Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

onoflalks posted:

Me and my girlfriend were sat in the cinema (the Cineworld on Renfrew St if you must know) and the World War Z advert popped up. It's a good game of "spot Glasgow". You can tell where the Greggs is meant to be.

Those hordes of people are just hankering for some Greggs macaroni pies.

Also getting to Strathclyde Uni (literally right next to George Square) was a pain in the rear end when they were filming it with everyone milling around trying to sneak a peak. Was still a fun spectacle though. Plus all the big bookshops didn't hesitate to advertise as many copies of World War Z as soon as physically possible.

On an unrelated note, Attenborough's Africa is god drat top notch. I'm not sure anything can really top the Kalahari episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

onoflalks posted:

Me and my girlfriend were sat in the cinema (the Cineworld on Renfrew St if you must know) and the World War Z advert popped up. It's a good game of "spot Glasgow". You can tell where the Greggs is meant to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcwTxRuq-uk

Have a go!

With the PrScr key and google streetmaps, could you make a small effort post for those of us not familiar with Glasgow?

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

VogeGandire posted:

It's funny to think that Greggs, GoMA, and Queen Street station are all BARELY out of shot. Hell, I was hoping we'll get a slight glimpse of Wellington's Traffic Cone.

I walked by the set every morning for all the time it was there. I might have broken in and played with a SWAT van at one point.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

Chunk5 posted:

With the PrScr key and google streetmaps, could you make a small effort post for those of us not familiar with Glasgow?

Here we're looking at George Square from George Street:

Google Maps:

A nice overhead shot from Glasgow City Chambers:

Google Maps with City Chambers in central background:

Finally a shot looking down George Street where George Square is behind us:

Google Maps version. The red building on the left with the three big gates is Strathclyde University's Royal College building:

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Just watched the first episode of Utopia and I was genuinely quite horrified by large parts of that. And yet it was so utterly compelling that I couldn't turn away. It reminds me a lot of another series a few years ago called Funland which was just as strange and uncomfortable but equally addictive.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

VogeGandire posted:

That's why I'll never be able to watch World War Z when it comes out. It's supposed to be set in Philadelphia, but lots of it was filmed in George Square in Glasgow. A particularly iconic part of Glasgow, a landmark.

Same when watching The Dark Knight Rises and the chase is on. "That's Bothwell street. So's that. And tha...are they just driving in circles?"

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Anybody watch My Mad Fat Diary?

It made odd watching for me, being the same age as the protagonist was in 1996 brought back a lot of awkward memories I'd suppressed, mostly about being a bit of a homely dork who could never get a boyfriend and the various crushes I had on impossibly dreamy boys. I'd recommend watching it, the title makes it sound a bit poo poo but it is good watching, especially if you were born in the U.K. around 1980ish.

It also made me feel quite old as they were clearly going for nostalgic cameo shots of various chocolate bars, cars, music and fashion etc of the time.
:cry: IT WASN'T THAT LONG AGO OH GOD IT WAS :cry:

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
Wait, it's not set in the modern day? I was going to watch the first episode because sometimes trailers make things look poo poo and this was no exception. Wanted to give it a proper go before writing it off.

And yes, as a 30 year old I have to keep reminding myself how long ago even the mid-90s was :(

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It just looked a bit like a crap attempted at a female Inbetweeners, but if it's good, I might give it a chance.

(e): Manic Street Preachers within 10 minutes. I'm pretty sold already.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 12:11 on Jan 17, 2013

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!
This could be pretty good or it could be utter shite, but it will probably be better than the last series of An Idiot Abroad.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

onoflalks posted:

This could be pretty good or it could be utter shite, but it will probably be better than the last series of An Idiot Abroad.

If it has less of Gervais disturbingly malicious cackle, I'll give it a go.

Seriously, opinions aside from his successes and failures that man has a loving irritating laugh.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
Surely we've had enough of Karl Pilkington now? I loved him on the old xfm shows and the podcasts, but all sense of realism has gone now. He's effectively in the same comic niche as Keith Lemon or the Pub Landlord. He is just a character.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, the suspension of disbelief has gone. There used to be a feeling that he might be that stupid, but now it's just really obvious that it's all just a play for the camera.

There's no way he'll be able to carry a programme by himself either. It'll just be even more grating.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Karl Pilkington is this generation's Frank Sidebottom and I have confidence he can make it on his own.

Double Happiness
Aug 4, 2010

Quit smoking reduces heart risk

VogeGandire posted:

Aw, gently caress OFF, Stanhope.

Can someone explain to me why everyone in this thread hates Doug Stanhope?

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Double Happiness posted:

Apparently he's a libertarian douche and he's not funny at all.

(I actually like him and one of his standups that I saw was loving hilarious.)

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Double Happiness posted:

He's an unfunny comedian. That's a pretty good reason, isn't it?

But, yeah, sarcasm aside I think most people just don't like his act. I personally find his delivery really grating and any show he's on just grinds to an unfunny halt when he's on. I was glad when he killed himself any way.

AmericanBarbarian
Nov 23, 2011

Gorn Myson posted:

Just watched the first episode of Utopia and I was genuinely quite horrified by large parts of that. And yet it was so utterly compelling that I couldn't turn away. It reminds me a lot of another series a few years ago called Funland which was just as strange and uncomfortable but equally addictive.

The first episode of Utopia was amazing. It strongly reminded me of a comic book series called The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. I hope the six episode mini-series format it's in turns out to work well. I have high hopes for this series to continue being amazing.

Chunk5
Jun 26, 2010

Lugaloco posted:

Here we're looking at George Square from George Street:

Google Maps:

A nice overhead shot from Glasgow City Chambers:

Google Maps with City Chambers in central background:

Finally a shot looking down George Street where George Square is behind us:

Google Maps version. The red building on the left with the three big gates is Strathclyde University's Royal College building:

Thanks for that, I find stuff like this fascinating.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Double Happiness posted:

I don't usually find him funny, but he was good in 2012 Wipe and Louie.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Oh poo poo, yeah, that Louie episode was fantastic.

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
Way To Go is on BBC Three tonight. It looks decent and I'll give it a look purely because it has Blake Harrison (Neil from the Inbetweeners) in it.

James R
Dec 22, 2006

I hear they're still eating paper. Is that true?

Semprini posted:

Same when watching The Dark Knight Rises and the chase is on. "That's Bothwell street. So's that. And tha...are they just driving in circles?"

I remember wishing they'd smash through the student loans company.

jfjnpxmy
Feb 23, 2011

by Lowtax

Taff posted:

Well I thought that was brilliant. Torture part was gripping.

[Utopia spoilers]

I found that bit actually let a lot of the air of it, for me anyway. Until then the two menacing blokes had been perfectly menacing in an understated yet very real way, with their affable manner and peculiar methods of killing being far enough from what is usual in such a show to make them pretty unnerving. When they had the fella and they're doing a whole cliché torturer speech and being gratuitously nasty, I wasn't thinking "Oh god eeuuurgh lookit his eyes uurgh" I was thinking "Okay, I get it, they're nasty men."

Which, when combined with the extremely clumsy foreshadowing of the handcuff escape, kinda snapped me out of the stupor that the pretty visuals had lulled me into, and made me start realising how impossibly leaden a lot of the writing was.

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches
I can see what you mean about clumsy foreshadowing, but to be honest till they walked out of the room I was too gripped at what was happening to remember that part, then it suddenly clicked.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
The horrible spinoff Spooks: Code 9 aired was filmed in West Yorkshire. The "London gets nuked" flashback was filmed on the M62, with the mushroom cloud shot being filmed on the eastbound slip-road of J29... which faces towards Bradford, where the series is set.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

TinTower posted:

The horrible spinoff Spooks: Code 9 aired was filmed in West Yorkshire. The "London gets nuked" flashback was filmed on the M62, with the mushroom cloud shot being filmed on the eastbound slip-road of J29... which faces towards Bradford, where the series is set.

Code 9 was amazing. "what qualifies you to work here?" "well...I solved Fermat's Last Theorem when I was 19 :smug:"

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Well, Mad Fat Diary was really good. Definitely watching the rest of them.

Soundtrack was loving awesome too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

thehustler posted:

Well, Mad Fat Diary was really good. Definitely watching the rest of them.

Soundtrack was loving awesome too.

As I said, as soon as "A Design for Life" by Manic Street Preachers kicked in, I was sold on the entire thing.

Turns out it was actually a good show too.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

Yeah the Manics made me sway in time with it. Laughed at Boyzone coming on.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Haha, glad you liked it, I always get a bit nervous about recommending stuff, especially when the trailers made it look so rubbish. It's a shame they decided to go for the 'Inbetweeners' vibe in them as it is not really like that at all. As I said, it does bring back a lot of similar memories I had at that age, which in turn is cringy but weirdly comforting, I was not alone!!

I bet they had a lot of fun thinking up nostalgic things to stick in it. I expect to see Tamigotchis at some point.

I really like the lead actress too.

Captain Mediocre
Oct 14, 2005

Saving lives and money!

I really expected Utopia to be shite, the adverts for it just rubbed me up the wrong way I guess. Highly recommended on the strength of the first episode, good stuff.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

The last two mentioned programs really were let down by their own advertising trailers. I guess Channel 4 has some rookie and they give him advertisements to direct and edit?

Fazana
Mar 5, 2011

Dancing Elephant
Instructor

AmericanBarbarian posted:

The first episode of Utopia was amazing. It strongly reminded me of a comic book series called The Invisibles by Grant Morrison. I hope the six episode mini-series format it's in turns out to work well. I have high hopes for this series to continue being amazing.

It really was and it's a shame that it's only had a couple of mentions. The way it was shot was worth watching it for alone. James Fox and Stephen Rea popping up on C4 was a surprise in itself.

I still don't really know wth is going on but I know I'll be watching next week to find out more!

The Big Taff Man
Nov 22, 2005

Official Manchester United Posting Partner 2015/16
Fan of Britches

SeanBeansShako posted:

The last two mentioned programs really were let down by their own advertising trailers. I guess Channel 4 has some rookie and they give him advertisements to direct and edit?

I thought the advert for Utopia was great

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, Mad Fat Diary was really betrayed by it's advertising. It made it look like a totally different show.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

I thought the first episode of Utopia was pretty great. All the advertising for it was really annoying me before though.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Also, caught Way To Go despite recent sadness with real life pets.

It was alright, raised a good chuckle and odd wry smile.

seiken
Feb 7, 2005

hah ha ha

Fazana posted:

It really was and it's a shame that it's only had a couple of mentions. The way it was shot was worth watching it for alone. James Fox and Stephen Rea popping up on C4 was a surprise in itself.

I still don't really know wth is going on but I know I'll be watching next week to find out more!

Utopia was so good I tracked this thread down to post in about how good it was.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGodzilla
Sep 24, 2012

I sure hope Godzilla-senpai notices me~
I don't live in the UK so I literally hadn't heard of Utopia from anywhere but this thread. I'm so glad I looked it up, because it really was excellent.