Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.

ConfusedUs posted:

He's shown some true friendship for Malack, including apologizing for his actions and taking steps to correct the behavior.

Tarquin is absolutely an evil narcissistic bastard, but he's just as human as anyone else.

Specist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I am merely limited by mainstream grammatical structure and colloquial phrasing.

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Just another example of the privilege inherent in language.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Voyager I posted:

So did you catch the part where literally half the strip is a deconstruction of the Evil Archetype being a cartoonish sociopath that is incapable of having meaningful relationships?

On the other hand, the other half of the strip is Xykon building the stereotype back up again.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

greatn posted:

To be cool and be remembered seem to be his real primary motivations.

They are. That does not mean he is incapable of having a personal life. Real people all over the world balance commitments between their careers and the people they care about.

wiegieman posted:

On the other hand, the other half of the strip is Xykon building the stereotype back up again.

True, but Xykon is part of the deconstruction; he's the straight man of the villainous cast, so to speak. He also gets a good bit more depth in the ancillary works like Start of Darkness. He is and always will be a classic Sociopathic Evil Guy, but Rich does an excellent job of exploring what kind of person would actually result in a being like Xykon exiting.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
So, the logical end result of the story is that Xykon's gonna die, somehow, someway.

How do y'all think it's going to happen? Roy's sword? The Snarl? Belkar?

Alliterate Addict
Jul 10, 2012

dreaming of that face again

it's bright and blue and shimmering

grinning wide and comforting me with it's three warm and wild eyes

rotinaj posted:

So, the logical end result of the story is that Xykon's gonna die, somehow, someway.

I'm going to bet either "Dark One" or "Snarl", by way of "attempting to foil The Plan".

Not because he suddenly goes good, but out of spite.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

rotinaj posted:

Have you not read Start of Darkness? It happened already.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

I don't think Redcloak is going to let Xykon die with style in some climactic battle. He'll just offhandedly wreck him when he has what he needs, if only for the blow to his ego.

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

greatn posted:

I never saw him as that developed in the first place. The entire chapter I've never seen him express anything except smug amusement and self satisfaction at how awesome he is. He's just a narcissist, having a vampire lizard thing friend helps fulfill his political goals and his ability to make himself look cooler. To be cool and be remembered seem to be his real primary motivations.

If you're actively trying to read his every word as 'part of the master plan', then I guess that's your business, but http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0854.html

e:

wiegieman posted:

I don't think Redcloak is going to let Xykon die with style in some climactic battle. He'll just offhandedly wreck him when he has what he needs, if only for the blow to his ego.

Well, Xykon's due for a disappointment when he finds out Redcloak's ritual won't give him jack poo poo, and this is a plan he's turned into a skeleton for. He's already suspicious of Redcloak, and has been since Azure City; he tasked Tsukiko on reverse engineering the ritual, and if he honestly didn't understand it, he probably wouldn't have lied to Redcloak about it. When he finds out he's been conned, Xykon's going to be really, really angry. He's removed souls from the cycle of life and death for less.

Heatwizard fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Mar 28, 2013

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

rotinaj posted:

Suicide. Probably explosive. Because if he's got to go, he's going to blow everyone up and screw THEM over too. Assuming he gets weakened to the point that he realises he IS gonna die without a means to get out of it, rather than being one-shot.

Or he'll find some other way of screwing everyone up via his death. Also 'I will not lose to your fist!'.

He's that sort of person, from what I've seen(No side books, currently).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think Xykon is already preparing for Redcloak's sudden inevitable betrayal.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

iram omni possibili modo preme:
plus una illa te diffamabit, quam multæ virtutes commendabunt

sebmojo posted:

He has from the start of Darkness :haw:.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Redcloak offs Xykon when he realizes Xykon has modified the ritual to give him complete control of the snarl and that Gobbotopia has been unilaterally accepted as a real nation and Goblins as real people. And he will loving like it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

sebmojo posted:

He is, I just don't think he's realised the magnitude of it or the fact it's been all been a lie from the very beginning.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
You know it's interesting, OOTS coming back (and the return of actual discussion here) has driven me to re-read OOTS from the beginning for the third or so time. I never noticed this before, but despite the fact that the party starts out as walking D&D rulebook jokes he actually starts developing them fairly early on by having each one go through some kind of personal problem; Durkon gets separated from the group and has sex with the evil Dwarven cleric, Haley gets separated when she's kidnapped by the nerd goblin, Elan gets kidnapped by bandits in the forest, and V gets turned into a lizard, Roy's arc is the main plot and Belkar is the joke character (well, not exactly anymore, but you know what I mean).

All of it happens fairly early on before the main plot's really kicked into high gear which basically begins when Miko shows up and each little sideplot is very quick and not especially deep, but just by virtue of letting each party member shine in their own way it really establishes the team dynamic, and makes it hit that much harder later on when V goes mad with power or Durkon is turned undead. Even early on when they're still making corny jokes every panel, it gets you to care about and like the characters in some way.

Basically, this is a long-winded way of saying Rich Is Good At Storytelling.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Affi posted:

Redcloak offs Xykon when he realizes Xykon has modified the ritual to give him complete control of the snarl and that Gobbotopia has been unilaterally accepted as a real nation and Goblins as real people. And he will loving like it.

Unilaterally means only involving one side. This would be the case if Gobbotopia declared independence and the majority of the world refused to recognize it. This is not what Redcloak wants.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
V is kind of worthless at the moment. It's like every bad thing happening to the party right now is directly V's fault. Well, part V's, part Roy's. Roy's an idiot for letting their mage run off in the first place. If he had put in the :effort: to follow V instead of being all "I don't need this poo poo right now" they never would have been separated by some lame magical trap.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

greatn posted:

If he had put in the :effort: to follow V instead of being all "I don't need this poo poo right now" they never would have been separated by some lame magical trap.

You're expecting a lot from a warrior who jumped onto an undead dragon to have a sword fight with the lich sorcerer that can destroy an army of paladins on his own.

The more important thing to remember, regarding killing Xykon: Who is going to destroy his phylactery? He can't die if Redcloak is alive and still on his side. If Redcloak destroys it off-panel, that'd be kinda lame, but if he was going to do it in the comic, he'd probably have done it by now.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nimby posted:

You're expecting a lot from a warrior who jumped onto an undead dragon to have a sword fight with the lich sorcerer that can destroy an army of paladins on his own.

The more important thing to remember, regarding killing Xykon: Who is going to destroy his phylactery? He can't die if Redcloak is alive and still on his side. If Redcloak destroys it off-panel, that'd be kinda lame, but if he was going to do it in the comic, he'd probably have done it by now.

If Xykon is destroyed and then regenerates NOT in his interdimensional castle I imagine Redcloak would have a little but of explaining to do.(then again Redcloak might have access to it anyway)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Killing Xykon, though, makes Redcloak (and the phylactery) a lot more vulnerable.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Would Xykon know if Redcloak destroys his phylactery? I mean, besides that possibly being one of the wards on it, is there any way a lich would know, "hey, my soul's back in my body, that's not good"? (Can't remember if you still have to destroy the lich one last time after the phylactery, or if that would immediately end him.)

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

The soul is in Xykon until he's destroyed, at which point it goes to the phylactery.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Roland Jones posted:

Would Xykon know if Redcloak destroys his phylactery? I mean, besides that possibly being one of the wards on it, is there any way a lich would know, "hey, my soul's back in my body, that's not good"? (Can't remember if you still have to destroy the lich one last time after the phylactery, or if that would immediately end him.)

The way I always understood it (I know very little about D&D) is that even after you destroy the phylactery, you still have the actual Lich to deal with, only he won't respawn if the artifact is destroyed.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Roland Jones posted:

Pretty sure the lich needs have its body destroyed at the time the phylactery is destroyed or else another phylactery can be made.

Since the phylactery can be pretty much anywhere this makes killing liches pretty hard.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I thought the Lich can have seven phylacteries and basically the only thing that can stop him is some high school kids.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'm pretty sure a lich is just one.

A demilich has the 8 soul gems that also act like phylacteries because they were specifically designed to be total bastards.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

e: ^^^^^^^ yeah, but those gems are inside the demilich's body at least, so you don't need to find them.

If Xykon ends up in the phylactery, can you guys think of any way Redcloak might exploit his position to make him more pliable? Any promises extorted from him while he's helpless wouldn't be worth anything, and I can't think of a way to build a prison in 1d10 days that's capable of holding a guy who can cast (Still!) supreme dispelling. Unless the wards of the astral castle can be cleverly 'hacked' to keep people in rather than out, which would be deliciously ironic, but if you're going to lock him so far out of the way you might as well just smash the phylactery instead.

If I were playing Redcloak in a campaign, I would cast gate to the realm of the Dark One and get him to put some divine-level version of geas/quest on Xykon's soul, but that's probably too deus (literally!) ex machina for OotS.

NihilCredo fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Mar 28, 2013

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

NihilCredo posted:

e: ^^^^^^^ yeah, but those gems are inside the demilich's body at least, so you don't need to find them.

If Xykon ends up in the phylactery, can you guys think of any way Redcloak might exploit his position to make him more pliable? Any promises extorted from him while he's helpless wouldn't be worth anything, and I can't think of a way to build a prison in 1d10 days that's capable of holding a guy who can cast (Still!) supreme dispelling. Unless the wards of the astral castle can be cleverly 'hacked' to keep people in rather than out, which would be deliciously ironic, but if you're going to lock him so far out of the way you might as well just smash the phylactery instead.

If I were playing Redcloak in a campaign, I would cast gate to the realm of the Dark One and get him to put some divine-level version of geas/quest on Xykon's soul, but that's probably too deus (literally!) ex machina for OotS.

Stone to mud. Bury phylactery. Mud to stone.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Redcloak's already had Xykon in the phylactery. He's not betraying him until the a gate is in hand and secure.

NihilCredo
Jun 6, 2011

Alchenar posted:

Redcloak's already had Xykon in the phylactery. He's not betraying him until the a gate is in hand and secure.
That was a while ago and Redcloak's been through a lot since. He wouldn't have risked the switcharoo if he didn't foresee the possibility of needing to betray Xykon. (Most likely by just smashing the phylactery, but I was wondering about any alternatives.)

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just realized that xykon will discover the double cross by dying. He will respawn next to redcloak and not in his pocket dimension.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

ikanreed posted:

I just realized that xykon will discover the double cross by dying. He will respawn next to redcloak and not in his pocket dimension.

It takes him weeks to go from a voice in the phylactery to a fully-formed skeleton, though.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Alchenar posted:

The relationship between Xykon and Redcloak has deteriorated dramatically in the interim, and both of them are aware of it. Switching the Phylacteries was crossing a threshold for Redcloak; he is now prepared to make his end-game betrayal of Xykon. Relevantly, his betrayal will also be revealed to Xykon in the event that his body is destroyed, which would probably force his hand on the matter.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Alchenar posted:

Redcloak now has Gobbotopia to return to, has had Tsukiko try to steal his ritual (on Xykon's orders) and he might want his eye back. He'll still want Xykon around for the gate-scheme, but I don't think he'd terribly mind if Xykon was out of the picture completely. Dude's way too strong now.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Xykon didn't order Tsukiko to steal the ritual, that was her operating on her own deluded prerogative. Xykon didn't appear to really even care when Redcloak announced that he'd killed Tsukiko, and he's not exactly a dude with a lot of ranks in Bluff.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Pope Guilty posted:

Xykon didn't order Tsukiko to steal the ritual, that was her operating on her own deluded prerogative. Xykon didn't appear to really even care when Redcloak announced that he'd killed Tsukiko, and he's not exactly a dude with a lot of ranks in Bluff.

I'm pretty sure he gave Tsukiko the arcane half and asked her to figure it out. She broke in to look at the divine half but it's attached to the cloak so she couldn't learn it and then she threatened Redcloak so he killed her because letting her live would be stupid.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Also, as a Sorcerer, Xykon has Charisma out the rear end, and as an evil Sorcerer, he's got no reason not to max his Bluff. The fact that usually he's too powerful to care about lying to people now doesn't mean he didn't need to do it a lot earlier in his career when he didn't always have overwhelming force. I think it's a mistake to assume that Xykon can't lie really well.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

rotinaj posted:

Mr. Scruffy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danzou
Oct 24, 2010

by angerbot
Xykon didn't even know there was another half to the ritual he was given, and it doesn't seem like Tsukiko had time to explain her findings to him.