Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
http://p-bandai.jp/fashion-net/c0006/c000602/item-1000080977/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chibs
Jun 28, 2004

bring it back :guillotine:
Welp.

Akibaranger is now canon.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I watched the first few episodes of Os, and wow, this is a lot better than I was expecting. I mean, I was just looking for goofy action, but the back and forth between Ankh and Eiji is actually a pretty interesting take on the HERO DEFEATS BAD GUY tropes.

Also, the birthday cake guy is the best.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Endorph posted:

I watched the first few episodes of Os, and wow, this is a lot better than I was expecting. I mean, I was just looking for goofy action, but the back and forth between Ankh and Eiji is actually a pretty interesting take on the HERO DEFEATS BAD GUY tropes.

The back and forth is wonderful.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Endorph posted:

It only gets better. OOOs is just a hair shy of being as good as W but that still means it's excellent.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?

Endorph posted:

"Why is the belt singing?"
"Nevermind that, just start hitting!"

Yeah, Ankh and Cakeboss are pretty much the best parts of the show.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
OOO was an interesting show to follow when it was airing, reading about the behind the scenes nonsense.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Apr 6, 2013

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Chibs posted:

Welp.

Akibaranger is now canon.

Watched the raw. The mecha battle really is the greatest in all of sentai.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Alright, I need a few reccommendations here :)

I'm just about now getting into Tokusatsu, and I'm wondering what to watch now.

Things I've watched so far:

- Kamen Rider OOO: liked it a lot.
- Kamen Rider Fourze: general feeling was "meh", dropped it about a quarter of the way into the series (even before the second Rider was introduced).
- Kamen Rider Wizard: watching right now, liking it so far.
- Gokaiger: loved it.
- Akibaranger: ditto.
- Kyoryuger: see KR Wizard.
- GARO (first series): didn't particularly like or dislike it.

Also I watched all of Power Rangers from the first series through to SPD, but I don't know if this counts (I guess so?).

I'm definitely going to watch the second season of Akibaranger, but I'm wondering what other completed series I could watch. I've heard the general opinion of Kamen Rider W is that it's really good, should I just go with that?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Double, definitely.

Justin_Brett posted:

OOO was an interesting show to follow when it was airing, reading about the behind the scenes nonsense.
Since this came up, I gotta ask. I read online, uncited, that Ankh was intended to be the final villain, but it was changed partly because children were buying Red Core Medal sets and sending them to Toei for him. :swoon: That's the cutest drat thing I've ever heard, but I don't want to share it til I know it's true. Any clue?

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Mikl posted:

I'm definitely going to watch the second season of Akibaranger, but I'm wondering what other completed series I could watch. I've heard the general opinion of Kamen Rider W is that it's really good, should I just go with that?
Yes, you should. And if you haven't already, watch Movie Wars Megamax (which features OOO, Fourze and W along with the Legendary Seven) and the Fourze movie.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Double, definitely.

Since this came up, I gotta ask. I read online, uncited, that Ankh was intended to be the final villain, but it was changed partly because children were buying Red Core Medal sets and sending them to Toei for him. :swoon: That's the cutest drat thing I've ever heard, but I don't want to share it til I know it's true. Any clue?

I haven't heard THAT one before, but I have heard that it's largely the same reason why Date wasn't killed off-terrible things were happening in real life so they wanted to soften it up a lot.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Double, definitely.

Never heard that one before. I meant PutoTyRa, which was an upgrade the execs came up with at the last minute, 'cause kids love dinosaurs. Originally it was going to be a combo of all the original forms.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
It was brought up in the previous thread once or twice I believe. Either that or I read it on /m/.

Anyways, if you liked OOO and want more of that watch W (or hold off til later, but definitely get around to it eventually.) Other than that for Sentai Jetman and Shinkenger seem like series that you might like, based on the three you mentioned and, though I haven't watched them myself, Dekaranger and Magiranger sound like they'd be good for you too. I am basing that off of the three you mentioned all having pretty distinct characters.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Thanks to everybody for your answers :)

One thing I was wondering regarding Movie Wars Megamax, since I had already downloaded it some months ago after finishing OOO, but never got around to watching it: do I need to be way of Double spoilers, or can I watch the movie first without worrying?

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Mikl posted:

Thanks to everybody for your answers :)

One thing I was wondering regarding Movie Wars Megamax, since I had already downloaded it some months ago after finishing OOO, but never got around to watching it: do I need to be way of Double spoilers, or can I watch the movie first without worrying?

Outside of seeing W's final form, there's not much to spoil.

Daler Mehndi
Apr 10, 2005

Tunak Tunak Tun!
I just watched the raw for the new GARO series. While I'm looking forward to subs, it looks like they'll be keeping the focus on action, like they did in the 2nd series.

And oh God, the first episode of Akibaranger's 2nd series. The opening alone cracked me up. :allears:

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Finally broke and grabbed myself a Super Best Double Driver. Now, I only have to find a way to snag Gaia memories three years after the show they're from went off the air...

...this won't end cheaply...

Suben
Jul 1, 2007

In 1985 Dr. Strange makes a rap album.
Also three words that should be drilled into everyone's skulls: Watch Sun Vulcan.

It's the epitome of old school toku campiness/craziness and is awesome for it.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That's a funny way to spell "Zuvat."

Which is also the best way to spell "greatest show ever made by the hands of man or God."

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

Burkion posted:

That's a funny way to spell "Zuvat."

Which is also the best way to spell "greatest show ever made by the hands of man or God."
This. I wish the rest of that show would get subbed.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

I've just been waiting so long for a good reason to post that because goddamn, even when you get past all the untranslated garbage, the lovely fonts, the dumb graphics, and even when they mishear poo poo leading to complete mistranslation, you still have objectively lovely phrasing.

How can you listen to the way that line is delivered and seriously think that translating it to be the most awkward, formal thing is even close to appropriate? It's as if they don't even listen to how things get said, or who says them. It's like they have one guy write down what he hears in phonetic english with no punctuation marks, and then they have another guy translate it literally, and then they have a third guy order the words according to English grammar except when he doesn't feel like it.

I'll admit, "Count the number of your sins" is way more epic than "Count your crimes," regardless of translation accuracy.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

V-Men posted:

I'll admit, "Count the number of your sins" is way more epic than "Count your crimes," regardless of translation accuracy.
Over-TimeW-Time had it as "Let's count up your sins." Who the hell had "Count your crimes."

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

V-Men posted:

That is literally the reason I went with it instead. I asked like, five people "Which sounds cooler?" and they all chose sins.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I know it doesn't have subs yet, but I just wanted to say I love Akibaranger. I love it from the bottom of my heart. This is the most wonderful thing in the world.

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
In an abstract sense, sins totally sounds better than crimes, but I always figured that since Double was detective-themed it should be more police like, and also that he told them to list the things they did, not count them. Or as I'd probably write it, "Confess to all your crimes."

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Caphi posted:

In an abstract sense, sins totally sounds better than crimes, but I always figured that since Double was detective-themed it should be more police like, and also that he told them to list the things they did, not count them. Or as I'd probably write it, "Confess to all your crimes."

When Sokichi said it he literally counted up his sins. Like, he numbered them.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Also he's a hard boiled noirish private eye style detective (at least in his own head), not a police detective. Getting confessions in interrogations is more the latter's job.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The concept of sins is also a bit more involved with the series than the concept of crimes. Someone committing a crime is less important to the basic themes than someone doing something 'wrong.'

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Those of you who dropped Wizard before Beast came on really need to pick it back up. The show has been going full pace now for the last several weeks and is getting really good.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

HKR posted:

Those of you who dropped Wizard before Beast came on really need to pick it back up. The show has been going full pace now for the last several weeks and is getting really good.

Listen to this. This is good advice. Go watch Wizard.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

HKR posted:

I didn't drop it because I thought it was boring, though - I dropped it because I thought it was unoriginal and boring.

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Apr 8, 2013

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

I didn't drop it because I thought it was boring, though - I dropped it because I thought it was unoriginal and boring.

Ah, I've stuck with it and I have to agree with the other guys. Nitou/Beast/Mayonaise has injected a lot of fun into what was I felt was a show on a downward slide into boring.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Shame that the show barely seems to want him to be on it itself. Like two arcs after he showed up Haruto gained the ability to clone himself completely three times. And that's not even his final super mode. And now he has another one lined up right after Hyper Beast debuted.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

Isn't that how upgrades are for pretty much every other Rider show?
OOO and Fourze definitely did that too.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax

mikeycp posted:

Yes but most don't set up the main rider's final form literally one episode after the secondary gets his.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Nobuharu is the best Ranger ever :allears:

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

If you don't like Nobou/Kyoryublue, I have no idea why you're still watching Kyoryuger. He's pretty much the best.

Raizor
Apr 23, 2012

DIGITAL

mikeycp posted:

There's usually a little more breathing room, and OOO especially managed to feel less formulaic in how it applied its powerups around this point.

Wizard is kind of a parade of powerups because of how his work, I guess. He started with four forms and has gotten like six more in the time it took W to get two and Fourze to get four. They seem to be setting up for some repercussions to how much power he's got though so this might ultimately pan out for the better once everyone's got their superforms and the show has to rely on its actual plot to keep it interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Monathin posted:

If you don't like Nobou/Kyoryublue, I have no idea why you're still watching Kyoryuger. He's pretty much the best.
"Stop spewing your asinine jokes into my world of sorrow!" :emo:

• Locked thread