Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
So Uglynoodles, Hannah gave us a good scare yesterday too. He was sitting on his play stand perch chilling like usual. Then he just freaks out and hurls himself off it and flutters/crashes to the floor. He starting screaming in pain. I immediately run over and pick him up. He jumps right on my arm and eventually calms down. I frantically looked and nothing was broken. No blood drops on the wall or carpet. He's fine but I figured out what happened.

Something must have went by the window that startled him. It could have been anything. When he jumped off and hit the floor, that knocked out two big feathers that were ready to come out. They must have hurt on their way out. There was no blood and the whole feather came out so I know nothing is stuck in the shaft still, but it must have really hurt them when they popped out.

Poor guy. He rarely gets himself into pickles like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

drat, I forgot to submit some photos to possibly be included in the next Hatoful Boyfriend game, and the deadline was yesterday. There will be no 'Tori or Steve in your pigeon dating sims. :saddowns:

Agent355 posted:

Repost from the PYF gif thread. Thought it would be appreciated here.

ffffff potato 'tiel. :3:

Edit: Oh yeah, speaking of 'tiels, when we came back home today, Steve had fruity pellet breath-apparently he finally is beginning to pick at them while in his cage!

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Apr 7, 2013

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
I forgot about that too. Archer will never get his chance to really impress all the ladies. :smithcloud:

Speaking of which Elle's been presenting whenever Archer does his mating call and he totally ignores her, which is fine because I don't want to be a bird abortionist or something. What makes it :derptiel: is that Archer keeps trying to climb on top of her to have sex whenever she's hanging off the side of the cage and doesn't seems to get why she hates this...

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Being a bird abortionist is a horrible job, but the alternative

is far worse.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Hey that mention with the neat feeder thing, its on sale!

http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/cart.cgi?group=0&child=18682&utm_source=daily+deal++4%2F8%2F13&utm_campaign=DEAL+DAY+4-8&utm_medium=email
ends tomorrow..

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011
So, after much deliberation with my wife and alot of staring at bird sites and all that stuff for awhile. I've decided to get a budgie because holy crap adorableness... Now that being said does anyone know a good breeder in the Toronto area? I don't have a car so as of right now getting to Hamilton is out of the picture. Also not having a car isn't an issue with a vet or anything like that. As long as they dont hurt me for having a bird in a carrier on the subway it's 5 minutes away easily as are the pet stores and such for toys and food.

Funka
Jan 4, 2006
Hi, I'm a lurker and I hope you don't mind me posting here about this, but I was wondering if there are any London-area Bird Crazies looking for a new derp. I have a 1.5 year old female cockatiel and need to leave my home due to domestic violence. I have been emailing the RSPCA to find a temporary refuge, but I feel it would really be best for her to find her a stable and loving forever home where I know she will get the scratches and apples she needs. She's very gentle and derpy, and would probably LOVE to live in a home with other cockatiels. Sorry I don't have PMs but you can please email me at thedudbird at gmail dot com.

The derp:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

FreyaXI posted:

Now that being said does anyone know a good breeder in the Toronto area? I don't have a car so as of right now getting to Hamilton is out of the picture.

Wait, there's a breeder in Hamilton? Hammer good here very interested in non-farmed budgies, again because of the cuteness.

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011
There is one in Hamilton

Whispering Wings Aviary
Jerry & Carol Randell
Hamilton Ontario (Fancy) Budgies

And 2 in Burlington but quite frankly I don't really know how close they are since I literally just moved from Boston to Toronto last weekend.

Edit: Push comes to shove though I'll just have my Mother-in-Law help us pick a lovely budgie up.

Edit#2: Also a quick question. I know using Aerosols around the bird is terrible but would say a warmer work for an air fresshener or does melted wax (Only on if the bird is caged) would cause breathing issues as well? Reason I ask is the people in the apartment above us smoke way to much weed and that covers our apartment if we don't use that stuff.

FreyaXI fucked around with this message at 22:01 on Apr 8, 2013

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

FreyaXI posted:

There is one in Hamilton

Whispering Wings Aviary
Jerry & Carol Randell
Hamilton Ontario (Fancy) Budgies

And 2 in Burlington but quite frankly I don't really know how close they are since I literally just moved from Boston to Toronto last weekend.

Edit: Push comes to shove though I'll just have my Mother-in-Law help us pick a lovely budgie up.

Burlington is almost as far as Hamilton. You'd have to take the GO train to get there. (P.S. Welcome to Toronto.)

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011

Carbon Thief posted:

Burlington is almost as far as Hamilton. You'd have to take the GO train to get there. (P.S. Welcome to Toronto.)

Thanks. We just succumbed to the fact we'd beg my mother in law to help us pick the bird up. (Getting to the vet is simple on the TTC but we'd just have her pick us up at Aldershot and then just go to the breeder otherwise) There SEEMS to be a nice one in Burlington but obviously I'm new to the whole deal but http://www.featheredfriends.ca/ that would be them if anyone has experience or thinks they might be worth checking out.

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you
After a tiny bit of research it looks like if I want to get a good, hand raised bird my best bet would be waiting until September (:() when our local Caged Bird Society holds a fair. My aunt got a parakeet from one a few years ago and he's just adorable and so well behaved so I think it would probably be a better option than swinging by Petsmart and buying whatever they have.

I've kind of got my heart set on a Quaker Parrot. I love how poofy and expressive they are and it looks like they like to snuggle and hang out which is basically exactly what I want in a bird. Now I just need to wait it out and see if I can make it happen or if I wimp out.

I do have a kind of general question for people who let their birds fly around their homes: do you worry about them escaping? For basically my entire life I've been locked in a death struggle with every pet I've owned trying to get outside and running away forever and if I had something that could literally fly away and never be seen again if it managed to slip out an open door or a hole in a screen or whatever I would just be a bundle of nerves at all times.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Dont have the bird out while opening doors. Or windows. I feel pretty safe with my conure, but not so much with the tiels..I get a little bit nervous but the door is about 2 rooms down from where the tiels actually sit so.. still a risk. Not so much a 'OMG FREEDOM DASH FOR IT!' vs a sudden noise/movement thing that surprises them, they bolt and end up going through an open space. And I wouldnt trust budgies either...

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

After a tiny bit of research it looks like if I want to get a good, hand raised bird my best bet would be waiting until September (:() when our local Caged Bird Society holds a fair. My aunt got a parakeet from one a few years ago and he's just adorable and so well behaved so I think it would probably be a better option than swinging by Petsmart and buying whatever they have.

I've kind of got my heart set on a Quaker Parrot. I love how poofy and expressive they are and it looks like they like to snuggle and hang out which is basically exactly what I want in a bird. Now I just need to wait it out and see if I can make it happen or if I wimp out.

I do have a kind of general question for people who let their birds fly around their homes: do you worry about them escaping? For basically my entire life I've been locked in a death struggle with every pet I've owned trying to get outside and running away forever and if I had something that could literally fly away and never be seen again if it managed to slip out an open door or a hole in a screen or whatever I would just be a bundle of nerves at all times.

Just clip their wings if this is your fear. With a little bit of training, they won't even care when you do it. We discussed this previously, but it's a painless and stress-free way to keep your birds safe.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Funka posted:

Hi, I'm a lurker and I hope you don't mind me posting here about this, but I was wondering if there are any London-area Bird Crazies looking for a new derp. I have a 1.5 year old female cockatiel and need to leave my home due to domestic violence. I have been emailing the RSPCA to find a temporary refuge, but I feel it would really be best for her to find her a stable and loving forever home where I know she will get the scratches and apples she needs. She's very gentle and derpy, and would probably LOVE to live in a home with other cockatiels. Sorry I don't have PMs but you can please email me at thedudbird at gmail dot com.

The derp:

Hey Funka, sorry I don't have any ideas on how to help but I wanted to say that it must be difficult giving up your bird friend to get into a safe environment for yourself but you're making the right choice for you and her. Hope everything works out for you.

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Rufous loves to sit in the crook of my arm all poofed up and preen. Both of the Quakers I have known are kind of ocd... They arrange their toys the way they like and if you move them they get hilariously angry about it. They also like to nibble their feet when they are nervous.

Do anyone elses Quakers do this?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J1bFlKZ4tA
Birds.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Rufous loves to sit in the crook of my arm all poofed up and preen. Both of the Quakers I have known are kind of ocd... They arrange their toys the way they like and if you move them they get hilariously angry about it. They also like to nibble their feet when they are nervous.

Do anyone elses Quakers do this?

Nope. Finn doesn't give a single gently caress about anything at all. He doesn't like toys, no matter what kind and how many we give him. He only likes one specific toy that's straw broom looking, but thinner like hair. I buy him those and he preens them to death in less than a week. Anything else? doesn't so much as beak it.

Seconding the puffy, snuggly, friendly nature but something to keep in mind: Quakers bite HARD. Conures tend to bite hard pressure wise but the times that Finn has bitten me his beak pierced straight through my skin with no problem what so ever - they weren't even hard bites. I file the tip of his beak a little now because I've found out that a lot of the time he doesn't MEAN to hold on too hard to something but the sharp beak dicks him over.

ALSO. Quakers have MASSIVE PERSONALITIES. Sometimes you'll get a sweet lump of a bird, sometimes you'll get something horrific that's cage possessive and person possessive and screams. And when quakers scream, boy do they scream: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_1F2YEk9U1Q This isn't even the loudest I've ever heard Finn scream. Just things to keep in mind!

But hey, if you get one, you have this to look forward to!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Funka posted:

The derp:

I wish I could help, losing her because of such a situation is just heartbreaking. She looks very sweet, and like she would get on well with my potatotiel, Steve. I hope things work out for you both.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Oh man I wish we had recorded this, but one dog and one bout of wasting disease ago, our first Sheltie and our cockatoo used to have the best game to watch. Bird would declare that he controlled all the space under the kitchen table and chase off the dog, but the dog being a shepherd wanted nothing more than to make sure the bird stayed under the table. They would literally chase each other in circles for half an hour. Now the bird loves dogs (and believes himself to be their overlord) :3:

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

I hate to do it, but we decided a long time ago to disallow asking for rehomes through PI. On the other hand, we could definitely help you navigate Kijiji and Craigslist to find a good home. Has anyone here ever worked with a bird rescue that did rehoming that way? What are good questions to ask of potential adopters? What kind of keywords can you include in the ad to sort of screen out weirdos that don't know what they're doing?

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So I believe I started doing this out of laziness, definitely not necessity, but when I cut Ritz's veggies on Sundays, I take the stickers from the produce and stick them on the cabinet above the counter:

That's a year's worth of produce stickers, it's about half an inch thick haha.

E; bird pic

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 9, 2013

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
So cockatiel mating season is apparently in full swing at the Slaughterhaus because Anais started butt waving to my iPad and Hunter is definitely a ladytiel because she was buttwaving on the top of her cage today as well. I wonder if the fact that Archer basically has his own harem is why he acts like such hot poo poo all the time.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Oh my, someone took a picture of her baby lovebirds.

Oh dear. :3:

About looking for a rehomer, maybe sort of make sure they know what to buy for the bird, and ask them to send updates? Man I really have no idea what to do if they just up and disappear though. :smith:

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
Big strides last night. Jasper stepped up!

Lol it looks my husband's rocking wood in these gym shorts.

Jasper posed for the camera but it was blurry.

Then Horace didn't want to feel left out.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

That's great progress, especially considering how they were treated by their other owners! It looks like you also got new perches, did it take long for them to realise they weren't Cockatiel Death Devices?

They'll be begging you for head scratches soon enough. :derptiel:

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
They're still extremely trolled by natural wood perches for some reason. Maybe it's because they're more slippery than what the 'tiels are accustomed to? We got a bigger cage with a larger door and a top hatch so we figured that we should just put non-dowel perches in there so they have no choice but to use ones that are better for their feet. They mainly stick to the top rope perch now and occasionally go on one of the sand perches for access to the cuttlebone. The new cage was introduced just on Monday so they still think it's the devil.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
What we have done to get Maru to not be afraid of new toys is to hang a bit of millet near the new toy or perch of death. However sometimes she just leaves the cage and eats the millet from the outside. Its worth it for the entertainment value sometimes.

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011
Well, emailed the breeders. Hopefully I'm on my way to becoming one of you Bird Crazies!

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Hi bird crazies. There is a cockatiel at my local shelter that they have been feeding nothing but bread to (according to the one person I talked to) for a couple of days and they're generally awful at small pet care but jesus christ :cripes:

How sick is this little guy going to be and is there anything I should do to make it a little easier on him? I'm generally not a bird person but for gently caress's sake, they have him labeled as a cockatoo.

E: I'm mostly going to get him so they don't freaking kill him because they are terrible with small animals.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Hi bird crazies. There is a cockatiel at my local shelter that they have been feeding nothing but bread to (according to the one person I talked to) for a couple of days and they're generally awful at small pet care but jesus christ :cripes:

How sick is this little guy going to be and is there anything I should do to make it a little easier on him? I'm generally not a bird person but for gently caress's sake, they have him labeled as a cockatoo.

E: I'm mostly going to get him so they don't freaking kill him because they are terrible with small animals.
Oh my god that is

That is some kind of nirvana level of incompetence there. It's a shelter, not a pet store so look around if anyone wants to get a cockatiel, because frankly they're not that difficult to care for and how could anyone mess up this bad jesus christ. :stare:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Deadly Chlorine posted:

Oh my god that is

That is some kind of nirvana level of incompetence there. It's a shelter, not a pet store so look around if anyone wants to get a cockatiel, because frankly they're not that difficult to care for and how could anyone mess up this bad jesus christ. :stare:

I know I can't empty-quote, but this post right here.

I'm sort of snickering and :catstare:ing at the same time. The bird needs fruit, fresh or even dried, and leafy veggies, and a pellet blend like ZuPreem or Harrison's. Avoid Kaytee, they recall products constantly and their ingredients are a bit rubbish besides.

Even a seed mix (too fatty and lacking essential nutrients, basically birdie junk food) would be a better temporary meal than scraps of bread holy poo poo.

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
What kind of bread? Cockatiels can live on a much larger portion of seeds than many larger birds and bread is just ground grains. If it's unsweetened 100% whole wheat and/or sprouted bread the bird should be fine until someone can fix him up properly with food.

Who am I kidding, it's probably wonderbread.

Lenswork fucked around with this message at 17:46 on Apr 10, 2013

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I know I can't empty-quote, but this post right here.

I'm sort of snickering and :catstare:ing at the same time. The bird needs fruit, fresh or even dried, and leafy veggies, and a pellet blend like ZuPreem or Harrison's. Avoid Kaytee, they recall products constantly and their ingredients are a bit rubbish besides.

Even a seed mix (too fatty and lacking essential nutrients, basically birdie junk food) would be a better temporary meal than scraps of bread holy poo poo.

I can only imagine the limited thought-process that went into this:
"I feed ducks at the pond bread... ducks are birds... THIS is a bird... therefore I should feed it BREAD!" :downs:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Bread is terrible for ducks too (which I'm sure you knew already) and I bet you're right :allears:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yo, Kittens, probating Funka for asking us for help was kind of hosed up.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

This. Are you serious? She's leaving her house because of domestic violence and is having to lose her companion and is trying to find it a good home instead of dealing with the idiots on craigslist. Salt in the wound. Bad form.

EDIT: Less mad, more useful. Funka, you can try looking on petfinder here: http://www.petfinder.com/ and see if there's birds up for adoption near you and then see if those shelters are willing to take new birds maybe? It might be a better use of time to find one that is already trying to adopt out birds than just calling everywhere around you :( Try to avoid cragislist if you can, because lots of people are crazy.

Amaya fucked around with this message at 18:12 on Apr 10, 2013

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

It's one day, and Kittens took away a privilege that Funka doesn't use anyways.

Funka, maybe you can try Birdline UK: http://www.parrot-rescue.org.uk/Parrots/BirdlineParrotRehoming/tabid/169/Default.aspx

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Apr 10, 2013

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

I actually have no idea because one of the workers adopted the little dude before I got there (also known as yesterday, which was not reflected anywhere. Yay!).

However, I do kinda worry it's the worker they have that constantly adopts the small animals with cages and reposts them to craigslist. I asked if they knew about that and they shrugged. I usually don't keep much of an eye on their site, but jesus if they're feeding birds bits of bread (that was all that was in his feed cup, I looked) I'm probably going to watch more closely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I'm looking at the local Gumtree and there's an advert for two bird cages, which come with some "free accessories". One is white with peeling paint, missing the feeder pots so there are uncovered holes in the cage, and comes with a free little finch nest that is visibly covered in bird poo poo. The other is brown and visibly rusty, with some free plastic containers that hook on to the side of the cage. The cage must have been left outside because the bottom is covered in odd looking water. In cm, the first cage is about 15 x 25 x 30, and the second about 35 x 15 x 15. They're advertised as "perfect for birds, parrots, and hamsters".

It sucks because it really is what people often keep canaries, finches, and budgies in here. :(

Admittedly, most people usually at least clean the cage before trying to sell it, with or without birds included. Usually.