Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

That io9 poo poo is egregious. I agree we need some sort of search optimization, the dirtier the betterrrr.

e: every one of those clever commenters needs to buy our book instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The whole of GRRMdom needs to quit trying to make GRRM jokes and buy our book.

We are literally pro stand up comics and they're the creepy guy by the water cooler at work.

Leave the jokes to us, and buy our terrible book.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

SpaceMost posted:

Well, he is a secret Muslim.

You called?

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Someone was talking hated female characters in the Walking Dead TVIV thread. Catelyn Stark's name was thrown in unironically.

They should have a crossover special with all the undead ASoI&F characters show up to do battle with the Ricktatorship. Some Others can be on board as well, as they have little else to do.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Whenever they kill off the Governor, David Morrisey can just go back to England and get cast in GoT, then we'll get the best of both worlds.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

He'd make a rather dashing Belwas.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Fog Tripper posted:

Someone was talking hated female characters in the Walking Dead TVIV thread. Catelyn Stark's name was thrown in unironically.

Explains why it's now closed.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
Closing what you're reading when you see Catelyn Stark's name: Not just for books anymore!

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

IRQ posted:

Explains why it's now closed.

Bitch spoils everything.

Bulletproof Tiger
Nov 2, 2010
You know, Cat is one of the few characters in ASoIaF that I've actually grown to like more over time. Sure, she makes a bunch of dumb decisions, but at least her dumb decisions cause interesting stuff to happen, unlike the dumb decisions of most of the other characters in this shitheap. Like, she lets Jaime free for dumb reasons, but then Jaime becomes the best loving character in the series. And Michelle Fairley does such a good job with her in the TV show, I know i shouldn't let that influence my feelings, but I just can't find it in myself to hate her anymore. Maybe it's just the 8 loving years since i started reading this bullshit, but I think there are so many much worse characters than Cat.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I've warmed up to Cat as time goes on. She means well, and she makes the best choice in her circumstances with the information she has. She has no way of knowing the fallout of her choices, and while her choices inevitably lead to bad times, I find it really hard to say much of those things are exactly her fault.

She's a human character, which is nice. She could have used some more wins, but GRRM hates women so Cat got what Cat got.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Would this be a good time to mention that I really don't care for Arya for the same reason I dislike Alyx Vance from Half-Life? That is to say I don't actively hate either, but I can't look at them as people either--they're engineered constructs for the story in a glaring way.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

mind the walrus posted:

Would this be a good time to mention that I really don't care for Arya for the same reason I dislike Alyx Vance from Half-Life? That is to say I don't actively hate either, but I can't look at them as people either--they're engineered constructs for the story in a glaring way.

No, this really isn't a good time.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Fog Tripper posted:

They should have a crossover special with all the undead ASoI&F characters show up to do battle with the Ricktatorship. Some Others can be on board as well, as they have little else to do.

I don't understand how anyone can hate Catelyn from just the TV show. TV Cat is so sympathetic and likable.

Also, it's sad to say that Carl ended up being so much more badass than TV Arya.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
What kind of a world do we live in where Catelyn is great on TV, but Andrea is awful?

Also, Roz is terrible by bringing extra sex, but Norman Reedus owns for bringing extra violence.

Also, I don't hate Cersei at all.

:tviv:

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

savinhill posted:

I don't understand how anyone can hate Catelyn from just the TV show. TV Cat is so sympathetic and likable.

Also, it's sad to say that Carl ended up being so much more badass than TV Arya.

I agree.

Except for one thing.

Every time I see Kit Harington with his mouth wide open play Jon Snow I cringe, waiting for a Butthead-like joke to spew forth from his mouth.

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot

mind the walrus posted:

I see where you are going. I'd agree with you for Alyx completely but I would quibble Arya and, right now, I couldn't properly express why. Gimme a day or two to ponder my disagreement.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

mind the walrus posted:

I completely agree with this. Arya's not quite on the level of Ramsay yet in this sense, but she's getting there. They do come across as artificial constructs more than actual people (and in Ramsay's case it's not because of him not getting any POV chapters either, because someone like Stannis doesn't either and yet is still a round character and fully human).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

They're one-dimensional. If you can describe your character in one word, that hits the definition. Arya: Bad-rear end. Ramsay: Psycho. And there is a place for one-dimensional characters, but you don't have them be the center or focus for anything. I got really bored reading about the salacious adventures of Ramsay in the later books.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Arya has cool moments, but she's less a character than she is a platform for cool moments. I have no idea why she does the things she does, and she doesn't exactly have her own agency since she spends a lot of time being dragged around by people. She's kind of Sansa-y that way, but Sansa never killed a stableboy or threw boiling soup at people.

Thulsa Doom
Jun 20, 2011

Ezekiel 23:20
They're both GRRRM's creepy fetish objects.

The truth is he actually is writing, but the chapter where Arya is trained to be a courtesan assassin is currently eighteen thousand pages long and shows no signs of slowing.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
Darkstar - badass
Daario - badass
Belwas - badass
Gregor - giant zombie badass
Barristan - old badass
Victarion - viking badass
Blackfish - gay badass
Beric - dead guy badass
Oberyn - bisexual badass
Dolorous Edd - gay eeyore

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Dolorous Edd - prince that was promised

Get it right, scumball. :colbert:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

bigmcgaffney posted:

Dolorous Edd - gay eeyore

Dolourous Edd is the best gay Eeyore. :allears:

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

It weirds me out how Dolorous Edd in the show looks like Ben Foster from the Punisher.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

rejutka posted:

I would quibble Arya

Ew.

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009

A GLISTENING HODOR posted:

Dolorous Edd - prince that was promised

Get it right, scumball. :colbert:

You mean prince that was promised a punishing load of ejac in 2013's hot new hit A Clash of Cocks, sequel to 2012's A Game of Bones by sexy new author TB Thread (coming to Showtime next fall)?

Because let me tell you, Edd's long face and thick ropey loads of jism complement each other nicely, from an artistic viewpoint.

bigmcgaffney fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Mar 10, 2013

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
You're thinking of Depressing Dave, the wholly original and non-copyright-infringing character from the soon to be bestseller A Clash of Kinks.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

bigmcgaffney posted:

You mean prince that was promised a punishing load of ejac in 2013's hot new hit A Clash of Cocks, sequel to 2012's A Game of Bones by sexy new author TB Thread (coming to Showtime next fall)?

Because let me tell you, Edd's long face and thick ropey loads of jism complement each other nicely, from an artistic viewpoint.

So if people ask, does T. B. Thread have a full name proper? Like, Theodore Badman Thread, shortened to The Bad Thread by his friends?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Thelonius Badicher Thread.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Theomantic Badger Threaddington. Yes.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.
Tuberculosis Thread.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Tee Bone Thread, Esquire.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Hey, maybe we should just call you T-Bone!

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Nonono. The way to make a proper GRRM name is to take a real name and change one letter.

Bardolomeus Theodorr AKA Bard Thed.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Bulletproof Tiger posted:

Like, she lets Jaime free for dumb reasons, but then Jaime becomes the best loving character in the series.

Haha, the best mind-gently caress thing about people hating Cat is that:

1) Their primary reason for hating her is that she freed Jaime
1a) Jaime becomes the best character in the series
2) Their secondary reason for hating her is that she sets a trap to kill Jaime

It's the same guy!

Cat rules. She is mean as gently caress to emo Jon Snow. She claws her own face to pieces when her children die. She has an awesome Uncle who she respects while openly showing disdain for her dumbshit brother. She is the only one brave enough to try to gently caress up the Lannisters after they mess with her family (how could she know she was kidnapping the best one? She can't read Tyrion's POVs, and at least she did better than her milquetoast husband). She rolls her eyes at her crazy sister every day.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

Guy A. Person posted:

1) Their primary reason for hating her is that she freed Jaime
1a) Jaime becomes the best character in the series
2) Their secondary reason for hating her is that she sets a trap to kill Jaime

People hate Cat because she's such a oval office to Jon and because she started the war by capturing Tyrion, and couldn't see the simple fact that Tyrion would never be so stupid as to use that knife in a crime. Unless you mean the people in Westeros.

Personally I like Cat, and I think people unfairly blame her for the dagger thing when Ned clearly didn't get the OBVIOUS TRAP from it either. Also, I think it was genius for RailRoad to give us our only perspectives on Renly and Robb from her point of view

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
I hate Cat slightly less than most, probably because I watched the first season and then got stuck into the books. I am used to the idea of Jon Snow being a useless mouth-breathing gently caress. Book Cat is a colossal idiot, mind.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Fine, I'll make my first loving unironic ASOIAF post in a long-rear end time: I really don't hate Cat at all and I don't get why people hate her that much. Even if she made some dumb decisions like letting Jaime go, I never hated her for it since I think literally every single character has been making nothing but stupid decisions. The only time I disliked her was when she was a complete rear end to Jon and at that time I could understand she was under a lot of stress since her kid just got horribly injured.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

I hate Cat because I hate these books.