Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Eegah posted:

Monday was his first bath since Thanksgiving, and his first flea bath ever as far as I know. I use this for his regular bath but I'm not married to it by any means.

He isn't going after his feet any more than the rest of the body, but I did change his food from chicken puppy-mix to salmon adult kibble (both from Nature's Variety -- they say you should be able to rotate freely). I could try switching back for a few days to see if that helps, but he was reeeeal drat sick of the chicken.

Pretty much all Hartz products are complete poo poo. :shobon: I'd definitely try the soothing suds and see if you like it/if it helps a little.
Also oatmeal shampoos might help.
http://amzn.com/B0002DH20Q
http://amzn.com/B005N2FL9K
Biogroom is another brand I really like.

Since that food is listed as a premium food in the nutrition thread, and you already have switched to something non-chicken to try that I'd stick with it for now personally. Switching food for a few days wouldn't be long enough to see if there is a change anyways.

e; also make sure when you give your dog a bath to completely rinse out all shampoo. Leaving traces of shampoo in the coat can make a dog itch worse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Greycious posted:

Pretty much all Hartz products are complete poo poo. :shobon: I'd definitely try the soothing suds and see if you like it/if it helps a little.
Also oatmeal shampoos might help.
http://amzn.com/B0002DH20Q
http://amzn.com/B005N2FL9K
Biogroom is another brand I really like.

Since that food is listed as a premium food in the nutrition thread, and you already have switched to something non-chicken to try that I'd stick with it for now personally. Switching food for a few days wouldn't be long enough to see if there is a change anyways.

e; also make sure when you give your dog a bath to completely rinse out all shampoo. Leaving traces of shampoo in the coat can make a dog itch worse.

Haha what the hell Amazon

I'll give the Top Performance one a try. Thanks!

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Lol :wtc:
I didn't notice that.

what the hell amazon indeed.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Eegah posted:

he had a fleabath at the groomer's

Flea baths are actually terrible for itchy dogs that don't actually have fleas. It's meant to kill bugs, not help with skin issues, so it's really super drying. This could be part of your problem right here. :)

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Learning Disabilities: Cat Edition
In my salon, the flea stuff we use has tea tree oil in it, so it helps alleviate the itching in general.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

WolfensteinBag posted:

Flea baths are actually terrible for itchy dogs that don't actually have fleas. It's meant to kill bugs, not help with skin issues, so it's really super drying. This could be part of your problem right here. :)

He was itching before the fleabath -- that's part of the reason I took him to the groomer's in the first place, along with a sanitary face/rear trim. I don't know if the fleabath made it worse but it certainly didn't help. This was Tater's first time with this groomer (in fact his first time with any groomer) and it was tough finding one open on Christmas Eve (groomers here tend to close on Mondays anyway) so I wasn't really swimming with options. That's what I get for not thinking ahead, I guess.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Shaving two poms today when BAM! My 4 blade gave out on me... I didn't get before/after picture either but it would have been exactly what Captain Foxy was looking for. Jiminy Cricket, this one pom had like a freakin' show coat and I had to buzz the thing off :<

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Good lord, not even a week after going to the groomer Tater can't take a crap without getting poopbutt :( Much as I love Tater's long coat, between this and the itching (oatmeal bath didn't help) it seems like it's just not practical at all.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Eegah posted:

Good lord, not even a week after going to the groomer Tater can't take a crap without getting poopbutt :( Much as I love Tater's long coat, between this and the itching (oatmeal bath didn't help) it seems like it's just not practical at all.

Is he having loose stools?

Even my brother's fluff-butt aussies don't get crap in their butt fur unless their poop is soft.

Supercondescending
Jul 4, 2007

ok frankies now lets get in formation
My coworker will *not* stop shaving his husky every time he so much as sees her pant and now whenever I hear that he's done it again I think of the title of this thread. Thanks PI. :)

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Greycious posted:

Even my brother's fluff-butt aussies don't get crap in their butt fur unless their poop is soft.

Best thing about Aussies. Mine has fur that dirt just seems to fall right off of. Smells will linger, unfortunately, but people always ask me if she's freshly groomed.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Greycious posted:

Some yes. Comes and goes. Doesn't help that he's basically a cottontail rabbit from behind.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Eegah posted:

Some yes. Comes and goes. Doesn't help that he's basically a cottontail rabbit from behind.

Well I'd say try to do things to combat the soft stool, try and find out what might be causing it if you feed treats or table scraps.

Other than that, the only solution to cleaning his rear end less might be to take the fur shorter back there.

Despite what I said about the aussies, when I was a teenager I did have a pom that always got poo poo on his rear end, but then again he ate poo poo for food so I don't know what's to blame there.

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Superconsndar posted:

My coworker will *not* stop shaving his husky every time he so much as sees her pant and now whenever I hear that he's done it again I think of the title of this thread. Thanks PI. :)

That's alright. I had a red boston terrier come in yesterday and I thought of your posts on ~red bostons~ (not in a creepy way) and snapped a few pics.

Throwing my hat in the "Hartz products are dangerous and really lovely." ring.

Also, on Tuesday the cutest little pug came in-- really friendly little dude, I told the owner he reminded me of Jabba the Hut if Jabba was adorable. Great for everything but the nails. Managed to weasel his way out of the muzzle and bite me (Broke the skin). I showed the owner the wound, and he tried so hard to try to work something out as far as cutting his nails, including "well what if I bring him in and hold him?" Hahaha no. The owner being there would probably make him worse. The owner also mentioned he had some resource guarding issues when it comes to his *specific bone* and I made sure there weren't any little kids in his house. I'm not a behaviorist, but I do know a thing or two about training, and I always worry when I hear about stuff like that.
I'd have to say the weirdest thing about being a groomer- an animal professional out here is that people actually listen and actively ask for advice. It's a strange feeling having tried to shove advice down my family's throats with their dogs, and now I'm handing it out like hotcakes instead of struggling to keep my mouth shut when my parents give their dogs a half-eaten dinner plate.

Skizzles and Wolfenstienbag-- Do you have any really mean or awful customers? I had my first out here who looked her dogs over, said they looked ok before she left and then called WHILE IN THE CAR to tell me the haircut looked like "A five year old with a pair of scissors took her dog in the backyard and cut him." after requesting a non-standard westie cut, telling me "it didn't look professional. I'll bring in a picture of a professionally groomed westie next time." OK lady, your dog is old and you asked for a weird cut. You specifically asked for him not to have a skirt, he's not going to look anything like the Ceaser dog. So I offered to redo the cut. She says "OK I will call back tomorrow to set something up next week." ok, whatever. Then a few minutes later she calls my boss and complains again after I thought I'd already fixed the problem. I have no problem if someone doesn't like my cuts she just didn't have to be so freakin' mean about it. Lo and behold a few days later, she's unhappy with her OTHER dog's cut and gets a full refund for both of them. She will be trying the other groomer next time, but I am wary.

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jan 3, 2013

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

The Big Whoop posted:

I'd have to say the weirdest thing about being a groomer- an animal professional out here is that people actually listen and actively ask for advice. It's a strange feeling having tried to shove advice down my family's throats with their dogs, and now I'm handing it out like hotcakes instead of struggling to keep my mouth shut when my parents give their dogs a half-eaten dinner plate.

This is actually what's gotten me in to training! I like helping people with the behavior problems more than actually dealing with the haircuts. I'm also sick of people asking for advice, but then I'll either get the attitude that I'm "just a groomer" when they don't like what I have to say, or I'll hear someone else say something HORRIBLY wrong and I'm reminded how little you actually have to know about dogs and behavior to still be great at grooming. :stare: Oh, and I'll also get people with dogs with major problems that just don't want to listen at all. I'd much rather have a job where people are actively searching for help and paying for my advice, instead of just getting it for free and promptly ignoring it.

quote:

Skizzles and Wolfenstienbag-- Do you have any really mean or awful customers? I had my first out here who looked her dogs over, said they looked ok before she left and then called WHILE IN THE CAR to tell me the haircut looked like "A five year old with a pair of scissors took her dog in the backyard and cut him." after requesting a non-standard westie cut, telling me "it didn't look professional. I'll bring in a picture of a professionally groomed westie next time." OK lady, your dog is old and you asked for a weird cut. You specifically asked for him not to have a skirt, he's not going to look anything like the Ceaser dog. So I offered to redo the cut. She says "OK I will call back tomorrow to set something up next week." ok, whatever. Then a few minutes later she calls my boss and complains again after I thought I'd already fixed the problem. Lo and behold a few days later, she's unhappy with her OTHER dog's cut and gets a full refund for both of them. She will be trying the other groomer next time, but I am wary.

HA! Definitely!!! There are SO many people with absolutely ridiculous expectations of their dogs, and then when you try to tell them something will look weird, but they ask for it anyway, they blame you for how silly it turned out. I tend to think I've gotten good enough at pre-warning people and then reminding them of their weird requests if they say anything, but there are always going to be those people that don't get it. If I remember, I have a few stories for later.

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Quality Pugamutes now available, APR/APRI/NKC approved breeder. PM for details.
I remember there was a woman who had a long haired chihuahua who used to visit Vanessa, my old groomer, and since Vanessa was located at my work (daycare/boarding place) and if things were slow I'd hop over and bathe a dog or help her hold someone, I was usually there to see the interactions.

This woman could not loving understand the concept of 'cutting hair = less hair'. She wasn't bitchy, just really whiney in that entitled way that older white women always seem to be. Like 'I'm trying to be polite but you hosed up and you need to fix it for me', when really it was no one's fault but her own. She'd come in practically once a month and ask for a different cut every time, bringing pictures of breeds like Havanese and Maltese to show what she wanted, and totally not realizing that her dog was just not shaped like that. She wanted a boxy face cut and drop ears, and her dog had an almost Papillion-like set of ears and a really narrow chi face. Every time she'd get the dog groomed, it would come out looking the same because you can't make a chihuahua into a maltese, but she would make a face and try to act like she was giving poor Vanessa 'tips' that she learned from doodle sites on how to 'do it properly next time, okaaaay?'. And every time Vanessa would quietly sigh and politely explain how that WAS the way to do it properly and that her 'tips' were based on a completely different breed and type of hair. And every time the lady would smile and act flustered like 'oh I just don't know these things lol dog people' and then come back a month later and do it all over again.

At one point though, she was about to launch into her spiel, and Vanessa happened to be ringing up another client with a chihuahua mutt thing; a much older lady who had a stroller and refused to let her dog walk, but was otherwise okay. Her dog was a 'maltichi' or something like that, and so it had longer hair, but it basically looked like a long haired chi, and was cut like one. She turned to the lady with the purebred chi and said 'Oh goodness, I love how that cut looks on your dog! I'm getting that next time!' and left with her dog in the stroller. This shut the other lady up right in her tracks and she just covered up with a smile and acted super happy and told Vanessa that this cut (the exact same cut she'd been getting for months now) was finally exactly what she wanted. :rolleyes:

Explosions!
Sep 30, 2008
What's the best way to clip the hair on a boy dog's business? I have a miniature schnauzer and if the hair gets too long he can't put it away after he pees. It gets rolled up under the sheath and the hair irritates it. Then he licks it obsessively, then he goes to the vet since it's all red, then the vet tells me :stonk: Oh God sometimes they have to sew it up in there because the muscle gives out and it really won't go up. Basically, this can all be avoided if I keep it trimmed and don't let him lick, but I'm afraid I'll cut and make it a million times worse. Should I get scissors with a guard or can I use some kind of precision trimmer?

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Oh god oh god no no no don't use scissors near your male dog's dick! :gonk:

If you really want to tackle that fur yourself you should get a pair of clippers.

I only have this full-size one I use http://amzn.com/B0018KVI5M
Which would work, but I've seen a bunch of smaller trimmer clippers that might work well for you, maybe another groomer who has tried them before can chime in and suggest one that might work well for just doing what you need. It'd probably cost half the price or less of the full blown professional clippers.

Do you bring him to the groomers at all? I'm guessing so since he's a mini schnauzer. If you do, the groomer should be giving him a sanitary and clipping that hair, if they aren't ask them to start doing that with his usual groom. Or if his hair is just growing too fast between visits you can see if you can bring him in between grooms just for a sanitary trim.

Ceridwen
Dec 11, 2004
Of course... If the Jell-O gets moldy, the whole thing should be set aflame.

We use this one for sanitary area and feet on our Golden mix: https://www.amazon.com/Wahl-Tid-Bit-Mini-Trimmer-Blue/dp/B003WH179G/

Went through a couple of cordless ones first and this one has outlasted them by a mile.

But you may not want to listen to me because I'm a horrible person who shaves her Golden mix down in the summer and is thrilled with the results.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.

The Big Whoop posted:

Skizzles and Wolfenstienbag-- Do you have any really mean or awful customers? I had my first out here who looked her dogs over, said they looked ok before she left and then called WHILE IN THE CAR to tell me the haircut looked like "A five year old with a pair of scissors took her dog in the backyard and cut him." after requesting a non-standard westie cut, telling me "it didn't look professional. I'll bring in a picture of a professionally groomed westie next time." OK lady, your dog is old and you asked for a weird cut. You specifically asked for him not to have a skirt, he's not going to look anything like the Ceaser dog. So I offered to redo the cut. She says "OK I will call back tomorrow to set something up next week." ok, whatever. Then a few minutes later she calls my boss and complains again after I thought I'd already fixed the problem. I have no problem if someone doesn't like my cuts she just didn't have to be so freakin' mean about it. Lo and behold a few days later, she's unhappy with her OTHER dog's cut and gets a full refund for both of them. She will be trying the other groomer next time, but I am wary.

I'm not actually a groomer, but we have groomers where I work. I don't doubt they've gotten some ridiculous poo poo like that before. I mostly do doggie daycare until they can get me set up with the day training program. Fortunately I don't deal much with customers anymore.

I know we have a corgi that comes to work who has a gorgeous coat and ear tufts when she lets it grow out, but her owner keeps shaving her and she looks stupid. :saddowns:

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

Ha, I guess I meant to ask Greylicious. I confuse you two sometimes because you both have similar Trophy avatars.
Echoing what others have said, avoid scissoring your boydog's dick. I have one client that requests a supershort sanitary because their dog gets frequent UTIs-- I'm always nervous as heck when it comes to him because I don't wanna clip his little ding dong with my clippers. He is the ONLY dog I will use anything below a 15 or 10 on his sanitary (I use a 30, I have a 40 but its really too fine to take down anything so my boyfriend now uses it to shave his face.) I have an assistant hold his little belly up so I can get it really close. Do you do his nail trims yourself? Sometimes groomers will package stuff together do you don't have to spend ~7bux~ on a sanitary clip. With this particular client, he gets his nails done in the rotary tool which is 15 bucks so I throw the "supersani" in for free.

Greylicious, I had the special edition of those clippers in blue-they are good to start out with but even with drive replacements I had to replace them with a more powerful clipper. Now my boyfriend uses it to shave with.

I did work in one shop where the receptionist dealt directly with the customers. Which in theory is nice but in practice... yeah I'd rather interact with the owners themselves. It didn't help that she was a pathetic chef that got fired and only had the job because she was engaged to the owner's son. I don't mind other groomers checking in my dogs, but I still prefer to do it myself.

Also, Captain Foxy that is the best story. Only in California!

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Jan 4, 2013

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Greycious posted:

Well I'd say try to do things to combat the soft stool, try and find out what might be causing it if you feed treats or table scraps.

Other than that, the only solution to cleaning his rear end less might be to take the fur shorter back there.

Despite what I said about the aussies, when I was a teenager I did have a pom that always got poo poo on his rear end, but then again he ate poo poo for food so I don't know what's to blame there.

His stool has hardened back up in the last couple days but still no dice. Gave him a bath last night and this morning it's back to swamp rear end. So yeah, gonna need to go back for another sanitary trim (probably a different groomer this time for a couple reasons).

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

The Big Whoop posted:

Throwing my hat in the "Hartz products are dangerous and really lovely." ring.

I bought a Hartz branded leash at Rite Aid the week before Christmas and it didn't last until Christmas :haw: Not even from dog damage -- the stitching on the loop handle just disintegrated. Good job guys!

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

I've been being an rear end lately and been enforcing rules really heavily. I feel bad about it but it needs to be done. Plus, I'm having some major insubordination problems.

In any case, I can't keep letting the customers walk all over me, they keep insisting "out in two hours..." it's just not possible.

But more grooming related stuff, I find poodles (with clean faces) the most rewarding to cut. It's pretty fantastic to going from a scruffy looking bearddog to a fine and handsome poodle with a clean face.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

The Big Whoop posted:

But more grooming related stuff, I find poodles (with clean faces) the most rewarding to cut. It's pretty fantastic to going from a scruffy looking bearddog to a fine and handsome poodle with a clean face.

I love doing clean faces, and clean feet too although not a single poodle at the shop I worked at really liked having clean feet done. We had one that was so bad he would brace his other paws against your back and try to shove away. He was also somewhat unpredictable and would sometimes try to bite when you do clean face- I didn't like that dog much, finally had my boss do him all the time.

I don't know we've had a good share of crazy owners. There is this one lady that had this shih tzu which every single time she came in, despite being okay with the groom the last time she left, would find something to complain about. Or she'd just said "This really wasn't your best work" and even if we'd do the same exact clip, just like in Cpt. foxy's story, the lady would at first like it, and then later say she didn't like it.

I think the craziest thing was the elderly lady that would sit in her car in our parking lot and drink beer while waiting for her dog to be groomed.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
We rescued Lady from the douche canoes who lived next door to us a couple of years ago. She was treated badly, left tied to a tree or the hose bib in the back yard all day with little to no food or water. One night they moved out leaving the dog tied to the hose bib in the backyard. We only found out because at six in the morning on a Saturday she was barking and woke me up, nothing can be worse than waking my rear end up on a weekend at ungodly hours. I proceeded to walk over and bang on our neighbors front door and noticed the house was empty.

When we took over care she was malnourished, underfed and had never been groomed.. at least not that we could imagine knowing the scumlords our neighbors were. Her coat at the time resembled what best I can describe as a cross between a retriever and a spaniel of some sort. It was long and golden, silky despite it being unkempt and I am sure the diet was not helping. Fast forward to today it seems like her coat is nowhere being what it was like when we first got her. Her tail and ears mostly maintain the look she had but the rest of her fur is this awful fluffy nonsense that resembles a dense undercoat of cotton fluff. I think it is pretty easy to tell in the image.. my question is is this a case of one bad cut that has led to her coat just being a mess that needs to be fixed or is this normal and they are just not grooming her correctly? Either way I hope this would not be her normal coat but I am prepared to accept it is. Any suggestions / advice on this?

Don't let that look deceive you.. she is quite the she-devil.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
From the looks of it, your dog has six legs and may be an ant. Fortunately ants are fairly low maintenance as far as grooming goes.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
If I remember science class ants did not shed leaving furballs around..

The Big Whoop
Oct 12, 2012

demonR6 posted:

We rescued Lady from the douche canoes who lived next door to us a couple of years ago. She was treated badly, left tied to a tree or the hose bib in the back yard all day with little to no food or water. One night they moved out leaving the dog tied to the hose bib in the backyard. We only found out because at six in the morning on a Saturday she was barking and woke me up, nothing can be worse than waking my rear end up on a weekend at ungodly hours. I proceeded to walk over and bang on our neighbors front door and noticed the house was empty.

When we took over care she was malnourished, underfed and had never been groomed.. at least not that we could imagine knowing the scumlords our neighbors were. Her coat at the time resembled what best I can describe as a cross between a retriever and a spaniel of some sort. It was long and golden, silky despite it being unkempt and I am sure the diet was not helping. Fast forward to today it seems like her coat is nowhere being what it was like when we first got her. Her tail and ears mostly maintain the look she had but the rest of her fur is this awful fluffy nonsense that resembles a dense undercoat of cotton fluff. I think it is pretty easy to tell in the image.. my question is is this a case of one bad cut that has led to her coat just being a mess that needs to be fixed or is this normal and they are just not grooming her correctly? Either way I hope this would not be her normal coat but I am prepared to accept it is. Any suggestions / advice on this?

Don't let that look deceive you.. she is quite the she-devil.

Is it really soft, or more coarse? Sometimes silky dogs like that just get this really wacky patch of really soft fur. It's usually near the hock area. Sometimes mystery mutts have different coat texture at different times during the year. Without seeing her in person all I can say is good luck...It could be that she has massive amounts of undercoat that needs to be blown or you might have to wait for it to grow back to silky stuff in the spring time.

A thought just struck me! It almost seems like she might be a cavalier/cocker cross. It kind of almost looks like a cocker coat verses the silkiness of a cavalier that you were describing before. A crafty groomer might even be able to get her to look like a cavalier in the winter by shaving the front part of her legs, leaving feathers on the legs and an almost schnauzer like skirt on the bottom. Dang it! I'd want to try something like that! Weirddogs, come to my shop!!

The Big Whoop fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Jan 8, 2013

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.
Here's a destroyed double coat for you:

Same dog four months prior here.

Riiseli fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 8, 2013

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

The Big Whoop posted:

Is it really soft, or more coarse? Sometimes silky dogs like that just get this really wacky patch of really soft fur. It's usually near the hock area. Sometimes mystery mutts have different coat texture at different times during the year. Without seeing her in person all I can say is good luck...It could be that she has massive amounts of undercoat that needs to be blown or you might have to wait for it to grow back to silky stuff in the spring time.

A thought just struck me! It almost seems like she might be a cavalier/cocker cross. It kind of almost looks like a cocker coat verses the silkiness of a cavalier that you were describing before. A crafty groomer might even be able to get her to look like a cavalier in the winter by shaving the front part of her legs, leaving feathers on the legs and an almost schnauzer like skirt on the bottom. Dang it! I'd want to try something like that! Weirddogs, come to my shop!!

Thanks for that! Her coat is all around really soft, even the fluffy stuff. It is generally around the hock area / legs but it can be patchy. I can try to get a better full shot if she would cooperate. I do think it may be massive undercoat though. The problem is finding a good groomer that would spend the time and effort to properly groom the dog. For the most part it is a get them in and out mentality, collect your tip and get them back in as soon as possible. It is easier to just say oh that is her coat, we will just shave it down and not make the effort counting on you being back in 30 days because otherwise the dog looks like a hot mess.

My wife and I have had the same discussing about the cross breed as you and your guess is the same as ours. What is really cute is when she gets wet or damp, the fur on her ears looks like she just had a perm and it crimps.

Riiseli posted:

Beautiful dog.. has the coat issue been resolved or are you dealing with that still?

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

I love Hitler and Hitler loves me! He's not all bad, Hitler just needs someone to believe in him! Can't you just give Hitler a chance?

Riiseli posted:

Ravaged undercoat, patchy as hell, with a complete loss of guard hair function. See all that tan/white showing under the scattering of black? The guard hairs are unable to provide surface coverage because they're all at different lengths. With an uneven coat like that, she's got to be experiencing a lot of temperature ranges she's not used to and, in a cold clime like yours, that's a lot of discomfort.

That dog's coat is indeed destroyed. With time everything may grow to proper lengths again, but in some dogs it never does and the coat remains patchy.

Captain Foxy fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Jan 8, 2013

Riiseli
Apr 10, 2011
I'm not a BYB because I live in an apartment.

Captain Foxy posted:

That dog's coat is indeed destroyed. With time everything may grow to proper lengths again, but in some dogs it never does and the coat remains patchy.
What happened you may ask? Well she was spayed, luckily the situation has partially corrected itself since then (06/07). That didn't bother her too much (she was a bit hot, but cold weather over the winter was a no issue) and neither does her coat now. The texture is a little softer, the coat is a bit bigger and for those reasons a bit more prone to tangles, but with a regular brush all is well. Mind you my Finnish Lapphunds haven't normally required regular brushing, I do brush them prior to shows (one can actually do a bit for their shape with a slicker) and when they are blowing their coat (to speed up the process and to lessen the amount of hair all over the place). I probably wash the dogs on average every two years.

joyfulgirl129
Aug 22, 2006

How much bathing is too much bathing? My little yorkie-schnauzer mix just hit adolescence and finds the grossest crap to roll around in, and now his favorite target is his own poo and our other dog's pee. Being a teenager, he's also lost the "leave it" command because gently caress you mom lol. I've given him three baths this week, using Filthy Farmgirl poochie soap, and he doesn't seem itchy or dry, just determined to smell the worst he possibly can at all times.

Rixatrix
Aug 5, 2006

Riiseli posted:

The coat really looks so bad it's pretty hilarious. Is she blowing her undercoat?

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

joyfulgirl129 posted:

How much bathing is too much bathing? My little yorkie-schnauzer mix just hit adolescence and finds the grossest crap to roll around in, and now his favorite target is his own poo and our other dog's pee. Being a teenager, he's also lost the "leave it" command because gently caress you mom lol. I've given him three baths this week, using Filthy Farmgirl poochie soap, and he doesn't seem itchy or dry, just determined to smell the worst he possibly can at all times.

You know what they say, boys will be boys.

The Big Whoop posted:

Ooh found a pic of Lady when we first rescued her.. this is what her coat looked like a few years ago. She's filled out since then.

So what do you think now after seeing this?

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 00:16 on Jan 9, 2013

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Captain Foxy posted:

With an uneven coat like that, she's got to be experiencing a lot of temperature ranges she's not used to and, in a cold clime like yours, that's a lot of discomfort.

I would assume the dog would adjust to the uneven coat effect because she lives in a cold climate. We get boxers running around at the dog park at -10, they would have more "discomfort" than a dog with a patch of thin fur.

The coat doesn't look too bad, my Akitas looked like hell when they were blowing coat (yes I know its not the same thing but it looks equally lovely). Its also pretty funny that its hormonal and not shaving, which we would all assume in the Labrador Shavedown thread :angel:

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

joyfulgirl129 posted:

using Filthy Farmgirl poochie soap

I didn't know this existed, and now I know what I'm getting my sister for her birthday :toot:

Captain Foxy
Jun 13, 2007

adventure in the sandbox posted:

I would assume the dog would adjust to the uneven coat effect because she lives in a cold climate. We get boxers running around at the dog park at -10, they would have more "discomfort" than a dog with a patch of thin fur.

The coat doesn't look too bad, my Akitas looked like hell when they were blowing coat (yes I know its not the same thing but it looks equally lovely). Its also pretty funny that its hormonal and not shaving, which we would all assume in the Labrador Shavedown thread :angel:

No, that's pretty clearly coat blow and I see that in Keeper. It's more extreme because of her hormonal shift due to being spayed.

All double-coated breeds experience different levels of temperature discomfort while blowing coat; it's well known that they act like prissy bitches during. A thin-coated dog always has a thin coat, so they don't need to adjust according to how much coat they have/don't have, whereas a double-coated breed blows coat in patches and stages, so cold air and winds can get through those patches before guard hairs can have a chance to grow back.

Believe it or not, no one is starting a shave debate. Double-coated breeds sometimes get their coat destroyed by a hormonal shift as much as a set of clippers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

My anecdote of 5 double-coated dogs is they act normally when shedding.

I thought it was funny man, its just dog fur. Posting natural coats in the grooming thread.

But I kind of want to shave Sigma now just to be difficult :D

• Locked thread