Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Oh if it's post our leaked schedule time:

(mine is definitely wrong because I have too many vacation weeks, am missing week 49 entirely and only have 2 weeks of community surgery when I should have 4...so it'll change, but hopefully not too much because I like it!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh if it's post our leaked schedule time:

Of course it is.

That font is dangerously close to comic sans. I think you do these things to make me twitch.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

HelloSailorSign posted:

:stare: It really is true, animals owned by vets and vet students end up being the best (worst?) zebras.

What was the other paper about?

He was in a study of declaw methods; laser vs. Resco. They found no difference.

When I was on clinics, we got together in a room and spent 4 hours picking our rotations. We were split into 10 groups of 10, and did it on the computer. A random group would start, pick rotations, and then go to the next group. It worked pretty well, actually.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
^^^people in our class might literally come to blows if we had to do that.

Enelrahc posted:

Of course it is.

That font is dangerously close to comic sans. I think you do these things to make me twitch.

I mean I wouldn't call that hypothesis wrong necessarily...

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
The ways ours works is that there's 2 sets of drafts: core and elective. We draft core first. First up is SA Med, so the list is randomized and you draft where you want your SA Med rotation. Then Anesthesia, etc. Then you break for lunch. Then we draft the electives. People apparently start crying and freak out in the middle of the draft as they watch their electives fill up before their very eyes.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

Now you can take this knowledge and turn it into part of yourself.
For us, our elective stuff is purely by draft lottery done by computer. Everyone ranks the rotations they want and the computer eventually spits out a schedule - you don't get to pick the weeks for anything, though you can swap things around. I think the OVC has one of the laxest schedules by pure virtue of the fact that small animal streams do not have to do a single week of large animal... But by contrast we are forced to do a 8 week external elective at a mixed animal practice. In practice this is incredibly variable and honestly mine was mostly worthless for a number of things.

At the end of it, we end up with something like this: My schedule for 2012-2013

A total of only 38 weeks, honestly not the most rigorous curriculum.

This year was great too because we actually lost several specialty rotations, forcing us to find extra weeks in random places. I ended up doing a LOT of emergency medicine electives...

(E: this table actually isn't quite correct since I changed a lot but it gets my point across.)

Solis fucked around with this message at 07:58 on Mar 19, 2013

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

Solis posted:

I think the OVC has one of the laxest schedules by pure virtue of the fact that small animal streams do not have to do a single week of large animal

We don't have to either. I am clinging to those 2 weeks of livestock medicine with a death grip because I'm sad that I kind of had to change my track from Food/Small.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I am a small animal veterinarian.

I was repeating that in my head while Chaco had her arm up a goat dystocia. We called UCD and had their large animal vet on the line. I have no idea if he heard the panic in my voice.

We only had normal exam gloves. When I popped in for help, I didn't even have gloves.

Kids didn't make it. Doe may have a chance. Here's to hoping.

Seriously.

:wtc:

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

I am a small animal veterinarian.

I was repeating that in my head while Chaco had her arm up a goat dystocia. We called UCD and had their large animal vet on the line. I have no idea if he heard the panic in my voice.

We only had normal exam gloves. When I popped in for help, I didn't even have gloves.

Kids didn't make it. Doe may have a chance. Here's to hoping.

Seriously.

:wtc:

That was fun, including the part where the neighbors came over to see if we had called 911 yet (we were in the parking lot with the screaming goat and 4 people in various stages of panic talking soothingly to the goat and also swearing). Let's not do it again real soon.

I did like that the act of calling UCD made the first one finally cooperate and come out, and then there wasn't much the food animal guy could do, but he was really nice! (really, what did we expect him to do over the phone? Rotate the kid for me? Make it less slippery?)

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

I made sure there was one for each of you in this photo.

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
All I remember about pulling babbies is LUBE LOTS OF LUBE

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:
Wait what was a pregnant goat doing in a parking lot

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
We thought that would be easier than trying to get it into our treatment room. It did make the resulting mess easier to clean up, I guess.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Sounds like an interesting day! We currently have a sheep in the clinic who they were going to euthanize for chronic weight loss and then surprise, she's pregnant! Ram must've jumped the fence. The ewe belongs to the university so they're waiting to see what they want to do with her.

Draft day was today. I came out super, super lucky and got everything that I wanted. It was so incredibly stressful though. My stress probably spiked when we were drafting SA Medicine, SA Surgery, and then early in the elective round when the dentistry spot I wanted filled up and I had to scramble and switch things around to get it. The other hiccup was that I had to swap my pathology and LA Surgery rotations because my LA Surgery slot filled. Now I have it before my externship and the rotation doesn't technically end until Monday morning at 8am so I'll have to get someone to cover for me because I have to leave on Sunday. I hope I never have to draft anything ever again. In the theme of posting our schedules:

Edit: also, in the spirit of spring, there was like a wind storm yesterday and a bunch of snow is expected tonight and a bunch of our professors got snowed in today and possibly will be tomorrow too! One of my classmates was snowed in and someone had to draft for her. Oh, Saskatchewan.

Braki fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Mar 21, 2013

Crooked Booty
Apr 2, 2009
arrr
My dog is terrible. He has an extremely narrow chest/frame normally, but this morning his ribcage was really round, i.e. like a normal dog, but abnormal for him. So I took him in, and of course the clinicians all said "He really looks fine, but can do rads for your peace of mind" (while looking at me like I was completely insane). I felt like an idiot until they called me in class an hour later to say he probably needs surgery.

It looked almost exactly like gorilla glue on radiographs. I went home and found an empty plastic bag under my kitchen table. It used to contain 9-10 dinner rolls, each the size of my fist. So apparently he ate those while I was in the shower, only minutes after he ate 2 cups of kibble for breakfast. At least they were cooked and not raw dough.

So he's hospitalized while we play the waiting game. Being a vet student's dog, he of course has a convoluted history of motility issues, esophageal weirdness, dysphagia, etc... so who knows what will happen! :suicide:

edit: 8 hours later, his stomach continues to grow! Stupid dog had never counter-surfed until now. :doh:

Crooked Booty fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Mar 22, 2013

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Off to do my first extramural clinical placement for three weeks. Any last words of advice?

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Well, all of Aidan's tests came back normal except for a low folate, so we're going with IBD for now. We're doing a food trial and if that doesn't work we'll proceed to an endoscopic biopsy. So far though cutting chicken out of his food has been a pain in the rear end. He is so food motivated all the time. I'm at the point now where, after discussing the merits of Urinary SO with some of the internists, I'm now going to wean Charlie off his urinary food and just see what happens. Before, Aidan was licking his bowl, and I took the bowl away, and now he's eating the tiny scraps off the carpet, and even if we fix that I'm not perfect and forget to wash the spoon I use about once a week and then he licks it in the sink. It would be so much easier if we could just feed them the same thing.

Ugh. Cats.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Parvovirus dog came in comatose, unreadable temp, HR 80. Could only get a 24ga IV cath in due to hypovolemia. Clients wanted to try. I didn't expect it to live an hour, let alone the near 36 hours it has - and is now normothermic, normocardic, QAR. Hypoproteinemic almost to the point of needing support, but not yet. Definite neutropenia, smear was mostly RBCs.

Started vomiting frequently tonight... But it's on maropitant. Nothing palpable.

I grab my trusty pal ultrasound. Haven't seen parvovirus intestines before, they look bad. Mod diffuse peritonitis. Oh, and an intussception. A mother loving intussception. It was getting better. I was telling the client all along that she looked bad, but dog kept proving me wrong. I started believing in their hope. I shouldn't have. Dog's not stable enough for surgery especially with that bloodwork, let alone it still has to survive the rest of the parvovirus.

gently caress that poo poo. gently caress it to heck.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

That sucks, I'm sorry. You did the best you could!

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

A little creative surgery helps turn a few sick pets into a new and improved friend!
Sorry HSS 8(
What ended up happening?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

The clients didn't show up for the evening when she was looking really bad. That would've been euth night. Next morning, she was looking better and not vomiting nearly as much so they wanted to giver her time. Boss and office manager starting to get a bit... not mad, per se... as clients don't have much money a nd though they're willing to spend it, Boss doesn't believe they'll pay their bill.

Waited a day and did a recheck scan... the intussception is gone. I was so confused and happy - apparently that can happen though. Luckily I'm off for two days because I've gotten way too attached to this case and since we may be sending it out for home care (which I don't even know if that would be bad, as we're not doing anything that couldn't be done SQ at home) and I couldn't send her off out of sheer worry - everything I discuss with them is all about her best interest and I can't look them in the eye and tell them that going home is in the best interest.

Still worried that she's not gonna make it, but this drat dog keeps proving me wrong. :unsmith:

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!
Keeping my fingers crossed for her, HSS! That is amazing the intussusception pulled itself back.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

She went home. Quite the plethora of meds. Godspeed, little one :patriot:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Per client...

Up and walking (though still weak), handling bland turkey baby food without vomiting, and perking up.

Hot dang.

I have seen dogs that looked far better than her die within 12 hours, and here she's better. Clients are ridiculously happy - I think this dog is a child to them.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

Per client...

Up and walking (though still weak), handling bland turkey baby food without vomiting, and perking up.

Hot dang.

I have seen dogs that looked far better than her die within 12 hours, and here she's better. Clients are ridiculously happy - I think this dog is a child to them.

Glad to hear it's going well, I hope she continues to improve!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I'm being a bad vet and posting on SA while I'm working, but....

We're down a tech today so it's gonna be one of those days, and I'm seeing an animal that was recently in heat and "got served the business" and now there are problems. Super would enjoy the type of dog and all the "papers" it has, but can't go much into that.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

HelloSailorSign posted:

We're down a tech today so it's gonna be one of those days, and I'm seeing an animal that was recently in heat and "got served the business" and now there are problems. Super would enjoy the type of dog and all the "papers" it has, but can't go much into that.

MOAR GOATS

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

HelloSailorSign posted:

You sure are having an exciting day! I hope you survive it well!

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005
Goat never showed up. Thank god.

Solis
Feb 2, 2011

So our 4th years finally finished exams this week... This is it, barring rewrites our class is finished! It's very surreal.

Does any other school make you guys sit through finals even after writing the navle?

Dr. Chaco
Mar 30, 2005

Solis posted:

So our 4th years finally finished exams this week... This is it, barring rewrites our class is finished! It's very surreal.

Does any other school make you guys sit through finals even after writing the navle?

Nah, we don't have tests fourth year except for NAVLE and state boards.

Braki
Aug 9, 2006

Happy birthday!

Solis posted:

We have tests in our rotations but we don't have classes so there are no finals.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I really hate it when people sign off on an estimate and have no intention of paying. That's almost $350 not coming to the clinic! And then someone who we've never seen before wants us to trust them that they're gonna pay us in two days... Uh, yah, right. You and the last 5 people that said they'd pay us later (only two of those paid any amount at all).

I became a vet for the medicine. I'm not a drat accountant, finance planner, bank, or loan buddy.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

HelloSailorSign posted:

I really hate it when people sign off on an estimate and have no intention of paying. That's almost $350 not coming to the clinic! And then someone who we've never seen before wants us to trust them that they're gonna pay us in two days... Uh, yah, right. You and the last 5 people that said they'd pay us later (only two of those paid any amount at all).

I became a vet for the medicine. I'm not a drat accountant, finance planner, bank, or loan buddy.

Or, in addition, signing it and then being shocked at the price! It was on the estimate, people!

We started taking 25% of the low estimate for sick animals because people weren't paying. If it's a planned surgery you just pay at the end, but if your pet needs to be hospitalized that day we take the percentage. We have more trouble getting people to pay for labwork, to be honest.

Parrotstalking
Oct 6, 2012
Does anyone have advice on how to figure out/prepare for the financial burdens from taking out so much in loans?

I'm going out of state to MSU, and I think my tuition for a year is about $47k, not including books, supplies, and living expenses. I'm being offered up to $73k in loans, which I really don't want to take much beyond my tuition's worth if I can help it. I'll have some help with living expenses, but I'm still looking at about $200k in unsubsidized loans at an interest rate of about 7% at the end of four years.

This is scary! Does anyone have advice on how to approach this, or if loan forgiveness programs (like doing a government food animal program for X number of years) or working for non-profits is a worthwhile endeavour?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

http://vinfoundation.org/AppUtil/document/default.aspx?pid=0&catid&objectid=24357&objecttypeid=10&redirectFromMiscDefault=1

I've heard that this calculator is useful for determining debt burden. I have not used it myself, but some of my classmates have.

Khelmar
Oct 12, 2003

Things fix me.

Parrotstalking posted:

Does anyone have advice on how to figure out/prepare for the financial burdens from taking out so much in loans?

I'm going out of state to MSU, and I think my tuition for a year is about $47k, not including books, supplies, and living expenses. I'm being offered up to $73k in loans, which I really don't want to take much beyond my tuition's worth if I can help it. I'll have some help with living expenses, but I'm still looking at about $200k in unsubsidized loans at an interest rate of about 7% at the end of four years.

This is scary! Does anyone have advice on how to approach this, or if loan forgiveness programs (like doing a government food animal program for X number of years) or working for non-profits is a worthwhile endeavour?

Go talk to the vet school's financial folks. There are a variety of government programs that can help - if you do an internship / residency and work in academia, they may forgive it after 10 years or so. Otherwise, they may write it off and charge you taxes on the amount they write off. Either way, you need to find out now about all these things, so you can plan out what you're going to do going forward.

YourCreation
Jan 4, 2004

Parrotstalking posted:

Don't forget that you get charged a fee for taking out the loans, so if you take out the exact amount for tuition you will not have enough to pay it due to the fee being take out of that amount.

Enelrahc
Jun 17, 2007

Don't forget, you were born with two kidneys for a reason!

Topo and I have our last surgery of 3rd year today on a sorry looking (but bizarrely sweet) Chihuahua with garbage mouth and luxating patellas. I feel bad for her. I hope someone adopts her who takes care of that stank mouth. But anyways, hooray last surgery!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS
Okay, here's the REAL 4th year schedule. (minus comic sans-like font for the sensitive among us...)

that chi did awesome under anesthesia btw. much better than expected.

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Apr 25, 2013

• Locked thread