Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

Joe Don Baker posted:

Eagerly awaiting the Ferengi latinum train story arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

You always come through at Christmas time!

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
I never understood this episode. Klingons are too dumb to understand spreadsheets? Just how do they manage their massive empire?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Baron Bifford posted:

I never understood this episode. Klingons are too dumb to understand spreadsheets? Just how do they manage their massive empire?

Somebody gut this p'tak, he talks too much!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Baron Bifford posted:

How many of our Senators do you think could read an actual budgeting spreadsheet (and not some executive level summary)?

You've confusing legislators/executives with the bureaucrats who do the actual grunt work.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Crackbone posted:

How many of our Senators do you think could read an actual budgeting spreadsheet (and not some executive level summary)?

You've confusing legislators/executives with the bureaucrats who do the actual grunt work.
A lot of those senators have backgrounds in said grunt work. Contrary to popular opinion, most politicians are of above-average intelligence (if you're so smart, why aren't YOU the leader of the free world?).

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Baron Bifford posted:

(if you're so smart, why aren't YOU the leader of the free world?).

Because he doesn't have the money to buy his way into the position.

Ferengi supremacy :wink:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Baron Bifford posted:

A lot of those senators have backgrounds in said grunt work. Contrary to popular opinion, most politicians are of above-average intelligence (if you're so smart, why aren't YOU the leader of the free world?).

First, I'm sorry I touched a nerve, but regardless of how smart our senator may or may not be, intelligence =/= ability to comprehend specialized subjects.

Second, it's a joke on a Star Trek episode, get over it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Of course Dutch Boy would be part of Timefleet. Of course.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Crackbone posted:

Baron Bifford posted:

Also it quite fits that Gowron rose so high because, like modern politicians, the drive for higher power is slightly expedited with a minor form of megalomania.

Baron Bifford
May 24, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!
And historical revisionism.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Okay so having seen the 9 minute trailer, here is my guess on one of the angles they're going to take for the ending

Part of the setup for the ending of Khan was that Kirk never took the Kobayashi Maru test fairly. He cheated death his whole life and always won, never had to make a sacrifice, never had to actually face death. Spock does it for him, and it shakes Kirk's worldview.

Now, since the Kobayashi Maru test was already sort of covered in the first film, the way they're setting up the ending is that Spock is stuck on a volcano. Kirk wants to save him, but someone asks Kirk "If you were the one down there, do you think Spock would save you?" The answer is no. Unless JJ Abrams decides to pull one of his twists on us, Spock will end up sacrificing his life and surprising Kirk.

edit: Also, the even/odd Star Trek rule was always wrong because even though 3 wasn't as good as 2, 4 or 6, it was still IMO a decent film. The more technically correct rule was to say that the even numbered films are better than the odd numbered films immediately preceding and following it. 2 is better than 1 and 3, 4 is better than 3 and 5, etc. This rule still falls apart at 10.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Dec 23, 2012

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The last 10 minutes of Star Trek 3 are some of the best moments of Trek ever filmed, tv included.

"Jim...your name, is Jim"

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Rhyno posted:

The last 10 minutes of Star Trek 3 are some of the best moments of Trek ever filmed, tv included.

"Jim...your name, is Jim"

I personally like the scene where Sarek is making Kirk relive the moments of Spock's death. His semi-hammy "No..." followed by a tear hammers it home for me EVERY time I watch it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Comfortador posted:

I personally like the scene where Sarek is making Kirk relive the moments of Spock's death. His semi-hammy "No..." followed by a tear hammers it home for me EVERY time I watch it.

It's a really good film, I hate that it gets such a bad rep. I mean hell, how many of us didn't cry when the Enterprise is burning up in the atmosphere?

epic weed mom
Sep 1, 2006

It's not a bad movie for me in the sense that I've seen it something stupid like three times and I wouldn't say no to seeing it again, but I still never remember poo poo about it

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Steve Yun posted:

Okay so having seen the 9 minute trailer, here is my guess on one of the angles they're going to take for the ending

Part of the setup for the ending of Khan was that Kirk never took the Kobayashi Maru test fairly. He cheated death his whole life and always won, never had to make a sacrifice, never had to actually face death. Spock does it for him, and it shakes Kirk's worldview.

Now, since the Kobayashi Maru test was already sort of covered in the first film, the way they're setting up the ending is that Spock is stuck on a volcano. Kirk wants to save him, but someone asks Kirk "If you were the one down there, do you think Spock would save you?" The answer is no. Unless JJ Abrams decides to pull one of his twists on us, Spock will end up sacrificing his life and surprising Kirk.

Hi, you might be interested in STAR TREK 2: THE WRATH OF KHAN.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

AlternateAccount posted:

Hi, you might be interested in STAR TREK 2: THE WRATH OF KHAN.

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing this film is JJ Abrams' way of remaking Wrath of Khan without using Khan.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Steve Yun posted:

I could be wrong, but I'm guessing this film is JJ Abrams' way of remaking Wrath of Khan without using Khan.

I am fairly certain you are wrong because that was the first 9 minutes of the movie.

mareep
Dec 26, 2009

Was it? I didn't necessarily get that impression but there's also no way that's anywhere near the climax of the film. Wouldn't make any sense. Does make more sense that it would open with that.

Regardless after seeing the nine minute preview, I'm pretty excited. I have no particular attachment to Star Trek as I grew up only watching the occasional episode of TNG or DS9, but Star Trek 09 was a huge amount of fun. This looks like more of the same so I'm on board.

ApexAftermath
May 24, 2006

redjenova posted:

Was it? I didn't necessarily get that impression but there's also no way that's anywhere near the climax of the film.

Yes it's the opening 9 minutes. Might be some more credits poo poo we're not getting, but that is the opening of the film. Same deal as when they showed the opening to Dark Knight Rises. It makes sense too. Open the movie by throwing us back into the world again with a straightforward old school Trek mission.

I'm sorry but anyone who thinks they would show a segment from the ending of the film 6 months before the film comes out in theaters is kind of stupid.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS

Farecoal posted:

It looked like an engine room on a 19th century steamer, it was awful. Well actually it just looked like a bunch of big water pipes, apparently the Enterprise needs some serious plumbing

That one bathroom has a lot of waste to move.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
There's a rather spoilery article up on AICN where Cumberbatch discusses his character with some more vague details...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60161

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

AlternateAccount posted:

There's a rather spoilery article up on AICN where Cumberbatch discusses his character with some more vague details...

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/60161

Based on that article, I think it's possible that in this timeline, Starfleet got to the Botany Bay (or another sleeper ship) since Kirk wasn't around to intercept it, and have the superhumans under wraps somewhere. Harrison is one of them, perhaps unfrozen and serving in Starfleet as some kind of high-level advisor, since the superhumans were all crazy smart. He wants the rest of his people unfrozen, and he wants his planet back. If Peter Weller is indeed in the movie somewhere as an advisor to Harrison, there's Khan. It's a riff on an old story, but a new character.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Craig Spradlin posted:

Based on that article, I think it's possible that in this timeline, Starfleet got to the Botany Bay (or another sleeper ship) since Kirk wasn't around to intercept it, and have the superhumans under wraps somewhere. Harrison is one of them, perhaps unfrozen and serving in Starfleet as some kind of high-level advisor, since the superhumans were all crazy smart. He wants the rest of his people unfrozen, and he wants his planet back. If Peter Weller is indeed in the movie somewhere as an advisor to Harrison, there's Khan. It's a riff on an old story, but a new character.

I've been assuming this since I heard Peter Weller is in the movie. And honestly, it sounds like it could be a good idea, if this is the case.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Frankly, I want him to reprise his previous role; Alex "RoboCop" Murphy. There's no reason to do anything else.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Frankly, I want him to reprise his previous role; Alex "RoboCop" Murphy. There's no reason to do anything else.

He could be a clone of that Terra Prime guy he played in Enterprise. :downs:

MisterFusion
Mar 8, 2010

Craig Spradlin posted:

I think it's common knowledge that the Klingons will be featured in this movie. I almost wonder if it's the Klingons that find the Botany Bay, and release Khan and his ilk. The augments defeat the Klingons, and return to Federation space and are re-integrated into starfleet somehow. Or perhaps Harrison is the only augment to survive. I'm sure I'm wrong, but it's an idea I've been entertaining.

Craig Spradlin
Apr 6, 2009

Right in the babymaker.

MisterFusion posted:

I think it's common knowledge that the Klingons will be featured in this movie. I almost wonder if it's the Klingons that find the Botany Bay, and release Khan and his ilk. The augments defeat the Klingons, and return to Federation space and are re-integrated into starfleet somehow. Or perhaps Harrison is the only augment to survive. I'm sure I'm wrong, but it's an idea I've been entertaining.

I think that's a more elegant explanation than what I came up with. The only sticking point is that the interview makes it sound like Starfleet has some dirty secrets, and what dirtier than a warehouse full of veterans from the Eugenics Wars, living or dead?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Rhyno posted:

It's a really good film, I hate that it gets such a bad rep. I mean hell, how many of us didn't cry when the Enterprise is burning up in the atmosphere?

All the Star Fleet Battles players, who were cheering.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Madurai posted:

Well those guys are jerks!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Madurai posted:

Tahahaha

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Abrams revealed in an interview that the studio forced him to release 'Star Trek Into Darkness' in 3D for 'economic reasons'. He didn't want to do it, but wasn't given a choice in the matter. He claims he's come around on the format somewhat, but in general dislikes it because he can't really watch 3D movies himself without issues.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...easons-20130111

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

FlamingLiberal posted:

Abrams revealed in an interview that the studio forced him to release 'Star Trek Into Darkness' in 3D for 'economic reasons'. He didn't want to do it, but wasn't given a choice in the matter. He claims he's come around on the format somewhat, but in general dislikes it because he can't really watch 3D movies himself without issues.

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayl...easons-20130111

So in finalizing the film is he just alternating between sitting in the editing room and puking in the washroom?

Palpatine MD
Jan 31, 2012

Passionate about your involuntary euthanasia.

Lobok posted:

So in finalizing the film is he just alternating between sitting in the editing room and puking in the washroom?
Coincidentally, this was also the creative process while making Super 8.

j/k Super 8 was great

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

The new Trek comic is now starting a 4 issue "Countdown to Darkness" set, written, (at least in part) by Roberto Orci. They should be pretty spoilerific.

Trekmovie.com has a review up of the first issue that includes a brief introduction to the story. Seriously don't read this unless you love spoilers.

quote:

Months after the loss of Vulcan and his mother, Spock is still having difficulty. His grief keeps him awake and pushes Uhura away. Kirk is awake too, talking to the computer because he lacks companionship. Both arrive on the bridge ahead of schedule for a routine mission, scanning a pre-industrial society on Phaedus. A high frequency energy field from the planet’s surface disrupts communications and the transporter. Kirk, Spock, Sulu and Hendorff take a shuttle to investigate and are attacked with energy weapons. Sulu is seriously injured when the shuttle goes down. Armed with weapons they shouldn’t have and an older model Starfleet tricorder, the natives of Phaedus demand identification. Kirk, in turn, demands to know where they got their weapons. Robert April, a former captain of the Enterprise answers.

I'm guessing Peter Weller will be playing April? Or Orci is messing with us and April won't be in the movie at all, but he seems less into jerking us around than JJ.

More about April can be found here.

e: Also, lol @ comic book lens flare.

frumpus fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 22, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I have the book in my hands and April does not look like he's drawn to resemble Weller. Honestly he looks more like Rutger Hauer.

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

If you feel like spoiling the comic for me: Is April still introduced as the first Captain of the Enterprise? Didn't the 2009 movie make pretty clear that Pike was Captain for the maiden voyage? After 2009, April seems like a nonsense character to me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

frumpus posted:

If you feel like spoiling the comic for me: Is April still introduced as the first Captain of the Enterprise? Didn't the 2009 movie make pretty clear that Pike was Captain for the maiden voyage? After 2009, April seems like a nonsense character to me.

One thing to remember, in the new film universe the Enterprise series still happened. So there was a ship named Enterprise before the USS Enterprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frumpus
Nov 28, 2005

You'll have to excuse the 'spergin here, but actually:

No, April is supposedly the first Captain of Kirk's Enterprise, 1701. Not any iteration of Archer's NX-01.

See this nerdy chart here from the link I posted above, and note the 'alternate reality' Enterprise, (the current movies) where April has been removed.)

So what says the comic about all this? It's not available on Comixology yet.

• Locked thread