Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Oh, god, uglynoodles, I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I'm sorry uglynoodles. :smithcloud:

But it isn't your fault. I think something was up because the fact he was selling you an unweaned baby seems kind of weird.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh god I'm so sorry. It is definitely not your fault, when Cassian died he was already wasting away for two days, there's no chance that anything you could have done killed him.

poo poo, I just don't know what to say. :smith:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

I really just wish this guy would give us our £90 back so that I can go to a pet store and try again and forget this whole mess.
He says he will ask around his other breeder friends to see if they have a bird they can replace mine with for free, but I'm not really satisfied with that. I only had him a day but I loved him.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I really, really appreciate it.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Hey, uglynoodles. I have some possible ideas. Is there poop anywhere in the cage? Did you see him defecate when he was out with you? If there isn't any waste, there was something wrong to begin with. I'm not sure how feasible it'd be for you to check his body, but I'd finger the crop to see if it was full.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

uglynoodles posted:

I really just wish this guy would give us our £90 back so that I can go to a pet store and try again and forget this whole mess.
He says he will ask around his other breeder friends to see if they have a bird they can replace mine with for free, but I'm not really satisfied with that. I only had him a day but I loved him.

Thanks everyone for your comments. I really, really appreciate it.
I'm so sorry for your loss. :(

That's really lovely of the breeder to be like this.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Official Bizness posted:

Hey, uglynoodles. I have some possible ideas. Is there poop anywhere in the cage? Did you see him defecate when he was out with you? If there isn't any waste, there was something wrong to begin with. I'm not sure how feasible it'd be for you to check his body, but I'd finger the crop to see if it was full.

Upon cursory examination his stools seem like they were a bit watery. Possible intestinal infection?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

uglynoodles posted:

Upon cursory examination his stools seem like they were a bit watery. Possible intestinal infection?

Oh God I'm so sorry...

With their droppings, there should be a little "water" around the dropping because they do all their business at once.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Deadly Chlorine and Battle Pigeon, will you please email me at aylesworth (at) google's mail service? I have a question for you guys (gals).

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Not for babies close to being fully-weaned. With the formula being closer to a paste at this stage, solid stools are more usual. Times of stress will make the stool watery, though, and a complete change in environment would be enough to stress any bird.

drat it. I'm sorry, uglynoodles. The breeder should be doing something for you. :smith:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

uglynoodles posted:

I would bet money that the hand feeding for the lil guy was going wrong somehow. From everything I've read, doing it correctly is very hard and if he was doing it for the first time...
He should have weaned it completely before giving him to you. I am so sorry you had to go through this :(. I can't imagine it was because of anything you did.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

uglynoodles, I don't know if you were being literal (so sorry if you weren't), but a pet store may not be the best idea to get another bird, if you decided too. Though of course there are good ones out there. If you wanted to post a general area, perhaps I/others could help look for a breeder or someone in the area around you. Or we could give a list of things to look for/avoid when choosing someone to get a bird from. Apologies if that sounds condescending or anything.

SaNChEzZ posted:

Deadly Chlorine and Battle Pigeon, will you please email me at aylesworth (at) google's mail service? I have a question for you guys (gals).

Just emailed you!

thomas kingo
Apr 6, 2008
My budgie's developed a weird habit. He spends hours licking on his metal toy bells, on the bars or anything else made of metal. Is this behavior caused by some sort of deficiency? Is it hormonal? It's been like this for a week now.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

thomas kingo posted:

My budgie's developed a weird habit. He spends hours licking on his metal toy bells, on the bars or anything else made of metal. Is this behavior caused by some sort of deficiency? Is it hormonal? It's been like this for a week now.

What's his diet like? He might just be weird.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

It might be itty bitty specks of calcium from hard water or food remnants that he's splashed out of his water dish. Birds. v:derptiel:v

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

thomas kingo posted:

One of my parakeets likes to bite the bars of her cage until her beak slips off, making a "PING!" noise. She will do this for hours... :stare:

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The vet says that Scout either has The Clap or TB. Both of them treatable but will take a bit of time.

Scout, what have you been doing at night? <:mad:>

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

mikerock posted:

The vet says that Scout either has The Clap or TB. Both of them treatable but will take a bit of time.

Scout, what have you been doing at night? <:mad:>
Slipping out at night to hook up with cheap sparrows without using protection, apparently

thomas kingo
Apr 6, 2008

Battle Pigeon posted:

What's his diet like? He might just be weird.

Not as balanced as I'd like. I'm constantly introducing him to fruits and veggies, but so far he's only taken to eating apples and the occasional piece of lettuce. I don't know; he might be weird, but I'm just trying to understand why my little guy turns from cuddly to completely OCD for hours on end.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We suspect it is a pre-existing condition that she had before we got her. We thought what she was suffering from was a respiratory infection, and might have been part of it initially, but her treatment for that has made her better but exposed the underlying problem: her promiscuity. Upside is she LOVES her medicine and gets excited when she sees the medicine bottle.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Captain Log posted:

One of my parakeets likes to bite the bars of her cage until her beak slips off, making a "PING!" noise. She will do this for hours... :stare:

My budgie does the exact same thing when he wants to be let out. In the other cage he spends time in he'll get on a ladder and use his beak to leverage it and clang it against the cage until I let him out.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

uglynoodles posted:

I don't think he's really selling them as a business.
He had some conures who reproduced and weren't feeding two of the young, so he hand fed them. Both birds looked well.

This sounds like the hatchlings were runty already and the parents rejected them. Coupled with the breeder screwing up the hand feeding, I think it stinks even worse.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.

Captain Log posted:

My quakers do this too. They do it half when they want out and half just for attention.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

How are you holding up, uglynoodles?

dopaMEAN
Dec 4, 2004

Pile of Kittens posted:

How are you holding up, uglynoodles?

Seconded. I don't even have a bird, but your posts broke my heart this morning. I really, truly hope you're doing better. And that the breeder gives you your money back.

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
Ugh, I'm so sorry Noodles. Just reading that made me decide that my conure will spend today on my shoulder and no where else. Well, until he bites me and flies away.

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

He won't answer his texts anymore. I don't think he will be helping us any further.

He's well intentioned I think but... Really weird... Here's what happened. He said that rather than refund me he'd ask around his breeder friends for a bird to replace mine with at no cost. He said it might not be a conure, but he'd look. I wasn't too pleased with this as it seems a roundabout and complex way of solving the matter, but I said if that's what he's willing to do, it'd be nice if he'd look into that for me. That was my exact wording. It'd be nice if you looked into that for me. I figured he'd call around and ask some questions and report back if he found anything...

A few hours later he sends us a message saying he has driven down to Liverpool and bought a cockatiel out of pocket.

The hell!?

It is at this point that I am really confused. I said that it was a very nice gesture but I'd thought he'd confirm things with me first and had I known he planned to go to Liverpool and pick up some random bird, I'd have stopped him. It isn't my intention to waste anyone's time or money. I just don't know why it has become this giant stupid mess. The guy seemed so genuine and I still think he's tried to make this right but just in a very confusing way... Why couldn't he just have given me my money back?

I just want Ridley back. I know I didn't have him long but he really touched my heart, that little guy, and I really wanted him. I've had the cage next to me ready for his arrival for weeks. Now it's empty again.

A couple of you goons have given me some dollars towards getting a new bird. I can't express how much that means to both me and my partner. Thank you so much. We hope to try again very soon when we've got enough and this time hope the little guy doesn't just... Die. Money is very tight this December and we would have been okay with the expense if this guy hadn't just stolen from us in effect.

It's been a rough day yesterday and today and I've not been feeling so awesome today but you guys have really helped. Thank you.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

May be a bit harsh sounding, but it doesn't sound like the guy has tried to make this right at all. He would have given you your money back if he wanted to do that-even if he interrogated you about the circumstances of death first. Instead he's making excuses and now avoiding you. He may not have even gone to Liverpool for the 'tiel like he said, he could have got it from one of his friends if they have an aviary. Not cool, breeder dude.

Do you have enough for another bird? If you were to get another sometime soon, would you like any of us to help you look around for a new breeder/etc?

I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Battle Pigeon posted:

May be a bit harsh sounding, but it doesn't sound like the guy has tried to make this right at all. He would have given you your money back if he wanted to do that-even if he interrogated you about the circumstances of death first. Instead he's making excuses and now avoiding you. He may not have even gone to Liverpool for the 'tiel like he said, he could have got it from one of his friends if they have an aviary. Not cool, breeder dude.

Do you have enough for another bird? If you were to get another sometime soon, would you like any of us to help you look around for a new breeder/etc?

I'm sorry this happened to you. :(

Exactly. My entire reaction to the story above with the bizarre behavior of the "breeder" was one of :psypop:

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

By next week, we should have enough.
I'm in Manchester UK. I know a few shops have some Conures in right now and I was going to check them out before I commit.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Why'd the bad breeder have to drag an innocent derpatiel into this? :smithcloud:

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

mjs6643 posted:

Why'd the bad breeder have to drag an innocent derpatiel into this? :smithcloud:

Seriously, derp/=conure. He may as well have gotten a pug.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Seriously, derp/=conure. He may as well have gotten a pug.

That breeder would probably kill the pug too.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I know it's Christmastime, but you may consider saving up a bit so that you have enough for a possible emergency vet visit in case you get unlucky twice. It's generally a bad idea to get a bird if you aren't down for vet expenditures, especially from a pet store.

I also recommend you look for a REAL breeder. Don't be turned off by this guy's complete lack of ethics and common sense. Breeders are usually much more supportive and reasonable, and it's better to support small aviaries than pet stores, at least here in the states. Also, it would give you a chance to ask around... he claims to have breeder friends, yes? It would be a shame if those friends found out about his irresponsible and frankly lovely behavior, wouldn't it?

If I were there, I'd skip past buying a new bird and just go throw hot tea in his face and steal his birds and my money back, but I'm a terrible rude American like that.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

While I am normally on board with where you're coming from Kittens, I'm going to affectionately disagree with you in this situation. I've been in contact with uglynoodles for a few months and I wholly believe she's put her research into bird care and adoption - unfortunately, the breeder she selected was a complete rear end in a top hat.

Given his behavior, I frankly don't think he's reputable enough to be concerned about an upset client. And, while I am one of the first people to bristle and snarl when pet stores are mentioned for bird adoption, uglynoodles has been researching her companion for a long time. I don't think it's fair to lump her in with minimum wage, impulse pet store buys.

And on that note, I'm probably the person in this thread furthest beneath the poverty line, but nobody in this thread could realistically accuse me of being a bad bird owner. When you need to care for your companion, you'll move heaven and earth to do so.

In short, whatever my opinion might meant to you and other bird crazies, I think uglynoodles knows what she is doing. :)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

I'm glad you've been in touch with her about it! All I know is what I see on the forums.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

uglynoodles I'm really sorry for your loss, I wish your 'breeder hadn't been so lovely :( I never posted, but I watched you posting in a thread about your lovely anime roommate and was really excited to read the updates. So you might not know me really BUT I HAVE STALKED YOU ON THE INTERNET.

That aside, I'm going to side with miss LAB here and offer myself up as an example. Zomodok and I bought Marceline living with my grandma in less than desirable conditions with not enough money to cover an expensive vet trip easily. Hell, my aunt's dog died a while back and she - with a full time job and a husband and child - didn't have enough spare money on hand to deal with the cash required. It's hard for lots of people ot have that kind of money set aside.

But anyway. Marceline was in a cage that was probably a little too small for her eating the not-most-best food and had only a couple of toys because that's what the cage/our money could give her. Same for Finn. But we love our babies very much and take awesome care of them!

At this point this whole rant is less to keep uglynoodles from regretting her decision and more making sure that newbies reading this don't think that because they don't have a spare 70-200 laying around they shouldn't think about getting a bird. Like LAB said, we figure things out when we have to :)

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

There's really nothing you guys can do to convince me that it's a good idea to encourage people to make economic commitments that they will have to just "work out" at a later date if it becomes a problem. In the kitten and puppy threads, it's recommended that you have savings set aside in case of vet emergencies. That all being said, it's now clear (thanks to you guys speaking up for her) that she's not just jumping in with no consideration for how that might work financially for her, and my caution is obviously not applicable.

As for the rest of you, you should be VERY ASHAMED and I am wagging my finger RIGHT NOW. Seriously, it doesn't matter as long as you're taking care of your birds. Reminding people of the quite sizable economic risk of buying a fragile bundle of feathers and fury that will fall over for almost no reason (as poor Ripley sadly demonstrated) is never a bad idea before they actually end up saddled with one of these awful dinosaurs.

run while you can send help

uglynoodles
May 28, 2009

Thank you fellas. :)
And Kittens, I am taking out insurance on my bird when I get him (and have him for more than a frigging day! That too was on the list of stuff to do on Monday.) There is a decent insurance company that does reliably pay out and their premiums are pretty good, when my ex and I had our dog we used them. I think it's like £20 a month or something for full cover for a bird, and the max I'll have to pay at a vet's is like £50, which I can scrounge up in that kind of situation.

We would've been OK with the expense it took to buy Ridley, it's just that we've bought him and then need to buy another so quickly.

I understand your concern. I wouldn't take on an animal if I didn't have a plan to help him or her when they got ill. (Because they WILL need to see a vet for something, it's just a matter of luck and time!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

And, while I am one of the first people to bristle and snarl when pet stores are mentioned for bird adoption, uglynoodles has been researching her companion for a long time. I don't think it's fair to lump her in with minimum wage, impulse pet store buys.

I don't think Kittens was doing that, but rather saying it's better where possible not to support pet stores by getting a bird from one, due to the whole creating-a-demand thing and encouraging them to get and keep more birds in less than ideal conditions. Even if the bird that you get is healthy, friendly, and so on. They're also often cheaper from a breeder, at least in my experience (both UK and here).

If you haven't, check out Preloved and Birdtrader, you never know what you might find, sometimes great looking birds come up: http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/_green_cheek_conure_for_sale_silly_tame_/advert/334129

http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/list/3360/birds.html

http://www.birdtrader.co.uk/parrots-for-sale.php

You could contact this one and ask if he'll sell without the cage as you have one: http://www.gumtree.com/p/pets/green-cheek-silly-tammed-conure-for-sale/1004420659 (so adorable)

I looked around at the various bird rescues and few even have conures, let alone suitable ones, and none near you.

Things