Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I took the table I built for the giant pumpkin and made mountains and snow drifts for my wife's Christmas pengiuns. Not sure if we are going to control the lights or not; I can't get them into any kind of group that would make sense.

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

Untitled by Eeek5127, on Flickr

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dabrovnijk posted:

This is how the stand for the lathe turned out to be. I have to figure out a working solution for the engine, the lathe is driven by a belt from the engine. So I have to find a good way to stretch the belt and make it easy enough so changing speeds are feasible.

That looks sturdy. Link belts come in 4 foot lengths. Putting the motor on a swing arm was my first thought as well.

Not an Anthem
Apr 28, 2003

I'm a fucking pain machine and if you even touch my fucking car I WILL FUCKING DESTROY YOU.

wormil posted:

That looks sturdy. Link belts come in 4 foot lengths. Putting the motor on a swing arm was my first thought as well.

Dell Stubbs used gravity to tension the belt but then put a foot pedal near the floor to lift the motor to act as a clutch so you can stop the work without stopping the motor.

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

wormil posted:

Bad Munki posted:

Depending on how much torque you plan to apply, putting the motor on the end of a swing arm and letting gravity do the tensioning could be plenty. This is how table saws often work. Changing speeds would just be a matter of lifting the motor to untension the belt, setting the belt as needed, and letting go of the motor. Part of why that works for tablesaws is that their motors are often quite heavy, though, so your mileage may vary with that particular option, since you'll certainly be using a smaller motor.

I had to put a rod to pull the engine down. A test showed that the tension on the belt when doing something in the lathe lifts the engine upwards and the bump when it falls down made the belt jump out of the wheel. Hopefully the engine stand will be sturdy enough hold the engine if the belt snaps.

The hinges I used are most likely to weak in the long run, but those have to do for the time being.

It works and thanks for sharing the idea.

erephus fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Nov 26, 2012

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, the bolt should do what you need, it'll just take more effort to loosen the belt for changing speeds. Two alternate things would help with the bounce:

1) A different style of belt. Powerlink belts are awesome and eliminated virtually ALL of the bounce on my tablesaw motor.

2) A longer swingarm, so the motor can be further from the axis of rotation. With it that close, a little bit of bounce means a lot of angle change, which means less downforce on the motor. With a longer arm, a little bounce doesn't really change the angle at all, which means the downforce stays the same.

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
Had new carpet installed recently and they left a few feet of left over. Grabbed some 2x4s and plywood on Sunday and bingo bango we got a cat tree thingy.

Planning on building a few boxes for it but ran out of carpet. Might grab a concrete form to cut in half for a half circle.

streetlamp fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Nov 26, 2012

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Please Sam, don't use the word 'acumen' again.

streetlamp posted:

Had new carpet installed recently and they left a few feet of left over. Grabbed some 2x4s and plywood on Sunday and bingo bango we got a cat tree thingy.

Planning on building a few boxes for it but ran out of carpet. Might grab a concrete form to cut in half for a half circle.

I did something similar to this, but I had trouble finding a good way to attach the carpet to the wood. I ended up stapling it, and frankly, it looks like poo poo in some spots. What did you use?

e: Thought I had a pic of mine handy, but I guess not

\/\/\/ I think that may have been my problem, I used a really low pile commercial carpet. \/\/\/

Dragyn fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 26, 2012

streetlamp
May 7, 2007

Danny likes his party hat
He does not like his banana hat
I also stapled it, you can see a pretty bad seam on the lower right 2x4.
The carpet I got was very forgiving though and hid the staples pretty well.
Its definitely a 10 footer kind of job though, its pretty messy looking if you inspect it.
I just tried to put all the seams on the inside of the thing so unless you put your head in it, its pretty seamless on the outer edges.

Next time I am in petco or whatever, I'm going to inspect theirs to see if I can find a better way of doing it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I made large speakers covered in carpet once. A feasible technique turned out to be to cover it in glue. Then to staple it to keep it in place while the glue dries. After a few days you can pull out the staples with a knife.

Don't ask me what glue that was, but I suspect something carpet specific must exist.

cornface
Dec 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Flipperwaldt posted:

I made large speakers covered in carpet once. A feasible technique turned out to be to cover it in glue. Then to staple it to keep it in place while the glue dries. After a few days you can pull out the staples with a knife.

Don't ask me what glue that was, but I suspect something carpet specific must exist.

This is probably a bad idea for a cat tree because in a year your cats will have completely destroyed the carpet and you might want to replace it.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

cornface posted:

This is probably a bad idea for a cat tree because in a year your cats will have completely destroyed the carpet and you might want to replace it.
Eh, depends on how much work you put into the whole thing. If you buy a cat tree in a store, the entire thing is considered a consumable in the same way anyway. In the same vein, you could have a fun project building a Mk. II next year.

If you want removable (maybe even washable) covers, maybe cover the thing in velcro or something.

obso
Jul 30, 2000
OBSOLUTELY

Flipperwaldt posted:

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=50&SubcatID=9

That was the go-to product when I was doing custom car interiors. The trick was to slather both pieces then let them sit out and dry until it is no longer tacky to the touch, then when you stick both pieces together they are STUCK.

Guitarchitect
Nov 8, 2003

Dabrovnijk posted:

I had to put a rod to pull the engine down. A test showed that the tension on the belt when doing something in the lathe lifts the engine upwards and the bump when it falls down made the belt jump out of the wheel. Hopefully the engine stand will be sturdy enough hold the engine if the belt snaps.

The hinges I used are most likely to weak in the long run, but those have to do for the time being.

It works and thanks for sharing the idea.

drat, you got in there before i could post pics of the jointer stand I just built! Did the same thing, was going to recommend it. I would have preferred to use pillow blocks but I went for the hardware store hinges instead.

Now, mine suffers from a serious jump when it starts, so my plan is to actually use a couple of nuts and a carriage bolt with a spring above - the spring should absorb the energy from the startup and at least tone it down a bit. don't know if that will help you at all but it would probably facilitate easier belt-changing...

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

You might find a spring actually increases the bounce. Less bouncy would be an old shock absorber.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

streetlamp posted:

Here's mine!

Also related, since they refuse to go near it. :3

erephus
May 24, 2012
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/
\o/ \o/ \o/ \o/ \o/

Guitarchitect posted:

drat, you got in there before i could post pics of the jointer stand I just built! Did the same thing, was going to recommend it. I would have preferred to use pillow blocks but I went for the hardware store hinges instead.

Now, mine suffers from a serious jump when it starts, so my plan is to actually use a couple of nuts and a carriage bolt with a spring above - the spring should absorb the energy from the startup and at least tone it down a bit. don't know if that will help you at all but it would probably facilitate easier belt-changing...

Bad Munki posted:

You might find a spring actually increases the bounce. Less bouncy would be an old shock absorber.

I have a couple of small absorbers laying around beetwen the iron plate and the nut on the bolt and also using the absorber should give it a similar function as on a car.

I may be getting carried away and overworking it if I get more ideas.

Bad Munki posted:

Yeah, the bolt should do what you need, it'll just take more effort to loosen the belt for changing speeds. Two alternate things would help with the bounce:

1) A different style of belt. Powerlink belts are awesome and eliminated virtually ALL of the bounce on my tablesaw motor.

2) A longer swingarm, so the motor can be further from the axis of rotation. With it that close, a little bit of bounce means a lot of angle change, which means less downforce on the motor. With a longer arm, a little bounce doesn't really change the angle at all, which means the downforce stays the same.

I have been thinking about another solution. Using an iron pipe and longer wooden bars for the swing arm, putting the iron pipe between the two foot stands should increase the distance to the double or more of what it is now.

On the other hand I may have been thinking to much about it, given the time it takes to produce things in the lathe changing speed shouldn't be done that often.

The current usable speeds are 700-800rpm and 1440rpm, I can get it to run 3-4 times of that but I don't dare test those speeds. The belt wheel on the lathe is at 1:1 and around 2:1 compared to the thinnest part on the engine wheel.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A few thousand rpm is nothing to be afraid of. Faster speeds will help you get smoother, cleaner cuts. Heck, my little jet goes up to 4krpm. Getting rough grain across your cuts? Turn it up. The instructor I had liked to go on the principle that if you can turn your workpiece faster, you should. He would routinely walk around to the lathes and turn everyone up a step or so, and it always made for better results.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Attention Dragyn, I have your cats.

My demands will be forthcoming. Do not attempt to contact the authorities.

Dragyn
Jan 23, 2007

Mister Sinewave posted:

Attention Dragyn, I have your cats.

My demands will be forthcoming. Do not attempt to contact the authorities.

Keep em'
Seriously, I can't get them to stop fighting, just keep them.

Also I just caught Stitch (on the right) on my catcam, so either you lie, or this is a very very well planned catnapping. The resemblance is fantastic.

e: Actually one is a stray, one is a rescue that was abandoned at the shelter, so it's entirely possible that you owned these cats at some point. :)

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The resemblance really is uncanny. Both my cats are happily napping and get along just fine (unlike yours, apparently!)

Pardalis
Dec 26, 2008

The Amazing Dreadheaded Chameleon Keeper
Aw, I finally got back into making stuff and can't post pictures yet because it is all Christmas gifts :(

The needlefelting thread disappeared!

I will have a lot to post soon considering I just moved into an actual house and am unleashing myself upon it. We are halfway to an urban farm. Bad Munki's firepit has been on my mind as has a giant adobe fence for chickens and gardens. Also, bees.

Does anyone have experience building a fence by hand with fallen branches/ found driftwood? I am planning a fence around my yard but I'm not quite sure how to attach crossbeams.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Pardalis posted:

Does anyone have experience building a fence by hand with fallen branches/ found driftwood? I am planning a fence around my yard but I'm not quite sure how to attach crossbeams.

Yep, my experience is that it doesn't really work to keep my dogs in, or deer out. Hope that helps! :cheers:

Just a Fish
Mar 22, 2012

Just a quick one.
Turned an old fruit bowl into a kitchen lamp

Starker44
May 14, 2012

Very nice. This could even be labeled as dumpster art (garbage found in a dumpster) though you did not throw it away looks amazing. Garbage is just what we call an item that no longer serves its ORIGINAL purpose. I love turning garbage into other things. Keep it up.

Face Of Bear
Oct 29, 2004

Just a Fish posted:

Just a quick one.

Nice man. I love redesign projects.

Here's a mic stand lamp i made a couple of weeks ago

Elder Postsman
Aug 30, 2000

i used hot bot to search for "teens"

We couldn't find an end table for our baby room that was affordable, the right size, and not ugly, so I built one with stuff I had around the house. It's all pine 1x2s and 1/4" plywood, put together with mortise and tenon joinery, with the top and bottom shelves inserted into dadoes (I think that's the right term?). Only things I had to buy were the white paint and grout.

The tile gaps were just slightly less than 1/16". Using spacers wouldn't allow 10 tiles to fit across each way, so I eyeballed it. Gives it that kinda rustic shabby chic look. That's what they want these days, anyways.

Elder Postsman fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 4, 2012

Luminous
May 19, 2004

Girls
Games
Gains

Just a Fish posted:

Just a quick one.

The shadow reflection on the ceiling would be great for Halloween. Very cool.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I found a ball peen hammer on the side of the road with a terrible handle.

And like the previous owner who cut down a handle for another type of hammer, I couldn't find a new handle locally, so I made one of a piece of mystery wood salvaged from broken furniture. Not an ideal wood for a handle but if it breaks I'll make another one.

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires
I've just started on a Cigarbox Guitar.

Eeek
Mar 1, 2003

I could not let my Lightorama box just sit there over Christmas. So I made a tree using the box, a low level pc, lights and a shitload of extension cords:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eeek5127/8258095164/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Dog Case posted:

I've just started on a Cigarbox Guitar.

They are a lot of fun. I built one awhile back and have been working on a second. 3 or 4 string?

Dog Case
Oct 7, 2003

Heeelp meee... prevent wildfires

wormil posted:

They are a lot of fun. I built one awhile back and have been working on a second. 3 or 4 string?

3 string; that way I'll have enough tuners left over to make another one for myself since this one is going to be a gift.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
A small thing, I installed Shaker pegs on the side of my DVD/game shelves to hold controllers.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

wormil posted:

A small thing, I installed Shaker pegs on the side of my DVD/game shelves to hold controllers.

That's ingenious. I'm so stealing that for my DVD rack.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Magnus Praeda posted:

That's ingenious. I'm so stealing that for my DVD rack.

I stole the idea from someone else. :ninja:

I didn't want to mess with drilling a 1/2" hole and gluing pegs so I just bought the kind with a screw. Ordered them late Thursday night and they arrived Monday in the mail.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/350557612063?var=620048375760&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

I'm finally nearing the end of a almost year long project of finishing about half of my basement. It's a section about 650sqft.

It's my first big time project of anything at all like this, so I'm pretty pleased with the results.

I just need to do a bit of caulking, and a few adjustments to the back door, but it's 99% done.

It went from basically this (not my photo, just what it sorta looked like before):

To this:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Those floors are gorgeous. Nice work!

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Why did you get rid of the two stripper poles in your man cave? :confused:

Sudden Infant Def Syndrome
Oct 2, 2004

apatite posted:

Those floors are gorgeous. Nice work!

Thanks!

Hadlock posted:

Why did you get rid of the two stripper poles in your man cave? :confused:

I only had one stripper pole, and I had to cover it because it was ugly as hell.

If I'm putting in a stripper pole, it's going to be high gloss chrome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeNCR
Oct 11, 2003

Been a while since I posted an updated robot fleet shot.

Motorama 2013 is less than two months away, all the bots are done and now all that's left to do is pack. (http://www.buildersdb.com/view_bots.asp?eventid=362)

From left to right, top to bottom:

Nyx- 30lb "Sportsman" class bot. 8-3, Dragon*Con 2012 champion

Apollyon- 12lb class bot. 13-0, 2012 Moto champion, Dragon*Con 2011 & 2012 champion

Algos- 1lb class bot. 10-3, Atlanta Mini Maker Faire champion

Keres- 150g class bot. 0-0, will debut at Motorama

Klazo- 1lb class bot. 3-7, my girlfriends robot.