Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
No one ever said being a Starfleet captain would be glamorous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kazy posted:

Let's not also forget this:

Let's.

:(

Maybe my point should have been, the GOOD humor in Star Trek tends to be verbal.

Though the equivalent scene in JJTrek, where Kirk hurts his head in the shuttle, is a bit less bad.

E: Though I'm really not on good terms with Scotty's Funny Brewery Tube Adventure, I'd actually rather talk about the parts of the movie I enjoy (most), or other Round Spaceships movies.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Feb 19, 2013

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Most of the people who have a problem with Trek 09 have a problem with it because it conflicts with their idea of what Trek should be, not with what it actually is.

e: And by that I mean that Trek is a lot of things, not one specific thing.

Professor Beetus fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Feb 19, 2013

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

DrNutt posted:

Most of the people who have a problem with Trek 09 have a problem with it because it conflicts with their idea of what Trek should be, not with what it actually is.

TOS Trek is basically Doctor Who but with a larger ship (on the outside), if anything ST09 dumping the reliance on 'canon' was basically the best way to get back to that.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I for one don't have "a problem" with JJTrek, I've never considered if it is or isn't True Trek, and if I had come to the conclusion that it isn't, so what. It's a greatly enjoyable movie, that's what it is.
Besides for some scenes I could do without (young Kirk thrashing the car while listening to music my father would try to annoy his father with, Elastic Scotty in the brewery, lame red monster chasing Kirk ... I think that's it?), its main problem is that the villain is a bit on the forgettable side. Cumberbatch leaves more of an impression in the 30 seconds and 2 lines he's given in the trailer, so I'd be surprised if Into Darkness turns out to be anything but fantastic.

computer parts posted:

TOS Trek is basically Doctor Who but with a larger ship (on the outside), if anything ST09 dumping the reliance on 'canon' was basically the best way to get back to that.
I like how it deals with canon. It makes some nice call-backs to Enterprise (Scotty killed Archer's much-hated dog Porthos, both acknowledging that Enterprise existed, and that parts of it sucked and they're not afraid to "kill them"), but it doesn't burdens itself with that stuff. So the Enterprise needs to be scaled up by a factor of, what, 5 to be big enough for our sets to make sense? No problem, tell the CGI folks to make it look pretty and be done with it.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 19, 2013

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Cingulate posted:

Archer's much-hated dog Porthos

:dogout:

Porthos was the most vital crewmember.

MadScientistWorking
Jun 23, 2010

"I was going through a time period where I was looking up weird stories involving necrophilia..."

bobkatt013 posted:

Also teh entire episode of Spocks Brain.
And the part where the evil twins have goatees.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

MadScientistWorking posted:

I don't think that's actually a thing, it's been exaggerated from, like, one example. (Spock)

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Cingulate posted:

young Kirk thrashing the car while listening to music my father would try to annoy his father with

Did you just call "Sabotage" dad rock? What is wrong with you?

thexerox123 posted:

I don't think that's actually a thing, it's been exaggerated from, like, one example. (Spock)

I thought evil alternate dimension Kirk also had a goatee.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

PeterWeller posted:

He doesn't, he just dresses like Aladdin.

And evil Sulu has a scar on his face.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

PeterWeller posted:

No, just a sweet vest:

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?
God, everything about the design of TOS ruled.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Oh, man. I forgot about that vest with the sweet fringe.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Is it canon that Kirk was always a fan of the Beastie Boys, or is that only an element of the new timeline? Also, are the Star Trek references in Beastie Boys songs replaced with references to some other show? If so, what show?

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

Cingulate posted:

Though the equivalent scene in JJTrek, where Kirk hurts his head in the shuttle, is a bit less bad.

The difference: Someone bonking their head in a cramped ship is a funny gag. Having a major character taken out of the action that way is monumentally stupid. "poo poo, we need scotty neutralized for a bit but can't think of a good way to do it. gently caress it, BONK".

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

MadScientistWorking posted:

Happens in The Alternative Factor too, with the evil Lazarus's hilariously disappearing goatee.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
The fact that anyone thinks "Sabotage" won't or shouldn't be playing in the future 24/7 is laughable to me.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl

CPFortest posted:

God, everything about the design of TOS ruled.

Let's not forget this one. Dammmmn, guuuuuuurl.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Ah yes, the standard-issue Imperial communications arm torc, designed to extend the range of any voxxcaster by 2d6 inches.

Rasczak
Mar 30, 2005

Cingulate posted:

young Kirk thrashing the car while listening to music my father would try to annoy his father with

Oh how cute it's a wee little baby. :allears:

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!

korusan posted:

Happens in The Alternative Factor too, with the evil Lazarus's hilariously disappearing goatee.

I thought the difference between the two was the head wound on one of them.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
Even if I didn't love TOS Star Trek, it would still hold a special place in my heart for teaching me more about the female form than I came across my Dad's collection of Playboys. :getin:

I unironically love basically every design choice they made in that series. And I loved probably 90 plus percent of the choices they made in Trek '09, one of the most important of which was finding a young, sexy cast (men and women both) and then showing them off. TOS was sexy as hell and it is only fitting that the remake be that as well. So many of the "fans" tend to forget all the skin on display, the slapstick humor, and all the flat out action that the series had at the beginning. Yes, there were whole episodes that were essentially submarine warfare (and they were great), but the whole series wasn't The Enterprise sneaking through a nebula after the Reliant. Yes, that movie rules. Yes, Balance of Terror was one of the best episodes, but for every slow, tense episode like that there were ten where Kirk ran around without a shirt on.

The brewery scene has been well-defended here, so I won't repeat what others have said. As a guy who is obsessed enough with Star Trek that I knew Balance of Terror without having to look it up, I loving loved JJTrek and am unreasonably excited for the sequel.

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Geekboy posted:

So many of the "fans" tend to forget all the skin on display, the slapstick humor, and all the flat out action that the series had at the beginning.

That's because so many fans are only fans of the gray tedium of Next Gen, which is the goddamn board game version of Star Trek.

thexerox123
Aug 17, 2007

penismightier posted:

That's because so many fans are only fans of the gray tedium of Next Gen, which is the goddamn board game version of Star Trek.

Sometimes literally!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

thexerox123 posted:

Sometimes literally!

Man, being Chancellor of the Klingon Empire must be awesome if you can use the Enterprise as your own personal tilt o whirl.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I'd let the whole brewery scene thing rest because it's been going on for too long now, but it seems to be implied that the only reason somebody would not like it is because it's "not real Star Trek". Which isn't my problem at all. I don't have a problem with it potentially not being in the true spirit of the series, whatever that might have been, because, who cares.
I just think it's bad.

The movie's fantastically enjoyable still.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

I think it's that the TNG-era made people assume that 'trek' and 'good action film' are mutually exclusive fields.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
The irony is that throughout their run, they kept going for TNG action movies. In contrast to TOS movies, all of the TNG movies are trying to be good action movies.

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
I was watching some season 7 DS9 and what occurred to me was that it'd be amazing to have a Star Trek movie depict the true horrors of starship or even planetary combat. In DS9 they throw these numbers of 7 million and 10 million casualties at you, but they never truly let those numbers sink in. They also never depict just how truly horrifying it is to die either in a planetary attack or a starship battle. Actually, none of the Star Trek series focus on that, either due to censorship or budget concerns. All you get is some canned starship explosion (and actually, in DS9's defense, space battles became a lot better in seasons 6 and 7, where ships didn't just blow up in a giant fireball, but you actually had debris flying around) and maybe some glum looking Starfleet officer letting you know the latest number of casualties.

I'm sure this trend isn't going to be bucked in the upcoming film, since I guess "wahoo space battles are fun and enjoyable" sells more tickets than "war is hell", but it'd be nice if the next time Star Trek broached an epic, civilization-spanning conflict such as the Dominion war anytime soon that they'd properly depict what it truly means to be on the front lines, both in space and on colonies. DS9 certainly tried doing that a couple times, what with Jake Sisko playing reporter/medic's assistant on that one planet and then Nog playing brave soldier on that other planet, but ehhh... both attempts came across as really hollow. I think the only way to do them justice would be to either depict them in a movie or in some sort of lenient TV series along the lines of HBO or Showtime.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What would be won by doing it in space?

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Show something other than consoles exploding and people flying from their chairs? Because that's literally the extent of space battles in Star Trek series so far. Maybe some non-redshirt crewmember would be like "oh god we have breaches on levels 2 and 7 but it's ok, the containment fields are holding", but yeah, that's about it.

edit: Sorry, are you asking what more could happen in a conflict between starships in space? Because there are certainly more interesting ways to depict starship combat than "blammo, console explodes, Major Kira flies backwards but is helped by Lt. Worf to escape pod" and I don't know if the Star Trek 09 really touched upon them. Then again, I guess maybe it's hard to depict the fragility of the human body when 75% of the bridge crew needs to survive because they're "the good guys" and all the people that die are random redshirts. I guess trying to apply an aesthetic of something like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan to something as inherently glamorous as Star Trek doesn't really work. It'd be nice if it did, though.

edit: vv - hmm, I don't remember those moments. I really should watch ST09 again, it's been a couple of years.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 11:23 on Feb 20, 2013

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Smekerman posted:

Show something other than consoles exploding and people flying from their chairs? Because that's literally the extent of space battles in Star Trek series so far. Maybe some non-redshirt crewmember would be like "oh god we have breaches on levels 2 and 7 but it's ok, the containment fields are holding", but yeah, that's about it.

JJtrek not only has crewmen getting sucked into space (and getting beaten the gently caress up as they are) but it has a dude get pasted to the front of his ship when he rams it. JJtrek is essentially the darkest Star Trek entry when you pay attention to it, and at the same time it has the most lighthearted humor. It was a drat good thing that entry came along.

Namaer
Jun 6, 2004

In the opening of ST09 a woman gets sucked out a hole in the ship pretty graphically. That's probably as intense as we're gonna get from Trek.

Edit: beaten.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
There is a sad sad scene in Khan where the young ensign Scotty had hyped before dies after the Reliant's first attack. "He held his post" or something, and it's a perfect "war is hell" scene in the one sense of the word, where war is the necessary hell where men can show they're men.
I understood you to mean that what you wanted was to have a Star Trek movie whose message was that war is a stupid, unnecessary evil, like Johnny Got His Gun or All Quiet ...

I think the two Space Battles in JJTrek are both done nicely - the one at the beginning, where Kirk senior c-sections his son, and the other one where the Enterprise allows Spock to ram his IED into the Romulan Vagina Dentata.

Smekerman posted:

edit: Sorry, are you asking what more could happen in a conflict between starships in space? Because there are certainly more interesting ways to depict starship combat than "blammo, console explodes, Major Kira flies backwards but is helped by Lt. Worf to escape pod" and I don't know if the Star Trek 09 really touched upon them. Then again, I guess maybe it's hard to depict the fragility of the human body when 75% of the bridge crew needs to survive because they're "the good guys" and all the people that die are random redshirts. I guess trying to apply an aesthetic of something like Band of Brothers or Saving Private Ryan to something as inherently glamorous as Star Trek doesn't really work. It'd be nice if it did, though.
No, I thought you had meant you wanted to see a "War is hell" movie whose message was that war is hell, in space. And I wondered how you thought such a movie would benefit from being set in space?

cmhn74 posted:

In the opening of ST09 a woman gets sucked out a hole in the ship pretty graphically. That's probably as intense as we're gonna get from Trek.

Edit: beaten.
I love how they use the "vacuum doesn't transmit sounds" thing in that scene.
The entire beginning is just good, especially the sounds.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Feb 20, 2013

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Smekerman posted:

They [...] never depict just how truly horrifying it is to die either in a planetary attack or a starship battle. [...] I think the only way to do them justice would be to either depict them in a movie or in some sort of lenient TV series along the lines of HBO or Showtime.

In Star Trek 2009, we see people sucked out into the silent void as they suffocate. An entire, populated, Earth-like planet implodes. Kirk is nearly devoured by a screeching abomination, shortly after his hands inflate into fleshy bulbs due to the side effects of futuristic medicine. Meanwhile, back at the start of the series, Star Trek 1979 begins with a transporter accident turning a dude inside out.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In Star Trek 2009, we see people sucked out into the silent void as they suffocate. An entire, populated, Earth-like planet implodes. Kirk is nearly devoured by a screeching abomination, shortly after his hands inflate into fleshy bulbs due to the side effects of futuristic medicine. Meanwhile, back at the start of the series, Star Trek 1979 begins with a transporter accident turning a dude inside out.
I think they allow only one dude to get sucked.

The only inhabitants of Vulcan we're shown are
- Spock's dad, who gets saved
- a bunch of assholes racist against humans, who die
- Spock's mom, who dies and seems to be the major stand-in for Vulcan, even though she's human and a total blank

The TMP transported accident (two people) is truly horrific though. Way worse body horror than any Spine/Brain Worms in JJTrek/Khan.

The worst part is the dialogue. "What we got back didn't live long. Fortunately" Brrrrrrrr.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Feb 20, 2013

Smekerman
Feb 3, 2001
Yeah, I guess I'm a bit out of date on ST09, I'll re-watch it again soon. Stuff like ST 1979 is what I'm talking about though. That transporter accident was pretty horrifying and yet I think (barring ST09, which I obviously can't speak for anymore) it's the only truly horrifying moment in Star Trek movies. A lot of horrifying poo poo can happen out in space, though, is what my point was, I guess.

And Cingulate, I didn't mean that I wanted a ST movie that showed "war was stupid", just something to show the true meaning of an all-out war. I have a feeling that if DS9 were released today, it'd have a closer aesthetic to Battlestar Galactica in terms of grittiness, subject matter, etc. (seeing as Ronald D. Moore was pretty involved in DS9 especially in latter seasons), but as it stands today, the Dominion War is more characterized by its interpersonal drama between Sisko, Dukat, Odo, that other changeling, etc. than it is by its sheer magnitude.

Anyway, I'll shut up since this veers pretty close to TV talk. I think having a nice intergalactic war as its main storyline would make for a pretty bomb-rear end Star Trek trilogy, though.

edit:

Cingulate posted:

No, I thought you had meant you wanted to see a "War is hell" movie whose message was that war is hell, in space. And I wondered how you thought such a movie would benefit from being set in space?

Oh, I see. No, I don't think having a preachy "war is hell" message would be that fitting for Star Trek, but at the same time, I'd like for them to depict in better detail that land battles in the current era aren't just dirty space marines with a bandaged arm acting all gritty and badass, just like how space battles aren't consoles exploding and people flying from their chairs. From what you guys have said, ST09 seems to have added a bit more weight at least to the space battle side of it, so my points are kinda moot.

Smekerman fucked around with this message at 11:42 on Feb 20, 2013

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh I just remembered the most cruel scene of all the ST movies.
It doesn't involve much blood, or any future technology, just some people and some rope.

When Kirk and Bones investigate the space station Khan and his guys have previously raided, we see the victims face down from the 2nd level promenade, and there's a touch of blood and we see the're tied up with ropes, but it's implied that Khan did something very unnecessary and very sadistic to them.
It's real space station horror.

Edit: Memory Alpha!
The space station is Regula I, Khan is said to have tortured the crew and then slit their throats, "including the Chief".
The guy dying in fulfillment of his duty is some "Peter Preston", who was overeager to go to space. I guess you could also read him as a critique of that type of person.
Only, he foreshadows what's going to happen to Spock later on.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Feb 20, 2013

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Showing the girl getting blown out of the Kelvin and the engineering space exploding at the start of the film has more importance than just those scenes though because later in the film it gives you a frame of reference for when the Enterprise arrives at Vulcan in the middle of the most graphic and detailed debris field Star Trek has ever shown.

Abrams shows you what happens when a Starship gets shot up, then he shows you an entire fleet that's been torn apart and invites your imagination to do the rest without a host of repetitive shots of corridors exploding.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Alchenar posted:

Showing the girl getting blown out of the Kelvin and the engineering space exploding at the start of the film has more importance
Yes, it satisfies my inner geek screaming that there is no sound in space.
(And then later, there is, of course.)

Smekerman posted:

Oh, I see. No, I don't think having a preachy "war is hell" message would be that fitting for Star Trek, but at the same time, I'd like for them to depict in better detail that land battles in the current era aren't just dirty space marines with a bandaged arm acting all gritty and badass
I didn't want to ask how you'd think Star Trek would profit from that message; it has, already, in some DS9 episodes you've highlighted, where it is clearly shown that war is very, very bad, so bad that Sisko would go all Cardassian and assasinate people to end it sooner. DS9 is nice here in that it's not doing the "300" form of War is Hell, where hell is kinda gritty and kinda cool.
War in DS9 just really sucks and everybody wishes it wouldn't ever happen.
(Also, Star Trek has never been in any way been anything close to realistic.)

I wanted to ask how you thought a War is Hell movie would profit from being set in space.

Cingulate fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Feb 20, 2013

• Locked thread