Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

HotCanadianChick posted:

Oh, I'm aware it's retarded. I'm also tired of having spent the last 5 months looking for a mid size standard new enough to be EFI (I plan on doing all my own work and I haven't worked on anything carbed in nearly 20 years because gently caress carbs and their voodoo) and not finding jack poo poo, and/or getting beat to the punch on the handful of decent bikes I have found.

Also not really feeling like paying more money for the FZ6 across town with 8k more miles and some frame rash.

Dont be an idiot, dont be an rear end in a top hat, take it slow and be careful and you can live through a literbike as a first bike. But your riding skill progress will be slower as a result of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

Z3n posted:

Dont be an idiot, dont be an rear end in a top hat, take it slow and be careful and you can live through a literbike as a first bike. But your riding skill progress will be slower as a result of it.

An FZ1 is definitely not an R1, not even close. I started on a Z1000 and the FZ1 is supposed to be a shade tamer. It is not close to ideal as a beginner bike and if you can find something more SV650ish, you should, but it's not going to rip your face off. I mean, c'mon it's not a KTM.

Z3N is correct that you will learn bad habits and form that will take ages to work out, though. And insurance may be painful.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

So, in less than a year I think I'm going to be looking at a new bike. My current bike is an '01 Ninja 250 and I've put about 3k on it since I bought it last July. I expect to put at least 5k on it this summer, probably much more than that. I like the riding position of the Ninja, so I figure I'm looking at nakeds/standards/whatever. I don't really want a whole lot of power at this point in my riding experience so I'm hoping to keep it around 50-70HP. Does that sound reasonable for that amount of experience? Also, gently caress carburetors.

I'd prefer to spend under $5k so that probably limits me entirely to used bikes, which I'm perfectly okay with. Any suggestions on what to look into? I'm already looking at 650Rs.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Truthfully you should be fine on any bike of any horsepower. One of the main reasons people want you to start on a 250 is because it greatly reduces the chances of speed being a factor for rider error. Although I will say that my old SV650, in the power rating you're looking for, was incredibly fun and I miss it a lot. Also carbs own and you should learn how to work on them because they're actually not as bad as you'd think. That said, gently caress carbs, because my bike only runs right around 70 degrees, but it's partially my fault for running 15w40. :negative:

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Fifty Three posted:

So, in less than a year I think I'm going to be looking at a new bike. My current bike is an '01 Ninja 250 and I've put about 3k on it since I bought it last July. I expect to put at least 5k on it this summer, probably much more than that. I like the riding position of the Ninja, so I figure I'm looking at nakeds/standards/whatever. I don't really want a whole lot of power at this point in my riding experience so I'm hoping to keep it around 50-70HP. Does that sound reasonable for that amount of experience? Also, gently caress carburetors.

I'd prefer to spend under $5k so that probably limits me entirely to used bikes, which I'm perfectly okay with. Any suggestions on what to look into? I'm already looking at 650Rs.

The Ninja 650 (and its naked version the ER6-N) put out 65HP, weight 390ish dry, electronic fuel injection. I've been reading up on these as a possible upgrade from my Ninja 500 in a year or two, and there are a lot of good forum posts (in various forums) and formal magazine articles comparing/contrasting this with the perennial CA favorite, the SV650. Those two are much in a class, but the equivalent Honda 600s have a fair bit more horsepower. In my area, a 5-6 year old Ninja 650 with moderate mileage runs in the mid $3K range

If you're okay with less horsepower at a fair bit less price, a early-mid 2000s Ninja 500 does around 50hp and costs $2200-2800 around here (DC). Just make sure (as you can see in todays discussion in the "deals" thread) that you buy a post-94 Ninja 500 unless you get a really low (<$1000) deal on an older one, since the early ones had some bugs that need to be corrected by dropping in a few hunded bucks of post-'94 parts.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Fifty Three posted:

You could deal with more power than that I bet. I say Triumph Street Triple, Aprila Shiver, Ducati Monster 600ish-700ish, Kawasaki Z800 aaaand thats all I can remember. If you find a used sport bike you like you can easily put some bars on it and make the ergos more upright.

Edit: Somehow missed that you were looking at $5k. Some of those are probably more around 6k

Covert Ops Wizard fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Feb 22, 2013

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Fifty Three posted:

With these requirements you have a lot of options. But before I get there, RE: the horsepower bump you're worried about :

Xovaan posted:

Truthfully you should be fine on any bike of any horsepower. One of the main reasons people want you to start on a 250 is because it greatly reduces the chances of speed being a factor for rider error.

other reasons for 250/low displacement bikes - throttle control and learning powerbands
This is one reason, but the main reason that I like the smaller motors is that you can learn proper throttle control on them. After 1.5 years on the 250, you'll be good at reading where in the revs it makes it's power, what gear/revs to have it in for different riding scenarios, and how much throttle to apply when exiting turns etc. Once you've learned throttle control, you should be able to adapt to about any motor with a bit of practice, tho I wouldn't recommend a jump to a busa.

The 250 lets you use the whole rev range and 0-100% throttle without getting scary speeds or breaking laws. Our FZ1 newbie friend HotCanadianChick has 150 hp on a bike that gets to 75 in 1st gear and puts the power on much stronger. It's hard to learn how to control the upper rev range or how much throttle input to give when opening it 20% in 1st gets you to 45 or 50(just guessing, could be wrong but the point stands). Even on my FZ6 if I'm commuting thru the city I can get from A to B without opening the throttle more than 10%. It's hard to get comfortable on the bike if you can't get anywhere near it's limits.

Did you make it thru all of that? If not:

After all of that, my point is that you don't have to think of upgrading bikes like climbing the next rung on a ladder. While there's probably bonuses to that (including every step up being a whole new thrill), it's not necessary. By the time you get the bike you'll have the basics down, and with practice you'll be fine with any bike from a 500-1000 really. I don't know if I'd go as big as a 1000, maybe the 600-800 range, but if you did find a liter bike I think you could ride it. The biggest difference after getting used to the motor will be handling a larger bike. Slower, smoother turn in than the 250, and a bit taller with more weight to move around in slow speed maneuvers.

What you really asked for here: Bike suggestions

Where are you located? On a budget with a 5k ceiling you have a lot of options. Used, of course, but still good bikes. I'd just start hitting up craigslist to see what catches your eye.

FZ6 - I'm partial to it and it's a decent all rounder. You could find one with the 100 hp engine for 35-4000 probably and while they're no stunner, it's a good bike. EFI and I've had no problems from mine that I haven't caused myself. Also a ridiculous valve check interval, like 22500. The Japanese bikes will be more bargain parts than the brit/italian ones I think.

FZ8 - Torquey older brother but just came out in 2011 so might be a bit high in the price range.

Honda 599...honda's fz6

ed: The Aprilia and Triumph mentioned above. Nicer than the Japanese bikes above but I dunno their prices. I got no experience with them but people here love the poo poo out of them.

Monsters are badass but I think you'd be into an older one.

SV650 is popular here and a nice one could be had for that price

The 650R would be a good bike too, but really it's just like a slightly bigger version of your 250. The motor will have more grunt and power but it'll behave similar since it's a I2. It'll be a fine bike for sure, but if I was in your position I'd be looking to try something else, a V twin or I4 or something.

I'm sure there are other bikes people will chime in with but that was just the top of my head.

Ninja edit: Just saw what Covert Ops Wizard said about modding a sportbike and that's definitely an option too. the walken dude here has done that with a Kwak 636 I think.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Feb 22, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Fifty Three posted:

I don't know where you live, you might not be able to find one under $5k, but I love the poo poo out of my 2010 Bonneville. It's EFI, IIRC everything after '08 is EFI. Standard riding position, 87 bhp. I commute with it, ride the mountain roads, and have taken it for a 1500 mile trip with no trouble.

Now, as someone who has also owned an '82 Suzuki and a '79 Honda, I'm a lot less willing to dick around (mechanically speaking) with the Triumph. I take it to the dealer for service, even the oil changes, while I'm happy to tear into the Honda for whatever. Not saying you need to buy something ancient but I'm a lot less paranoid about destroying an $800, 35-year-old bike, and you might consider it.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Snowdens Secret posted:

An FZ1 is definitely not an R1, not even close. I started on a Z1000 and the FZ1 is supposed to be a shade tamer. It is not close to ideal as a beginner bike and if you can find something more SV650ish, you should, but it's not going to rip your face off. I mean, c'mon it's not a KTM.

Hahahahhahahahahahaha

Snowdens Secret posted:

Z3N is correct that you will learn bad habits and form that will take ages to work out, though. And insurance may be painful.

This is true...I'd equate a learning on a 600SS to learning how to drive in a Turbo Elise. A 1000SS? Not too sure. A Corvette ZL-1 seems too weak but some supercars seem like too much.

That FZ1? Big power, long, and a meh suspension? Your first bike is an old Mustang Cobra, HotCanadianChick.

Seriously tho, if it was that good of a deal I would think about trying to flip it and continue the search. It might have been a good deal, but it's a good deal on something you shouldn't really be buying. Sounds like an impulse purchase kinda.

Like z3n said, if you take it real easy you probably won't die (not in a "250 OR YOU GONNA DIE" way, as in "Riding is dangerous and we could die everytime" way) or get in too much trouble, but the rate you learn riding skills will be stunted. In my case I managed to get around okay and enjoy my ride, but I was never comfortable with my control of the bike, and that was only on a FZ6. It wasn't until I road a 250 for a year that I learned all the skills I've been harping on.

I know that I and others probably sound like a broken record but assume good intent in everything I say. I'm just trying to help people avoid the same mistakes I made. My goal was to become a good street rider and to be able to comfortable hopping on any bike. Starting on the FZ6 didn't do that for me, but a little 250 did. I'm not saying get a 250 either, but mos. def. something closer to a starter bike.

It's all about your motivation. I wanted to be better at backroad riding (and eventually track riding) and the small bike did that for me. If you're more just looking for Sunday cruises, by easing into the FZ1 you can get comfortable with that kind of riding and focus more on staying safe from road hazards.

If anyone is morbidly curious, I actually found that I have old video from my first tests running cameras, before I learned to ride on the 250. It's embarrassing how bad I was.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Feb 22, 2013

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Xovaan posted:

Around here it costs $1100 + utilities for a (dumpy) studio with no garage. :geno:

I know people who pay that monthly just for parking here.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Thanks for the replies, people. I'm in western PA if it matters.

RE: Carbs, I've tried to ride to work every day it goes above 50F here so having something that starts easier in the cold (20-30F) is important to me. The bike starts and runs perfectly above 40 but I have a feeling that no amount of tuning will help at 20.

I'm not opposed to an I4, or more power. I'm just... a little skittish, I guess. I've only ever ridden my Ninjette and the full-sized bikes just seem huge. I know it doesn't matter as much at road speeds but it's just a point of concern for me. As an aside, I feel like I'm still awful at low-speed maneuvering and I really need to improve that since it'll be more important with heavier/taller bikes.

The $5k limit may not be a hard limit. It'll depend on how my finances are looking when I go to buy, how much my new car ends up costing, and whether I decide to sell my 250. Also to consider is whether I'm going to pay for a professional tune before I sell the 250 or just give the disclaimer that it hates cold weather. Most riders around here are pussies who refuse to ride under 50F anyway so that might not be an issue. :smug:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

So following my questions earlier, there were a few makes and models thrown out that I should look for, but I haven't been able to find many in my area. This listing just popped up today and got me excited:

http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/mcy/3605395372.html

But as I said before, I know very little about anything to do with motorcycles (if you didn't see my earlier post: I rode dirt bikes and ATVs when I was younger and am currently signed up to take BRT next month). I can't find poo poo on this model through Google, so I guess I am asking: (1) is it a good bike, period? And if so, (2) is it a good bike for a beginner? It seems like it may be a bit large as far as displacement is concerned for a beginning rider, but is that really that big of a deal or is it more about horsepower? Or something else entirely?

(Lastly, if the answers to the above questions are in the affirmative, the buyer appears to be asking for about 133% of its estimated KBB value; is there anything in the listing validating that asking price?)

New supposedly made around 80hp and it's probably pretty heavy. I believe these were the bikes known for having cam oiling issues. The bike is probably too powerful for a beginner (who knows how much power it's making 30 years later though). When someone on CL says rough around the edges I'd assume it's probably a huge pile of poo poo. Your concern really is horsepower primarily - but a heavy bike will also be tougher to handle as a beginner. KBB doesn't mean poo poo for bikes I've found. I'd encourage you to keep shopping.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
That VF has a lot of miles on it, too. Only way I'd buy one that used is if it was in pristine shape. Rough around the edges + 50k = not far off from a parts donor.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

nsaP posted:

Hahahahhahahahahahaha

This is true...I'd equate a learning on a 600SS to learning how to drive in a Turbo Elise. A 1000SS? Not too sure. A Corvette ZL-1 seems too weak but some supercars seem like too much.

That FZ1? Big power, long, and a meh suspension? Your first bike is an old Mustang Cobra, HotCanadianChick.

Fitting, since my first car was an old V8 Camaro :v:

quote:

If you're more just looking for Sunday cruises, by easing into the FZ1 you can get comfortable with that kind of riding and focus more on staying safe from road hazards.

Yeah, this is definitely the case, I'm mainly planning to commute and take long scenic rides on my bike - I have absolutely no interest in going fast, racing, or tracking on a bike (I love autocrossing and tracking in a car but for some reason racing and going balls out on a bike has never appealed to me in the slightest. My ideal bike in the end would probably be a big comfy BMW touring bike to putter down the PCH on, but those run about double what this FZ1 is gonna cost me around here people want 5 figures for even 6 year old K1200s with 25k on the odo, which is more than I paid for my BMW car. It's ridiculous.

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

HotCanadianChick posted:

Fitting, since my first car was an old V8 Camaro :v:

Yeah, this is definitely the case, I'm mainly planning to commute and take long scenic rides on my bike - I have absolutely no interest in going fast, racing, or tracking on a bike

Psst, you will.

quote:

(I love autocrossing and tracking in a car but for some reason racing and going balls out on a bike has never appealed to me in the slightest. My ideal bike in the end would probably be a big comfy BMW touring bike to putter down the PCH on, but those run about double what this FZ1 is gonna cost me around here people want 5 figures for even 6 year old K1200s with 25k on the odo, which is more than I paid for my BMW car. It's ridiculous.

So, speaking as someone who tracks/races things with 4 wheels and bought the medium sized BMW sport tourer with the same mentality of "I already have a track toy, the bike will be fun on the street". Yea, I've got leathers, I'm scrounging the WERA & AFJ boards for a ratted out 250 or SV650. The concept of "ooh, weekday track days" is tempting. Buddy at the dealership constantly sending me deals on S1000rr's also isn't helping.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--

Sagebrush posted:

2003- models of the SV650 are EFI, and that's like the most popular CA-hivemind-approved bike there is.

Also "I didn't want to work on carbs" is a stupid reason to get a bike with three times the horsepower you should be starting out with, especially considering that motorcycle carbs are much more straightforward than the automobile carbs you're probably thinking of.

I was afraid of carbs (something I didn't know or understand), but I still bought a Ninja 250 and never regretted it. I never had to touch them and if I did, it wouldn't be anything more than a cleaning or adjustment. No Voodoo there.

Gatla
Apr 29, 2004
Blah blah blah.
I'm looking into getting my first motorcycle. I just got my license in September and I was able to get some riding on my buddies SV650. The motorcycle felt like a good fit for me so I've been looking into getting one and I may have found one that I want to buy. I want to know if this is a good deal or if I should try to get him to go lower on the price. I asked if he would lower the price if he didn't include the helmet/jacket and he said he would part with it for $3300.
Here is the listing:

2005 SV 650
Bike was originally set up as a track bike and thus still has some items safety wired.
Has some weight shed professionally by previous owner in Wisconsin.
Mileage 18K

Extras on the bike:
Leo Vince exhaust
K&N air filter
2009 ZX10 rear shock
Front Maier racing springs
New speed kit sprockets and chain (around 1,000 miles on them)
New tires ( >1,000 miles on them)
Integrated rear taillight and turn signals
Fender eliminator
Rear tire hugger
Frame sliders
New iridium spark plugs ( > 1,000 miles ago)
Radiator flushed ( > 1,000 miles ago)

Will also include:
Large Black Helmet
Large Shift Textile Jacket
Rear Bike Stand

$3500

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

ThatCguy posted:

Psst, you will.

So, speaking as someone who tracks/races things with 4 wheels and bought the medium sized BMW sport tourer with the same mentality of "I already have a track toy, the bike will be fun on the street". Yea, I've got leathers, I'm scrounging the WERA & AFJ boards for a ratted out 250 or SV650. The concept of "ooh, weekday track days" is tempting. Buddy at the dealership constantly sending me deals on S1000rr's also isn't helping.

Nah, not everyone is interested in tracking and racing. I'm not. Partly because my experience in racing (go-karting with mates) has revealed that I'm slow as poo poo. I'd rather ride on the street, whether commuting or touring just running errands. On the street you can control your pace and go as fast or as slow as you like, unlike the track where if you don't feel like attacking every corner and improving your laptimes every outing, why even bother?

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Around DC I mostly see yuppie bikes of rather recent vintage and pristine condition: BMW sport tourers, some nicer models of the Big 4 sports bikes, shiny Harleys, Bonnevilles, etc. But occasionally I see some grungy little Japanese road bikes like I used to see all the time in Austin: old UMJs like the CB series and the like.

This one I passed on the street caught my eye, and it seemed to be a good size for a short person like me. Can anyone ID the model of this Yamaha?

Is it an XJR?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Feb 26, 2013

GanjamonII
Mar 24, 2001

Linedance posted:

Nah, not everyone is interested in tracking and racing. I'm not. Partly because my experience in racing (go-karting with mates) has revealed that I'm slow as poo poo. I'd rather ride on the street, whether commuting or touring just running errands. On the street you can control your pace and go as fast or as slow as you like, unlike the track where if you don't feel like attacking every corner and improving your laptimes every outing, why even bother?

Not to derail but lots of people (myself included) go out on the track just to have a good time and learn some new skills rather than try set a new personal best every time. Sure I usually do a session or two later in each day to push myself a little faster, but most of the day is spent at a reasonably comfortable pace where I am working on skills like braking, throttle control, line choice, body positioning or any number of things. You can ride as fast as you want or as slow as you want too. Noone's going to kick you out of novice unless you have a serious lack of bike control skill. And they're also not going to kick you out for going too fast or give you a speeding ticket, though the instructor may ask you to slow down if you're unsafe, or bump you up a class if you're really moving.

What I've learned on the track has helped me out immensely for street riding - and not just for riding faster. Unexpected double radius blind turn? No problem I know I can lean the bike more before the pegs hit the deck. Douchebag cuts me off or pulls out without looking? I know I can brake harder because I've done it numerous times (and the back wheel is still on the ground...).

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I agree and I really wish I had enough money to do some track days for that very reason. I feel track days are more about learning the potential and limitations of your bike than trying to be some kind of pro racer.

High Protein
Jul 12, 2009

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Around DC I mostly see yuppie bikes of rather recent vintage and pristine condition: BMW sport tourers, some nicer models of the Big 4 sports bikes, shiny Harleys, Bonnevilles, etc. But occasionally I see some grungy little Japanese road bikes like I used to see all the time in Austin: old UMJs like the CB series and the like.

This one I passed on the street caught my eye, and it seemed to be a good size for a short person like me. Can anyone ID the model of this Yamaha?

Is it an XJR?

Yamaha Radian.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3641392556.html

Good deal? Friend needs a bike desperately ASAP and not much is popping up in the San Diego area. I figure something like this he can keep for a long time too.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Knock him down to a grand and it's an OK deal as long as it's not burning copious amounts of oil, the doohickey has been done. It's getting terrible gas mileage, so I'd want to figure that out as well.

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012
How are you supposed to determine what a fair, reasonable price for a bike is? Someone earlier suggested KBB sucks for bikes and there is a huge variance just trying to look at similar listings.

I have a tremendous hard-on for this Ninja (I have largely settled on a Ninja 250 as my first bike):

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/3659521009.html

But that price seems pretty high, about $900 over KBB and higher than most other Ninja 250s in the area; however, it does have fairly low miles, a unique paint scheme, and a ~$100 windshield added on. Assuming it has a clean title and has never been in an accident, what is a reasonable price to offer?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Like $100 under KBB value because $3400 for a Ninaj 250 is about $1000 too much.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
I was just browsing used bikes and spotted this on a BMW 650.

What kinda damages is that, salt or something else?

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Just looks like surface corrosion that's gotten under the paint/powder coating.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

How are you supposed to determine what a fair, reasonable price for a bike is? Someone earlier suggested KBB sucks for bikes and there is a huge variance just trying to look at similar listings.

I have a tremendous hard-on for this Ninja (I have largely settled on a Ninja 250 as my first bike):

But that price seems pretty high, about $900 over KBB and higher than most other Ninja 250s in the area; however, it does have fairly low miles, a unique paint scheme, and a ~$100 windshield added on. Assuming it has a clean title and has never been in an accident, what is a reasonable price to offer?

'Unique paint scheme', especially something plain with no logos or decals, is usually an indication the bike was put down and all the plastics needed replacing. This is not a value add.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something

MarquisDeCarabas posted:

Hey fellow Portland cycle goon. You should ride this summer with me and 4/20 (the forums user, not the drug). Also if you want someone to come check out a bike with you to let you know whether it's a piece of crap, send me an email at haydendotsa@gmail.com. I've owned two Ninja 250s in the past so I'm fairly familiar with them.

I agree with the other guy that I wouldn't pay over $2500 for a new gen Ninja 250. For like $3k you can probably find an SV650. Just throwing that out there since it's a lot more bike (and not in just speed) for your money at that price point.

Here's one with new tires and hard bags which could be haggled down to $3100 probably:

hayden. fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Mar 8, 2013

FileNotFound
Jul 17, 2005

That SV is a pretty good deal...if you're set on a 250 why not this:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/3655413933.html

MarquisDeCarabas
Jun 16, 2012

hayden. posted:

Hey fellow Portland cycle goon. You should ride this summer with me and 4/20 (the forums user, not the drug). Also if you want someone to come check out a bike with you to let you know whether it's a piece of crap, send me an email at haydendotsa@gmail.com. I've owned two Ninja 250s in the past so I'm fairly familiar with them.

I agree with the other guy that I wouldn't pay over $2500 for a new gen Ninja 250. For like $3k you can probably find an SV650. Just throwing that out there since it's a lot more bike (and not in just speed) for your money at that price point.

Here's one with new tires and hard bags which could be haggled down to $3100 probably:

Yesss. I wouldn't call me a cycle goon yet as I haven't even taken the BRT, but I am signed to take it at the end of the month and fully anticipate getting a bike very shortly thereafter. If you two don't mind a newbie tagging along, I'd love to go riding with some folks that know what they are doing! And I would greatly, greatly appreciate someone with knowledge coming with me when it comes time to shop, thank you for the kind offer! I will be sure to bother you when the time gets closer :)

FileNotFound posted:

That SV is a pretty good deal...if you're set on a 250 why not this:
http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/3655413933.html

Heh, that one is on my watchlist, along with five or six other Ninjas in the area, and some KLR650s, and a V-Strom, and a couple of CBR250s, and on and on and on because I have eyes for seemingly everything (within reason for a newbie and my price range of < $4,000).

I was asking for some more general guidance regarding the other one, really, i.e. how can I determine the fair value of a bike without having to ask others every single time what was a good deal, as well as if anyone saw something that set that one apart as I thought it was overpriced but didn't know enough to be certain.

hayden.
Sep 11, 2007

here's a goat on a pig or something
The problem with looking this far in advance at bikes is that the good deals are gone within a couple days, and the great deals are gone same day. I would suggest finishing the riding course and then checking craigslist every morning and every evening. As soon as you see a good deal, call (don't email) immediately and say you have cash in hand and want to come buy the bike. Negotiate on price when you get there.

Go to the Ninja250 forums and check craigslist a lot and you'll get a sense of what bikes are worth. For the most part, you can say that a new gen 250 without anything more than a couple small scratches and around 1k to 5k miles are all going to be worth pretty much the same. The 5k is probably a couple hundred dollars less than the 1k just because the tires most likely need replacing unless the PO has already done it. Most of them fit these conditions so it won't be hard to find one.

edit: I wouldn't recommend a KLR650 or VStrom as a first bike. The VStrom is a pretty big bike, and they're both pretty high off the ground which isn't very confidence inspiring.

hayden. fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Mar 8, 2013

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
My next bike is likely to be a Speed Street Triple R.

What do you think of this one?

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcy/3629704696.html (see edit 2 below)

It has a lot of extras and only 1500 miles. The 2012 that is still at the dealer is 8k before taxes etc.

I'm not set on it but this one caught my eye. I emailed seller asking for the bike's story and who did the exhaust. The 2012 has under seat exhaust so the fact it was completely redone is a big ? for me.

My last bike was my biggest person to person purchase. Spending that kind of money with some guy off the street weirds me out.

EDIT: Ha, the same bike I looked at with dealer is also on CL: http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/mcd/3666246860.html

EDIT 2: Looks like that first ad may not be legit. Its says that it's an R but the trellis isn't red and there is no pinstriping on the wheels. Plus, two different bug screens are shown so maybe those pics aren't even of the bike that's for sale.

Stugazi fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 10, 2013

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008

Stugazi posted:

My next bike is likely to be a Speed Triple R.

Both of the bikes you linked were Street Triples, not Speeds. Just saying.

E: not sure where a lowboy on a Street came from

Snowdens Secret fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Mar 10, 2013

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I've seen the lowboy done at the dealer before, the Arrow lowboy is pretty much Triumph's go-to aftermarket exhaust. I would try to talk him down but 8 isn't bad for a bike that's barely past break in that costs like 11-12 OTD

Stugazi
Mar 1, 2004

Who me, Bitter?
I am trading emails with the guy selling the red 2012 and asked to set a time so I can see it in person. What do you guys look for when buying a bike off Craigslist besides this checklist? http://www.clarity.net/adam/buying-bike.html

I've been on a Honda CBR250R for 7 months. I'm ready to upgrade.

I don't know a lot about the Triumphs other than they get great reviews and I liked sitting on them compared to the competition. I'd love to hear about anyone's experiences and if there is anything about the 2012 I should be sure to check.

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I figured this bike would come up a lot but I searched a few pages back and didn't find anything: Does anyone here have experience with the suzuki s40? I love the look of smaller cruisers and want to try something with a cruiser riding position (my first and only bike is a ninja 250).

Opinions about their highway viability seem to depend on the rider, I've seen people complain that they feel "out of breath" at 65, but you never know what that means considering america's love of giant motorcycles... The listed top speed is in the high 80s, does it feel composed at 70? I guess this is a bit of a stretch but has anyone tried the sportster muffler swap (apparently its basically a direct bolt on)?

ThatCguy
Jan 19, 2008

ADINSX posted:

I figured this bike would come up a lot but I searched a few pages back and didn't find anything: Does anyone here have experience with the suzuki s40? I love the look of smaller cruisers and want to try something with a cruiser riding position (my first and only bike is a ninja 250).

Opinions about their highway viability seem to depend on the rider, I've seen people complain that they feel "out of breath" at 65, but you never know what that means considering america's love of giant motorcycles... The listed top speed is in the high 80s, does it feel composed at 70? I guess this is a bit of a stretch but has anyone tried the sportster muffler swap (apparently its basically a direct bolt on)?

It looks, feels and rides like an old bike. That's because it's basically been unchanged (save for a switch from 4 speeds to five a few years ago) since 1986. It's lightweight, narrow and short and makes like 27 hp. Basically, it's a higher budget version of CCW's heist. It's got low end torque, but I think I remember the redline being something like ~6k. So, yea, it's not exactly a highway tourer. It's got mid 80's japanese bike ergos, so take that as you will.

That being said, finding an el cheapo one and tossing one of the Ryca kits on it looks fun.

http://www.rycamotors.com/bikes/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

ThatCguy posted:

It looks, feels and rides like an old bike. That's because it's basically been unchanged (save for a switch from 4 speeds to five a few years ago) since 1986. It's lightweight, narrow and short and makes like 27 hp. Basically, it's a higher budget version of CCW's heist. It's got low end torque, but I think I remember the redline being something like ~6k. So, yea, it's not exactly a highway tourer. It's got mid 80's japanese bike ergos, so take that as you will.

That being said, finding an el cheapo one and tossing one of the Ryca kits on it looks fun.

http://www.rycamotors.com/bikes/

yeah the ryca motors kits is what sort of turned me on to the s40's existence, though I know I'd never have the patience to try one (if I did i think the tracker is my favorite). And I suppose a bike straight out the 80s would be appropriate since I have a 2005 ninja 250. I'd actually look for an s40 with a carburetor (maybe all of the model years have carbs?) because if I'm ever going to enjoy tuning a carburetor its going to be on a bike with a single cylinder.

I know its not built for extended highway use but unfortunately I live around a lot of highways. I feel that the ninja 250 is "composed" at 70 (especially with the 15 tooth front sprocket I recently installed), is the s40 more or less "composed" at 70 is what I'm asking.