine, so I said her name, no response. Whistled, no response, clapped, no response. I finally get out of bed and she moves. She also goes mad when she hears rustling packets, as she assumes she's getting raisins. Was quite funny when my housemate was stood at my door eating a pack of peanuts and wondering why the rabbit was headbutting his ankles.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Nov 17, 2012

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

voodoonoid posted:

I had quiet a surprise yesterday while taking Hass to the vet for a check up. It turns out that Hass is a girl. I had to go back and tell my friend who gave me the bun the news because I was told that she was a boy and was most likely neutered.

Now I'm going to have to find a place to get her spayed. I can't afford the $800 quote I got from the vet.

I'm glad you're not taking this to mean "spay later" or not at all. And while a spay is more expensive than a neuter it absolutely doesn't have to cost $800. Though it strongly depends on where you live.

Oh and a bunny pic to complete the post. I just moved house and these two are getting comfy already. And by that I mean either licking the chair until it's got a huge wet spot on it or trying to dig a hole in it.

happyflurple posted:

I'm assuming it's some territorial thing and thinking maybe it'll be fixed by having her done, but any tips to help fix this would be welcome because I'd feel really crap not letting her out and I don't want her to hate me because I have to chase her off my bed.

First of all SPAY, absolutely do this, for her health as well as for your bed. It does help a whole lot.

Secondly they're not good at learning not to do things. You can put a litterbox on your bed to try and get her to go in there but to be honest it's better to just shut the bedroom door when she's out. Mine aren't getting anywhere near my bed I can tell you that. If you don't have a separate bedroom consider fencing the bed part of the room off.

DS at Night fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Nov 17, 2012

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

I was thinking spaying would be the thing, have suggested it to my mate now as having read what you said and looking it up it's obviously important. He says we'll get it done as soon as his next paycheck is through, told him I don't mind paying half because I love her and she keeps me company.

Sadly I'm in a shared house so she only gets to run around in my bedroom, so I'm guessing it's just gonna be my task to make sure she doesn't pee everywhere. Is a shame because she's sat next to me right now nuzzling my elbow but I know she's gonna pee.

Will definitely get her spayed and see how it goes. She's a lovely little thing and I love seeing her binky about and whatnot, but I also can't be arsed washing my sheets every day!

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Cilantro seems to be favoring her left hind leg over her right hind leg lately. She's been reluctant to hop up to get her treat the last two nights and has been tip-toe walking more in her room than hopping.

She might have tweaked her leg on our hardwood floors but she's been getting around well for the last 3 years. If she's not hopping better by Monday night, she's going to the vet Tuesday morning.

pseudonordic fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rodent Mortician
Mar 17, 2009

SQUEAK.

happyflurple posted:

Will definitely get her spayed and see how it goes. She's a lovely little thing and I love seeing her binky about and whatnot, but I also can't be arsed washing my sheets every day!

Get a picnic blanket and throw it over your bed before you let her out. They're waterproof on the bottom, so even if she does pee it won't get the good stuff!