Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
I'm glad to hear she's perking up a bit! I hope it's just some kind of case of the derps and that she'll continue to eat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

She'll have you know that she does not get "the derps" as she is a regal and commanding conure.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

RaspberryCommie posted:

So I've got a pair of Quakers/Monks, named Amigo and Ozzie.

I've had Amigo for over ten years now, and he is the sweetest, friendliest bird I've ever seen. If he wants attention he'll run up to you and either sidle up and cuddle, or give you a little nip while saying "Good booooy."

Ozzie, though... we got Ozzie a few years ago from an owner who didn't want her anymore, and could not have been more obviously unsuited to owning a bird. Ozzie is incredibly badly behaved, and loud. Sometimes she'll go into screaming fits, and when I go to check on what's bothering her, she'll start repeating "shut the gently caress up" over and over.

After the two of them got used to each other, I put them in the same cage since he seemed to be a good influence on her, and to a point I was right. She's quieter and slightly friendlier if I can get her away from the cage, but she seems to be having the opposite effect on him. Where he used to just nip for attention, now sometimes he'll bite down hard to the point of drawing blood.

I've been able to reverse most of this effect on him, but I just don't know what to do with her. I've tried leaving the room when she starts shrieking in case it was an attention thing, but that didn't stop her, and she's still aggressive and territorial. The best I know to do is just to handle her to get her used to me, but that's not done much of anything for her behavior. At least she's not taking bits of skin off of me at least?
I've heard that Quakers are especially prone to being cage territorial, I'm not sure what the best fix for that is. Your best bet is operant conditioning, removing good things (you, food, toys, stimulation by a short time-out in a boring, empty room) when she's being bad and providing tons of good things when she's behaving the way you want (or at least more like the way you want). You'll have to know what is rewarding for your particular bird, and you have to be 100% consistent and always vigilant, and it's going to take a long time regardless. It seems you have a good instinct for it, so keep doing what you're doing. You can also look into clicker training, which tends to also emphasize operant conditioning.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Battle Pigeon posted:

You say it didn't stop her-did you ever, at any point, go back into the room while she was still screaming? Even if it was, say, two hours later and oh god you can't take this anymore I just want to grab something near the bird cage and can't wait anymore? When Ohtori came home, he would scream nonstop and I would have to wait for half an hour, an hour, multiple hours before he quietened down enough that I could go in and not have him think his screaming worked. In a tiny apartment with four rooms, that really sucked, especially since he's kept in the room where the computers and fun stuff is.

When she shrieks, the best thing to do is ignore her, as hard as that can be. Does she have enough toys and things to do in her cage? Does she yell at any particular time, or when you do anything in particular? Does she have anything that could be used as a nesty place? You might want to look into mimimising hormonal behaviours if you haven't already-for example, does she get 12 hours of darkness each day? Does she see Amigo as a mate?

If she's getting pissy about you handling her, it may be better to take a step back-she could be biting because you're forcing her (in her eyes) to interact when she doesn't want to, and biting is an attempt to stop that. Will she step up on a perch? You could also look into clicker training and target training-you could teach her to go to a spot without having to handle her, for example, and it may be easier for you to shape her behaviour that way.

Yeah, I usually come back after 20 or so minutes and she's stopped screaming. I'm almost certain she does it for attention as Amigo has this particular scream he does if he sees something that scares him, and she's started mimicking that and does it whenever because she knows that'll make me come check on them.

As for toys, yeah, they have toys. Amigo plays with them all the time, but she doesn't even touch them. She just stays on the bottom of their cage, or up on their food container or water bottle and just stares at me all day. When I let them out of their cage, she just climbs up to the top and stares at me from there. Sometimes she divebombs my cockatiels or my head though. Never making contact, but I'm not sure if it's an attempt at play or a threatening gesture.

Also she will step up, yes. But only if I can get her off of the cage to begin with. And I think she does see him as a mate, as they've attempted to mate several times. I say attempted because Amigo doesn't seem to know how to do it.

DarkHorse posted:

I've heard that Quakers are especially prone to being cage territorial, I'm not sure what the best fix for that is. Your best bet is operant conditioning, removing good things (you, food, toys, stimulation by a short time-out in a boring, empty room) when she's being bad and providing tons of good things when she's behaving the way you want (or at least more like the way you want). You'll have to know what is rewarding for your particular bird, and you have to be 100% consistent and always vigilant, and it's going to take a long time regardless. It seems you have a good instinct for it, so keep doing what you're doing. You can also look into clicker training, which tends to also emphasize operant conditioning.

That would be a bit difficult as they both share a cage, and if I remove the toys I'd be taking them away from him as well. Plus as I said, I think I've seen her play with them once in the entire time I've had her.

Anyway, I've had Amigo for nearly fifteen years now, but this is the first I've ever heard of clicker training. Maybe it's because I've never actually had to do any kind of remedial training for him?

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
Yeah, if everything is hunky-dory the only reason to do clicker training is if you want to do crazy complicated tricks. If there are problems, though, clicker training is great because you can reward specific actions precisely (and it also trains the trainer).

Check out the dog training thread by a life less to get an idea of the proper way to do it. I'm sure there are bird-specific examples you can find online but the principles will be mostly the same. I think she goes into operant conditioning too.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Novolo is much better. The vet looked her over and took some blood and pronounced her reasonably healthy. The tech did an awesome job of making sure we knew about basic bird care (and was particularly impressed that we knew things about nutrition and behavior - apparently there's a lot of seed diet birds that come in). On Saturday we will know how the cultures came out, and we have been duly chastened to not let her have any dairy at all, no matter what acrobatics she accomplishes to get to it. I've been scared straight and I won't be letting her lick my yogurty spoon any more.

Thanks for putting up with my histrionic hourly posts, guys. Looks like we're out of the woods.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Pile of Kittens posted:

We all made it through the night, and I learned that I rather love being in an 85 degree room all night. Reminds me of Burning Man, I guess. This morning I asked my boyfriend if we could just keep our room this temperature all the time, and he just glared at me.

Novolo is looking less puffy, but is also quieter than usual (but still clambering around and begging for my granola). Our appointment is at 4:30. I'm considering skipping class so I can continue shoving millet at her.

I'll be damned, she's back up to 60 grams. She's refusing to eat her pellets, though...

Yay! Bird is better! Give her soy yogurt!

Also, as a person of the man breed, nothing on earth is worse than trying to sleep while hot. Don't hate the glare, hate the fact that women are freezing and men are burning up AND MEN ARE FROM MARS WOMEN ARE FROM VENUS ah har har har har

I hate myself. :stare:

Andrias Scheuchzeri
Mar 6, 2010

They're very good and intelligent, these tapa-boys...
That is excellent news! See, I'm still holding out for a rare cross-species case of derps--or, more seriously, some useful results from the labwork. Keep feeling better, little Novolo.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.

Ha, in my apartment it's the opposite. I'll be the one freezing while my girlfriend complains that it's too warm.

I live vicariously through all of your birds until I have the space and money to get a derp of my own, since I remember from the Quaker my stepdad had when I was younger just how obnoxious they are when improperly raised -- good luck Novolo!

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Prototypical posted:

Ha, in my apartment it's the opposite. I'll be the one freezing while my girlfriend complains that it's too warm.

I live vicariously through all of your birds until I have the space and money to get a derp of my own, since I remember from the Quaker my stepdad had when I was younger just how obnoxious they are when improperly raised -- good luck Novolo!

Maybe, but if you raise them properly they're the sweetest little things. So long as you can stand the noise in the morning.

Amigo likes to share my food and drink too. I never let him have anything that would be bad for him, but I let him take bits out of my hamburger or whatever.

It's adorable as hell when he drinks out of my glass though. He'll hop up to the rim, and then he'll make a little burp noise before he takes a drink because he thinks that's what he's supposed to do. (And before anyone asks, I only let him do this with water, or something else appropriate for birds. Never soda or alcohol or anything)

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Pile of Kittens posted:

Novolo is much better. The vet looked her over and took some blood and pronounced her reasonably healthy. The tech did an awesome job of making sure we knew about basic bird care (and was particularly impressed that we knew things about nutrition and behavior - apparently there's a lot of seed diet birds that come in). On Saturday we will know how the cultures came out, and we have been duly chastened to not let her have any dairy at all, no matter what acrobatics she accomplishes to get to it. I've been scared straight and I won't be letting her lick my yogurty spoon any more.

Thanks for putting up with my histrionic hourly posts, guys. Looks like we're out of the woods.

Yeah, birds can't digest dairy properly so it probably wasn't life threatening, but it's great that you brought her to the vet! Thank god Novolo is fine. :3:

Also here's a gift, a video of my friend's parrotlet doing a sexy dance.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsZGwOSuwIw

Whoever said in the Gabriel Foundation thread that parrots are like soap opera actors are right, the parrotlet loves the yellow lovebird, but she doesn't like him and is a lesbian lover of another green lovebird, which in turn has a love hate relationship with my conure, who has a sort of on-off relationship with another guy's quaker.

Parrots. :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I'm such a sucker. Novolo will totally charm me into giving her whatever I'm eating, even when I know it's not great for her. I mean, just a little won't hurt? Okay, maybe a little more... and maybe a little more... :sigh:

unprofessional
Apr 26, 2007
All business.
Don't feel bad - there's a zoo in Florida using skittles as training treats.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

At bird club this week, Kiwi the eclectus had his face covered in potato chip crumbs. It was kinda :3: but also :wtc: don't give your bird salty chips please.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Those are nutritionally bad, but lactose can cause an intestinal fuckup quite easily apparently. Soy yogurt it is. Good thing I live in a vegetarian house with a buncha hippies who will happily eat the extra, because I'm not eating that poo poo.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

loving hell. She's back down to 54 g, but not fluffy at least. And she refuses to eat her pellets. Think I should try soaking them in soymilk? She loves my granola when it's in that.

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.

Pile of Kittens posted:

loving hell. She's back down to 54 g, but not fluffy at least. And she refuses to eat her pellets. Think I should try soaking them in soymilk? She loves my granola when it's in that.

Soaking pellets in orange juice and later, warm water was the only way I could get Peep to eat pellets at first.

I'd suggest warming the soy milk, soaking some pellets in it, then when they're soft, mashing them up into a nice, warm, milky mash. She might well like that.

Milli
Sep 28, 2009

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me

I hope Novolo is doing okay!! :ohdear:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I couldn't figure out what she was staring at below her cage and whining for... then I realized that she could see the bag of millet from her cage. No wonder she's refusing to eat pellets! The millet is so close.

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib

Pile of Kittens posted:

I couldn't figure out what she was staring at below her cage and whining for... then I realized that she could see the bag of millet from her cage. No wonder she's refusing to eat pellets! The millet is so close.

Yeah my female budgie Birdy is not usually that friendly and has never been receptive to touch or really tried to be close to me beyond preferring to be in the same room. When she sat on her cage door yesterday and started making eyes at me while singing softly I was so confused...then I realized she was staring directly into my bowl of popcorn.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
Zippy has also decided that whatever I'm eating is absolutely delicious and she must have it now, OMG.

I've actually started leaving new foods I want her to try around the house. I'll eat from the pile in front of her and let her "find" it during exploring time so she feels very clever for discovering a forbidden treasure.

Like plum.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Heh, a drawing of cockatoos won me an iPod, so my attitude towards them has grown a little more positive. Thanks galahs. :)

Pile of Kittens posted:

Wow, Ohtori is almost twice her weight. She's so tiny, even for a Green Cheek! If the vet wasn't worried though she must just be a tiny bird who's a little on the light side right now. I'd be letting her have most of the things she wants just to get her to put some weight on, and deal with any pickiness later. The idea of a conure that won't eat is completely foreign to me, though.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I thought Novolo was a 'tiel, either way, I hope she gets better :ohdearsass:

Ritz has still been sneezing in the morning, way more often than usual. However, he doesnt sneeze at all throughout the day. I called the vet, they said it could be allergies, or it could be a sinus infection or something else. HIs nose looks normal, he's not blowing out any discharge or wheezing at all, and he's actually gained 3 grams since Monday, piggy.

The vet charges around $220 for visit/culture or $120ish for gram stain and visit. I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to obviously, what would bird crazies do?

Just thought about this.. When he makes the kiss sound, he makes it with his nose I think, so he may just be doing it because he knows that when I'm half asleep I'll sit up and look him if he sneezes. If that's the case :argh:

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 18:19 on Nov 17, 2012

Wozbo
Jul 5, 2010

SaNChEzZ posted:

I thought Novolo was a 'tiel, either way, I hope she gets better :ohdearsass:

Ritz has still been sneezing in the morning, way more often than usual. However, he doesnt sneeze at all throughout the day. I called the vet, they said it could be allergies, or it could be a sinus infection or something else. HIs nose looks normal, he's not blowing out any discharge or wheezing at all, and he's actually gained 3 grams since Monday, piggy.

The vet charges around $220 for visit/culture or $120ish for gram stain and visit. I don't want to spend the money if I don't have to obviously, what would bird crazies do?

Just thought about this.. When he makes the kiss sound, he makes it with his nose I think, so he may just be doing it because he knows that when I'm half asleep I'll sit up and look him if he sneezes. If that's the case :argh:

Did he take a bath? Sometimes its that.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

SaNChEzZ posted:

Novolo sneezes for attention too, because I'll always look at her and primly say, "bless you!"

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pile of Kittens posted:

Novolo sneezes for attention too, because I'll always look at her and primly say, "bless you!"

Yeah, Pookie fake-sneezes all the time too, but I know for a fact that it is entirely for attention because if I get concerned and check up on her about it she runs off to a corner and giggles.

This is why one of her permanent nicknames is "Dreadful"

Or "Terrible Parrot".

(I really do address her by both of the above when she is being really awful. She thinks they are funny.)

Edit: She really is awful.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I dunno.. he's sneezed twice today, but both times he was mid preen and figured it'd be a good idea to pick his nose with his toe. Birds.

All other signs point to healthy, still flying around like a hellbat, playing with toys, eating food, begging to come out etc. If he's still sneezing Monday I'll take him in I guess.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pookah posted:

Yeah, Pookie fake-sneezes all the time too, but I know for a fact that it is entirely for attention because if I get concerned and check up on her about it she runs off to a corner and giggles.

This is why one of her permanent nicknames is "Dreadful"

Or "Terrible Parrot".

(I really do address her by both of the above when she is being really awful. She thinks they are funny.)

Edit: She really is awful.

She sounds the opposite of awful to me :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I broke my birds. Archer and Charlie have been warking at each other all afternoon, by which I mean they've just been saying "wark" to each all afternoon.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

SaNChEzZ posted:

I dunno.. he's sneezed twice today, but both times he was mid preen and figured it'd be a good idea to pick his nose with his toe. Birds.

All other signs point to healthy, still flying around like a hellbat, playing with toys, eating food, begging to come out etc. If he's still sneezing Monday I'll take him in I guess.
I've seen cockatiels go on sneezing fits from their own birdy dust while preening, so it's not unheard of. You'd think they'd be immune to their own dander, but derp :derptiel:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

We got a call back from the vet. The culture came back clean, but the blood chemistry levels were all wonky in a way that indicated fatty liver disease. This is quite uncommon in young birds, apparently, so we'll be going back in for more testing next week. It won't kill her right now, so I'm not worried, just a bit exasperated with whoever was in charge of breeding and diet that resulted in a 1.5 year old conure with fatty liver disease.

In conclusion, here is Novolo trying to eat my boyfriend's glasses while he takes a nap.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Pile of Kittens posted:

We got a call back from the vet. The culture came back clean, but the blood chemistry levels were all wonky in a way that indicated fatty liver disease. This is quite uncommon in young birds, apparently, so we'll be going back in for more testing next week. It won't kill her right now, so I'm not worried, just a bit exasperated with whoever was in charge of breeding and diet that resulted in a 1.5 year old conure with fatty liver disease.

In conclusion, here is Novolo trying to eat my boyfriend's glasses while he takes a nap.

I'm sorry to hear about her health problems, but I showed my wife your picture and said "See! It's not just Scout who likes glasses!"

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
All birds love glasses. They also love keyboards. Why is a total mystery to us simpleminded humans.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Going to call and hopefully bring Ritz to the vet tomorrow, er today. It's 1 AM and he's sneezing in his cage multiple times. It's been raining here lately so it's not dry anymore, so I doubt that's the cause. I'm going to clean his cages a bit tomorrow. It's so weird, it's only when he's in his sleep cage, when he's in the living room during the day he does his normal sneeze thing, which is if he picks his nose, or takes a bath.

:smith:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Pile of Kittens posted:

I'm glad you have an answer, even if it's not a great one. Hopefully she'll be fine in no time and stay that way. :)

mjs6643 posted:

All birds love glasses. They also love keyboards. Why is a total mystery to us simpleminded humans.

Ohtori couldn't care less when I wear mine, but when they're on the shelf above the sink then it's fun to try to throw them off before the humans see. Steve doesn't care at all, but, he's Steve.

Neither of them care about keyboards unless it's to walk across them.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Going to call and hopefully bring Ritz to the vet tomorrow, er today. It's 1 AM and he's sneezing in his cage multiple times. It's been raining here lately so it's not dry anymore, so I doubt that's the cause. I'm going to clean his cages a bit tomorrow. It's so weird, it's only when he's in his sleep cage, when he's in the living room during the day he does his normal sneeze thing, which is if he picks his nose, or takes a bath.

:smith:

Anything different in the sleep cage? Could the sleeping hut have accumulated dust or anything like that?

Fat Dio
Feb 27, 2010

Does any variation of toenail-buffing perches work? I hate having to clip the Tiny Bird's nails, it's a big ordeal for her and makes her super scared and mistrustful of people all over again.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

mjs6643 posted:

Amigo hates my glasses. Every time I have him sitting on my shoulder he tries to rip my glasses off my face or tries to pry a lens out.

I think he thinks it's some kind of animal attacking my face.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Fat Dio posted:

Does any variation of toenail-buffing perches work? I hate having to clip the Tiny Bird's nails, it's a big ordeal for her and makes her super scared and mistrustful of people all over again.

They don't work for nails, and they can cause foot problems, so it's better to towel her. Here's a really good pictorial guide to using a towel and velcro restraint:
http://www.hari.ca/first-aid-practice-makes-perfect-when-it-comes-to-towel-restraint/

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
My boyfriend is weird and took a video of Birdy eating some kale... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOKDgvoZsnU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I think I mentioned in the last thread, there was an advert by someone local online offering parrot training courses, and I emailed them to find out if they spoke English (yes!), if they had qualifications, what they offered, and generally nerd out about bird stuff. After a few replies they suddenly stopped responding, so I thought either they took something I said the wrong way, or didn't want to talk to someone who wasn't interested in paying. Oh well, move on. That was in September.

Yesterday I got a response from them, saying sorry it took so long but they don't have internet (by choice!) and just use a friend's computer if they really need something, then gave a big reply to the last email I sent. They also asked, did I live in X area? Because their friend saw two people with a small parrot in the park while he was out walking his husky. Yup, that's definitely us. A guy with a husky, you say? It could have been someone who was just walking by in the distance, people often walk their dogs where we took Ohtori. Or, things could get even better-last time we took him out on a big walk where people were around somewhat, a couple with a husky were walking towards us. Ohtori was on my partner's back, so the couple wouldn't have been able to see him. As they walked past us, for some reason Ohtori took GREAT OFFENSE to the husky and suddenly screamed bloody murder at it (anger, not fear), frightening the couple and then embarassing them when they saw where the noise was coming from. They walked away laughing with a very confused dog.

I really hope that's the friend they mentioned. Small world!