Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Who was the Sansa rapist? Or the Arya rapist?

Also, I'm sad to hear GRRM will have to take time off from writing books to write another TV show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

thornghost posted:

In case there was some small, secret part of you that still had an inkling of hope that the absolute fucker might finish the series, here's some news that will crush that:

GRRM signs a 2 year deal with HBO to do different projects!

I'm hoping for a Tuf Voyaging miniseries myself! Imaging the drama of a fat man sitting in space making psychic cats! Oh, or perhaps we'll see a retelling of The Pear Shaped Man!

EDIT:

This just in! Reaction from Brandon Sanderson!

Ugh, I remember the Pear Shaped Man. I transcribed parts of it in this thread for anyone who wants to read it.

EDIT - Or I'll just link it here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738&userid=162852&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post401840047
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738&userid=162852&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post401870312

And my personal favourite http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3422738&userid=162852&perpage=40&pagenumber=3#post402338686

Octy fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Mar 21, 2013

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Haha, that numb oval office talking head. Jesus. Entertainment news is the worst. Never in a million years would I think of Grum as being hollywoody newsworthy, yet here we are. This (grey, grotesque, aged) kid's got moxie and talent, he's gonna burn bright I tells ya!

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Azure_Horizon posted:

Tuf Voyaging would make a fantastic miniseries. It would also cost a fuckton of money in SFX.

Are you high? It must be done as cheaply as possible, like MST3k-style with puppets made quite obviously out of scraps. I don't care how inappropriate it would be, this would be how HBO justifies GoT's insane budgets.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Urdnot Fire posted:

The slaver Dany "trades" Drogo to in exchange for the Unsullied. Only this time, it's not one of her dragons he wants...

Vaginas are not slaves.

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

IRQ posted:

He said that.

Could I get a source for this?

Normy
Jul 1, 2004

Do I Krushchev?

I assume GRRM is playing Wun Wun.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Contra Calculus posted:

I'm not sure if he's said it straightly, but I've read a few comments from him where people ask him his opinion on stuff like Prop 8 and he kind of evades in a "I am a good man and my church is funding this movement, but I have nothing to do with that" fashion. I've not read anything more firm than that, myself.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

^^^^ I want to say I've seen that sort of thing in an interview video or something too but this was closer to hand:

Contra Calculus posted:

http://brandonsanderson.com/article/51/EUOLogy-Dumbledores-Homosexuality

quote:

3) I have changed my stance on gay marriage somewhat. After a great deal of soul searching, thought, and discussion, I now believe that the best way to approach this is to push for ALL state unions to be civil unions. I believe we should establish what the state grants a union�whether it be straight or gay�and apply those rights universally to all.

Marriage, I believe, should become an entirely religious term. Marriages should be performed by churches. In short, I believe that we should "Render unto Caesar that which is Ceasar's, and Render unto God that which is God's."

This would mean a great overhaul of civil code, but I find it the only solution my conscience will allow me to advocate. I cannot be deaf to the pleas of gay couples who want important things, such as hospital visitation rights, shared insurance, and custody rights.

At the same time, I accept and sustain the leaders of the LDS church. I believe that a prophet of God has said that widespread legislation to approve gay marriage will bring pain and suffering to all involved. I trust those whom I have accepted as my spiritual leaders. I feel that what they have said is God's will.

I mean I guess you can spin it either way if you really want to, but he does take what I have to say is probably the best sort of position on it a practicing mormon is ever going to be able to have without getting into some kind of existential crisis. Yeah his tithe money probably went to some general Cult of Mormon slush fund that fought prop 8 but as far as talking about agreeing with hate campaigns the dude definitely seems to be more on the live and let live side of things.

IRQ fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Mar 21, 2013

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k
Okay, thanks. I'd like to think that most mormons are like that deep down, but eh who knows? I stopped being a mormon at about 17 when I decided I'd rather read fantasy books about incest and pedos instead of fantasy books about American Exceptionalism.

SaviourX
Sep 30, 2003

The only true Catwoman is Julie Newmar, Lee Meriwether, or Eartha Kitt.

Can I quote you on that, bra? Because like dang, that's good.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Thought I'd check Gurm's blog to see how TWOW is going.

George RR Martin posted:

I am never going to be one of those "I wrote three pages today" writers. Sorry, that's not how I roll

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

GRRM only rolls down hills, and even then only when there's a promise of food/football/Emilia Clarke. By the way, the third Google suggestion for Emilia Clarke is apparently "Emilia Clarke feet". You're welcome.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

Urdnot Fire posted:

GRRM only rolls down hills, and even then only when there's a promise of food/football/Emilia Clarke. By the way, the third Google suggestion for Emilia Clarke is apparently "Emilia Clarke feet". You're welcome.

That's not how GRRM rolls.

This is how GRRM rolls:

neckbeard
Jan 25, 2004

Oh Bambi, I cried so hard when those hunters shot your mommy...
Just finished ADWD 2 nights ago :)

When I was buying the book, the woman at the book store warned me "Dany's storyline is incredibly boring, but just keep pushing through, it does actually pay off" Glad she was right.

edit: was just thinking about the one time when I did drop some spoilers, but didn't feel too bad, as the person I spoiled was a massive idiot.

Last summer I went to Iceland to run the Reykjavik marathon, I had brought Storm of Swords to read on the plane. I was reading it at the departure gate in the airport while waiting for the flight back to New York. This young woman, I think she was like 20 or so, from upstate New York, but going to college in Florida, came up to me, "Oh, I love those books, I've read the first 3 so far."
I replied "I'm just getting to the point where things area really getting interesting in this one.
"I thought they were all interesting all the way through"
so I tried to clarify, "well poo poo's just hitting the fan, just got to the point where Robb has died"
"what?..."
"Robb's death. The Red Wedding?"

Turned out she had read books 1,2, and 4, but not actually read 3. How someone could make it through the 4th without reading the third sounds a bit odd.

So we get on the plane, and just my loving luck, she's sitting next to me... I have the window seat and the guy sitting on the aisle seat she had met briefly, then proceeded to tell him about her adventures over the weekend claiming "I smoked weed with Bjork's brother" I didn't say anything because I'm thinking, if Bjork does have a brother, dude's probably like 40-50 years old. And it was most likely just some guy saying that to hook up with stupid American girls.

The flight path has us going over Greenland and it was a clear day so I was just looking out the window at the scenery and she asks "How many people live in Greenland?"
"I think like 50,000 or so"
"Yeah, no one wants to be living up north, you dont see many people wanting to live up in Serbia"

Serbia, she said, not Siberia. Serbia which is up north in the Balkans, or perhaps she did mean Siberia, which only has a tiny population of 40 million"

neckbeard fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Mar 22, 2013

p.crestmont
Feb 17, 2012

Elman posted:

Well yeah George, we know you aren't a "I'm going to write 3 pages a day" author. If that were the case it wouldn't take you like 7 years to write a 1,045 page novel.

Ross
May 25, 2001

German Moses

neckbeard posted:

Just finished ADWD 2 nights ago :)

When I was buying the book, the woman at the book store warned me "Dany's storyline is incredibly boring, but just keep pushing through, it does actually pay off" Glad she was right.

I just finished a re-read of AFFC and thought it was good :unsmith:

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!

Ross posted:

I just finished a re-read of AFFC and thought it was good :unsmith:

I definitely liked AFFC more the second time through, which is probably because I wasn't holding out for some major plot advancement.

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Compared to most of ADWD (Dany/Tyrion), the Jaime chapters in AFFC are loving golden.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

p.crestmont posted:

Well yeah George, we know you aren't a "I'm going to write 3 pages a day" author. If that were the case it wouldn't take you like 7 years to write a 1,045 page novel.

He's a .4 page per day author.

thornghost
Oct 11, 2010

I have a picture of me with GRRM. He looks less than enthused.

hailthefish posted:

That's not how GRRM rolls.

This is how GRRM rolls:

Fixed:

Contra Calculus
Nov 6, 2009

Gravy Boat 2k

SaviourX posted:

Can I quote you on that, bra? Because like dang, that's good.

Go for it.

IRQ, I found your new avatar.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Urdnot Fire posted:

Compared to most of ADWD (Dany/Tyrion), the Jaime chapters in AFFC are loving golden.
Like his hand.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

The devil can cite Scripture for his purpose!
http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=1045+pages+%2F+7+years+in+days

I bet we could plot is his progress based on previous performance.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

I'm about to see gurm speak.

And season 3 episode 1 advanced screening.

Trip report after.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Quick, print out the GRRM certificate and give it to him.

Sign it "T.B. Thread"

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Gurm gave a speech about his modest upbringing, and how books have shaped his life.

There was then a "moderated" Q and A session in which pre-selected questions were pitched to him.

The sixth book did not come up.

New episode was good. The end was kind of really cheesy--Barristan makes his return by saving Dany from a scorpion thing. It just felt really forced and the creepy assassin child involved was not at all convincing. Other than that, good.

whowhatwhere
Mar 15, 2010

SHINee's back
Please tell me they said "I'm so sorry" first.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

whowhatwhere posted:

Please tell me they said "I'm so sorry" first.

There's no need. We're all sorry.

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

No, it was pretty terrible actually. Daeneyeyrys sees this little girl smiling at her, so she proceeds to sort of follow the little girl up to this dock, at which the little girl rolls this ball to Daenerysys. Right as she opens the sphere-box, Barristan knocks it out of her hands, but this sort of opens it and a crazy alien scorpion creature comes out. Which Barristan stabs with a knife. And then Barristan chases the creepy assassin girl, but then it looks like she jumps in the water but she really teleports like 100 yards onto a rooftop, and glares at them menacingly. And then she disappears (also she has black teeth or something).

bigmcgaffney
Apr 19, 2009
"You only YOLO once"

-bronn st. germaine, A Game of Theones

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Calef posted:

Gurm gave a speech about his modest upbringing, and how books have shaped his life.

There was then a "moderated" Q and A session in which pre-selected questions were pitched to him.

The sixth book did not come up.

New episode was good. The end was kind of really cheesy--Barristan makes his return by saving Dany from a scorpion thing. It just felt really forced and the creepy assassin child involved was not at all convincing. Other than that, good.

Do they make any attempt to hide the fact it's Barristan?

Doesn't he beat the poo poo into three dudes in the book? Killing a scorpion, WTF?

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Calef posted:

No, it was pretty terrible actually. Daeneyeyrys sees this little girl smiling at her, so she proceeds to sort of follow the little girl up to this dock, at which the little girl rolls this ball to Daenerysys. Right as she opens the sphere-box, Barristan knocks it out of her hands, but this sort of opens it and a crazy alien scorpion creature comes out. Which Barristan stabs with a knife. And then Barristan chases the creepy assassin girl, but then it looks like she jumps in the water but she really teleports like 100 yards onto a rooftop, and glares at them menacingly. And then she disappears (also she has black teeth or something).

drat, why do they insist on using iconic and really cool scenes from the books and getting rid of all the things which made those scenes so memorable in the first place?

Scissors
Mar 22, 2004

Junkenstein posted:

Do they make any attempt to hide the fact it's Barristan?

Doesn't he beat the poo poo into three dudes in the book? Killing a scorpion, WTF?

I was there too, and no... He's introduced pretty much right away. And there was no Belwas.

Also a quote from his speech:

"There's a horny 17-year old in me" -GRRM

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

"There's a horny 17-year-old in me. She was marinaded in teriyaki and sriracha. Yummo! I love Craigslist."

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Elman posted:

Can you be one of those writers who says they wrote 30 pages yesterday? Because that would be great

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

Junkenstein posted:

Nah, his initial appearance in ACOK was just him crushing a "manticore" with his staff.

Stay Safe
Sep 1, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Don't spoiler tag anything in this thread please. Ever. That goes against everything this thread is about.

quote:

There's a horny 17-year-old in me
New thread title material.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Dead Man Posting posted:

Don't spoiler tag anything in this thread please. Ever. That goes against everything this thread is about.
New thread title material.

This. Please go back and edit your posts to remove all spoiler tags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Contra Calculus posted:

Only problem with Sanderson is that he's not exactly great with characterization when it's not the main characters he's writing.
I picture sanderson requiring some sort of magic system to write anything. Like he would NEED to know how many mana points it costs to raise someone from the dead. And GRRMs poo poo is all "It's Magic, I don't gotta explain it!" It would be like Sanderson's mind would just lock up creatively until he could get it sorted - and of course that is never gonna happen.