Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
My gf got through a good portion of the TV series ROME with the haunted house-- at least 5-6 hour long episodes, and we did a bunch of work on sorting and stuff while watching other stuff.

So basically 7+ hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

riversarl
Nov 11, 2012
Went to the local toystore searching for series 9 minifigs and ended up getting Batman vs Mr Freeze plus a few missing figs from series 7. Every one of the $20 superhero sets just hit it out of the park!

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sloppy posted:

Got any better shots of the Classic Space vessel in the background?

Also, if any Pacific NW goons are interested I'm selling off a pretty sweet 45lb pile loaded with minifigs. I'm flexible on price! I can't drive it anywhere unfortunately, and shipping would probably be not worth it.

Sadly they turned out kinda blurry. Cameras apparently have a hard time focussing with hyper kids running around everywhere.

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 20, 2013

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

GTJustin posted:

Has anyone picked up the http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Chima-Cragger-Command-70006/dp/B00A850VO2 lego chima cragger? $58 is pretty tempting, and a crocodile boat just sounds awesome.

edit: disregard, sold out already

Easy to see why. Two cents off 79.99 is a sick deal.

Huge Fucker Bitch
Jan 8, 2004
Local TRU got in season 9 minifigs, managed to get everything I wanted except for plumber and the forest maiden. The cyclops face is pretty amazing!

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

The nearest Fred Meyer to me still has like 7 boxes of S7, nearly untouched, and they don't have any S9 in. The one down on River Road in Puyallup, though, had 6 boxes of S9, two unopened! I grabbed one box and started trying to feel out another roller derby girl for my mom (I need a third pair of skates for a custom minifig), but after going through two boxes, I couldn't seem to find one to any degree of certainty. With my unopened box, I found one on the left side in the middle of the row, and one on the right side in the back. Next time I'm hunting and find a fresh box, I'll focus there.

I may have to buy 5 more Space Orks, so my 10 Space Marines have a proper opposing force. Going to be a pain in the rear end, though, since there are so many figs with bulky parts in this run.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

I poked through the one box at the Burien Fred Meyer tonight and found everything but forest maiden, plumber, and roller derby girl. Lots of orcs, cyclopsi, and sweet armor bros though.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
My local Walmart has the Star Wars advent for $25. No sign of S9 anywhere though.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Saint Sputnik posted:

My local Walmart has the Star Wars advent for $25. No sign of S9 anywhere though.

Even at 50% off, that's pushing it for the 2012 SW Advent Calendar.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Are the modular buildings built as modules, or do you need to open all the bags first?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

smackfu posted:

Are the modular buildings built as modules, or do you need to open all the bags first?

The bags are numbered, and will be relevant to each stage. First floor of the building, bags 1 & 2, etc.

Pirate Ken
Jul 1, 2006
I am super awesome.

GTJustin posted:

Has anyone picked up the http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Chima-Cragger-Command-70006/dp/B00A850VO2 lego chima cragger? $58 is pretty tempting, and a crocodile boat just sounds awesome.

edit: disregard, sold out already

I bought one for $57. Looks like a fun and absurd set. And the croc figures are boss.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I actually really enjoyed building the VW Camper without numbered bags, I wouldn't want to do it for every model, but it was cool routing for pieces like I used to have to.

Also, I've decided that I'm going to pick up the Haunted House next.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

Pyroclastic posted:

Even at 50% off, that's pushing it for the 2012 SW Advent Calendar.

It was close enough to my 10c/pc rule of thumb, plus it has this little guy

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

IGNORE MY POSTS posted:

Local TRU got in season 9 minifigs, managed to get everything I wanted except for plumber and the forest maiden. The cyclops face is pretty amazing!

I just grabbed a handful at TRU this morning, and ... am I crazy, or does the plastic used in this series feel cheap?

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!

Red posted:

I just grabbed a handful at TRU this morning, and ... am I crazy, or does the plastic used in this series feel cheap?

nope, not crazy.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Red posted:

The plastic from china does feel different, the super heros sets that I have that had parts come from their and all the CMF's it feels off. I notice the leg's are more brittle as well so the small ridge at the back of the feet does tend to crack often enough.

Rythe
Jan 21, 2011

When it comes to gluing Lego together for a permanent display is super glue the best bet or is there something else that is better for holding the bricks together. I was also thinking of coating the display item with Modge Podge to help re-enforce it.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The sword for the knight seemed pretty flimsy, compared to the usually solid swords.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Rythe posted:

When it comes to gluing Lego together for a permanent display is super glue the best bet or is there something else that is better for holding the bricks together. I was also thinking of coating the display item with Modge Podge to help re-enforce it.

You could try plastic cement; I don't know if it works on the plastic Lego uses, but it will be about as sturdy as you can get and it's readily available if you look in stores that have Airfix models and stuff. (note that it will literally melt your bricks together- they are not coming apart after you use it on them)

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

The_Doctor posted:

The bags are numbered, and will be relevant to each stage. First floor of the building, bags 1 & 2, etc.

Thanks, I ended up building the Fire Station and was asking because I wasn't sure I'd have time to do it all and don't really have a place to store opened bags. For this set, the 1 bags have the fire truck and the first floor, and the 2 bags have the second floor and roof.

Fun build but seriously hours of work. Lots of neat details and connections that are right on the edge of being allowed. You can tell they let the designers go a bit wild on these sets.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Just left the Schaumburg store, it was crazy busy. Talked myself out of Villa Savoye, but lucked out and found the Halloween mini fig set with the witch and zombie business guy.

I was super happy to see the boy-to-girl ratio, too. A nice mix of kids looking at a nice mix of sets. I think the genderfication of Friends has been blown out of proportion.

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Sloppy posted:

Got any better shots of the Classic Space vessel in the background?

Also, if any Pacific NW goons are interested I'm selling off a pretty sweet 45lb pile loaded with minifigs. I'm flexible on price! I can't drive it anywhere unfortunately, and shipping would probably be not worth it.

Oh man, to hell with you. I live in your town. Buying $400 worth of misc bricks would be wildly irresponsible of me. Course I just got my student loan money for the quarter. Which it would also be wildly irresponsible to use.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Koramei posted:

You could try plastic cement; I don't know if it works on the plastic Lego uses, but it will be about as sturdy as you can get and it's readily available if you look in stores that have Airfix models and stuff. (note that it will literally melt your bricks together- they are not coming apart after you use it on them)

Since lego is made with a styrene-based plastic, plastic cement should work. I'm not sure if it'll work on clear elements, though. If you do use plastic cement, keep in mind that, because it does melt the plastic, you'll need to be really careful not to get it on any exposed surfaces or it will permanently ruin them.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
He's saying he'll be right over.

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Here are some western Mecha things I did last night and Photographed this morning upon completion.

I guess for official purposes this can count as Mecha, rather than western.

My vote for next theme is "Planes".

Prince Reggie K fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jan 21, 2013

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

So if I have this A-wing and like it well enough, is the new A-wing enough of an upgrade to justify dropping $25 on it?

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL

Xenomrph posted:

So if I have this A-wing and like it well enough, is the new A-wing enough of an upgrade to justify dropping $25 on it?

I don't have the old one to compare against, but I just got the new one and it's a really good looking build in my opinion, definitely worth the $25 to me.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Chenghiz posted:

I don't have the old one to compare against, but I just got the new one and it's a really good looking build in my opinion, definitely worth the $25 to me.

I got the previous 3. The orginal is parts.... and the last two are flying in formation and looking forward to the new one joining the squad.

mynnna
Jan 10, 2004

Koramei posted:

Superglue works fine. I used it on the bits of the main fuselage of the B-Wing because goddamn do they not just go together at all. If you don't use glue you get a big, ugly gap.

e: I have just one question regarding this A-Wing. Why does Ackbar have a coffee mug? :confused:

Fun little model otherwise though, apart from the stupid flick missiles. Those are gonna have to go.

mynnna fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Jan 21, 2013

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
Someone ask for some Brickvention Classic Space GIANT SPACECRAFT?

It was hella dusty up close. Those are original Classic Space, alright

Also my favourite from the entire show has to be this behemoth that I had to step away from to get a good shot of

Technically though, this one was amazing.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Mine was the red spaceship I posted earlier, tied with the tiny rainbow racepod. :3:

That mech would not stop wobbling the whole time I was looking at it though. It was kind of alarming.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.

SynthOrange posted:

Mine was the red spaceship I posted earlier, tied with the tiny rainbow racepod. :3:

That mech would not stop wobbling the whole time I was looking at it though. It was kind of alarming.

Holy crap, you're one of the guys who do those awesome spaceships every Brickvention? I tip my hat to you. It wasn't shaking when I was there, but I went first thing on Saturday so may have just become a bit unstable as the weekend went on :ohdear:

Got a ton more pictures if anyone wants them, including trying my drat hardest to get as much of the town layout as possible. That thing was massive

Also,

Burgers.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

No no, I meant that the red spaceship was my favourite of the show. :v:

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

MaliciousOnion posted:

Since lego is made with a styrene-based plastic, plastic cement should work. I'm not sure if it'll work on clear elements, though. If you do use plastic cement, keep in mind that, because it does melt the plastic, you'll need to be really careful not to get it on any exposed surfaces or it will permanently ruin them.

One thing I've used for stuff where being permanently melted together was excessive is just some rubber cement. It'll come apart, but it requires a lot more effort than just normal Lego building.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Mecheon posted:

Holy crap, you're one of the guys who do those awesome spaceships every Brickvention? I tip my hat to you. It wasn't shaking when I was there, but I went first thing on Saturday so may have just become a bit unstable as the weekend went on :ohdear:

Got a ton more pictures if anyone wants them, including trying my drat hardest to get as much of the town layout as possible. That thing was massive

Also,

Burgers.

That building in the back right. What's up with the texturing around the green windows? I can't tell what's going on there from this photo.

Tkytko
Jul 15, 2007

"Hisui-chan~, it seems a few things broke."

"... Nee-san, please refrain from cleaning again."

They're just stacks of the fluted 2x2 cylinder bricks. http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=92947

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Mecheon posted:

Someone ask for some Brickvention Classic Space GIANT SPACECRAFT?

It was hella dusty up close. Those are original Classic Space, alright

Thanks, this is tempting me to make another giant ship. Up close it almost seems like he is still adding on to it, the wings especially look unfinished.

Jordanis posted:

Oh man, to hell with you. I live in your town. Buying $400 worth of misc bricks would be wildly irresponsible of me. Course I just got my student loan money for the quarter. Which it would also be wildly irresponsible to use.

Gimme 350 :v:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Xenomrph posted:

Do it. It comes with Ackbar, who is one of my GF's favorite SW side characters, so it was a no-brainer for me. Plus the A-Wing was always one of my favorite looking ships in SW, and it is much less than the heavy 45+ that the other ships go for.

But the build is fun and the front of the ship looks a lot cooler than the old model. Plus three minifigs.

However, we were a bit drunk when we put on the decals in the front, and now they are a bit crooked. Oh well, lesson learned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching
For some reason the new A-Wing has a coffee cup in the set. I know I have to be missing some kind of inside joke on why it is in the set.