Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cingulate posted:

Guybrush can hold his breath for 10 minutes. Supposedly, Scotty can hold it for even longer, considering he spend the scene, which felt about 3 hours long, fully immersed in FutureWater.

I tried holding my breath through that scene to see if I could make it, and even perfectly calm sitting on the couch, I couldn't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
If anyone on the Enterprise can breathe ethanol, it's Montgomery Scott.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's far more plausible for an engine room to look almost-exactly like a brewery than for an alien creature to look almost-exactly like a human being. Blammo!

There is an in universe explanation for this.

Professor Clumsy
Sep 12, 2008

It is a while still till Sunrise - and in the daytime I sleep, my dear fellow, I sleep the very deepest of sleeps...

AlternateAccount posted:

Is it that God exists?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

AlternateAccount posted:

Yeah, and both of those episodes were really dumb.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Clumsy, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Chase_(Star_Trek:_The_Next_Generation)
It's similar to Prometheus, only not good.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Oh, you mean exactly like Prometheus? :v:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Oh, you mean exactly like Prometheus? :v:

This is not an argument worth bringing up in an already volatile thread!

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

CPFortest posted:

Yeah, and both of those episodes were really dumb.

What's the other one?

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

What's the other one?

Return to Tomorrow, from the Original Series. Although that episode was a lot better than The Chase.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

And it's an after-the-fact canon patch-up that's still more far-fetched than an engine room looking like a brewery.

The only important question is "What makes for effective scenes and stories?"

Spock's character arc in Star Trek '09 is an excellent reason for Vulcans, humans, and other species to look similar and be capable of producing offspring. It's a far better justification than some terrible TNG episode designed to calm the whining of obsessives.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Kazy posted:

I tried holding my breath through that scene to see if I could make it, and even perfectly calm sitting on the couch, I couldn't.
But you're an out of shape goon, Scotty isn't, also the imminent threat of death is a great motivator.

Karpaw
Oct 29, 2011

by Cyrano4747
The scene is poo poo because Scotty is supposed to be in mortal danger and it's played for laughs, with Kirk chasing after him like a buffoon.

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Karpaw posted:

The scene is poo poo because Scotty is supposed to be in mortal danger and it's played for laughs, with Kirk chasing after him like a buffoon.

I see what you mean but having one of the iconic Trek characters die by drowning in the engine turbine is already a ridiculous concept so there's no serious tension for the audience regardless. The only tone that works is comedic. Only way to make it better is to not do it at all. Which is ok too.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Karpaw posted:

Thats pretty much every scene on the Enterprise - puffy hands, Chekov's accent, etc.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

McDowell posted:

Thats pretty much every scene on the Enterprise - puffy hands, Chekov's accent, etc.

This is true, I never fully realized that Star Trek is pretty light hearted.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

I said come in! posted:

This is true, I never fully realized that Star Trek is pretty light hearted.

In the episode where the Enterprise takes on a bunch of Irish farmers and their livestock, Captain Picard bursts out laughing and calls the whole premise (of star trek) absurd.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Sinding Johansson posted:

In the episode where the Enterprise takes on a bunch of Irish farmers and their livestock, Captain Picard bursts out laughing and calls the whole premise (of star trek) absurd.

I remember that episode now! That was a real weird episode, where Riker gets a boner for all of the irish women, and the livestock.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

I said come in! posted:

I remember that episode now! That was a real weird episode, where Riker gets a boner for all of the irish women, and the livestock.

And then vaporizes his clone. :v:

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

I said come in! posted:

Well, hey now.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ah yes, the ancient Earth custom of "foot washing."

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Looks like someone ran out of yard for her cardigan~

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

Screw Kirk, I want to see The Most Interesting Captain's story.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I notice Kirk's already got his shirt off there. Classic trek.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Karpaw posted:

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

It always reminded me of this, more:

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

thexerox123 posted:

It always reminded me of this, more:

But there is nothing funny about that scene. It's horrifying. Willy Wonka is the scariest poo poo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Bugblatter posted:

But there is nothing funny about that scene. It's horrifying. Willy Wonka is the scariest poo poo.

I was really disappointed with the Burton Wonka film because it showed the children leaving in the factory. In the musical, I just assumed they had all died.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aatrek posted:

Well, hey now.

This was from TNG? They are just living up to the tradition of the the Original. Except those were in the 1960s, thus they were much more:

Based on the article, 'crossed boobstraps' and 'belly dancer' were frequent design elements. Quite a few won't look out of place in The Fifth Element.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 12:16 on Feb 19, 2013

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

effectual posted:

But you're an out of shape goon, Scotty isn't, also the imminent threat of death is a great motivator.
The thing is less that Scotty is amazing at holding his breath for a long time, but that the scene takes a long time.

Which it does, and shouldn't, because it's boring.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

It's a minute long.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Some minutes have more than 60 seconds. Maybe related to time dilation at superluminal speeds?

E: it has this weird comic book feel. It seriously kills my suspense of disbelief (in the context of a movie with time traveling, angry elves). Not even getting into the "air" thing, Scotty is bent around all these tubes as if his body had no joints, no physicality. Kirk runs around like a confused chicken. The valve blows open, Scotty falls to the ground flat on his chest from a height of at least 3, 4 meters, dead and limp. He gets up as if nothing had happened - again, as if he had no bones at all, as if he were a comic figure. He gets up from that, and he doesn't even breathe too heavy after being submerged in un-purified "active reactant" (malt?) for a minute.
It's cartoon slapstick.

Which totally isn't the humor I usually enjoy in the series, which is the different characters clashing. I like the new Scotty, he's a character with quite some humor, his overenthusiasm ("I never beamed three targets from two ships onto one platform!") is great.
Most of the humor in Star Trek tends to be verbal, or in subtle gestures.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Feb 19, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Supercar Gautier posted:

It's a minute long.

Exactly. It also provides a moment of danger and energy in order to break up what would otherwise be a very long sequence of people standing around talking to each other.

e: also "can I have a towel please" is a fantastic line perfectly delivered, so it's worth it for that

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't find people standing around talking boring by itself, especially since the next scene is Spock choking out Kirk after a shouting match and the next scene is Kirk taking the helm and the next scene is the Enterprise rising like Venus from the sea foam of Saturn.

People standing around talking in the face of bad special effects is what defines Star Trek!
That, and slow shots of approaching the Enterprise from behind.

Alchenar posted:

e: also "can I have a towel please" is a fantastic line perfectly delivered, so it's worth it for that
Yes, Scotty reacting to it is the best (only good) part of it.

Great_Gerbil
Sep 1, 2006
Rhombomys opimus

Cingulate posted:

In The Trouble With Tribbles, Kirk sat on a tribble like it was a whoopie cushion.

Just saying.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

I have dramatically cut the length of your post yet it retains its point perfectly!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Shanty posted:

I have dramatically cut the length of your post yet it retains its point perfectly!

Also the entire episode of Spocks Brain.

bobkatt013 fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 19, 2013

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Cingulate posted:

Is this the same series where we see a starship captain is seen grappling and walking away from a bearhug from a guy in a lizard suit that can supposedly lift a 1 ton boulder? How bout an aging out of shape starship captain that would have trouble with a flight of stairs free climbing the face of El Capitan? There has been plenty of slapstick in Star Trek. Intentional or not, its there, tilt camera, everyone stumble that way!

Spaceman Future! fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Feb 19, 2013

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

Cingulate posted:

Spaceman Future! posted:

Is this the same series where we see a starship captain is seen grappling and walking away from a bearhug from a guy in a lizard suit that can supposedly lift a 1 ton boulder? How bout an aging out of shape starship captain that would have trouble with a flight of stairs free climbing the face of El Capitan? There has been plenty of slapstick in Star Trek. Intentional or not, its there, tilt camera, everyone stumble that way!

Let's not also forget this:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Cingulate posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQA-06kSLU

• Locked thread