Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Malalol posted:

Okay! Got a video of Cody the green cheek being noisy. Its like this pretty drat often...I think more so when theres "bg" noise... people talking, doing stuff, TV on... but through out the day, same noise, just less frequent (a few seconds in between each squawking)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Opqlz6uCg2k

Its so annoying :(

So squeaky! I'll get one of Ohtori calling and screaming tomorrow for comparison. Does he have radio or any background noises where he is?

Wizard of Smart posted:

Sure I'll do it! I apparently need your email address for your account, though. You can email me at my forums name (as one long word) at gmail.

Sweet, will do!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Malalol posted:

Well..Its been 2 hours since I've gotten home and hes still at it. But now theres absolutely nothing around, no tv, no people, all quiet. Just him.

Tidyseed review update... I dont have it sitting flush with the top of the cage, theres a few inches of room where the birds can get on it and stand. So they like to stand on it and take poops and get it smeared all over the plastic. And feets. Ugh. It seems to keep a good amount of pellets from getting wasted though! Not so much the bigger chunks, I see see them getting thrown out on the bottom of the cage but... improvement. Still seeing pellets like a foot away from the cage so, I have no idea. birds

I wish my 'too was anywhere near that quiet. If he is pissed about something (namely being more than 6 ft away and out of sight of a human) he can yell for two hours straight at several times that volume level, and his yells are long, sustained, and one tone. Still, you can try a few things. You can spritz him with a spray bottle so he has to preen, put on the TV, or put a new scary toy in the cage. Otherwise birds are loud and, like children, rarely care about your wants or desires.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.

Eejit posted:

I wish my 'too was anywhere near that quiet. If he is pissed about something (namely being more than 6 ft away and out of sight of a human) he can yell for two hours straight at several times that volume level, and his yells are long, sustained, and one tone. Still, you can try a few things. You can spritz him with a spray bottle so he has to preen, put on the TV, or put a new scary toy in the cage. Otherwise birds are loud and, like children, rarely care about your wants or desires.

Uh, don't do this. Many birds love, love, LOVE being squirted with water and squirting them will actually train the bird to scream in order to get the reward they want. If you're going to squirt a bird it should be done when they are being quiet so the desired behavior is the one that gets rewarded.

e. also, if the bird is one that does not like being squirted, do not squirt them for screaming at all. Neither positive punishment (applying something as a punishment to decrease an unwanted behavior) or negative reinforcement (the removal of an unpleasant thing to reward a wanted behavior) are recommended for parrots as they are very stressful. http://trainedparrot.com/?bid=54

platedlizard fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 16, 2013

Opera Bitch
Sep 28, 2004

Let me lull you to sleep with my sweet song!

Plus if you spritz him when he screams he won't necessarily equate it with " I am wet I must preen now," but rather "WTF is my flock mate doing" or "this is bad I don't like this."

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

platedlizard posted:

Uh, don't do this. Many birds love, love, LOVE being squirted with water and squirting them will actually train the bird to scream in order to get the reward they want. If you're going to squirt a bird it should be done when they are being quiet so the desired behavior is the one that gets rewarded.

e. also, if the bird is one that does not like being squirted, do not squirt them for screaming at all. Neither positive punishment (applying something as a punishment to decrease an unwanted behavior) or negative reinforcement (the removal of an unpleasant thing to reward a wanted behavior) are recommended for parrots as they are very stressful. http://trainedparrot.com/?bid=54

Yeah I don't make a pattern of it, but I keep it as a tool in my toolbox for dealing with angry birdie. Mostly we use this when he is completely off the hook, not if he's just been screaming for 15 minutes, more like after an hour, so that even further decreases its use rate. Also, because we know the bird screams partly because he wants out, we actually do take him out of the cage and then hose him down so that there isn't a direct link between getting sprayed and screaming. We're not going to dent his "I scream because I want out" thought process by doing or not doing the act of opening the cage.

I mean the bird is going to scream, he's a loving cockatoo and probably a third of his tiny bird brain is devoted to making noise, so we just manage what we can. Ignoring him (which we know is negative punishment, ie removal of the attention he desires which he tries to get by screaming) is usually quite effective and he often gives up after a bit, but when the bird goes off the rails, sometimes you have to take a step beyond ignoring for your own sanity, especially if it's while I'm working or can't simply remove myself far away enough from the bird to find a happy place.

Sorry to sperg I guess, but we are actually pretty aware of how we're interacting with the bird.

e: I guess I wasn't clear, hopefully the above elaborates more on my approach. Spritz = several squirts out of the mist bottle outside the cage so that he's wet enough to preen or fluff up and we purposefully disconnect it from the screaming behavior. The best overall approach is ignoring, but I am just presenting some of my sanity management strategies that I occasionally employ, not regularly used behavior modification techniques.

Eejit fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Apr 16, 2013

Clinton1011
Jul 11, 2007
I don't know if this is a good method or not but when my tiel starts doing his panic shrieks when I am out of the room I just whistle really loud and long. He almost always shuts up after that, I think he gets intimidated thinking there is a much more bad rear end bird near by.

The other method that works great is turning on the radio or a tv station that plays music. I use the kids song channel or something with a lot of odd sounds.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Clinton1011 posted:

I don't know if this is a good method or not but when my tiel starts doing his panic shrieks when I am out of the room I just whistle really loud and long. He almost always shuts up after that, I think he gets intimidated thinking there is a much more bad rear end bird near by.

The other method that works great is turning on the radio or a tv station that plays music. I use the kids song channel or something with a lot of odd sounds.

Yeah, he just wants to know where you are, and in the wild silence means that there's Something Bad that everyone else knows about nearby (which is why everyone is being quiet). So having a constant level of noise from a TV or radio can help too. If his vocalizations escalate then you might have a problem, but it sounds like he just wants to check in with you.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
I dont know what hes doing. And Ive tried replying back to him- mostly in soft voices, or sounds. Sometimes it works and causes him to respond back, most of the time..not really. And he'll keep doing it. When I posted that video of the noise, there were people in the other room talking. And the tv was on... I feel like noise encourages his own behavior. I do talk back to the cockatiels though when they flock call and it seems to work pretty well. Not with him. :(

Man I'm glad I dont have a cockatoo. I mean.. I picked a pyhurra specifically. And at work I ended up absolutely HATING aratingas. I can't stand them. The noise is so painful and having to clean/feed them means being only a few feet away and I just want to punch all of them. BIRDS Y DONT U GO DEAF i dont know how bigger bird owners manage.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

Malalol posted:

When I posted that video of the noise, there were people in the other room talking.

Not sure if this helps or not, but Ozzy flips his poo poo whenever he hears people talking in the hallway outside our apartment. There is basically no consoling him until they leave or shut up :sigh: He also gets pretty riled up when he can hear us talking in another room but can't see us. It's not really a huge issue though because we hang out in the living room with the birds 90% of the time when we are home.

Maybe it would help to move his cage to where people are hanging out and talking. If he feels like he is part of the group, maybe he would be more calm.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
The cage is against a wall and its about.. uh. 3-4 yards away from people..? I'm trying to really see what is going on when he starts making noise.. he was generally quiet after that 2 hours today..I took a nap and when I went out there, he started being noisy again. It semi piped down until someone else walked through again. But right now, the tv is on, someone is watching and its all quiet. ? ? ?

I can't see this working out in the future.. EVENTUALLY, Ill be in my own place without my parents but I had planned on keeping the birds in my room where I am most often which is not going to go well with the SO. He isnt as mad right now because he sleeps pretty far from the noise most of the time... don't think that'll be the case later on :(

If your SO puts up with your bird or actually likes em, be suuuuuuuuper grateful!
edit: hes not making me get rid of them, he just rages whenever theyre being annoying because its extremely irritating to him and it just makes me feel really bad that he has to put up with it. to the point where I really resent the bird for it. Codys awesome, I love hanging out with him but you know that sick to your stomach feeling when something reaaal bad is happening?

Malalol fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Apr 17, 2013

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Malalol posted:

If your SO puts up with your bird or actually likes em, be suuuuuuuuper grateful!

My bird was here before any SO I meet. Probably going to have to be one of the knock-out questions so to speak. I would hate to be in a situation where I had to choose between SO and bird.

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah, my SO doesn't like my birds but has made it clear he doesn't want/expect me to give them up. Rosy's stopped her stupid OH MY GOD WE'RE IN A NEW APARTMENT LET ME SHRIEK ABOUT IT cockatiel shenanigans, so that's okay; Amadeus is as clingy and squeaky as ever, but that's my own fault since the entire time I've owned him he's been the center of my universe. :v: We're working on his independence, leaving him in the cage to entertain himself, teaching him to stay instead of flying to me whenever I move past arm's reach, stuff like that. Little things that make cohabitation more tolerable for bird and boyfriend.

Amadeus doesn't SCREAMSCREAMSCREAM like that video, though. I've no idea what to recommend. :(

LITERALLY A BIRD fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Apr 17, 2013

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Ohtori does, or rather, did. He'll still do it if the door to his room is closed and he can hear us, like when we come back home or want to do things that birds should not be involved in. We leave the radio on to mask things a bit but it isn't always enough. It took a long time, but he yelled for shorter and shorter periods, and now he'll yell for more like 5 minutes maybe rather than 30 or more. It just took time, patience, and 100% refusal to respond in any way to him when he screams. Oh, and you have to say "bye bye" if you're leaving-god help you if you don't, then he screams for much longer because HOW loving DARE YOU, YOU DIDN'T SAY BYE SO WHERE THE gently caress ARE YOU

Nowadays you can even leave the room (door open) temporarily to do whatever without him screaming, so long as you're constantly calling back to tell him you're around. Using the bathroom is so much easier now that it isn't necessary to grab two birds before going.

Steve? Steve is Steve. Sometimes he shrieks, sometimes he doesn't give a poo poo, sometimes he'll fly off into another room to sit by himself on a hanging spiral rope perch.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

Sunny screams his head off when he knows that we're doing stuff that is NOT PAYING ATTENTION TO HIM!!!! and has to kindly alert us to the fact that a bird needs to be played with. He knows when we're out/sleeping though, and he's very quiet during then. Cheeky just makes little wheeee wheeee noises whenever he feels like it because he is a cockatiel.

My parents absolutely love the poo poo out of my birds, it's amazing that a few years ago they just didn't even see the point of owning birds and now everyday they need to have snuggletimes with them for at least an hour. Not so much with Cheeky, because well, :derptiel:. They still think he's adorable though. :3:

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Pookie's most annoying "pay attention to me" noise is barking like our dog.

Loud.

Countinuous.

Monotonous.

Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark.

It's absolutely maddening.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

So, I recorded Ohtori at various points today.

His noises when still covered but telling the world it's time to get up: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cJH07MqYRE

Contact calling: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJ1rEGgq8bY

Screaming: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIxmYtkEAtc

The noises in the screaming video? He used to do that non-stop if we so much as left his sight. I think the longest recorded time was two hours of non-stop screaming before I could go back in. Now, that's mostly it, he yells on/off for maybe five to ten minutes when we leave, and never screams any other time.

He also has this noise that must be his protest noise or something, it's similar to the fear/pain noise but different pitch and urgency. It's really squeaky and hilarious. He used to do it when picked up, for example, especially if being taken away from something he wants... but he's so used to that he doesn't do it anymore, so I couldn't record it. :saddowns:

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

Ohtori sounds adorable. I dont think noise volume really goes through on a computer video, so all it sounds like is burbles and mumbles to me.

Is that steve? My cockatiels keep calling back to him :3:

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

Yeah I wish Amadeus sounded like that. :3: His mannerisms are very Pyrrhura, though, even if his sounds aren't! That lean-quiver-wingtremble is exactly what Ama does when he wants somebody or something.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Yeah, the sounds are a bit rubbish. I could record him with a dictaphone if wanted, but otherwise that's the best video recording thing available here.

And yup, that's Steve in the background. Cute that they're calling back, I'd love to see how he'd interact with another 'tiel someday.

It's late so they're both hanging out in their cages, Steve napping/preening, and Ohtori preening after his bath in between attempts at destroying a toy. Neither are making any noise other than beak grinding. :3:

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Pookah posted:

Pookie's most annoying "pay attention to me" noise is barking like our dog.

Loud.

Countinuous.

Monotonous.

Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark Bark.

It's absolutely maddening.

Hannah's 'pay attention' scream is something he learned from our lovebird YEARS ago. I need to record it.

Now that I think about it, aside from his growl he does when I shower him, I can't think of any noises he DIDN'T learn from another bird.

I also think Hannah was mocking me today. I went to the dentist today and they numbed my mouth. Hannah was whistling to me so I tried to whistle back which obviously didn't work. He started whistling and laughing. I might be imagining things but I'm pretty sure he was making fun of me.

BlueDiablo
Aug 15, 2001

Slippery when sexy!
I was on skype with someone earlier today and Zapp would basically mug for the camera the entire time, pacing behind me (backlit by the setting sun for a more dramatic affect, naturally), peeking up from the edge of the couch so the person I was talking to could see him but I couldn't, and then sitting next to me and catching some Z's.

This. Bird.

Deadly Chlorine
Nov 8, 2009

The accumulated filth of all the dog poop and hairballs will foam up about their waists and all the catladies and dog crazies will look up and shout "Save us!"
... and I'll look down and whisper
"No."

BlueDiablo posted:

I was on skype with someone earlier today and Zapp would basically mug for the camera the entire time, pacing behind me (backlit by the setting sun for a more dramatic affect, naturally), peeking up from the edge of the couch so the person I was talking to could see him but I couldn't, and then sitting next to me and catching some Z's.

This. Bird.
Haha this is amazing, when I'm hangoutting on Google+ Sunny will try to :stare: at the webcam as hard as possible too, when he's on my shoulder and I use my phone to take a picture of him he looks at the camera too. I wonder how they know to do this, it's amazing. :3:

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Archer always manages to pose for the camera too. I can never get good photos of my other birds, but I have a ton of Archer. It's like he knows everyone in the Bird Crazy thread is going to see him.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Ffffffffffffffuck, a parakeet speaking Japanese trying to make the romance.

http://youtu.be/AnNijBnQWmk

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide
I think this will be the next big style in eye wear this summer...

Can I DPS this time, daddy?

Back when they had the old cage.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

AvianPundit posted:

I think this will be the next big style in eye wear this summer...

Is there any danger from the bird freaking out at a sudden noise and clawing your eyes out?

I'm still working on getting my birds to trust my hand (it's been a long 2 months), but I've felt what their sharp beaks can do and they will never go near my face, ever.

AvianPundit
Feb 14, 2013

Lollercide

Bioshuffle posted:

Is there any danger from the bird freaking out at a sudden noise and clawing your eyes out?

I'm still working on getting my birds to trust my hand (it's been a long 2 months), but I've felt what their sharp beaks can do and they will never go near my face, ever.

She was on my husband's shoulder and then climbed onto the arm of his glasses by her own volition. I wanted to snap a picture of it before we took her off there. But yeah, it's probably not something we want to encourage.

AvianPundit fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Apr 19, 2013

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

Bioshuffle posted:

Curiously enough, I've never been face-hurt by any of my birds, not even when Marshall was a lovely aggressive bite-machine. I've been nipped on the ear or nose a little too hard while being preened and Marci used to really like pulling on my lip piercings but since then... nothing at all. I give large amounts of bird-kisses and mush birds against my face and have no injuries from doing so! Don't write it out, maybe some day your bird will be calm enough to lay in bed and fluff lots of feathers against your face like Finn does :)

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

It really depends on the bird. I bury my nose in Ama's feathers and we give each other kisses, and he sometimes hangs upside down from my bangs and looks like a huge dork. :3: Early in the morning especially, he likes to rub his cheek against mine. When I'm sad he tries to lick my eyelashes.

Rosy on the other hand flips out if any body part but a hand comes too close to her.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich
Elle likes it when I bring her close to my face so she can nibble on my glasses. The problem is that she sometimes tries climbing up my face in the process and I wind up with a half a cockatiel foot up my nose.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Ritz LOVES standing on faces. Oh, you're laying down? Sure, I'll put one foot in your mouth and the other up your nose while I preen.

Big jerk.

electricgoat
Aug 17, 2009
Thanks as always to you kind folks for your answers! I would honestly be totally fine with the bird eating off my dinner plate. My dog used to do that me, but only to me because I'm a huge pushover, haha. Anyways, what my roommate is ok with is him giving the bird a spoonful of my dinner (now that he has read more about birds, he sees that it basically will be eating exactly the same sorts of things I do) while I stand by the cage feasting away on the very same food. But I do still have a few questions about food. I eat tonnes of lentils and beans. How are those for birds? I also make a decent amount of seitan (a wheat gluten-based protein), but I read the discussion about not giving birds lots of bread, so I'm thinking I shouldn't share that with the bird? What about brown rice? Also, I don't eat a tonne of soy, but is that something I could share with the bird?

I had originally intended to give the bird some morning visiting, but it seems that my morning before work would fall only about 7 hours into the bird's sleep. I think I should probably just leave the bird alone and do my best to stay quiet while in the kitchen? Like, it would mess up the bird if I were to wake it up, give it some food, play with it, and then put it back in its cage for more sleep, right?

It turns out the bird will be a female parrotlet, and she will be living here in two weeks. Yikes! I don't feel ready! Is there anything I need to know about this being a female?

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

Amaya posted:

I give large amounts of bird-kisses and mush birds against my face and have no injuries from doing so! Don't write it out, maybe some day your bird will be calm enough to lay in bed and fluff lots of feathers against your face like Finn does :)
That doesn't sound bad :3:

Are there any tips for getting from the "Ok fine, I'll let you feed me millet" stage to "you can pet me" stage? I've started feeding them individual little strand of millet instead of holding the whole stick, but if I touch them, all hell breaks loose.

I've been letting them out of the cage, but I feel like the whole process of chasing them back inside (where I basically kind of move my hands slowly to usher them towards the door) is counter productive to the training process. Any better ideas for getting the little buggers back inside without scaring them?

ILoveYou
Apr 21, 2010

hello PI,

I have a young male parrotlet that doesn't really seem that into his toys or anything. He doesn't play with his chew toys or his bells much at all. He mostly stands there. When he's playful he hops around the perches in his cage while screetching. It doesn't really seem normal to me. Is it? Is there something I can do?

Amaya
Aug 5, 2006

Paws up!

electricgoat posted:

It turns out the bird will be a female parrotlet, and she will be living here in two weeks. Yikes! I don't feel ready! Is there anything I need to know about this being a female?

I still hate all of this and I feel like your roommate is a loving idiot and shouldn't be able to own ANYTHING much less a bird but whatever :( At least you're trying. Anyway, grumping aside. Female birds can lay eggs. Obviously, having just one will make sure they can't actually have babies inside of them, but it can still bring up a lot of troubles for the bird. Best thing to do is to make sure she doesn't have any nesting materials. No nest box, no cotton balls or fluffy stuff. Make usre the cage gets cleaned out after ripping up a toy or something. Also make sure that he/you don't pet the bird lower than it's head as this can trigger hormonal poo poo. I've never had my birds lay eggs and I'm not as knowledgeable about it as I'd like to be though so I hope someone else will chime in!

Bioshuffle posted:

Are there any tips for getting from the "Ok fine, I'll let you feed me millet" stage to "you can pet me" stage? I've started feeding them individual little strand of millet instead of holding the whole stick, but if I touch them, all hell breaks loose.

I've been letting them out of the cage, but I feel like the whole process of chasing them back inside (where I basically kind of move my hands slowly to usher them towards the door) is counter productive to the training process. Any better ideas for getting the little buggers back inside without scaring them?

Honestly, I don't know the best way to make that jump. Marci was HORRIFIED of us when we brought her home but I just sat by her cage with sunflower seeds till she would venture out then praise her a bunch and give her a bunch more seeds and then just... hang out. I'd put her on my shoulder and go about my day watching tv and doing computer things.

As far as getting them in the cage, yeah that's kind of a rough way to do it because you're literally relying on your hands to scare them into the cage. BIG THING COMING AT YOU, BETTER GET INTO THE SAFETY OF YOUR CAGE. It'd be way better if you could get another dowel rod and train them to step up onto it (which shouldn't be hard as, iirc, they have those perches already.) and then use that to transport them in and out of the cage until they're used to you.

and touching them... Marci was horrified of hands for a long time because at petco they retrieved their birds...by grabbing them with a massive black glove :( it's only this year - two years after - that she's starting to calm down and doesn't instantly spook away if someone's hand comes toward her faster than 1mph. It just might take a bit of time. I got her used to it by just very slowly and softly petting her while cooing praise. Just for one stroke then a little longer. Always stop your hand and tell them it's okay if you see them starting to flinch away. Especially if you use your hands to herd them it'll take a while for them to loosen up.

I hope all these words help :x

ILoveYou posted:

hello PI,

I have a young male parrotlet that doesn't really seem that into his toys or anything. He doesn't play with his chew toys or his bells much at all. He mostly stands there. When he's playful he hops around the perches in his cage while screetching. It doesn't really seem normal to me. Is it? Is there something I can do?

My quaker is just like this. He couldn't give a poo poo about 99.9% of toys and all he wants to do is sit all day and snuggle. You can rotate the toys around to make them more interesting and maybe think about shredding toys if you don't have them? Finn doesn't want to play but he really likes to gently caress poo poo up haha. It's normal though, don't fret :)

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Bioshuffle posted:

That doesn't sound bad :3:

Like Amaya said, stick training would be good. You don't want them to be associating your hands with anything potentially scary (like ushering them back). Do they still have clipped wings?

As for touching them... time and patience! Give them time to build up the trust, of both you, and your hands. When they reliably take millet from your hand, you could put it in your palm so they have to reach in-and possibly step on you-to get it. Or hold it behind a finger, so they have to lean over/touch it to get the millet, and eventually could step on it. Will they sit on your shoulder or anything?

ILoveYou posted:

hello PI,

Probably normal. How big is his cage? What sort of toys does he already have?

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

ILoveYou posted:

hello PI,

Some birds don't really play. My cockatiels don't. They shred things, but I think that's just a foraging behavior, not actual play behavior. I gave them a couple new toys today because they've chainsawed through everything else in their cage, except for their perches, in under two weeks. Basically anything that wasn't a perch, metal, or plastic, is gone. It's pretty fun watching them chainsaw through wood toys. (they've got some new toys now, we'll see how long they last)

You might want to try giving your bird some fresh branches with leaves on it, I've found that birds that won't even chew shredders will go for the fresh leaves and twigs. Just wash the branches off first like you would with veggies.

e. also, even if your parrotlett never touches a toy simply giving him new things to look at in his cage on a regular basis is enriching.

Zomodok
Dec 9, 2004

by Y Kant Ozma Post

SaNChEzZ posted:

Ritz LOVES standing on faces. Oh, you're laying down? Sure, I'll put one foot in your mouth and the other up your nose while I preen.

Every time I wake up from a nap.

Every. Time.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Zomodok posted:

Every time I wake up from a nap.

Same here. I live in fear of waking up with poo on my face.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

So it's rather warm today, so I put a nice big plate full of chilly water up on top of ritz's cage so he could take a bath if he wanted to. He took a bath in his tiny water dish :derptiel:

Then he was flying around like a nut, all wet and heavy.

Hi da-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT SCARY THING IN FRONT OF YOUR FACE AIRBRAKES! (the butane looks WAY closer to his gym than at actually is, I'm not a terrible bird parent :ohdear: )