Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Anything with a HEPA filter (not HEPA 'type', HEPA). I'd stay away from anything that claims to put ions into the air, and especially anything ozone generating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

I'll just leave this here....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_za5M1svHv8

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Touuuuuucan.

(I am allergic to nature.)

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
I am amazed by all the talking budgerigar videos on youtube. Part of me just can't believe some budgies are better talkers than most grays and amazons and I think they're faking it. Then I remember the little birdie language my old budgie and I made up together and spoke to each other in and how it sounded just like these budgies' voices and I just :3: and then miss my fat Shakespeare like crazy.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

:wtc: Steve is eating Ohtori's pellets. They're Nutribird tropical, so generally at least 1cm long, though there are different shapes and sizes. Each is bigger than his beak anyway. I had no idea he even had the strength to break them. He's never tried them before, I've never offered because of the size/hardness, I had no idea he even recognised them as a food-there's some in one of the bowls on their stand, and apparently it just clicked in his little birdy head. Pellet shrapnel went everywhere.

I wonder if I break them up and put them in his seed bowl, would he eventually convert to eating those instead of seed?

Edit: This is one of Steve's recently dropped feathers. It's hard to see, but the feather has lots of lines over it. Do the lines look like stress bars, or natural colouring?

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Mar 22, 2013

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

:wtc: Steve is eating Ohtori's pellets. They're Nutribird tropical, so generally at least 1cm long, though there are different shapes and sizes. Each is bigger than his beak anyway. I had no idea he even had the strength to break them. He's never tried them before, I've never offered because of the size/hardness, I had no idea he even recognised them as a food-there's some in one of the bowls on their stand, and apparently it just clicked in his little birdy head. Pellet shrapnel went everywhere.

I wonder if I break them up and put them in his seed bowl, would he eventually convert to eating those instead of seed?

Edit: This is one of Steve's recently dropped feathers. It's hard to see, but the feather has lots of lines over it. Do the lines look like stress bars, or natural colouring?

No, those aren't stress bars. Stress bars or stress lines are very distinct breaks in the barb, generally they look like fault lines. I'm not quite sure what causes the bars of varying transparency, but my 'too sometimes has feathers like that as well. It's not a big deal, it's possible that it just grew a little funny or something, but that looks like a pretty normal feather from a member of Cacatuidae to me.

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.
Linnie quarantine is over and parakeet playtime has begun! The budgies absolutely adore him.

I am so totally in love with linnies, Silly is just so laid back in all the right ways. He gets scared pretty easily when new sounds or toys are introduced, but his curiosity overrides everything else pretty fast. He's also still scared of hands, but we're making progress. Now he just backs away and looks to see if you're holding something tasty instead of flying into full panic mode.

As far as we have pieced together, he was bought around Christmas by his past owner for her 2 year old son, and then had a couple months locked in a cage and likely frequently grabbed (his past owner rather than letting us look at him in the cage grabbed him and held him tightly to show "how tame he is!" We took him home figuring even if he wasn't a good fit for us getting him out of there was important and we could figure it out.

Silly's last owner said he's 5 years old, and it became pretty clear after taking him home he'd never been in a decent sized cage or allowed out to free fly before. He's already gotten to be a pretty decent flier, he is doing laps of the living room with the budgies this morning, he's not keeping up, but he's in there! He still doesn't really 'get' toys, but I'm hoping he'll pick up how to play from hanging out with other birds.

My husband has become a bit of a parrot rights advocate after getting Silly. He's only been exposed to happy parrots who are adored and doted upon, he gets really mad when he thinks about Silly sitting ignored in a cage or worse for 5 years, and can't handle thinking of it happening to the super smart bigger birds. Sorry for the sudden essay, but Silly's the first 'rescue' bird I've had and it's blowing my mind to see first hand how someone can go out and get a parrot just to ignore it.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Jinxie Monroe posted:

his past owner rather than letting us look at him in the cage grabbed him and held him tightly to show "how tame he is!"

:catstare: This is so not okay. No wonder he's scared of hands.

Sweet CupnCakes
Feb 13, 2007

Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives.

Is this real? I didn't know budgies could talk like that. I always hear them in the bin-o-budgies at the pet store sounding like little squeaky things. Is this a fluke or something most budgies do?

"Bust a move!"

Jinxie Monroe
Apr 9, 2007

No really.
Thank you.

Pile of Kittens posted:

:catstare: This is so not okay. No wonder he's scared of hands.

No kidding. Our faces when she went for the grab: :stonk:

It was pretty sketchy in general, she had us come by a 9pm and met us outside her house. Poor bird was in a tiny travel cage slightly bigger than he was on the floor of the front entry, so we didn't even get to see his actual setup. When asked what he eats, she told us "he likes millet"... a bird likes millet? No poo poo! Luckily he actually loves all sorts of food and had no issue eating pellets right away. Apparently he was 'tame' because he didn't bite her when she did her horrible little grab demonstration.

I try not to judge too much since I saw nothing of how he was kept, and she at least had the sense to let someone else have him when she couldn't take care of him... but it makes me mad when I compare the awesome little dude who's already come out of his shell so much to the scared little guy who came home with us. She also had a bunch of parrotlets, lovebirds and budgies she was unloading, but we really didn't have the space, money or time to take in more than the one bird. I hope they found good homes.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Eejit posted:

No, those aren't stress bars. Stress bars or stress lines are very distinct breaks in the barb, generally they look like fault lines. I'm not quite sure what causes the bars of varying transparency, but my 'too sometimes has feathers like that as well. It's not a big deal, it's possible that it just grew a little funny or something, but that looks like a pretty normal feather from a member of Cacatuidae to me.

I've seen a stress bar in Ohtori once, and Steve used to have some, but since he's a lutino I didn't know if that would affect how they would show up-as in, if they're only black broken lines, or if they could be faint like this too. If it's normal, then awesome. Hopefully that's the case-I worry a bit about his diet, since he still primarily eats seeds, though he's gotten a lot better about eating other things since we first had him.

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

Is this real? I didn't know budgies could talk like that. I always hear them in the bin-o-budgies at the pet store sounding like little squeaky things. Is this a fluke or something most budgies do?

"Bust a move!"

Budgies are fantastic little talkers, and it's currently a budgie that holds the record for largest vocabulary of a talking bird as well at 1,728 words. http://naturesscrapbook.blogspot.com/2012/02/bird-with-largest-vocabulary-in-world.html

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Battle Pigeon posted:

I've seen a stress bar in Ohtori once, and Steve used to have some, but since he's a lutino I didn't know if that would affect how they would show up-as in, if they're only black broken lines, or if they could be faint like this too. If it's normal, then awesome. Hopefully that's the case-I worry a bit about his diet, since he still primarily eats seeds, though he's gotten a lot better about eating other things since we first had him.

Budgies are fantastic little talkers, and it's currently a budgie that holds the record for largest vocabulary of a talking bird as well at 1,728 words. http://naturesscrapbook.blogspot.com/2012/02/bird-with-largest-vocabulary-in-world.html

Yeah, it also might be that it is a natural thing for feathers but because most birds don't have so many white feathers most people don't notice. My bird is almost completely white so it just looked normal to me.

Also that's really impressive. I think Greys have a reputation as the best talkers because of clarity, but 1700 words is crazy.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Our birds have began to make ☭+*The Birdie Pack*+☭

Finn is obviously the leader and won't take poo poo from anybody or else he'll show you who produces the poop☭
Marceline is the hardlucked bird with a trouble past trying to take care of the group
Marshall is the newcomer trying to earn his ☭☭feathers☭☭ with the group, but will he be accepted into the flock?

Wait, nobody makes stories up about their birds :smith: ??

edit; made sure this post was okay with new subforum rules

Zomodok fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Mar 22, 2013

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Eejit posted:

Yeah, it also might be that it is a natural thing for feathers but because most birds don't have so many white feathers most people don't notice. My bird is almost completely white so it just looked normal to me.

Also that's really impressive. I think Greys have a reputation as the best talkers because of clarity, but 1700 words is crazy.

Pookie's a grey and her vocabulary is just terrible. She has maaaybe 10-15 things she says and most of them are noises rather than words. She is very expressive otherwise and most of my family can understand what she means when she just makes faces or body movements. Essentially we have all learned to speak Pookie instead of her learning to speak human.

Sneaky, lazy bird :3:

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz says one word (kiss), and he only says it right half the time. The rest its just ISS ISS ISS :downs:

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ritz says one word (kiss), and he only says it right half the time. The rest its just ISS ISS ISS :downs:
Zippy's only word is "Hi!" but she makes a lot of cute sounds (besides the little girl screams and what sounded--I've only heard it a few times--like a garbled "Oh my god! oh my god! Mom! Mom!")

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Chuck used to say, "Chuck! Chuck! Chucksapreedy bird. Chuck!"Then we got Tito and not he only speaks rear end in a top hat (parakeet)

Wandy wold whistles at me when I get home. That's about it!

marshmallard
Apr 15, 2005

This post is about me.
Ahh that reminded me of when Peep used to talk, before I got Beep. She used to love saying "birdy birdy birdy birdy" over and over, and she'd day "who's a pretty bird" (though mostly just "who's a").

I wish I'd got it on video.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

Pookie's a grey and her vocabulary is just terrible. She has maaaybe 10-15 things she says and most of them are noises rather than words. She is very expressive otherwise and most of my family can understand what she means when she just makes faces or body movements. Essentially we have all learned to speak Pookie instead of her learning to speak human.

Sneaky, lazy bird :3:

Hannah has a decent vocabulary. I'd have to sit down and write out all the words and stuff. Like Pookie, he does a ton of sound effects. I'm sure it's the same with Pookie, but with Hannah they are very context specific. I guess to him he IS talking to us with those noises.

Dopefish Lives!
Nov 27, 2004

Swim swim hungry

Sweet CupnCakes posted:

"Bust a move!"

Disco's a very talented talker. He's added a whole bunch more phrases since that video, which is over a year old. My favourites are probably "Live long and prosbird" and "Are you a baby bird or a baby bird?" I watch his videos whenever I need a pick-me-up. :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Dopefish Lives! posted:

Disco's a very talented talker. He's added a whole bunch more phrases since that video, which is over a year old. My favourites are probably "Live long and prosbird" and "Are you a baby bird or a baby bird?" I watch his videos whenever I need a pick-me-up. :3:

My favorites are "What seems to be the problem, officer?" and "BIRD TO YOUR MOTHER". If I could teach Novolo only one thing, it would be one of those two phrases.

Doc Faustus
Sep 6, 2005

Philippe is such an angry eater
I'm partial to "Disco budgie in the house tonight /Eat some millet and have a good time"

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.
I think my favorite one is when he does the Flintstones tune with the lyrics "Disco, meet the Disco" only because he sings his first line and then does a "doop de-boop boop" thing to continue the song. :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I checked out mysafebirdstore.com last night cause everyone mentioned that it was great a couple of pages ago and that whole build a complete diet for your bird for $53 is pretty amazing. I did one for the tiels and for Charlie since I don't give them as many fruits and veggies as I should since I don't keep any fresh food at home so I figure there's got to be enough healthy stuff for them in the 10 pounds of food I'm getting.

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008
This is going to be a ton of pictures and I'm not even sorry!

I posted a little while ago that I wanted to get a GCC so that I too can experience bird snuggles, which my furious budgie does not give me. So, I found a breeder nearby who turned out to be really fantastic, and put my deposit down on a bird. Meet Oliver:

Hatched on January 11.

I went to visit the babies at the breeder's house once they had gotten old enough to be hand fed to pick out my bird. Obviously I picked the cutest one. :3:

You can just see the yellow feathers coming in on his sides.

The breeder sent pictures every week while Oliver was growing up.

I swear I've been waiting about a million years for Oliver to be weaned and ready to come home, but yesterday it was FINALLY TIME. He's a little shy and when we picked him up from the breeder he was pretty upset. I guess I can't blame him since his siblings were disappearing one by one. He didn't want much to do with me or my boyfriend for the first couple of hours that he was home, but he changed his mind about us pretty quickly. My boyfriend had the honor of First Conure Snuggles.

He also has the more dubious honor of Tastiest Ears.

But we all get snuggles in this house <3

You guys, Oliver is SO CUTE. His little quacking noises and the way he falls over all the time because he's a clumsy baby. I AM IN LOVE.

And of course I can't forget my puffy ball of fury, who is very upset that I'm not spending 100% of my time in his room, picking up the toys he drops on the floor!

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Yayyyyyy Oliver is awesome! Congrats you guys :3:

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Oh man Oliver is so cute! :allears: I'd be lying though if I wasn't over here quietly steepling my fingers waiting for when he gets over the stop energy like Marshall and starts being a baby bird all over you. Prepare for nipped fingers and lots of baby raptor noises. But it's all worth it :3: Babies are soooo snuggly. Congrats!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Tadhg Dall posted:

I went to visit the babies at the breeder's house once they had gotten old enough to be hand fed to pick out my bird. Obviously I picked the cutest one. :3:

Hrrrrngh that smiling beaky face

I love his orange patches around his beak. He's very cute and his feathers look great. I wish I could have experienced Ohtori as a baby bird.

Also, that's a drat fine looking budgie you have there!

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
Sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this, but my roommate is hoping to get a parrotlet in May. I'm quite concerned he will not be able to care for it properly, as his previous pet experience was a cat he had for two years before he gave it away because it was "annoying" and wanted too much attention (I wasn't living here at the time so I have no idea if he was a weirdly demanding cat or something). I have asked him a few questions about bird care that he has been unable to answer, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Sorry if there was an FAQ or something I should have read!

1. Cleaning products: What do I need to know? What cleaning products must be avoided? We live in a small apartment with poor ventilation. I'm guessing no bleach. What about vinegar? What store-bought cleaners are recommended, and which should absolutely be avoided? It's a small apartment, but should we try our best to get the bird away from the area that's being cleaned?

2. Cookware: I am super confused about this one. I've heard non-stick is bad. Is that just at high temperatures, or do I need all new cookware? Is it just non-stick frying pans, or also non-stick cookie sheets? Are there certain oils that will hurt the bird if heated to a high temperature or anything like that? Are there any foods that give off fumes that could be dangerous?

3. I knit/crochet and my room is packed with yarn. I assume I should keep my door shut so the bird doesn't choke on yarn, right? Sometimes I'll accidentally track yarn scraps out into the common area. Is this something the bird can use as nesting material, or do I need to be super aware of these scraps and collect them immediately (they tend to get stuck on my socks and get trailed about so I usually don't spot them until I head back the way I came)?

Is there anything else I should know? I've had cats and a blind and diabetic dog, so I've had some pet experience, but birds are just way out of my comfort level. Since my roommate couldn't answer my questions about birds, I don't think he knows enough to be getting one as a pet. So basically, what do I need to know so we don't kill this poor bird?

Tadhg Dall
Dec 5, 2008

Amaya posted:

Oh man Oliver is so cute! :allears: I'd be lying though if I wasn't over here quietly steepling my fingers waiting for when he gets over the stop energy like Marshall and starts being a baby bird all over you. Prepare for nipped fingers and lots of baby raptor noises. But it's all worth it :3: Babies are soooo snuggly. Congrats!

He already bit the crap out of my boob, then a few minutes later went back and bit the red mark he left before. Thanks, buddy.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Baby conure! :neckbeard: Congrats on your new buddy, he is sooooo cute. Both with and without his big boy feathers!

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

electricgoat posted:

Sorry if this is the wrong place to be posting this, but my roommate is hoping to get a parrotlet in May. I'm quite concerned he will not be able to care for it properly, as his previous pet experience was a cat he had for two years before he gave it away because it was "annoying" and wanted too much attention (I wasn't living here at the time so I have no idea if he was a weirdly demanding cat or something). I have asked him a few questions about bird care that he has been unable to answer, and I was hoping you guys could help me out. Sorry if there was an FAQ or something I should have read!

1. Cleaning products: What do I need to know? What cleaning products must be avoided? We live in a small apartment with poor ventilation. I'm guessing no bleach. What about vinegar? What store-bought cleaners are recommended, and which should absolutely be avoided? It's a small apartment, but should we try our best to get the bird away from the area that's being cleaned?

2. Cookware: I am super confused about this one. I've heard non-stick is bad. Is that just at high temperatures, or do I need all new cookware? Is it just non-stick frying pans, or also non-stick cookie sheets? Are there certain oils that will hurt the bird if heated to a high temperature or anything like that? Are there any foods that give off fumes that could be dangerous?

3. I knit/crochet and my room is packed with yarn. I assume I should keep my door shut so the bird doesn't choke on yarn, right? Sometimes I'll accidentally track yarn scraps out into the common area. Is this something the bird can use as nesting material, or do I need to be super aware of these scraps and collect them immediately (they tend to get stuck on my socks and get trailed about so I usually don't spot them until I head back the way I came)?

Is there anything else I should know? I've had cats and a blind and diabetic dog, so I've had some pet experience, but birds are just way out of my comfort level. Since my roommate couldn't answer my questions about birds, I don't think he knows enough to be getting one as a pet. So basically, what do I need to know so we don't kill this poor bird?

1) Basically everything airborn is awful for birds. Bathroom air freshener, sprays, things like that. Bleach is bad in large doses but a little bit in some water with windows open should be okay? Also yes, always always always get the bird out of the room you're cleaning with chemicals. ANY chemicals. It's not good for them. Also remember to always wash your hands after touching chemically stuff before touching bird.

2) Nonstick is bad if it burns or flakes off, which it stands a more than 50% chance of doing if you use the pan for any amount of time. You'll get a lot of mixed opinions but imo it's not worth the risk. Their little lungs are super sensitive. No foods that I'm aware of though. Basically, it's best for the bird to not be in or around the kitchen ever when you're cooking to be honest.

3)I don't think that a bird would actually eat yarn and choke but I could be wrong.

If he doesn't know this stuff already and is thinking about getting a bird, discourage it as much as you can. Parrolets have a lot of energy and need attention from what I remember of them. If he can't take care of a cat how's he going to take care of a bird? This sounds like a bad idea to me :x

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

You could make your own cleaning products too, water, vinegar, some lemon juice and a splash of anti bacterial soap.

And yarn I wouldn't worry about as mentioned above, its a tangle hazard, but the bird will probably love playing with it ( which may he frustrating for you honestly).

And yes, birds require attention, lots of it, as well as dietary and veterinary needs, which can and will be expensive. If you haven't read the OP go ahead and do that, it will help.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Amaya posted:

1) Basically everything airborn is awful for birds. Bathroom air freshener, sprays, things like that. Bleach is bad in large doses but a little bit in some water with windows open should be okay? Also yes, always always always get the bird out of the room you're cleaning with chemicals. ANY chemicals. It's not good for them. Also remember to always wash your hands after touching chemically stuff before touching bird.

2) Nonstick is bad if it burns or flakes off, which it stands a more than 50% chance of doing if you use the pan for any amount of time. You'll get a lot of mixed opinions but imo it's not worth the risk. Their little lungs are super sensitive. No foods that I'm aware of though. Basically, it's best for the bird to not be in or around the kitchen ever when you're cooking to be honest.

3)I don't think that a bird would actually eat yarn and choke but I could be wrong.

If he doesn't know this stuff already and is thinking about getting a bird, discourage it as much as you can. Parrolets have a lot of energy and need attention from what I remember of them. If he can't take care of a cat how's he going to take care of a bird? This sounds like a bad idea to me :x

Thanks for your response, Amaya!

I have tried to convince him not to get a bird, but he seems to feel that I am overly concerned because I am vegan and therefore care about animals too much (and maybe he's right). A mutual friend is speaking with him about it, but it sounds like she'll be ignored, too. :(

We likely cannot open windows when cleaning. Aren't birds sensitive to temperature extremes? It is below -25 here for about half the year. I'm assuming this is too cold for a bird like a parrotlet? Is there some sort of awesome fan we can get to deal with ventilation?

I am quite poor and got some really lovely, damaged non-stick pans for free and have been using those for years. It sounds like those will have to go, then. He plans to put the bird cage right beside the kitchen. From what you said, this is a terrible idea, but our kitchen and living room are pretty much one room. I suggested his bedroom, but he will not do this (he doesn't open his blinds ever, and I'm thinking birds probably need some sunlight, so maybe this is a good thing). The farthest point in the living room away from the kitchen is right beside the drafty balcony door and windows. Which spot would be worse, between being right beside the kitchen and being beside a drafty door and windows?

I really appreciate your response.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

electricgoat posted:

I have tried to convince him not to get a bird, but he seems to feel that I am overly concerned because I am vegan and therefore care about animals too much (and maybe he's right). A mutual friend is speaking with him about it, but it sounds like she'll be ignored, too. :(
He's an idiot and I feel sorry in advance for the poor bird.

I've owned cats all my life and if he feels like a cat demanded too much attention he has no idea what he's getting into with a bird, particularly one as intelligent as a parrotlet. Birds as smart as this can and will develop mental disorders if they don't get enough attention (and they don't have a bird friend).

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

electricgoat posted:

We likely cannot open windows when cleaning. Aren't birds sensitive to temperature extremes? It is below -25 here for about half the year. I'm assuming this is too cold for a bird like a parrotlet? Is there some sort of awesome fan we can get to deal with ventilation?
Birds aren't sensitive to temperature changes too badly.

But especially for a smaller bird, ventilation is a very good idea, even while cleaning with more expensive non-toxic cleaners.

electricgoat posted:

I am quite poor and got some really lovely, damaged non-stick pans for free and have been using those for years. It sounds like those will have to go, then. He plans to put the bird cage right beside the kitchen. From what you said, this is a terrible idea, but our kitchen and living room are pretty much one room. I suggested his bedroom, but he will not do this (he doesn't open his blinds ever, and I'm thinking birds probably need some sunlight, so maybe this is a good thing). The farthest point in the living room away from the kitchen is right beside the drafty balcony door and windows. Which spot would be worse, between being right beside the kitchen and being beside a drafty door and windows?
The more you tell us the more I want to scream. This sounds like the perfect storm of terrible bird ownership ideas.

Your instincts that this is a bad idea are absolutely correct and for the sake of the bird please be much, much more direct in telling him exactly why he should not own one at this point in his life, if ever.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

We were at the vet again today and another couple had brought in a beautiful and very well behaved macaw who spoke only Russian! Also the receptionist said that they had a budgie that would come in who only spoke Japanese. The two African Grey regulars were in and then another one came in whose name was Preposterous, which I think is about the best name for a bird.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009

Kenshin posted:

Birds aren't sensitive to temperature changes too badly.

But especially for a smaller bird, ventilation is a very good idea, even while cleaning with more expensive non-toxic cleaners.

The more you tell us the more I want to scream. This sounds like the perfect storm of terrible bird ownership ideas.

Your instincts that this is a bad idea are absolutely correct and for the sake of the bird please be much, much more direct in telling him exactly why he should not own one at this point in his life, if ever.

Thank you for your response, Kenshin.

It doesn't get much colder than a bit below -50 here (celsius). Is that ok? Is there like a magic cutoff point at which we need to keep doors and windows closed? Or is this just a total non-issue? Same also goes for heat, but it only gets to a bit above +30 here, and I assume a parrotlet can handle way hotter temperatures than that?

I have recommended that we purchase a hepa filter, but my roommate said the bird will be fine without. I recommended that he bring the breeder by so they can check the place out to see if it'll be ok, but my roommate said it's fine and he won't be doing that. Should I just get a filter of some sort anyways? What's the cheapest filter I can get that would still be good enough to help a bird? Should I at least get a good fan for when we're cleaning/cooking?

As for talking him out of getting a bird, I've tried. When he first told me he wanted a bird, I told him that he tends to get really into things and then lose interest quickly, and that birds live a long time, so he needs to commit to this, unlike his old cat. He told me he has been interested in getting a bird for a year already, and the fact that he is still interested means he's totally into this and that he never really wanted the cat. He said he's watched lots of youtube videos of birds. I told him that watching videos is different than actually having a bird; I like lions and have seen lots of videos of lions, but this does not mean I would be capable of caring for a lion. He said he's researched it, so he knows what he's getting into, but when I asked him my very practical questions, he had no answer. When I called him out on that and said he's clearly not ready, he said it's because those are really specific and he'll find out when it's closer to the time he's actually getting the bird. He has commented that it'll be nice to be able to have the bird on his shoulder while he watches TV or does homework, and I told him the bird might not want to do things at the times he wants to, and that the bird might want to do more active things than just that. He said that's fine. I told him we're not allowed to have pets here, so if someone hears the bird, he might have a problem. He said he'll just get a quiet a bird. I said that just because the bird is quiet as a baby doesn't mean it will be quiet forever, but this concern was dismissed. He is still a student, and I have warned him there will be unexpected costs, but he says that's fine. I've pointed out that he doesn't know what kind of job he'll get or what kind of living arrangements he'll have in the future, and he doesn't know if his future partner will end up being someone who hates birds. I've told him to wait until he's at least graduated and gotten a job, and he was okay with that for a few months, but then his parents encouraged him to get one ASAP because he's so lonely (he wants a bird because he's lonely) and have even bought a cage for him. I have also flat-out told him that I think he doesn't know enough about birds and is going to kill it. But unfortunately, he knows I do not like the idea of exotic pets (I mean no offense to you folks- I'm sure you're all great bird parents), and so he thinks I'm basically being a hysterical vegan. I don't know what else to say. :(

Anyways, all that rambling was to say that I've argued as much as I can. When I talked to my boyfriend about this, he basically told me I need to either emotionally remove myself from the situation or take on the responsibilities of caring for the bird. I can't just let the bird that will live here die, so I've come here seeking advice. I'd really like to talk him out of this, but I can't, so I just want to do the best I can for this bird, and I'm honestly terrified the poor thing is just going to die after like a week. :( So, yeah, any advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated (reading OP now and googling some stuff).

EDIT to add that I suggested that he at least get two birds so they can entertain each other, but he said he doesn't want to do that because he wants the bird to bond with him and not another bird. I know nothing about birds so I had no response to that. But now the more I'm hearing from you folks, the more I'm glad he's not getting two birds, because it sounds like any bird that comes here is just going to die right away. :(

electricgoat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Mar 24, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So here's how it seems like it's going to work:

YOU are going to have a parrotlet that's scared of humans and is in poor shape in about 6 months. Are you ready to take that on? Not trying to guilt you at all, but it sounds like that's what's bound to happen based on the intent of your room mate.

You don't need a filter, he's right, if you have windows open. But if it's -50C outside, that's not an option.

Your room mate has no idea what he's getting into, to be frank. Also, on the temperature thing, NEGATIVE 50c? That's extremely cold, and with most birds being tropical or subtropical, I'd say if your apartment gets anywhere below 10c your bird will freeze. Most birds operate at a body temperature of 108 degrees Fahrenheit, or 42.2 degrees Celsius, so 10c to a bird is like 6c for you, which you may find is rather cold when you don't have the option of grabbing a blanket or something. The reality of it is, you will be a good bird parent, you're researching, seeking advice, and being a vegan, your bird can eat whatever you eat for the most part (no avocados, onions or chocolate). Have you tried to have your roomy read this thread by any chance?

It may be an eye opener for him, as I think he doesn't quite grasp the idea that in order to keep his new soul mate from dying, he's going to have to chop veggies, deal with bites, clean poop, be pooped on, spend time sitting getting to know the bird, pay for vet bills (which can be upwards of $500US if any blood work needs to be done), and basically change his life around for something that is no bigger than a tennis ball. The bird will need a bed time, and a time to wake up, it may wake up when the sun comes up, does your room mate like sleeping in? Nope, not anymore. There are tons of factors that go into this, and from what you say, you're WAY more prepared than he is, just by asking these questions. Have you flat out told him that it's going to die? What happens if he becomes super attached to the baby bird and it dies, is he going to go into a downward spiral of depression and get another one, which will probably suffer the same fate?

They're called exotic animals for a reason, they're exotic, and things that usually do in nature aren't really the kinds of things they'll do in your care, so being a responsible bird owner, you must provide these things for them.

Just some food for thought, but at the end of the day it's a terrible idea.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Mar 24, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My conure used to live outside in -5C and colder. The breeder said they even still loved to take baths in such weather. So yes, birds can live in cold, to an extent (pretty sure he wouldn't handle anywhere near -50C, probably -10 would be pushing it)-but the thing was, he'd been outside since summer, so he was able to get used to it gradually over those months. A bird in an apartment with windows opened and cold breezes coming in like that will suffer and likely die from the temperature changes.

There's so much else in your posts I don't even know where to start, except suggesting instead of a new bird, maybe get a new boyfriend? :) Really though the attitude and carelessness he's showing towards a living creature (and you!) is terrible.