Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Actually that's a good point. These books are terrible. Every character is the worst character ever.

Nuke this thread and everyone in it, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

We'll meet again, don't know where, don't know when,
but I know we'll sully threads some Gurmy day.

Keep grinning through, just like you as you do,
have the moon pies drive the hunger, far away.

So will you please say hello,
to my authors fellow,
say they take far too long.

I don't care if they know,
that I'm going to throw,
in the next book this song.

Arbite fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Mar 11, 2013

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
May Gurm watch over you and all your loved ones, and guide you in His eternal wisdom.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Joramun posted:

May Gurm watch over you and all your loved ones, and guide you in His eternal wisdom.

And his eternal shameful boner.

stawk Archer
Jun 19, 2004

by angerbot
I didn't hate Cat at all until Westeros turned into Zombieland.

Carly Gay Dead Son
Aug 27, 2007

Bonus.

stawk Archer posted:

I didn't hate Cat at all until Westeros turned into Zombieland.

Pretty sure there's only one major character that's currently unambiguously a zombie. For all my distaste for the way GRRM has been handling the fantasy bullshit, the zombification doesn't feel like a cop-out to me, it was introduced in a really effective way and has pretty clear ramifications and limitations. Like whatever happens to Jon in the Book That Shan't Be Released, I'm pretty sure we can kiss that gormless emo as we know him good bye.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
From the good thread:

webmeister posted:

And I've heard a lot of people say Dance is similar to ASOS in that it's a fairly slow burn during the first two-thirds, before the insanity kicks in towards the end. If that's true, I can't wait!

:allears:

I mean, I suppose it's not wrong, they just moved the last third to the next book. Again.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

I liked this earlier post better:

Cyclomatic posted:

In a fit of pure desperation for something to listen to while painting, I'd gotten an audio book of the first book. I didn't make it past the first chapter or two. Something about the reader's voice made me unable to get the image of a fat old man with a beard at a ren-fair arguing about thaco out of my head.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Arbite posted:

Keep grinning through, just like you as you do,
have the moon pies drive the hunger, far away.
So will you please say hello,
to my authors fellow,
say they take far too long.

I don't care if they know,
that I'm going to throw,
in the next book this song.

I'm just waiting for you guys to get your parts done. Then I'll announce I'll be done in two years.

Wildcard.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Urdnot Fire posted:

I liked this earlier post better:

It's "THAC0"
:goonsay:

Edit: Oh unless they meant "Taco" which is also possible.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Shoehead posted:

It's "THAC0"
:goonsay:

Edit: Oh unless they meant "Taco" which is also possible.

Pretty sure they meant THAC0.

Gurm strikes me as more of a burrito guy, anyway.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Can you even get shitdick from a burrito?

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Can you even get shitdick from a burrito?
Yes, but it involves feeding an uncooked 7/11 burrito to a pig bottom and then waiting.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

rejutka posted:

I hate Cat slightly less than most, probably because I watched the first season and then got stuck into the books. I am used to the idea of Jon Snow being a useless mouth-breathing gently caress. Book Cat is a colossal idiot, mind.

You touch on my own opinion of Jon. Loved his character in the books, and now loathe him because of the show.

Beyond Jaime, I really cannot come up with a single character I actually care about at this point (post a dance with diarrhea)

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
Davos. Plus he's going to see the Cannibal King of Skagos. I am really looking forward to that in book 10.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
No Stan the Man?

rejutka
May 28, 2004

by zen death robot
It's a redundancy; you mention one, the other should be parsed in automatically.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Contra Calculus posted:

Fine, I'll make my first loving unironic ASOIAF post in a long-rear end time: I really don't hate Cat at all and I don't get why people hate her that much. Even if she made some dumb decisions like letting Jaime go, I never hated her for it since I think literally every single character has been making nothing but stupid decisions. The only time I disliked her was when she was a complete rear end to Jon and at that time I could understand she was under a lot of stress since her kid just got horribly injured.

Cat is like Skylehr from Breaking Bad.. so much hate. Some of it deserved, but its taken on its own thing. I thought her freeing Jaime was pretty cool - and yeah she was a bitch to Jon, but gently caress it. At least it gave him something to be emo about. And cmon yall didn't like that scene in the book where she takes Tyrion captive? Sure she hosed it up, but I didn't rage about her decisions the way I rage about Cersei's decisions in FOC. Her poo poo doesn't even make sense to me. I don't know what the trope equivalent of a "strawman argument" is .. but she is the Plot incarnation of one.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

He also cooks the food of his people

kcroy posted:

I didn't rage about her decisions the way I rage about Cersei's decisions in FOC. Her poo poo doesn't even make sense to me. I don't know what the trope equivalent of a "strawman argument" is .. but she is the Plot incarnation of one.

It's easy. I swear someone even has a line about it. She's brash like Jamie, but thinks she's clever and calculating like Tyrion. But she's really not. She truly thinks she's one in her family most like Tywin, but really she wants power out of a sense of entitlement. Tywin knew power was a tool, a means to an end. She takes this blindness to 11 in FoC, but she displays it keenly as early as Clash of Kings.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
I just glanced inside the no-spoiler ASoIaF thread. What is the point of it's existence? What discussion can happen there that is not encapsulated within spoiler tags?

So very odd.

edit: I see Zombie Lincoln was orchestrating the read along with no spoilers allowed beyond where folks were read up to. Then his last post (anywhere) was back in 2011. It's kind of like he stopped posting... much like gurm stopped writing.

Fog Tripper fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Mar 14, 2013

nuncle jimbo
Apr 3, 2009

:pcgaming:

Contra Calculus posted:

Actually that's a good point. These books are terrible. Every character is the worst character ever.

Nuke this thread and everyone in it, please.
http://sophiamcdougall.com/2013/03/13/the-rape-of-james-bond/

(relevant I promise)

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

But I've yet to figure out a better way to spend my time.

The Black Watch sounds like a very different organization.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Did you write this? Are you Sophia McDougall?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

That article brings up a point I had never considered. People were squicked out by Silva coming onto Bond? I thought it was great, especially Bond's reaction to it.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

I had a problem with a lot of that article, but she does have a point about the men and boys in Game of Thrones never being the victim or even threatened with rape. The only exception I can think of is Tyrion's threat about Tommen.

e: lots of people were actually unhappy with Bond's reaction to it. BOND IS 100% CHICKS ONLY NO EXCEPTIONS

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Him having absolutely any other reaction would have made Bond way less cool. Silva's clearly trying to discomfort Bond by hinting at being into him, and Bond turns it right around with his "what makes you think it's my first time?" At which point Silva laughs, acknowledging his tactic's failure, and tries something different. Silva coming across as gay for Bond never appears again.

Even if you read it as Bond is admitting to actually having sex with men, that's still cool. Bond will do anything for a mission, or he's bisexual. No matter how you cut it, his reaction as written is the only one he could have had.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rape wallpaper.

:catstare:

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

IRQ posted:

Rape wallpaper.

:catstare:

I laughed at that. It's a good point, though. GRRM's use of the concept trivializes it. We all knew that, it's just now we have a hilarious phrase to express it.

Azure_Horizon
Mar 27, 2010

by Reene

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

That article brings up a point I had never considered. People were squicked out by Silva coming onto Bond? I thought it was great, especially Bond's reaction to it.

Yeah, Bond's reaction was perfect for that scene. The fact that the character has to be perpetually heterosexual is baffling. There's nothing saying he can't ever be bisexual.

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

rypakal posted:

I had a problem with a lot of that article, but she does have a point about the men and boys in Game of Thrones never being the victim or even threatened with rape. The only exception I can think of is Tyrion's threat about Tommen.

Male rape/sexual abuse

Maester Kerwin on Victarion's Ship

Male Sex Workers and Sex Slaves

The threat of Rape to Arya when Biter and Rorge thought she was a young boy.

Lyn Corbray with his ''boys''

The possible sexual abuse of Aeron by Euron.

The possible sexual abuse of Tomnen by Joffrey.
Septon Utt is a paedophile who prefers young boys.
Theon/Reek

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/82803-the-use-of-rape-in-asoiaf-the-critics-speak/page__st__40#entry4211319

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

There's a few more:

Dany raped Drogo after MMD's ritual left him in a coma.

Technically, Tywin raped Tyrion by forcing him to participate in Tysha's rape.

Both events take place or are alluded to in AGOT and ACOK. If the author of the article had truly read the first book and half the second she would know this.

In It For The Tank fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Mar 15, 2013

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Clearly, none of those are in the show, and the show is the only thing that matters.

I thought I would be above it, but now whenever I encounter any part of the show fandom, it just ticks that little rageometer a bit higher. I could be a better man and not give in, but ffffffuck the people that didn't put in their time in the book/waiting mines.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

SaviourX posted:

Clearly, none of those are in the show, and the show is the only thing that matters.

I thought I would be above it, but now whenever I encounter any part of the show fandom, it just ticks that little rageometer a bit higher. I could be a better man and not give in, but ffffffuck the people that didn't put in their time in the book/waiting mines.

I've read the books, but I didn't until I heard about the TV show (because I had never heard of the series before that).

I did my time in the Dark Tower. You know nothing of waiting.

I got to thinking, have any PoV characters been raped? If Martin wants to make the rape wallpaper *sparkle* he should do that next, if he hasn't.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

In It For The Tank posted:

There's a few more:

Dany raped Drogo after MMD's ritual left him in a coma.

Technically, Tywin raped Tyrion by forcing him to participate in Tysha's rape.

Both events take place or are alluded to in AGOT and ACOK. If the author of the article had truly read the first book and half the second she would know this.

Dany was an underaged rape victim who essentially developed Stockholme Syndrome for her rapist, its not like Drogo was the innocent victim in that rape.

Same thing with Tyrion's. He was a victim, the bigger victim was the girl who got gang raped in the same scene.

Even Theon's sexual abuse is mostly implied, and the stuff on screen happens at the expense of another woman who is flat out kidnapped and raped.

The point is, there is measurable statistics for male on male rape in our enlightened society. The excuse for this series when rape comes up is usually "well it is an awful time period where this poo poo actually happened", and yet even in instances where you would think there would be tons of male rapes (in armies isolated from women, in prisons and dungeons, on the freakin' Wall where the Night Watch is forbidden to have women and most of the dudes are basically prisoners), it usually stops short at just threats or implications.

I'm not arguing that there aren't some instances, but even the examples being brought up our typically accompanied by a female victim who has it worse (except in Theon's case where he probably was also mutilated).

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

rypakal posted:

I got to thinking, have any PoV characters been raped? If Martin wants to make the rape wallpaper *sparkle* he should do that next, if he hasn't.
Aeron Greyjoy.

In It For The Tank
Feb 17, 2011

Dany (by Drogo), Cersei (by Robert) and Tyrion (by Tywin) have all been raped.

Asha too. Maybe. Depending on how you view the rape-play she had with Qarl the Maid.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Joramun posted:

Aeron Greyjoy.

Again, like most of the examples above, not something that actually is shown in the books and is only maybe implied. Not anything like the continues "on-screen" rapes of women. Maester Kerwin is the only real example I think applies to the discussion, at least from that above list.

At some point around book 4 I wanted to be angry that the only consensual male/male activity we got was Loras/Renley, and that was practically 4th-hand knowledge. But then I realized that there aren't precisely that many male/female sexual acts that are truly consensual in the series. Is it weird that the first sex act we get in the series is by a married couple who are actually in love with each other, and that then sex is nearly always about power for the rest of the series.

Guy A. Person posted:

The point is, there is measurable statistics for male on male rape in our enlightened society. The excuse for this series when rape comes up is usually "well it is an awful time period where this poo poo actually happened", and yet even in instances where you would think there would be tons of male rapes (in armies isolated from women, in prisons and dungeons, on the freakin' Wall where the Night Watch is forbidden to have women and most of the dudes are basically prisoners), it usually stops short at just threats or implications.

Even prison rape isn't a serious problem in most parts of the world. The epidemic of it approaching the numbers for female rapes is almost entirely American.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Entertainment Weekly article confirms what we all already knew: http://io9.com/what-happens-when-em-game-of-thrones-em-runs-out-of-453871355

quote:

This is the biggest question everybody's wondering about. With George R.R. Martin toiling away on book six of A Song of Ice and Fire, what happens when the Game of Thrones TV show runs out of material to adapt? The good news: they're not going to slow down the TV show's hectic pace, or pad it out.

That's always been my biggest fear about Game of Thrones. Given the huge wealth of material in Martin's books, especially the later books, you could easily make each book into multiple seasons. Already, season three is just the first half of A Storm of Swords. I do not want to sit through three years of A Feast For Crows. In fact, I want the show to leave out some of the books' millions of subplots.

Luckily, the producers tell Entertainment Weekly that they are sensitive to this concern, and they do not want Thrones to last 10 seasons. Writes James Hibberd in EW's big cover story:

quote:

It's possible the producers, who know the broad strokes of Martin's ending for the story, might conclude the show before the last book is released. Not that anyone involved wants that to happen. "Ideally, the books come out first," Benioff says. "We don't want to become a show that outstays its welcome and tries to turn each book into three seasons. Part of what we love about these books, and this show, is this sense of momentum and building toward something. If we tried to turn this into a 10-season show we'd strangle the golden goose. There is a ticking clock here."
The EW article mentions one idea to allow the show to wait for Martin to publish his final volume, and end with a bang: turn the show's conclusion into a big-screen movie, which would have more lead time and a bigger budget. But HBO, understandably, doesn't really like that idea.

HBO'll finish the series with or without GRRM.

rypakal
Oct 31, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

Entertainment Weekly article confirms what we all already knew: http://io9.com/what-happens-when-em-game-of-thrones-em-runs-out-of-453871355

HBO'll finish the series with or without GRRM.

Yeah, I think maybe you could turn books 4 and 5 into three seasons, and change up how you tell them (since they overlap so much.) And maybe you wouldn't even need three. I live with a secret hope that everything involved with Dorne can be entirely excised from the TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

Maybe GRRM will work a multi-year skip into the next book or something, to allow the characters to catch up to the much-faster aging the actors are going through. That would be just fine.