Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

I actually have no idea because one of the workers adopted the little dude before I got there (also known as yesterday, which was not reflected anywhere. Yay!).

However, I do kinda worry it's the worker they have that constantly adopts the small animals with cages and reposts them to craigslist. I asked if they knew about that and they shrugged. I usually don't keep much of an eye on their site, but jesus if they're feeding birds bits of bread (that was all that was in his feed cup, I looked) I'm probably going to watch more closely.

What sort of clown show are these people running? :mad:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

AvianPundit posted:

What sort of clown show are these people running? :mad:

I really don't know. I find it odd that the only person who knew he'd been adopted was the one person filling out paperwork for him though.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

CrazyLittle posted:

It's one day, and Kittens took away a privilege that Funka doesn't use anyways.

Funka, maybe you can try Birdline UK: http://www.parrot-rescue.org.uk/Parrots/BirdlineParrotRehoming/tabid/169/Default.aspx

Fair point, but given the poster's situation the probation leaves a bad taste in my mouth. We've had birds rehomed to other goons in the prior thread.

I'll drop it, though. Carry on. :)

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I wanted to make sure my tiel isn't damaging his eyes. We give him free reign over the house with a play stand on top of his cage, his cage open and a play stand in another room but he chooses to chill on top of lamps instead. The play stand on top of the cage is even higher up then any of the lamps in the house.

What I fear is that he is going to mess up his vision, he just sits on top of the lamp even when they are on and the light bulbs are really bright. My vision gets messed up just from looking at the bulb for a second and he sits up there hours.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I've no idea about whether it would mess up his vision (and wouldn't put it past a cockatiel to be derpy enough to do it), but if it worries you maybe find somewhere else for him to perch? Try to figure out why he likes lamps-the warmth, the shape under his feet, the view, the convenience-and replicate that elsewhere? Or make somewhere else more appealing? Otherwise, just turn the one he's currently sitting on off?

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I love mysafebirdstore :3:

Shipping so fassst. And its always packaged like you are receiving a christmas present. Candy and wrapping paper! I bought a small bag of the Bountiful harvest http://www.mysafebirdstore.com/cart.cgi?group=537&child=1569 it looks like trailmix and I want to eat it... my birds arent a big fan of chunky dried fruit things in general but they seem to be picking at it. So, thats a recommendation from me! Im gunna try the hookbill supreme next time I have to order bird food.

That tidyfeeder is neat though. Does not hold a lot of food but I probably shouldnt be putting so much out at a time anyway. I'm used to leaving a whole cup of pellets out to last them days. It looks seem kinda..small though, and my birds hate each other so only one bird can eat in there at a time. I already use several other feeding stations though (maybe I should have bought 2?) They cant turn around as easy to get out..havent figured out the see through acrylic yet and are biting the sides lololol so I had to put them in there. And couldnt figure out how to get out. Birds

Q-sixtysix
Jun 4, 2005

Hey I just just heard through my social network of forum activists that Funka was probated?

Free Funka, someone take that bird also please

e: looks like it's already up. SMART MOVE, KITTENS

Q-sixtysix fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Apr 10, 2013

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

May I refer you all to rule #2 in the rules thread? I agree, he/she is in a lovely situation, but you don't try and rehome your animals through Pet Island because that poo poo goes downhill fast. This is not the venue for this conversation, unless this suddenly became the Bird Crazies: Ban Me For Mod Sass thread.

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Pile of Kittens posted:

May I refer you all to rule #2 in the rules thread? I agree, he/she is in a lovely situation, but you don't try and rehome your animals through Pet Island because that poo poo goes downhill fast. This is not the venue for this conversation, unless this suddenly became the Bird Crazies: Ban Me For Mod Sass thread.

Yeah that's why I brought it up actually. "No "adopt my/this animal" threads. That's what http://www.petfinder.org or http://www.adoptapet.com are for." they didn't make a thread about it, they just asked for help. I didn't see how reaching out for help was breaking that rule but you're the boss lady so you're right. My bad.

BACK TO BIRDS.

Marceline has, for the most part, stopped plucking I think? But I'm having a hard time keeping track of what feathers were there yesterday and aren't there today. I've been bathing her once or twice a day and spending a lot of time with her but I think maybe she's lonely in general? I was thinking of perhaps putting Finn in the same cage as her. They get along really well and stay in the same cage together when we go on trips and like to cuddle. They're not the same species so no worry about babies (that's why Marshall was ruled out) but what do people think about this solution? I read that sometimes other birds in the same cage can stress a bird out MORE? Looking up information about this is hyper frustrating because a lot of the info clashes from site to site.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Rosy and Ama share a cage, actually, and have for a few months. They never really interact, but when one is out of sight the other gets all dismayed and fluttery. They have separate food and water dishes, but share any treats that I give them and take turns bathing and using the "best" perches. Ama even shares his playgym with her now, which he never used to do :3:

ETA: I work many more hours now than I did in New York, and I'm sure they enjoy having each others' company while there are no humans around. Marci and Finn might feel the same. :)

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Apr 11, 2013

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011
This is starting to make me sad. Seems like the breeders I emailed (And the most convenient ones for me to convince my mother in law to cart me to) Don't seem to actually exist anymore or what have you and it looks like I'm gonna have to get a pet store bird if worse comes to worse.-

FreyaXI fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Apr 11, 2013

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

There's always adoption! Adopting two older birds was the best decision I've ever made. Laid back, established personalities post-puberty, and super snuggly. Chiyo (bird I hand-raised from two weeks of age) is a year and a half old and still a ball of constant and impatient energy.

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
So my tiel is finally associating specific words with events. Normally he says stuff at random but I've taught him to say Hey Buddy to anyone who walks in the front door. Next is to get him to say good night when we go to cover his cage at night.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010
We're getting pretty close to pooping on command, and aborting poops in progress until we can move her to a "poop approved" zone (A.K.A. the hardwood floor). It's very exciting stuff.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Marshmallow Blue posted:

aborting poops in progress

I always feel super badly when I do this to Amadeus. He's potty-trained, but gets confused sometimes: for example, he's allowed to perch on the left side of my desk and poop whenever he wants, willy-nilly, free as a bird if you'll pardon the expression, since I have a trash can there. But when he sits on the right side of the desk he thinks he can poop there too, gets whisked up onto my finger instead and hears "Ah-no-no!" and awkwardly quivers until I can bring him over the trash can and say "take your poop."

Poor little dude.

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

I always feel super badly when I do this to Amadeus. He's potty-trained, but gets confused sometimes: for example, he's allowed to perch on the left side of my desk and poop whenever he wants, willy-nilly, free as a bird if you'll pardon the expression, since I have a trash can there. But when he sits on the right side of the desk he thinks he can poop there too, gets whisked up onto my finger instead and hears "Ah-no-no!" and awkwardly quivers until I can bring him over the trash can and say "take your poop."

Poor little dude.

Yeah I feel bad too, I would hate for someone to do that to me. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer has to go and by the time he finds a place the "window of opportunity" is already closed.

Carbon Thief
Oct 11, 2009

Diamonds aren't the only things that are forever.

FreyaXI posted:

This is starting to make me sad. Seems like the breeders I emailed (And the most convenient ones for me to convince my mother in law to cart me to) Don't seem to actually exist anymore or what have you and it looks like I'm gonna have to get a pet store bird if worse comes to worse.-
Some ideas:

Parrot Sanctuary of Toronto has budgies listed for adoption right now.
Parrotdise Perch is a bird specialty store in Mississauga; they might be able to get you in touch with breeders.
I've never been to either of these stores, but they might be worth a visit if you're stuck buying from a shop:
Menagerie Pet Shop is one of the few downtown Toronto shops with birds and bird supplies. They are "more than happy to entertain any reasonable special requests for birds. We only sell locally bred birds."
Perry's Pet Mart in Mississauga claims to have hand-tamed budgies.

Hope some of that helps? The humane society sometimes gets birds, too, but they don't have any listed for adoption today.

FreyaXI
May 1, 2011

Carbon Thief posted:

Some ideas:

Parrot Sanctuary of Toronto has budgies listed for adoption right now.
Parrotdise Perch is a bird specialty store in Mississauga; they might be able to get you in touch with breeders.
I've never been to either of these stores, but they might be worth a visit if you're stuck buying from a shop:
Menagerie Pet Shop is one of the few downtown Toronto shops with birds and bird supplies. They are "more than happy to entertain any reasonable special requests for birds. We only sell locally bred birds."
Perry's Pet Mart in Mississauga claims to have hand-tamed budgies.

Hope some of that helps? The humane society sometimes gets birds, too, but they don't have any listed for adoption today.

Thank you so much! Though funny enough one of the breeders that was in Burlington called today. They moved to Beamsville recently for a bigger aviary it seems. My Mother-In-Law loves the area so I manage to convince her to whisk us over that way in return for a dinner and some quality time with us. But know that Menagerie is pretty close by I might have to swing by there next weekend when I have time.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I was talking on the phone, and Ohtori was out of his cage. He climbed down on to the desk in front of me, I started to pet him, and he seemed content with this. He was distracting while trying to talk so I slowed down, then stopped. He banged his beak a bit but no more petting came. So, he slowly walked over to my laptop and stood next to it as I watched him, in case he tried to eat the remainder of my tablet pen. Instead, very deliberately, he reached over-and in one smooth movement snapped the right arrow key off my keyboard then stood there with it in his break, staring. He's never done managed to pull one off before.

The entire time, he never broke eye contact with me :stare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Marshmallow Blue posted:

Yeah I feel bad too, I would hate for someone to do that to me. It reminds me of the Seinfeld episode when Kramer has to go and by the time he finds a place the "window of opportunity" is already closed.

LITERALLY A BIRD posted:

But when he sits on the right side of the desk he thinks he can poop there too, gets whisked up onto my finger instead and hears "Ah-no-no!" and awkwardly quivers until I can bring him over the trash can and say "take your poop."

You and your takes-a-bit to poop birds. Mindo it's just one quick shot with typically no warning.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

H110Hawk posted:

You and your takes-a-bit to poop birds. Mindo it's just one quick shot with typically no warning.

Pooks is quite readable when it comes to pooping - she gets a sort of vacant look on her face when one is coming which is usually enough time to move her somewhere better if there is someone around to notice the look, otherwise it's floorpoops and wiping up.

She's a bit hormonal at the moment, she keeps trying to feed me except she's scabby with the actual food so it's mostly a bit of regurgitation that she swallows herself (which I'm quite happy about). Funny story: we were watching that video of the woman with the ring-neck where they are sticking their tongues out at each other and the woman keeps laughing, which makes the ring-neck laugh, which made me laugh, which made Pookie laugh. So we had this weird funny circle of people-parrot laughter.

Edit: this video -https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvRzAUNlXt0

Edit: to clarify Pookie is not covered in dried on food, "scabby" is irish/english slang for being miserly about something.

Pookah fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Apr 11, 2013

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Battle Pigeon posted:

Edit: Oh yeah, speaking of 'tiels, when we came back home today, Steve had fruity pellet breath-apparently he finally is beginning to pick at them while in his cage!

You know you are a true-blue bird crazy when you recognise changes in your bird's eating habits by the quality of their breath. This is a good and honorable thing.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
I'm so sorry to jump in again and turn this cute thread back into a downer. I managed to convince my roommate that he needs to do more research into the practical, every day care of a bird. He's been quite keen, which makes me happy. But then he said to me, "Wow, a lot can go wrong with a bird. I'm glad I'm just getting a cheap one!" WTF!!!

Anyways, sorry, I've come seeking advice again. I'm still planning on feeding the bird much of what I eat. I originally thought the bird would have to eat everything raw, before it was cooked up and seasoned, but it looks like cooked food and seasonings are totally fine, as long as it's not something that the bird can't eat? Like, I could literally feed the bird bits of my dinner? And it's sounding like birds all have different food preferences, so I should just experiment and encourage the bird to eat absolutely everything (with a focus on vitamin A and calcium)?

On a related note, my roommate is saying you should only feed a young bird seed. I already know that a seed-based diet is not good for a bird. He also says you should NOT introduce other foods into a bird's diet until it's about a year old. Is this true? Are young birds like young humans, where they need new foods introduced gradually? Or should they be fed a variety of foods early on to discourage fussy eating?

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Most birds bred at least somewhat responsibly have been weaned on pellets in addition to fresh food so that's not true at all.

Unlike dogs it's generally considered a good idea to share food with your birds. It's good bonding and socializing for them, especially if they don't have another birdy buddy. I usually eat dinner with Charlie. If what I'm eating has some veggies or isn't just a plate of meat I'll give him some otherwise I'll make a little bowl of veggies or something for him. So yeah, you can give a bird some of your dinner, just don't let them eat like cheeseburgers or something unless it's like a tiny nibble.

Unrelated, I have the tiels out now and I couldn't figure out where Elle went so I called her name and this happened:

I never knew she could be so stealthy.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

electricgoat posted:

On a related note, my roommate is saying you should only feed a young bird seed. I already know that a seed-based diet is not good for a bird. He also says you should NOT introduce other foods into a bird's diet until it's about a year old. Is this true? Are young birds like young humans, where they need new foods introduced gradually? Or should they be fed a variety of foods early on to discourage fussy eating?
Not true (what, does he think adult birds feed seeds to their young?)

Tasty_Crayon
Jul 29, 2006
Same story, different version.

electricgoat posted:

Like, I could literally feed the bird bits of my dinner?

Ahahahaha, you are likely to find a bird in your dinner, helping itself.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

Tasty_Crayon posted:

Ahahahaha, you are likely to find a bird in your dinner, helping itself.

The only way I can keep squirt away from my dinner is by shutting him in his cage, which we try not to do, because its hilarious watching how sneaky he tries to be when attempting to steal the food.

Which brings up another point. He loves chicken. Should I discourage him eating his cousins?

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Frogmanv2 posted:

The only way I can keep squirt away from my dinner is by shutting him in his cage, which we try not to do, because its hilarious watching how sneaky he tries to be when attempting to steal the food.

Which brings up another point. He loves chicken. Should I discourage him eating his cousins?

I'm pretty sure chickens are about as close to parrots as pork is to humans.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

electricgoat posted:

I'm so sorry to jump in again and turn this cute thread back into a downer. I managed to convince my roommate that he needs to do more research into the practical, every day care of a bird. He's been quite keen, which makes me happy. But then he said to me, "Wow, a lot can go wrong with a bird. I'm glad I'm just getting a cheap one!" WTF!!!

Anyways, sorry, I've come seeking advice again. I'm still planning on feeding the bird much of what I eat. I originally thought the bird would have to eat everything raw, before it was cooked up and seasoned, but it looks like cooked food and seasonings are totally fine, as long as it's not something that the bird can't eat? Like, I could literally feed the bird bits of my dinner? And it's sounding like birds all have different food preferences, so I should just experiment and encourage the bird to eat absolutely everything (with a focus on vitamin A and calcium)?

I want to punch this man in his face so hard. It's true that you shouldn't feed everything to a young bird, but that means feeding it until 2 months old or 4 months old with bird baby formula depending on what species it is. In fact the best way to get a bird introduced to new foods is when it's young, you just need to make it into smaller pieces because baby birds are a little derp.

gently caress I also really hate the "it's just a small bird, I'll upgrade to a macaw one day" mentality, a lot of friends joke about trading their small birds for a eclectus or whatever, but they really really love them and each one is special in his or her way. :unsmith:

@Battle Pigeon, he's showing you what he plans to do to you, one day. :stare:

Also I used to feel bad about eating chicken and duck since I love birds, but they're far from birds like penguins, toucans or parrots, so meh. It's just like us eating pork or beef or whatever. Also ducks are all assholes and I do not regret.

Deadly Chlorine fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Apr 12, 2013

Sapphaholic
Mar 21, 2008

Delicious.

Frogmanv2 posted:

Whenever I give my budgie some egg, I tell her that her brother is delicious and that she should try some. I also tell her I'm going to microwave her and eat her for dinner because of the whole "budgerigar/good to eat" thing, and then as she's giving me kisses for it I'll apologize with a, "You'd be full of too many tiny little bones anyway, like balut!"

Edit:

Deadly Chlorine posted:

gently caress I also really hate the "it's just a small bird, I'll upgrade to a macaw one day" mentality, a lot of friends joke about trading their small birds for a eclectus or whatever, but they really really love them and each one is special in his or her way.
Ugh, me too. I ultimately chose a budgie because they were inexpensive and easier to take care of than one of the large parrots. While I do want to get a conure or a caique one day, that day will come many years down the road when Noodle's passed on. I love that little bird and it'll break my heart when her time comes. :smith:

Sapphaholic fucked around with this message at 06:49 on Apr 12, 2013

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

ben liftington
Jul 7, 2004

This is not my bird. I went to a nearby parrot sanctuary recently and this girl (or guy, I can't really tell with Hyacinths) kind of broke my glasses while prying a little piece of metal off the plastic arm. She dropped the metal bit once I got her to step up, and started nibbling on my fingers instead. Underneath the perch she had been on were tons of broken zipper pulls, unidentifiable bits of plastic and gnawed-off bits of wood from the perch. She must enjoy breaking anything small enough to fit in her beak. The sanctuary also had an African Grey who was very interested in my boyfriend's tattoos (a small one behind each ear and a slightly bigger one on the back of the neck) and did not understand why she was unable to pull the tattoos off. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of that because it was adorable! I'd never seen a parrot react to tattoos before.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

ben liftington posted:

This is not my bird. I went to a nearby parrot sanctuary recently and this girl (or guy, I can't really tell with Hyacinths) kind of broke my glasses while prying a little piece of metal off the plastic arm. She dropped the metal bit once I got her to step up, and started nibbling on my fingers instead. Underneath the perch she had been on were tons of broken zipper pulls, unidentifiable bits of plastic and gnawed-off bits of wood from the perch. She must enjoy breaking anything small enough to fit in her beak. The sanctuary also had an African Grey who was very interested in my boyfriend's tattoos (a small one behind each ear and a slightly bigger one on the back of the neck) and did not understand why she was unable to pull the tattoos off. I'm sorry I didn't get a picture of that because it was adorable! I'd never seen a parrot react to tattoos before.

Yeah, they basically try to preen off anything that is not uniform, because well, skin is the same as feathers right??? :downs:

Oh my god I've never handled a hyacinth macaw before, they look completely beautiful. Yeah they really love to take apart things, which is why you need to keep them in an ultra strong cage if you're keeping it in a cage because they will completely destroy weaker macaw cages.

^^Oh my god I will never get tired of that cockatiel pecking things.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCnHmqX3kZM

Same cockatiel pecking a different can!

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

electricgoat posted:

Like, I could literally feed the bird bits of my dinner?

You'll quickly find you don't often have a choice in the matter.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Battle Pigeon posted:

You'll quickly find you don't often have a choice in the matter.

When I was growing up, my dad has a cockatiel who had it's own place at the table. Plate & dinner mat. We would serve it a little bit of what we were eating (like some pasta noodles) but sometimes it would much rather like our stuff instead and steal bites.

edit:We didn't pick it up and place it at the table. We opened the cage,it would fly through the house, and land on the table ready to served.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
My favorite is when you put some food on a plate next to you for your bird and your bird still feels the need to sneak up on it like it's trying to steal it from you.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I've heard it speculated that it's a evolutionary survival mechanism: if your flockmates are eating something and they haven't died yet, it's probably safe and good for you to eat, too!

And then you have a bunch of birds fighting over that one particular best bit in a field of otherwise identical bits, because :derptiel:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
My old lovebird would eat at the table with us and somehow it knew to use napkins to clean its beak.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
I can't wait for our birds to start eating with us!

Weird question. When we let the cockatiels out of the cage, they flutter into the walls. I say flutter because their wings are clipped and they're not actually flying. They're just sort of gliding and they can't seem to control precisely where they're going.

But banging into walls can't be good for them! Horace bumped into one pretty hard last night and got really scared afterwards. How do we make it stop? Why didn't they learn the first few times that walls are painful? It's like they're kamikaze birds!

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 16:38 on Apr 13, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

:supaburn: :allears: :swoon:

I just got some beautiful artwork in the mail from Battle Pigeon of my birds! I am so excited! They are gorgeous! :parrot: :derptiel: Gonna frame them and put them on my desk at work so I can be with my birds 24/7 and be a TRUE BIRD CRAZY :byodame:

Pip pip pip fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 13, 2013