Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Say what you want about the Infinity costume, but something inside you is broken if you don't like the giant axe that you high five.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

mikeycp posted:

Say what you want about the Infinity costume, but something inside you is broken if you don't like the giant axe that you high five.

I was so not prepared for "HIGH-FIVE!! :buddy:" but I'm glad it happened. I want it and a Medagaburyu just for ridiculous axe-voice shenanigans now.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

JT Smiley posted:

Man, I seriously can not wait to see this trainwreck in action. Combining Gosei and Gokai together would be hard enough for competent writers, I can't even imagine what the people behind Samurai bring us.

At PR level writing, it's not too hard as long as the Gosei suits are ditched. Otherwise, there'd be a lot of in suit filming done.

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

Xelkelvos posted:

At PR level writing, it's not too hard as long as the Gosei suits are ditched.

About that...

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

After 20 years they still haven't learned.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Cliff Racer posted:

Whats that, someone who's only had an intro episode and one focus episode isn't interesting yet? I find it interesting that someone has a problem with the villains too, since they have a lot more personality than a lot of the past's villains. I dunno, maybe because I've just picked a run of shows with blander villains to watch.

It's hard to come after Enter, even when they're using Bandora's shtick.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
So I started in on watching Shinkenger, and I'm liking a lot of the cast, but how long until Red stops being an arrogant dick? He's really dragging the show down for me.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
Really? I actually like how stoic he was compared to the string of obnoxious red we got before him.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

jivjov posted:

So I started in on watching Shinkenger, and I'm liking a lot of the cast, but how long until Red stops being an arrogant dick? He's really dragging the show down for me.

How arrogant is arrogant, because the retainers see his good side really early (like 4 episodes in?) and he's pretty much a goofball with a tough exterior (For god's sake, he's afraid of haunted houses).

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Probably not until Gold shows up.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

He's shown to be a nice guy inside way before gold shows up.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Alright, I'm only 3 episodes in so far. If they start presenting him as less of an aloof rear end soon, I'll be content.

In other Shinkenger news, I really cannot decide if I like the helmets or not. The symbol-visors look too...bulbous in places, especially Yellow.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

jivjov posted:

Alright, I'm only 3 episodes in so far. If they start presenting him as less of an aloof rear end soon, I'll be content.

In other Shinkenger news, I really cannot decide if I like the helmets or not. The symbol-visors look too...bulbous in places, especially Yellow.

I'm a big fan of their designs, but I'll admit Yellow's is a bit wanting. I think that's just due to her Kanji being the most boring. It's just 土. Not many ways to stylize that on a helmet and make it look cool, I suppose, but the rest IMO look great.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
I know it's been a looong time since W was on the air, but I'm wondering if any of you guys know where I could look for Gaia Memories. I'm guessing they've been discontinued, but I need to expand my collection. Definitely don't mind buying used, but even on Ebay, pickings are slim.

In current toku talk: after the last episode of Wizard, I'm holding out hope for a weapon that's activated with a fist bump.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I'm also starting to see why people dog on TV-Nihon's subs. I honestly prefer their Gokaiger ones, but man...they leave a LOT of random Japanese in the Shinkenger ones. Is that due to the glorious Nippon-ness of the source material, or is it just TVN being TVN?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

jivjov posted:

I'm also starting to see why people dog on TV-Nihon's subs. I honestly prefer their Gokaiger ones, but man...they leave a LOT of random Japanese in the Shinkenger ones. Is that due to the glorious Nippon-ness of the source material, or is it just TVN being TVN?

This should answer your questions.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

jivjov posted:

It's TVN being TVN. There's a reason why I'm waiting the long wait for OverTime to have time for Shinkenger.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I can sorta see the idea behind leaving attack names in Japanese, and it's not enough to completely turn me off the show, but yeah, other than Gokaiger, I'm going to be avoiding TVN.

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."
TVN tend to be at their worst when it comes to shows that are more based around Japanese culture, using it as an excuse to leave stuff even more untranslated than normal. The Hibiki arc during Decade was really bad, and I dread seeing what they did with Hibiki itself.

Also for Shinkenger in particular there is a wide variety of attacks in a short amount of time, so a lot of attack names to remember the meaning for- when they actually translate the meaning right. And I hope you're okay with lots of moving and spinning graphics to go with those attacks, because they really go all out with their text effects for this show.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I actually am in the minority that likes the text effects. That's why I like their Gokaiger subs, with the logos of the Sentai team whenever they Gokai Change, etc.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Specifically: http://onoretvn.tumblr.com/tagged/shinkenger
I've seen captchas easier to read.

I'd rather watch Power Rangers Samurai than watch TVN's version again. Better off watching the raws.

Rena
Aug 21, 2012

"Things are...disasterrific."
I do like their effects during Decade, and am open to effects for subs when done well. I haven't seen Gokaiger yet, so this might just be a personal taste thing, but I find the Shinkenger ones ugly and often lazy. But again if you find them okay more power to you.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I honestly couldn't stand them back then because a lot of the time it made the text hard to read.

OZC
Jan 28, 2008

Needs More Jazz posted:

I know it's been a looong time since W was on the air, but I'm wondering if any of you guys know where I could look for Gaia Memories. I'm guessing they've been discontinued, but I need to expand my collection. Definitely don't mind buying used, but even on Ebay, pickings are slim.

Any memories you are looking for in particular? There's a few options for them depending on exactly what you want. One thing I can say is to avoid the candy toy memories. The speaker quality is total poo poo.

You should be able to find some of the gashapon memories and DX memory gadgets/weapons (Accel + Accel Driver, Fang, Xtreme, Trigger Magnum, Metal Shaft, Bat Shot, etc.) at a decent price since W is airing in Hong Kong, or recently wrapped up if it's not still on the air. For other stuff, like Skull + the Skull Magnum and Eternal + Lost Driver, your best bet is Mandarake or Yahoo Japan Auctions via a middleman service like Rider Proxy or Tenso.com.

If you want Dopant memories, you'll have to get almost all of from the Premium set. eBay is really the only choice I've found, but expect to pay quite a bit for them there since they are sold individually. Otherwise you can find the Terror memory with assorted Dopant sounds, or the Memory memory from Movie War Core in a pack with the black OOO medals pretty cheap on Mandarake.

Lastly, avoid the Korean memories like the plague unless you aren't attached to the voice clips of the Japanese version. The show was fully redubbed, and as such, the Korean memories have different voice clips. They can come in handy if you find a beat up Japanese memory like Fang as you can swap the electronics into a new condition body, or get a cheap Trigger Magnum if you have the Super Best/Complete Selection W Driver that has all 6 DX memories, since the Korean DX Trigger memory, I sold mine for $24 on eBay and paid $35 for the whole weapon set with shipping.

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

mikeycp posted:

It's TVN being TVN. There's a reason why I'm waiting the long wait for OverTime to have time for Shinkenger.

I guess because Shinkenanon has given up?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

V-Men posted:

I guess because Shinkenanon has given up?

Seeing as he's working with us, gonna say that is not an accurate statement.

e:

Have you seen Gokaiger? Are you not watching GARO: The One Who Shines in the Darkness? Do you miss this Gai?

Come on over to the thread. Ep2 has just dropped, and it's still totally newbie friendly.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Apr 19, 2013

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009

OZC posted:

[Gaia Memory Stuff]

Thanks for the info! I'm trying to track down the DX memories, and I knew nothing about the middlemen sites. That's going to make my search a lot easier.

I'm just glad I can avoid dropping 15 bucks, plus 20 bucks shipping on a random T2 Memory on eBay. I love my plastic noisemakers, but not that much...

Markovnikov
Nov 6, 2010
Hey OT guyy, I know OT is really busy what with 4 shows running at the same time, but will we eventually get those translation notes for Akibaranger? I actually liked those V:shobon:V

Also, I'm finishing Kamen Rider W, which KR should I watch next (I've already watched Fourze/I'm watching Wizard)? I see most KR's are only available from TVN, ugh.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I'd say OOO or Agito would probably be your best bets once you're done with W.

Parmesan Basil
Nov 12, 2008

TIME IS THE FIRE IN WHICH WE BURN THE GAME CLOCK
The worst thing about TVN has always been the font they use for the Taros. It's just horrendous and I get irrationally furious when I see it.

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
No, getting furious at TV-N is perfectly rational.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Markovnikov posted:

Hey OT guyy, I know OT is really busy what with 4 shows running at the same time, but will we eventually get those translation notes for Akibaranger? I actually liked those V:shobon:V

Yes. (Also there's at least five of us on the forums, though not all under the names you're expecting.)

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

AzraelNewtype posted:

Seeing as he's working with us, gonna say that is not an accurate statement.

Didn't know that. Even better.

Monathin
Sep 1, 2011

?????????
?

Yeah, from what I remember, most of the various notable solo subbers ended up working with most of the bigger groups. Megaanon I think is working with Grown Ups In Spandex right now? I dunno where Ryuganon went to offhand, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing work with you guys at O-T.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Monathin posted:

Yeah, from what I remember, most of the various notable solo subbers ended up working with most of the bigger groups. Megaanon I think is working with Grown Ups In Spandex right now? I dunno where Ryuganon went to offhand, but I wouldn't be surprised if he's doing work with you guys at O-T.

I think MegaAnon is doing QC work for GUIS but is primarily working with MillionFoldCuriosity doing Goseiger and eventually Megaranger.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

HKR posted:

I think MegaAnon is doing QC work for GUIS but is primarily working with MillionFoldCuriosity doing Goseiger and eventually Megaranger.

MegaAnon's QC on O-T's Kyolug, too.

Ryuganon was actually Kilowog of MCS, but he gave up on scrubbing Blade and Ryuki really early on. He's primarily working for KITsubs now.

toomanyninjas
Feb 10, 2005

DOGOLD, I WANT YOU TO CALL AN AM-BOO-LANCE AND WHEN THEY GET HUR I WANT YOU TO TELL THEM TO
KEEP SMILING!
Kyoryu #10 was a lot less than I was expecting, actually.

Though Utsemimaru's little dance made me laugh even more than the samba did the first time.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
How is the announcer not dead yet?

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dr Tran posted:

How is the announcer not dead yet?

Sonny Chiba's been doing this poo poo for decades, why are people still surprised?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perigryn
Oct 22, 2010

TaJaaaaadoruuuuu

AzraelNewtype posted:

Sonny Chiba's been doing this poo poo for decades, why are people still surprised?
The man narrated Hokuto No Ken. That automatically makes him tougher than most announcers.

• Locked thread